Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ohio Lights #60369 07/10/00 01:10 AM
P
Pam Baggett Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I recently took a trip to Ohio over the Memorial Day Weekend.
TOLEDO HARBOR: We started from Columbus going to Toledo, drove all the way there and found that the lighthouse was 8 miles out in the harbor and was not visible unless you rented and charter boat. Left Toledo with no lighthouse pictures and never to return again.
MARBLEHEAD: Lake Erie was so choppy that the water was white-capping as if it were the ocean. The waves crashed against the rocky shoreline and you could understand the need for a lighthouse here. Marblehead was just as I had seen it in many books and magazines. As the cold lake wind blew and the waves spat at my feet, I walked out on the jagged rocks to get at just the same position and angle to make my pictures. The results were good considering the overcast of the skies. These pictures will rival some of those I have seen.

SOUTH BASS ISLAND: located just a few miles down the road and a ferry ride away. Everyone boarded the ferry and rushed to the sheltered part of the boat to get away from the cold driving wind except me. I stay out to brave the elements just in case I could see the lighthouse. As we approached the island you could see the lighthouse far to the left, not clear enough to take a picture. After everyone had gotten off the ferry I asked the ferry driver when we left if he could pull over just a bit closer to the lighthouse. He shrugged his shoulders and gruffed out "Maybe". I thought to myself, "He was not a pleasant man but he must have to maintain a certain course. At least I asked." I must have thought there was some hope because I stayed out on the deck as we left the dock. I noticed that the ferry was pulling to the left!!! The ferry was directly in front of the lighthouse. I had the most head on shot I could have asked for. The old gruff turned out to be nice after all! But the wind whipped me from side to side and the ferry rocked so badly that the pictures were a bit blurred. Nevertheless I have the story to tell of the ferry boat driver and the memory of having the chance to see South Bass Island.

VERMILLION: it is now getting late in the day. By 7pm I reached the site of yet another famous lighthouse. Luckily there is still a lot of time left to clip off a few shots of the lighthouse. The only time the sun even tried to come out was while I was at Vermillion. The sun peeked through the clouds for a brief moment and I got some nice pictures. One of my favorites was one taken through the branches of a tree grown in a "V". Relics such as an old propeller and anchor perched around the grounds made for interesting pictures. Even though some people who have seen the pictures say that it looks like a lighthouse at a putt-putt course, I liked the view and the lighthouse.

LORAIN: the entire town was quiet on that early Sunday morning. Just a few people were stirring at the marina, all the yachts and personal boat were docked due to the windy, cold conditions. Maybe the overcast day had a melancholy effect on me, but it brought to mind how the lighthouse sat so lonely out in the water with only a huge tanker to pass by. Also I thought about the days long gone that that vessel needed the light for guidance in and out of the harbor and how sad it was that the lighthouse was no longer needed. But then again, we do need its presence to remind us of that time in history and I became happy knowing that it was still there for my pleasure today.
Pam

Pam B.
Re: Ohio Lights #60370 07/10/00 04:04 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Pam,

What a great post! Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. It sounds like the weather wasn't too cooperative, but it also left an impression on you. Thanks again.

-Todd

Re: Ohio Lights #60371 07/10/00 09:18 PM
Brent Offline
Thanks for your descriptive post on the "Ohio Lights", Pam.....I'm planning on being up in that neck of the woods in late August/early September and found your narrative to be quite useful and interesting.

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Ohio Lights #60372 07/11/00 01:37 PM
LamarB Offline
Thanks Pam for your travelogue. I sure enjoyed it.

Re: Ohio Lights #60373 07/11/00 09:03 PM
Art Offline
Thanks Pam. BT,DT. Good job. Looking forward to some pics.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Ohio Lights #60374 07/12/00 09:29 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Great post, Pam. Glad you were able to get a good view of South Bass. My father-in-law has a boat at Port Clinton, so we have been to the light quite a few times, really a pretty light up close. Did you happen to take the elevator to the top of the Perry Monument on Put-in-Bay while you were there? It is quite a spectacular view, and technically a functioning lighthouse.

Brent, if you make a similar trip, there are 3 more lights in the general area also. Old Port Clinton Light, Point Retreat (private light, only 12 years old), and Huron Lighthouse. If you need any help locating, feel free to e-mail me.

Re: Ohio Lights #60375 07/12/00 09:15 PM
Brent Offline
Thanks Rod....I just might need alittle assistance....LOL! I haven't established an agenda yet but when I do I'll have a better "handle" on just how much time I'll be spending in Ohio. I'll be heading to Michigan for a family-reunion which will begin in Saginaw and end up in Whitefish Point. Thanks again.

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Ohio Lights #60376 07/15/00 08:19 AM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
good to hear from you Pam- sounds like an eventful trip! If you have the capability of posting any of your pictures, we would LOVE to see them!

chris g

Chris G
Re: Ohio Lights #60377 07/15/00 11:28 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Here's a picture of Toledo Harbor Lighthouse for you, Pam. This guy kept wanting to get in the picture, so I had him hold my Toledo lighthouse in front of the real Toledo lighthouse. It turned out pretty well.

Thanks for the great report, it made me feel like I was along with you on your lighthousing adventure.

SaintWackoPaul'
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Ohio Lights #60378 07/15/00 11:40 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Good to hear from you Pam in Clarksville, Tenn! You still owe me 13 since Christmas?
Thanks for the report I'll be sure to refer to it when I'm in the area!
Paul, who is that guy?! lol Great graphic!
- Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Ohio Lights #60379 07/15/00 12:28 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Wow, Paul...he can even walk on water now? I'm really impressed! LOL.

Re: Ohio Lights #60380 08/10/00 07:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the details of you trip! It sounds like it was a very nice one. My trip to Ohio this year didn't come to pass, but I want to go more than ever now.

Ned

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,681 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users