Next Thread
Print Thread
Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60204 03/26/07 12:53 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Friday March 16th 2007
Headed out 4:30 AM eastern for a 6:30am flight. Spent an hour on the ground being de-iced on the way to Portland by way of Chicago. Our transfer plane from Chicago was held for us, and we were greeted at the Gate (after our best 'amazing race' dash from Gate C17 to Gate A14) with we were the last plane out of LI. - everything was shut down because of the ice storm. We arrived in Portland OR at 11am, rented our SUV (Dodge Nitro - Cooper color), checked in early at the Holiday Inn Express and we were off to lunch by 1pm. After finding a new Italian restauraunt for eggplant panenies we were off to the Historic Columbia River Highway. We climbed 5 waterfalls and saw some teriffic views on a 72 degree sunny day before calling it a day.

Crown Point Vista House

Mount Hood

Latorell Falls

Bridal Veil Falls

Multnomah Falls

The rest of the WACKO crew (Derith, Sharon, Linda, Sharon Puls, Gebby, Eric, Bryan, and MaryAnn & I) arrived by 10 pm Pacific so we made arrangements for our next early day's start.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60205 03/26/07 01:11 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sounds like quite the trip. We want pictures and details! smile

How was the weather? It has been really nice in the west where we live...no ice storms or airports shut down.

Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60206 03/27/07 01:19 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Yeah, pictures!!! Many pictures!!! towel

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60207 03/27/07 02:12 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
nono Not to steal Bob's thunder, but I just had to post this one. Bob, Bryan Acree, and Sharon Puls doing the camera dance at Umpqua River.

]www.lighthousekeepers.com/uploads/files/weasel58@tampabay.rr.com/bob.jpg[/IMG]

Eric
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60208 03/27/07 04:27 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Saturday March 17th 2007
Today we're off early for a 3 1/2 hour trip to Reedsport OR to see Umpqua River Lighthouse where we climbed the lighthouse, and visited the museum. The highlight of the visit is below.

Umpqua River OR Red & White 1ST Order Fresnel

Umpqua River OR

Then we're off to Bandon OR (1 1/2 hours) for lunch in town at the Bandon OR Fish Market where we had some very fresh fried fish. Big delicious juicy prawns for me. MaryAnn had snapper which she raved about.
After lunch we traveled a few blocks outside of town for a photo op of Coquille River Light before visiting the lighthouse upclose at the park.

Coquille River Lighthouse OR from across the river

Coquille OR Upclose

We now head to Gold Beach OR for the night, and find a restauraunt on thr River for our St Patricks Day celebration including Guinness and Green beer.

Sunday March 18th 2007
Sunday morning we're up early for our 4 hour boat trip to St George Reef and maybe some whale watching. The boat is bigger than expected and the seas are calm. Good start on a partly cloudy day.
[We were suppose to out to StGeorge on the helicopter and land on the lighthouse but were not allowed by the Fish & Wildlife Commission at the last minute. (That was my main reason for going on this trip) Derith scrambled to find the boat as an alternative. The guy doing the restoration can't even get out there to do maintenance because of the sea gulls and seals.]

St George Reef Lighthouse is huge! You can't believe how big until your close. 17 foot high rock with a 90 foot tower. It was 7 stories high. It had a 1st Order fresnel."AMERICA'S MOST EXPENSIVE LIGHTHOUSE; ENGINEERING FEAT TAKING 10 YEARS TO CONSTRUCT, BUILT BY GEORGE BALLANTYNE; REPLACED BY LARGE NAVIGATIONAL BUOY; RELIT AS PRIVATE AID TO NAVIGATION IN OCTOBER 2002"

St George Reef CA- larger than life

St George Reef CA and Whale Blowing

Pulling out of the marina we find Pelican Bay which we also spotted on the boat.

Pelican Bay OR - private light

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60209 03/28/07 09:43 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Sunday (continued)
A 30 minute trip to Battery Point brings us there at low tide and we're able to dryly cross the rocky tidal pool. When we arrive we meet a the couple who live at the lighthouse. We ask how they got to be the keepers and find out that they just happened to be at the right place at the right time. They visited (while traveling) the lighthouse and we're told that the Association was looking for new live-in keepers. They applied. Then we asked if the could stick around a few days to be interviewed. They had no lighthouse background and had lived in an apartment in Colorado. Wow! They seem to be very dedicated to there new duties, and gave us a great tour although we were all a little miffed by their Luck.
The view from their kitchen window and upstairs bathroom was the Pacific Ocean from the edge of a cliff.

Battery Point CA

Next stop Trinidad lighthouse where we meet a young Coastie who gives up his Sunday afternoon to show off his lighthouse. He's also the local ATN guy for that area. We got to climb the light as well as hike down to the fog signal building which was about 100 yards lower on the cliff.

Trinidad CA from the fog signal building

On the way back we stopped to take pictures of the Memorial light and the great view of the cove.

Trinidad Memorial CA for the Rookies

It's getting late and we're to meet Rich and Cam at the marina parking lot where Table Bluff is now located. Cape Mendocino will have to wait for another day.

Table Bluff CA in marina parking lot

Sunday night we meet up with Rich and Cam from Eureks CA at the Somoa Cookout Restaurant for a family style dinner of pot roast and bbq ribs. mmmm!

Monday March 19th 2007
We're off in the morning to meet our contact at a store in town. We travel along some winding desolate roads and arrive at an old General Store with a post office next door. This is the Town. It's 8:50 and the store is closed but immediately opens whe our 2 SUVs pull up in front. A local barrels into the store ahead of us and purchases a six-pack. Our contact pulls up in a Subaru 4 wheel drive. Our group of 9 lines up for the bathroom but it immediately breaks. Our guide tells us there are some campsite bathrooms on the way, so we continue up the mountain as it turns from paved, to well-packed dirt, to rutted gullies but were still in the car. We arrive at the campsite and it begins to rain. I put on my rainsuit just in case. We now head a couple of miles on 4 wheel drive roads encountering cattle at various twists and turns.
When we met with our guide she says, 'I have good new and bad news'. On the dirt roads on the way to Punta Gorda, I was afraid that the panicked calves would fall backwards into the SUV as they scurried off the road. The bad news was the trail gate was closed and canceled extended 4 wheel drive adventure. (She left us at the gate with 'you all look like you're in good shape' and departed saying 'you have cell phones don't you' - ??like they would work where we were???) We would now double the forced march up and down the mountain, cliff, and beach. Trails were sometimes at 45-50 degree angles causing a very physically stressful journey. This trip took 2 hours downhill (a few of the group tried to create shortcuts by cutting downhill across the steep hill instead of using the winding crisscross path. One person lost their balance and slide down through the grass, bushes, and cow chips on their butt but was not injured.) and another 2 1/2 hours uphill. The first part of the trek back was across beach and wetlands. Sometimes crossing running streams on logs, rocks, 2x6s, etc. The second part was up a cliff on a path about 4 feet wide. We climbed about 100 feet up the steep path where the path turned again for another steeper 100 feet. The ecstasy of reach the top of the cliff was on short lived as we prepared for about a 3/4 mile walk across beach grass to the bottom of the next mountain. All the way we could see members of the group at various distance in front and behind us stopping to catch their breath. The fourth part was up the mountain's steep path. It was about a half mile straight up before it crisscrossed to relieve the stress of climbing straight up. A lot of the trip back was side-stepping up the steep wet paths. About 1/3 of the way back I wondered whether I was going to make it. I then thought about a few of the other people with me who were struggling more than me. We all made it! What choice did we have? Climb or Die! At the top of the last crisscross we meet up with a small heard of cattle who seemed to mock us. They seemed to say, we know why we're out on this cold, windy, rainy day but what's the story with these humans? We still had almost a mile back to the beginning of the trailgate and the cars. But the climb now seemed manageable compared to what we just accomplished. I sucked down the last of my water, and trudged on slightly in front of MaryAnn. When the gate and cars were in sight, I called back to MaryAnn that we made it. As I remember, when we got in our car we just looked at each other wondering how we just did what we did? And were very thankful that we did not have to take another step. "It definitely was the hardest most extreme physical challenge of my life." "An adventure to be talked about for the rest of time; as the memory of pain disappears with the feeling of accomplishment. Oh, it was raining too!
We head back to the General Store and are greeted by our local friend from this morning who now holds the door open for us as if he knows what we have accomplished. The bathroom is now working and several of the rain drenched crew change. Somehow I find a copuple of dark chocolate dove bars for a reward lunch, and chug a few bottles of water. Glad to be alive!
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

We Survived Punta Gorda March 19th, 2007

Punta Gorda - 4 1/2 hour hike up & down in Rain

We meet up with Terry and Ruthie at the hotel that night in Fort Bragg, and head out for some beer, pizza and ice cream.

After diner we took a night run to Point Cabrillo.

Point Cabrillo at night - BRILLIANT!

The beams from this light can hardly be shown. This bright light shown the way in the'pitch black' night. I wish I had my video camera. One of the most impressive lights I've ever seen at night! 'OUTRAGEOUS'

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60210 03/28/07 12:27 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I love the pictures of Coquille Bob.

Have you heard of the helicopter tours out to St. George's Reef? I want to try that! smile

Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60211 03/28/07 12:45 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Lorie, we were suppose to out to StGeorge on the helicopter and land on the lighthouse but were not allowed by the Fish & Wildlife Commission anger at the last minute. (That was my main reason for going on this trip) Derith scrambled to find the boat as an alternative. The guy doing the restoration can't even get out there to do maintenance because of the sea gulls and seals. eek We were also suppose to fly over Tillamook too but were done in by the weather! :rolleyes:
A reason to go back.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60212 03/28/07 08:36 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Love your pictures Bob! The waterfalls were lovely, and Disappointment in the fog...wonderful. And the Lens, Wow!

St George and the whale, really like that photo!....a twist on St George and the dragon?? wink

Melody
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60213 03/29/07 09:54 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Tuesday March 20th 2007
Blue Skies! We're off to our private tour of the keepers' houses, one restored-one not. What an out standing job these guys have done. They took all the paint off the wood, restored the subway plaster (plaster job looks like white NYC subway tiles). We got to see the restored 2nd lightkeepers house (now a bed n breakfast, and compare it to the 1st lightkeepers house. The restoration crew is dedicated to perfection as I was amazed at the OUTRAGEOUS results. It was like you walked in to the house on the 1st day after it was first constructed. When I pointed this out to Jim, he said 'Well, the lighthouse family had to live there a few weeks while the interior was painted."

Point Cabrillo CA

An hour ride to our next stop. Drove through a lot of Hippie towns along the way. Very 60s.
We ate in an organic deli/cafe. One of the Dude's walked in with a cowboy hat, farmer jeans, and flip-flops. The owner asked him if he was going to empty the garbage in the compost pile but he said 'maybe tomorrow'. He was offered a homemade cookie for free, and acted like it had something 'majic' in it. LOL

PointArena CA from the cliffs

Cape Arena CA

We climbed this one, and were filled in by the docent that the LH was on the fault line, and is the second LH at the site. the first cracking and falling from an earthquake. The bottom of the lh is a donut which acts as a shock absorber if a earthquake occurs.

6 1/2 hours to our final destination but we stopped at Cape Mendocino on the way which we missed on the way down. An hour in along a 23 mile windy up & down mountaim road through Redwoods, we arrived at sunset.

CapeMendocino CA at the end of a 23 mile windy up & down mountaim road at Sunset

Neat photos are taken at sunset. Now we have to find our way back to civilazation of the same 23 mile windy up & down mountaim road in the dark!

A long day as we pull into Fortuna to sleep, 3 hours short of our destination at Gold Beach.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60214 03/29/07 12:43 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice pictures!!! Keep them coming!!! smile

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60215 03/30/07 10:48 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Wednesday March 21st 2007

We're up a 6am to make up the 3 hours from yesterday in order to get to Cape Blanco. We arrive at 930am and get a private tour and climb. After Cape Blanco, we get to go back to Coquille and get to enter the lighthouse. Pretty neat!

Cape Blanco

Coquille River Interior - most sides

Now back into Bandon, we lunch at the same outdoor fish shack, and most of us orderd the exact same meal that we had the last time.

After lunch, we head to north 1 1/2 hours to Cape Arago where we met some local Indians who give us some history, allow us on their burial grounds, and then let us walk down to the gate at the bridge for some photos. Our hosts point out to us the suspension part of the bridge that is decaying that is not allowing us be authorized to get to the island.

Next stop 2 hours away is Heceta Lighthouse where we'll be spending two nights.

As we come around the winding road we get out first look at Heceta Lighthouse. I immediately pull off to the left side of the road for photos. The lighthouse is at the edge of the cliff and the lightkeepers house which we'll be staying in is overlooking the picturesque ocean cove.

We arrive and are greeted by individuals notes from our hosts taped to the door. We are to come in, make ourselves at home, and get the keys to one of the six beautiful bedrooms in this Victorian house. We tour the house and two of the bedrooms face the ocean, and one the lighthouse. The main floor has two sitting room with ocean views and a full porch with adirondack chairs.

Heceta Head Bedroom View

OUTRAGEOUS! We all vote to pick up some KFC, beer and ice cream and enjoy our surroundings. "Life is GOOD!"

At sunset we hike up the hill to enjoy a beautiful Pacific Ocean Sunset. Eric, Ken, and Bryan scramble on the hill behind the LH to get that calendar shot.

Heceta Head Sunset

Heceta Head Fresnel Lights Up the Cliff

Now back to the keepershouse for cocktails and ice cream.

Heceta Head Sunset Reflection on LH

Heceta Lightkeepers House Where We Stayed Two Nights

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60216 03/30/07 11:02 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thursday March 22nd 2007

The next day I got up early 645 to watch the sunrise. But because of the mountains and tree to the east, it was almost 8:30am before I could get some sun shots. I was surprised not to see anyone else. When I got back, everyone was already eating the first course of our 7 course breakfast.
- fresh fruit cocktail w/strawberries & melon
- crab cake (incredible, and I'm a Connoisseur)
- cranberry smoothie
- an omlet pie cut in slices
- english bangers (sausages)
- homemade bread
I need some help here there was lots more and every course was a treat!

After breakfast we headed out to see 3 nearby lighthouses. We viewed Cliff on the Rocks from the road; climbed and explored Yaquina Head from many angles including the bobbles(small round lava rocks that fill the beach) below and the beach behind a motel; and visited the interior of Yaquina Bay.

Cleft on the Rock - private ATN

Yaquina Bay OR

Yaquina Head OR

Now back to Heceta for a gourmet 7 course dinner and a night visit and climb at the lighthouse.

Friday March 23rd 2007

We're leaving our Heceta Lighthouse experience this morning but not before another leisurely 7 course breakfast including.
- homemade bread
- fruit plate
- bagels and locks(salmon) with creamcheese, tomaotoes and onions
- individual egg, goat cheese & gogonzolla cheeze souffles
- cheese and melon
- black berry smoothie

We're packed up and off to Cape Mears where we visit the park with it's octopus tree, eagle views and lighthouse. They've opened the lighthouse & gift shop just for us to climb but their are quite a few other people enjoying the opportunity too.

Cape Mears OR Lantern Room

Cape Mears OR

We stop a dairy/cheese place where we get a ice cream waffle cone for $2. We're on our way to Astoria but try to see Tillamook in the fog - no luck.

This afternoon we were also suppose to fly over Tillamook but were done in by the weather! Maybe tomorrow?

We dine at the Silver Salmon in town and enjoy a great meal.

Saturday March 24th 2007
Today we were also suppose to fly over Tillamook but were done in by the weather again!
A reason to go back.

We head into town to the museum, and visit the Lightship.

Lightship Columbia

We hit the internet at the hotel to get our airline boarding passes for tomorrow. Yes, this whirlwind week is coming to an end.

Off to try and see Cape Disappointment in the fog. North Head has an Admiral visiting so it's off limits and we decide Grays Harbor will also be foggy so we head back to Portland for the night.

Cape Disappointment lives up to it's name in the Fog

Cape Disappointment Bird in the Fog

Final Supper at Salty's a neat little place behind the airport and on the Columbia River for our final supper. We're not disappointed by the food. We've had some very good meals this trip.

Sunday March 25th 2007
We're up at 6am to return the Nitro and head to the airport for an 815am flight. After a transfer in Chicago we're home on LI at 715pm and walk in our house an hour later.

What a Trip! Thank's to Our Pixie, and friends sharing this trip. Great time!

Bob

20 lighthouses and 1 lightship were viewed (most climbed) from Port Arena to Cape Disappointment!
Over 1000 digitals taken!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60217 03/30/07 01:59 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob,

Great pictures. Brings back some good memories of two trips we took in the past in that area.

I missed the fact that you could get a view of Trinidad Head. I was under the impression that it was on the sea side of the promotory.

We had to skip Mendociino and Table Bluff because of time constraints. the road in Northern CA is very picturesque but you can't get anywhere quickly. Did you "run" into any cattle blocking the road on your travels?

We stayed at a very nice motel in Gualala, Ca not far from Pt Arena. It was literally on the beach.

We got a treat at Pt Cabrillo when a Coast guard ATNT made a helicopter visit while we were there.

Looking forward to more photos.

Dennis

Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60218 03/30/07 02:26 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Lots of cattle Dennis! On the dirt roads near Punta Gorda I was afraid that the panicked 'not so sure footed' calves would fall backwards into the SUV as they scurried off the road. You didn't miss the shot at Trinidad, we had a pixie Coast Guard connection to get in and climb.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60219 03/30/07 07:41 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by rscroope:
Lots of cattle Dennis! On the dirt roads near Punta Gorda I was afraid that the panicked 'not so sure footed' calves would fall backwards into the SUV as they scurried off the road. You didn't miss the shot at Trinidad, we had a pixie Coast Guard connection to get in and climb.
Bob
Bob,

That will teach me to read more carefully. I thought you had to get onto the base to see the real light- I've been using the line that I saw 24 1/2 lighthouses on my CA trip- and then explained that the Trinidad Head Memorial had the original fresnel lens and the original fog bell and the memorial is an exact duplicate of the real deal so it's like having half of the real thing.

Dennis

Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60220 03/30/07 09:10 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Dennis,

I'm sure we would all forgive you no matter what you said.

bobo

Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60221 04/02/07 03:02 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice narrative and trip photos Bob. Did you get to North Head, WA while you were at Cape Disappointment?

Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60222 04/02/07 04:12 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob, thanks so much for all the time and work you put into this trip narrative. I've enjoyed the photos and the daily events immensely. You guys seemed to have had an eventful, memorable and fun trip.

Point Cabrillo at night must have been magnificant. I liked your description of "Outrageous".

Thank you for sharing with the rest of us.

Judy

Judy
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60223 04/02/07 05:15 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob, love your pictures and story however, I think you should describe your trip to Punta Gorda in more detail for our friends here. Give them more of a feel of what it was like getting to the lighthouse! eek

For those who have never stayed at Heceta Head Bed & Breakfast you just don't know what you are missing. cool Steve & Michelle who run the B & B are just very warm and easy going people who feel like friends by the time you leave. Terry & I are looking forward to our next trip there.

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60224 04/03/07 01:41 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob,

I'm really enjoying your narrative and photos. It bears repeating- you are bringing back some good memories for me.

Thanks,

Dennis

Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60225 04/03/07 10:19 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Lorie, we didn't get to North Head because there was an Admiral visiting (Home Land Security ***) and couldn't see in the fog.

Ruthie, it's hard to put into words the Punta Gorda experience. I revisited it last night, and will continue to massage it, to try and put it into words. "It definitely was the hardest most extreme physical challenge of my life."

Dennis, I want to dedicate this travelogue to Art Seaman who was one of the 1st to share a major lighthousing experience!

I will continue to add narrative and photos to the above, and polish up the spelling, grammar, and flow,

Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60226 04/03/07 11:02 AM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great pictures and stories to go with them. Wish I was there. I have not been to those areas and hope to one day.

Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60227 04/04/07 04:11 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Okay new favorites.

Wow...the Heceta Head Sunset and the "Lights up the Cliff" really took my breath away!

Bob thanks so much for sharing your trip with us.

Melody
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60228 04/04/07 05:54 PM
kikigl Offline
Beautiful pictures, Bob!
It's such a beautiful area. I was there several years ago and still love looking at my photos.
Didn't get to stay at Heceta Head although I would really like to some day.

Kay
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60229 04/05/07 11:04 AM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for the awesome job that you did to share your trip with us!
Photos are stunning-especially sunset, lights up cliff and loved the view from the bedroom. Narrative was very helpful for those of us who have never been, but would like to!

Debbie
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60230 04/05/07 12:08 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Pretty close to finished now. I may polish the words a little, and add some more photos as I review the 1000 digitals.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60231 04/06/07 05:19 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob,

AWESOME trip! How many days were you out there?
I especially love the pic of Heceta Head Bedroom View!

Thanks for sharing these!!!

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60232 04/06/07 09:35 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Awesome pictures, Bob. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Cyndi
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60233 04/12/07 12:49 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Bonus Photos

Cape Cabrillo 2nd Lightkeepers House Restored as a B&B

Cape Cabrillo 1st Lightkeepers House UnRestored

Cape Cabrillo Keepers House Patio Window where the Keeper would work and keep an 'Eye' on Business

Heceta Head Cliff View for Ruthie

Heceta Head Lighthouse and Keepers House for Ruthie

Heceta Head Sunset 2

Heceta Head Fresnel Lens

Heceta Head Last Supper
l to r Derith, Ken, Sharon Puls, MaryAnn, Terry, Me, Ruthie, Sharon, Linda, Bryan, and Eric
-photo taken by our host Steve
Can you believe we're all in one place and sitting still????

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60234 04/12/07 03:29 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Epilogue
It's hard to sum up the magnitude of this adventure. Our organizer, and guide Derith likes my OUTRAGEOUS reaction to many parts of the trip. I love the reaction of my loml MaryAnn as she tells the story of our trip, and encourages me to get out the computer to show the photos. I enjoyed her new enthusiam as she climbed many of the lights, and marveled at the awesomeness of the 1st Order Fresnels. Thanks to Derith for sharing all her contacts, leads, expertise, love and friendship. The joy I saw in Pixie's eyes as she shared this experience was like how I feel with young kids at WDW. (Iguess we were those kids.) I couldn't have put together a nicer group of people to share this experience with. Each day was a new unique adventure. It wasn't just stop and shoot, and carve a notch. We got 'upclose and personal' with most of these 'hard to get to' lighthouses.
I can't wait for our next adventure.
If you ever to be lucky enough to be invited on one of these 'once in a lifetime adventures'? Don't think twice! Seize the Moment!

vhappy OUTRAGEOUS vhappy groupwave

ps I'm sure as I revisit this topic I'll be adding more info as it comes to me. This is only the tip of the iceberg. Punta Gorda could be an extensive topic on it's own!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60235 04/12/07 06:51 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Punta Gorda could be an extensive topic on it's own!

Bob, after hearing all the stories about the trip to Punta Gorda...I think you could write a book about your "adventures" and title it...
WE SURVIVED THE TRIP TO PUNTA GORDA!!!! eek

We were only with the group from Point Cabrillo and back up the Oregon coast and it was great weather and lots of fun. Our "Pixie Friend" certainly knows how to plan a great trip. Can't wait for our "next adventure."
towel

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60236 04/16/07 10:44 PM
Gebby Offline
We always have to remind ourselves that the lighthouse is the destination of our adventures. I have been on so many great lighthouse trips and the ones I remember the most are the ones that I had a great adventure getting there. Via plane, kayak, dune buggy, boat, a major hike in the rain or whatever.

I will have to say, that this "adventure" to the Punta Gorda lighthouse was more than your typical adventure, because it got to a point that once we got to the lighthouse that the real destination would be the car. We all new that getting back was all major uphill and in the rain.

Punta Gorda will always bring back one of those memories that I will shake my head about just being glad that everybody made it back without injury. Everyone of us was completely soaked. My feet were sloshing in my shoes.

Enough said. I'm dying to hear Bob's story.

Anyway....Let's keep in mind that the lighthouse is the destination for a great adventure, especially if you're with some great friends!!

Ken

Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60237 04/17/07 03:54 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Punta Gorda Adventure as best as I could remember it, is now above. There were no additional photos accept at the lighthouse that I took. The weather and physical nature of the climb did not make it conducive to documenting the experience in pictures.
violin

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Oregon Spring Break 3/16-25, 2007 #60238 06/28/07 02:33 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Bringing it to the top for Ned.

If your interested in some later night shots, Ned, check out my Heceta views in March.

Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users