Saint
OP Offline
Saint
SIX MONTHS IN THE MAKING!
The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights

Foreword by Bill Younger
Edited by John Chidester
Photography by Paul L. Brady

"Look, up in the future, it's not a price guide, it's not "Green" and it's not the wimpy Collectors Publishing book from 1998...
...it's an all new comprehensive guide to the lights we love so well!"

Look for an announcement and an online flyer before mid-August, maybe as early as next week.

A few early reviews...

"..not only the best guide ever to Harbour Lights, it's the best guide to any collectible line.."

"..so comprehensive it should have it's own 'HL' number!"

"..are you guys done with this book yet? We've got to get it to the printer NOW!! We're going to miss the Christmas season if you squeeze ONE more thing in there!"

Oh, what the heck... Here's as much as I can tell you now.

• Everything Harbour Lights 1991-2006 (Nothing Sky-Bound, ornament hanger-like, Q-base like, etc.)
  • Limiteds, GLOWs, Little Lights, Anchor Bay, lifesaving stations, Fresnel lenses, Accessories
  • 700+ products grouped by type, then alphabetical
  • One page per lighthouse; all the various versions on one page (2 pages in a few cases)
  • All new beautiful product photography by Paul

Each page features...
  • Large 'key' photo of the Limited (if there was one)
  • Smaller photos of each offering - LE, OE, LL etc
  • Table on each page with product number, type, dates, size, quantities and original SRP
  • History of the lighthouse

Plus:
  • New history of Harbour Lights
  • 32 page section on variations, errors information with all new photos
  • Collector Checklists for all products and variations
  • Extensive index

Specs:
  • Published by Harbour Lights
  • Four color printing throughout, 70# bright white glossy stock
  • 480 pages with wire-O lie-flat binding
  • Beautiful work of art and labor of love by two Harbour Lights WACKOs with contributions by several other WACKOs.

How you can get one:
  • Wait patiently till mid-August to order
  • Sold exclusively through Harbour Lights dealers
  • Yep, it's got an HL product #, Bob! It's even got an ISBN and UPC.
  • SRP $39.95
  • Wait patiently till October to receive
  • When it arrives, show it to all your collector friends, lighthouse buddies, or any adults who MIGHT be susceptible to collecting lighthouses etc.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59401 07/27/06 09:49 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Looks great!
Judy

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59402 07/27/06 09:50 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks, Judy - boy you responded fast, just like we talked about. laugh (Just kidding)

But wait... (as they say in those TV ads)

In an exclusive exposé for the Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights, Saint Timothy has delved back into the tragic and mysterious 1999 death of Bob Younger to report the 'REAL STORY'... You'll have to read it to believe it! (Really!)

P.S. All you people who were previously sworn to secrecy can tell what you know now. Just remember, the things you didn't like are probably a lot better now. :rolleyes: And we certainly left in all the things you did like. wink

Oh, wait. Grace, you are still sworn to secrecy. eek

Thanks.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59403 07/28/06 12:33 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
John,

I'm really looking forward to the publication of your masterpiece.

bobo

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59404 07/28/06 07:04 AM
F
fscjr Offline
F
John, this project has fulfilled a real need among both the collectors and lighthouse-lovers. I'm anxious to see and purchase your product...The mock-up I've seen has been beautiful! Frank Carbone

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59405 07/28/06 10:08 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
What I've seen looks very good! A must for every Harbour Lights Collector or wantabe collector. Done by people who know with a little help from their friends. Can't wait! cool
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59406 07/28/06 02:23 PM
kikigl Offline
We previewed it at the regional in Portsmouth and it's the best "must have" book I've ever seen! It contains everything you could ever want to know about Harbour Lights! I can't wait to get mine!

Kay
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59407 07/28/06 07:32 PM
Medicman Offline
I just started my Christmas wish list and the book is at the top of the list. Can't wait!

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59408 07/28/06 08:30 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Who knows...this just might start a renewed interest in Harbour Lights for new collectors as well as those whose interest have waned these past few years.

Judy

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59409 07/29/06 07:45 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Oh, finally! I can talk! The pain from keeping this in has been horrible...I think I need Oprah to help me get over the pain.

From the sample pages I saw a few months ago, it's an INCREDIBLE undertaking. I know a bit of what went into this, and the man-hours that it needed were definitely tremendous. But the result will be a great resource for all HL collectors.

Even though I don't really collect the LEs, I'll have a copy on my Christmas list for the accessories part and the other material. I'm more into the "history" part of HL, and this is definitely going to be great for that.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59410 07/30/06 01:35 AM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We've been waiting for this for years.
Judy

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59411 07/30/06 06:28 PM
SDudley Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I can't wait for this. We have needed something like this for a long time. there have been alot of years and lighthouses made since the last book on the subject came out.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59412 07/30/06 11:40 PM
Hal Dean Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Can't wait to see this book. This is something we have needed for a long time. I think the last book was a greenbook back in 1999.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59413 07/31/06 03:02 AM
beachcomber Offline
It is absolutely fabulous! Many kudoes to John and Paul.
I think we have all been waiting for this for many years, many years - long overdue!

beachcomber
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59414 07/31/06 01:36 PM
kikigl Offline
John or Paul,

Are you maybe going to have any for sale at the Regional in St Augustine?

Kay
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59415 07/31/06 02:23 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
It will not be delivered to Maine until October. Sorry. Going to the printer this week.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59416 07/31/06 03:48 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
It would be nice if it was in time for Portland?

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59417 07/31/06 04:20 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
That's the plan!!

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59418 07/31/06 05:44 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by WackoPaul:
That's the plan!!
Does this mean we will be able to buy it at the regional, or do we still have to order it through a Harbour Lights Dealer?
HCS

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59419 07/31/06 05:50 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I will ask Tony, but if they set up the Portland Regional like the recent Tidewater Regional, there will be at least one dealer on location selling HL products and the book is a HL product..

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59420 07/31/06 06:05 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks Paul.
HCS

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59421 07/31/06 08:17 PM
lmyhre Offline
Wacko
Wacko
What is the physical size of the book?

Larry

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59422 07/31/06 09:42 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
8.5" high X 7" wide (not including binding wire) x about 1.5" thick. And about 2.5 lbs.

Maybe Bob Ott can get some glass cases made.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59423 08/01/06 01:20 AM
J
Jim Awrey Offline
J
Quote:
That's the plan!!

AND

Does this mean we will be able to buy it at the regional, or do we still have to order it through a Harbour Lights Dealer?
-------------------

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59424 08/01/06 01:40 AM
J
Jim Awrey Offline
J
Woops! Hit the "ADD" button instead of the "PREVIEW" button.

Quote:
That's the plan!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As one of many small HL dealers in the country, I think we all know who will be the "HL dealer" sitting at the regional table. The benificiaries of this book, other than the collectors, should be ALL of the Harbour Lights dealers. It will hopefully renew interest in collecting lighthouses EVERYWHERE in the country, not just for the folks in southern Maine.

Here's hoping that there are plenty of books available to dealers around the country BEFORE the day of the regional event, and not on "backorder" because they're all sitting on a certain table at the regional event.

Ordering this book from a Harbour Lights dealer should not feel like something you "have to do." This is a chance to support a dealer who is most local to YOU, especially if you aren't going to the regional event. We truly hope that "THE PLAN" wasn't setting up the book release to coincide with helping the "HL dealer" setting up at the regional. "THE PLAN" of this great book should be to help strengthen the entire dealer network.

Jim

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59425 08/01/06 01:50 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Don't jump to conclusions based on what I posted, Jim...

I have no firm knowledge yet that there will be a dealer there, but I do know that the dealer at the Tidewater Event was from Norfolk and not Maine..

It was very handy for the collectors at the Regional having a dealer on location.. It was especially nice since that dealer had created their own piece that a lot of the collectors there were interested in getting..

Also as far as I know all dealers are going to get the opportunity to order the book at the same time..

I personally hope that there will be some books made available to the collectors at the Regional because I want collectors that don't have a dealer near them to have the opportunity to purchase one in hand..

But I just did all of the images and have no control over the sales or release of the book, I am just the photographer!

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59426 08/01/06 02:01 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Awrey:

Ordering this book from a Harbour Lights dealer should not feel like something you [b]"have to do."
This is a chance to support a dealer who is most local to YOU, especially if you aren't going to the regional event. We truly hope that "THE PLAN" wasn't setting up the book release to coincide with helping the "HL dealer" setting up at the regional. "THE PLAN" of this great book should be to help strengthen the entire dealer network.

Jim [/b]
The timing of this book was always to have it ready for the Christmas Shopping Season.

I 'pitched' the book to Don in late January; got a favorable response and Paul and I went to work on it starting in Febuary and are just now putting the finishing touches on it.

The schedule I worked out with the publisher was to have a channce to 'show it' in mockup form to collectors at the summer regional and have it available for sale by the time of the Regional Event in Maine.

Not because that's where you-know-who is located, but because a hundred or so potential buyers will be there. It's not these 100 that will make-or-break the book. But it will provide Paul and I and Don Devine a good and quick-reading barometer on how it will be received when the rest of the collectors see it or hear about it.

I'll "AMEN" that I sure hope lots of dealers order this book from Lighthouse Marketing/Harbour Lights. I know Tony is on the road to various shows this summer dragging a mock-up of the book with him and showing it off.

As the book has been coming together, re-invigoration of the collector base has certainly been something I've seen coming out of this. That is to say, I'm looking at the book saying "Boy! If this doesn't pull some collectors who've slipped off the bandwagon back on board, I don't know what will do it."

And I can see some 'browsers' in a collectible store picking up thie 2.5 lb. work saying to themselves "This must be quite a collectible! I'll read up on it."

I hope dealers will order it; I hope they'll talk it up with their Harbour Lights collectors starting now.

I know over the years since the last books appeared, there have been rumors of 'new' books about Harbour Lights coming out -- and then they didn't. This one is coming for sure!

You'll excuse me if I brag a bit -- but I don't think anybody is going to be disappointed with it. laugh

Harbour Lights is investing a big chunk of change to get the book printed and delivered in time for the Fall season. Hope the dealers will show their support and that the collectors will too.

Thanks Jim.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59427 08/01/06 01:26 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
One quick question - will this book have secondary market values in it? Not sure if it can, because it's an "Official HL Publication" and all. And because prices fluctuate frequently. But just curious.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59428 08/01/06 02:18 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:

Table on each page with product number, type, dates, size, quantities and original SRP
As John stated in his original post this isn't a secondary price guide of Harbour Lights..

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59429 08/01/06 02:55 PM
Bob Taylor Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I too have seen the "mock up" in Virginia and can't wait for it to come out this fall. I was sitting at the lucky dinner table on Friday evening when John pulled it out of his bag and sent it around the table. I did not want to pass it back! Paul and John have done a great job with this bringing all their understanding of Harbour Lights and the family together. It is a much needed and will be appreciated work of art for all us collectors.

Bob Taylor

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59430 08/01/06 03:55 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Awrey:
Woops! Hit the "ADD" button instead of the "PREVIEW" button.

Quote:
That's the plan!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As one of many small HL dealers in the country, I think we all know who will be the "HL dealer" sitting at the regional table. The benificiaries of this book, other than the collectors, should be ALL of the Harbour Lights dealers. It will hopefully renew interest in collecting lighthouses EVERYWHERE in the country, not just for the folks in southern Maine.

Here's hoping that there are plenty of books available to dealers around the country BEFORE the day of the regional event, and not on "backorder" because they're all sitting on a certain table at the regional event.

Ordering this book from a Harbour Lights dealer should not feel like something you [b]"have to do."
This is a chance to support a dealer who is most local to YOU, especially if you aren't going to the regional event. We truly hope that "THE PLAN" wasn't setting up the book release to coincide with helping the "HL dealer" setting up at the regional. "THE PLAN" of this great book should be to help strengthen the entire dealer network.

Jim [/b]
Jim - I would be happy to buy from my Harbour Lights Dealer if I had one. Alas there isn't one in my area of NY. So I have to buy whenever I get the oppotunity to be in an area where there is one. Hence the question!
HCS

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59431 08/01/06 04:15 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would like to suggest that as soon as the book is available for dealers to let us know. My dealer will order H.L. but doesn't get anymore automatic shipments. Sometimes I know more about what H.L. has then they do at the store!
Judy

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59432 08/01/06 04:20 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
They will be receiving a promotional flyer soon about the book..

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59433 08/02/06 12:41 AM
J
Jim Awrey Offline
J
As suggested by John C. in an earlier post, we will wait until mid-August to order the book from Harbour Lights. We hope all remaining Harbour Lights dealers will order at least a couple copies, for their local collectors.

We agree with the idea that this is a book about the "history" of Harbour Lights and does not include secondary market values of the pieces. Many collectors that we've talked to (and from many of the posts we've read here), have expressed the opinion that too many Harbour Lights collectors got into the hobby because they thought they were going to get rich off a collectible that would keep going up in value.

When things began to fade, collectors dropped out, pieces were being dumped on e-bay, and we are left with a group of collectors who, for the most part, seem to also be lighthouse lovers. The purpose of this book should be to reward those lighthouse lovers, reel back in a few of the "lost" lighthouse lovers, and hopefully, attract lots of new ones.

We look forward to receiving the press release from Harbour Lights. Hopefully, it will have a picture of the book cover, that we can scan to our web site, and start promoting it.

Jim

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59434 08/02/06 03:15 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Too small to use and read.

Hope to have this 2 page PDF for you all to look at in a couple of days:

For now you can consider it a 'teaser.'

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59435 08/02/06 12:30 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by JChidester:
Too small to use and read.

For now you can consider it a 'teaser.'
I guess! 2 1/2 months to wait! :rolleyes:
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59436 08/02/06 07:53 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I am glad the dealers will receive a promotional flyer about the book. I'll give mine a "heads up" and have her start a list for orders which will be ready when the flyer arrives.
Judy

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59437 08/02/06 09:35 PM
kikigl Offline
Judy,

I had an experience similar to yours when I visited my dealer at the Bronze Lady in Madeira Beach, Fl. (His brother-in-law owns the Bronze Lady in Orlando)
I was looking for Point Sur and he didn't know it was one that had just come out. We got talking and he said, "You seem to know an awfully lot about Harbour Lights." And then he said the Rep had asked him if he wanted to have Harry Hine for a signing. He knows who Bill is but not Harry! He asked my opinion and I said,
"OH YES!!! I told him about Harry showing us how
molds were made at the Reunion on Mackinack Island. So I think he is going to have Harry!

Kay
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59438 08/03/06 01:57 AM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
You are so lucky. Our club president wrote Harry a letter inviting him to Colorado. That would be fabulous but unless he is into skiing he probably won't come out to a place with no lighthouses! His session at the Reunion was the best.

If by any chance Harry comes to Orlando or Maderia Beach in mid December let me know. We are coming to Florida to stay with relatives for the holidays and we would drive to see Harry just about anywhere. I'm from St. Pete. so we will be there as well as in Tampa area.

Judy

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59439 08/03/06 02:32 PM
kikigl Offline
Judy,

I'm going to show your reply to my dealer so he will know that people are interested in seeing Harry.
Anybody else interested?

Kay
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59440 08/03/06 02:33 PM
kikigl Offline
I'll tell my dealer about your book too, John and Paul!

Kay
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59441 08/03/06 03:07 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Last night after shooting and configuring the last variation image for the book and uploading it to John, I made sure to update my backup copy on my external hard drive of the folder I called HL Guide...

That folder contains all of the new images and the different configurations of those images I have done for the new book... I was talking to John about the last upload and mentioned to him that the folder I had just backed up contains 4,637 items and the total size of those items is 10.6 gigabits..

I will next finish burning a copy of everything to CD's... I have about 2/3's of it on CD so far.. Once that is done I can free up some space on my laptop's hard drive, I am down to a couple of gig's left right now and Chloe's coming over Saturday..

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59442 08/03/06 03:53 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Backup...that's the ticket! Hopefully JC and all the great WACKO photographers are also doing that???? Most people only learn about Backup after it's to late.
10 gig is quite a chunk, Paul! Thanks for all your hard work!

Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59443 08/04/06 12:36 AM
akmn Offline
Wacko
Wacko
The guide looks great. What a perfect encyclopedia for our collections. Can't wait to get ours

Adam and Mindy

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59444 08/04/06 12:54 AM
J
Jim Awrey Offline
J
Our sales rep just received their flyer from Harbour Lights about the new Collector's Guide, and will be showing it to us tomorrow morning.

Also, she has pictures of 2 new home decor items that Harbour Lights will be offering (October arrival expected), and one of them sounds pretty exciting. Don't think Harbour Lights has officially announced them yet, so I can't really say anything until I have the OK from my sales rep.

Jim

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59445 08/04/06 05:53 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Jim, do tell, do tell. It is by the way the "Rumor Mill". laugh

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59446 08/04/06 10:12 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Yes, but Jim's rumors are based on fact... No, not based on fact but are fact... And he has been sworn to double top secret status....

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59447 08/04/06 10:32 AM
J
Jim Awrey Offline
J
Sounds like Paul knows what's coming too! He's probably already photographed them!

Jim

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59448 08/04/06 11:53 AM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sounds exciting! Home decor...interesting!Can't wait!

Debbie
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59449 08/06/06 09:20 PM
ginnyanne Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I am so excited to hear about the new book. I keep trying to get a grip on my HL collection. This will make all the difference! I am a lighthouse lover who started collecting HL's as momentos of lighthouses I have seen. I prefer the limited editions. As a member of the Chesapeake Chapter of the USLHS and the Annapolis Maritime Museum, I get to take some great trips to see lighthouses.
I will definitely get my book from my local dealer. We must keep them in business!

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59450 08/06/06 10:34 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
You are so right, ginnyanne. We'll all have our noses in the book for quite a while!!
Judy

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59451 08/07/06 05:52 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Got the OK from the home office to put the 2 page information document up on the website.

You can Click Here then click on the picture or the link beneath it.

Enjoy

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59452 08/07/06 07:36 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Awesome!!!!!!!!

Debbie
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59453 08/08/06 12:35 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Welcome Ginnyanne!

You've said ALL THE RIGHT THINGS!

Support your local dealer! Amen.

Thanks and welcome to the Collector Forums!

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59454 08/08/06 12:36 AM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Ditto!!!
Judy

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59455 08/09/06 10:46 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Looking forward to this, John! Next, I need to get you, Paul and Bill to autograph it! cool

Jim
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59456 08/10/06 07:55 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I've noticed this thread has gone beyond the usual 50 posts, but it seems to be loading okay so I will leave it alone.

I should add that I'm quite excited about the new OCGTHL. The faithful collectors of HL's have waited a long time for such a publication. Kudos to those who are responsible for all the research, preparation, and publication of such a needed resource.

smile Bob smile

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59457 08/14/06 09:59 PM
beachcomber Offline
Check out the latest LH Depot catalog; the book's in there.

I had the good fortune to work with John the last seven weeks. Believe me, the man was up day and night getting all that good info together. He'd be up at 4:30 AZ time and, a few hours later(TX time), I would join him. We worked together throughout the day; then, he'd be up half the night before he got a few hours' rest. The man is incredible! Anyway, we did a lot of reading, rereading, writing, rewriting, and adding and adding and adding. "Grace, guess what I just found in the garage." "Please, John, save it for the second edition!"

So not everything was proofed as well as I would have liked - so, don't be looking for the errors; believe me, you will find them!! Focus on the content!

As you may have noticed, I dropped out of the forums during those weeks - I just didn't have the time. But John did keep up with the forums and all of his other responsibilities. I've come to the conclusion that he is a major workaholic!

Really, though, we owe a huge debt of gratitude to John, Paul (the pictures are just gorgeous!), and all the wonderful people on the forums - and other collectors - who made so many contributions to this book. I learned so much working on it - I had to keep telling myself to focus on the task at hand because I would get so absorbed in the material. It is so packed with wonderful information and beautiful pictures!

The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights should be the number one item on your Christmas list. I cannot rave enough about it!

beachcomber
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59458 08/15/06 09:59 AM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have preordered mine. I am excited and can't wait to get it. There are only three dealers within 60 miles of me and they are very limited on what they carry. I have purchased from them but most of what I get I order from Wells, Maine. That is where my first Lighthouse was purchased and given to me as a gift in 2003. Others I have bought when I visit the lights.

Cyndi
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59459 08/15/06 03:47 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
I am excited and can't wait to get it.
Cyndi, ...Your enthusiasm is shared by many who have waited a long time for just this type of publication.

smile Bob smile

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59460 08/16/06 10:16 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm not waiting for Christmas to see if somebody give it to me as a gift. I'll be buying it as soon as my local dealer has it to sell. laugh

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59461 08/16/06 07:17 PM
kikigl Offline
I just got a Lighthouse Depot catalog and saw the ad. I can''t wait until Christmas! I am going to my dealer's (the Bronze Lady in Madiera Beach) and order mine now!

Kay
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59462 08/16/06 09:24 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Ordered mine from my dealer today.

Rich
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59463 08/17/06 06:02 PM
beachcomber Offline
I think everyone is doing just the right thing. If we all order our books (and get others to order), sales will go up. We want it to be successful. This book was a long time coming so we want to show HL that it is very important to us AND that we will want annual updates to keep us current.

beachcomber
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59464 08/17/06 06:21 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Isn't it going to be available for sale at the Maine Regional?

Judy
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59465 08/17/06 06:26 PM
beachcomber Offline
If all goes well, it probably will be. Many CF members won't be able to make it to Maine, though.

beachcomber
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59466 08/17/06 07:07 PM
kikigl Offline
Congratulations to you too, Grace. I think it's really neat that you helped with the book.

Kay
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59467 08/17/06 08:13 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Grace, congrats to you too.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59468 08/17/06 08:35 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I already ordered two copies of the book from my dealer. I did this for two very good reasons:

1. I wanted to support my dealer.

2. I don't need the extra weight since I'll be flying -- hopefully inside an airplane.

Are there any drawbacks? YES -- no signatures from the people who created this masterpiece.

bobo

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59469 08/17/06 08:49 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm ordering mine tomorrow. Hopefully my dealer will know what it is!!
Judy

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59470 08/17/06 11:14 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bobo, I believe it will be in spiral form, so you can take a page out to bring with you to get signatures. smile

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59471 08/18/06 03:00 AM
beachcomber Offline
Excellent idea, Eric! And thanks for the congrats, guys. For me, it was an honor to be asked, and I feel very privileged to have had the opportunity to help. smile

beachcomber
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59472 08/18/06 10:45 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I don't think it's that easy to take pages out of a spiral binder. Of course I've never tried. I hope it's possible to add pages.
---------------------------
Lighthouse Loon

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59473 08/18/06 10:55 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
It is not going to be easy to remove or add pages to the book.. It was a question of stability..

But, Bob, if you really want to, you could bring labels to be signed and then place them in the book... Or one big 3 to 4 inch square label for all to sign then attach it to the inside cover when you get home..

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights #59474 08/18/06 11:30 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
If we order from our dealer, what are the chances of having it in hand if we are attending the regional? Or would our first opportunity to have it in hand be at the regional?

I think I do my share of supporting my dealer with plenty of other purchases. Since I'm driving to the regional, at top of my list of priorities would be to purchase the book then and have it signed.

What I think I'm hearing from previous posts is that it won't be ready for release until October.

Judy

Judy
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bob M 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,363 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users