Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Just a Couple Of Return Visits in NY & NJ #60091 10/29/06 02:58 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Esther and I took a short trip up to Poughkeepsie, NY this past Friday (10-27) to visit with some of her relatives. We had a nice visit- unfortunately the weather wasn't very good for lighthousing on the way back on Saturday (10-28)

We had to be at Sandy Hook by 5 PM for a get together of volunteers from the last ten years of having the lighthouse open for tours.

I had hoped to get to a number of Hudson River lighthouses- even possibly going north to Kingston, Esopus Meadows and Saugerties. I definitely wanted to stop at Stoney Point and Tarrytown and possibly try and get a shot of Jeffrey's Hook from the NJ side.

Saturday morning was just dreadful- heavy rain and high winds. the radio and tv stations were all talking about creeks overflowing their banks, roads flooded, etc so I opted to not even try to go north since the road for all three of theose Lighthouses run right along the river and or crek and Saugerties can be very problematic to walk out to in high water.

We (meaning Esther) decided that an alternate was to go shopping at the woodbury Outlets or a craft show in somerset, NJ so we drove down to the Outlets and shopped. so much fun- I did manage to buy some sneakers at a good price , though.

The skies were clearing up as we left there so we decided to try going over to Stony Point. I had checked the website out and the Park & lighthouse were scheduled to be open.

We got there and there was exactly one car in the parking lot. We saw one of the volunteers (in Revolutionary soldier uniform) and asked about the lighthouse. He informed us that unfortunately it wasn't open that day. the volunteer had opted to not come in due to the weather.

He was nice enough to give us a ride up to the lighthouse on his cart so we decided to go on up.

Here are a few shots of the lighthouse that I took while there.

We walked around the Stony Point Battlefield Park for a bit and then took our leave.

We drove down 9W from Stony Point. I got a glimpse of Tarrytown but there was no place to safely pull off the road to get any photos. I also opted to skip trying to find access to a shot of Jeffrey's Hook as we were now running a bit behind of schedule. I knew I'd have to do a bit of trial and error to find a spot for a photo.

We got to Sandy hook about 5:15 and the party had started without us.

I took some photos of Sandy Hook when we arrived. Here are two of them-

We had a great time reliving the good- and bad- times volunteering at the lighthouse. got to see some people we hadn't seen for quite some time.

I took this last phot in about the same spot as the second photo of Sandy hook above. I know it's ahrd to tell but the lighthouse and keeper's house are in the photo- it sorta fits the time of year , though.

Dennis

Re: Just a Couple Of Return Visits in NY & NJ #60092 10/29/06 05:53 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I like the day time, night time comparison.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Just a Couple Of Return Visits in NY & NJ #60093 10/30/06 05:05 PM
DMancini Offline
Dennis ~ (for future reference) you can get a decent shot of the Tarrytown Light (with the Tappan Zee in the background) from Kingsland Point Park in Sleepy Hollow.

You were lucky to get a ride up to Stony Point. That is one steep hill!

Diane
Re: Just a Couple Of Return Visits in NY & NJ #60094 10/30/06 05:43 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice photos! I agree that the night shot fits the time of year...thanks for sharing.

Debbie
Re: Just a Couple Of Return Visits in NY & NJ #60095 10/30/06 06:08 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by DMancini:
Dennis ~ (for future reference) you can get a decent shot of the Tarrytown Light (with the Tappan Zee in the background) from Kingsland Point Park in Sleepy Hollow.

You were lucky to get a ride up to Stony Point. That is one steep hill!
Diane,

Been there done that several times. The NJLHS had thier Summer Meeeting there last year.

Here's a photo taken in Feb a few years back-

I was originally planning on going to Kingsland Park but time caught up with us. I then alternatively wanted to get a shot from the west bank of the Hudson but there just wasn't anyplace to safely stop easily.

I agree that the hill at Stony Point is steep- I was going to skip the light until the gentleman offered the ride up there. Walking down can be a bit easier at times.

We'd been there before but unfortunately the LH wasn't open that day either.

Dennis

Re: Just a Couple Of Return Visits in NY & NJ #60096 10/31/06 12:04 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice pics Dennis. You're lucky you didn't get caught in all the power outages in the Northeast. I talked with my mother-in-law in Catskill, NY on Sunday...she said there were a lot of trees down and people without power but she was doing fine in her area.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,789 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users