Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New releases for first half of 2006? #58679 10/23/05 06:26 PM
MtnHkr Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Well it is only 8 days to November 1 and it shouldn't be too long after that we start learning about the early 2006 releases from HL. Still hoping for Owl's Head Maine.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58680 10/23/05 07:31 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm hoping for an Alaskan lighthouse. I also wouldn't mind seeing something from the Gulf.

Rich
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58681 10/23/05 07:53 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Will Owl's Head FINALLY come out? We've been begging for it so long! My big fear is actually that, after all this waiting for an Owl's Head LE, we're going to end up with a very dissapointing piece. I'm hoping that it's not like that "never meet your heroes" kind of thing.

Otherwise...

Anything from the Gulf would have had to have been planned pre-Katrina. I'm not sure that they could have even rushed production along in the short time between the storm and deadlines. Any unplanned Gulf piece would probably be a better bet for Summer 06.

There's all sorts of little, oddball lights I'd love to see, the quirky little ones that quirky me is drawn to. But otherwise, there's nothing in particular I really want to see. Of course, I probably wouldn't be able to buy it, anyway, but it always makes me feel good when I see a favourite light produced. smile

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58682 10/23/05 10:24 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
It seems that the Younger Family has managed to operate quite steathfully the last couple of years. There have been very few slips. Without any slips or clues, we can only guess what might be coming to our curios in 2006.

I do have one I think may become a reality and that is Pomham Rocks Light in East Providence, RI. The timing would be good with a massive restoration project going on.

Perhaps the time is coming for a Martha's Vineyard "East Chop - West Chop" combination. Cape Pogue is another Vineyard light that hasn't been made but its secluded existence has prevented it from getting much publicity.

Hopefully, 2006 will be a good year fro HL collectors. Time will tell.

smile Bob smile

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58683 10/24/05 12:14 AM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Bob,

At least somebody's on my wave length!! wink

I brought the restoration and Pomham up the other night on the chat and the gist came back that if HL's wasn't already on the job, it may be too late; if ALF doesn't invite them, they won't probably have an event for the relighting, and Pomham looks too much like Rose Island, Esopus and Colchester for this to be a popular release. :rolleyes:

As far as the Chops, I suggested them for the 2006-07 membership pieces and wondered if there was an inkling of any suggestions that interested them over others when Harry was told of our ideas.

Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58684 10/24/05 10:31 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
...and Pomham looks too much like Rose Island, Esopus and Colchester for this to be a popular release.
Unless you are interested in lighthouses, the general public might figure all lighthouses look-a-like. The GP would describe a lighthouse as one of those mostly white towers with a black roof and a light flashing on top. They have no idea about individual designs, colors, rotating or flashing beams, timing, day marks, etc.

Then comes the true lighthouse lovers. They know that lighthouse designs can be similar but there are also many unique designs in existence. We, as collectors, find all styles of lights interesting and continue to purchase replicas for our collections even if they look like other lights.

Although Pomham Rock looks similar to a few other lights, I really don't think it would effect its popularity. As the restoration continues, a replica of the light may generate more interest in the restoration. I'm sure the people involved in the restoration would certainly appreciate having it available wghen they go looking for support.

The future of Pomham Rock is looking good! Bring on HL??? Pomham Rock!

smile Bob smile

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58685 10/24/05 06:06 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by MtnHkr:
Well it is only 8 days to November 1 and it shouldn't be too long after that we start learning about the early 2006 releases from HL. Still hoping for Owl's Head Maine.

Bert smile
The January introductions have traditionally shown up in the December Legacy. So I expect that will again be the case.

Remember HL has said that the online Lighthouse Legacy will return to being a benefit for Collectors Society membership.

Are you a dues-paid 2005-2006 Collectors Society member?

Join here https://www.HarbourLights.com/society/join.htm

Does Harbour Lights have your current email address? Send an email to:
HarbourLights@HarbourLights.com from your email address and include your full name in the body of the email. If you've changed addresses you should, of course, include your new mailing address.

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58686 10/24/05 07:32 PM
beachcomber Offline
I guess I should contact HL. I had received my online issues but recently went onto the website and discovered there was a September issue which I missed. Although I do like Owl's Head, I am wondering why there is so much interest for that particular LE. Could you all enlighten me please?

beachcomber
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58687 10/24/05 08:04 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Grace, I don't think there was any general notice sent out about the September issue.

Educated guess on Owl's Head - it is a very popular light, very easy to get to. It is one of the better known and viewed lights in Maine still not produced by HL.

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58688 10/25/05 12:00 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I took a moment and thought about what could be a future HL from my general area, right in Rhode Island:

Pomham Rock, East Providence, RI
Watch Hill Light, Watch Hill RI
Dutch Island Light, Jamestown, RI
Plumb Beach Light, North Kingstown, RI
Warwick Light, Warwick, RI
Hog Island Shoals, Bristol RI
Prudence Island Light, Sandy Point, Prudence Island
Conimicut Light, Warwick, RI
Sakonnet Light, Sakonnet, Little Compton, RI

The above are all RI existing popular lights that haven't been honored with limited edition status.

smile Bob smile

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58689 10/25/05 01:01 PM
MtnHkr Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Great list of Lights Bob. I would like to add one Rhode Island LIght to your list. Not so popular but interesting design.

Here are a few pictures of CONANICUT LIGHT at the North end of Jamestown Island.

Conanicut Island Light at the North end of Jamestown Island. Would look great with its lantern room back on.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58690 10/25/05 02:33 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I purposely left Conanicut Light, Tyler Point, and Poplar Point off the list because they are private residences. I must admit Conanicut would certainly look great as a HL with a lantern room and that red paint with white trim.

Great pics of Conanicut, Bert!

smile Bob smile

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58691 10/25/05 10:40 PM
beachcomber Offline
Gorgeous pictures of a lovely light, Bert. I sure hope I get to Rhode Island someday.

beachcomber
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58692 10/26/05 07:30 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Oh Knowledgeable Ones!

Does Harbour Lights have a policy [or, to rely on corporate terminology, "policies and practices"] not to do representations of decommissioned lighthouses that are now private residences, properties, etc.? I seem to recall that there was, at one time, some "hitch" to their making a Cape Arago, OR, piece [which has just recently come out] because the locale was allegedly the site of some Indian burials, and was thereby deemed "private" or somehow unavailable for a commercial representation. Given that rationale, however, 75% of the real estate west of the Mississippi would be off limits. As I had indicated elsewhere in the Forum, I certainly have on my agenda the creation of a model submission for the Braddock Point, NY, light---AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY---and would hate to think that my efforts would be scuttled because the place is now a private residence. After all, I would not be representing it as it is, today. I know that there are complex copyright laws that apply even to the imagery of architecture, i.e., whether or not you can paint a picture that includes an existing building, etc [and isn't THAT ridiculous?!, because it would all but annihilate landscape and cityscape painting], but I am unclear as to what Harbour Lights guidelines might be. At this point, I don't want to approach them directly on the matter. Insights anyone?

Danny

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58693 10/26/05 09:17 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
I purposely left Conanicut Light, Tyler Point, and Poplar Point off the list because they are private residences.
Dan, the reason I made that statement is because lighthouses that become private residences would probably not be good sellers because their popularity would be far less than a lighthouse that allows public access in one form or another.

Harbour Lights is in the business of selling replicas of lighthouses that the public can at least visit even if it is on a limited basis. Lighthouses that have become private property and do not allow public access would never make it worth HL's efforts to try to market it.

smile Bob smile

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58694 10/26/05 10:01 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Danny, HL has no such policy. I asked that question way back when, when I got to pick a lighthouse for them to make as the winner of their first annual Winner's Choice prize. Kim, I believe it was, told me that it didn't matter if a lighthouse was privately owned so I picked Sisters Island. Crossover Island, also on the St. Lawence River is also privately owned. I'm sure there are probably others. Of course these days lighthouses are not given or sold to individuals as in the past. There are many privately owned lighthouses that have been lovingly cared for by their owners. I would think that recognition by HL for their efforts would be an honor.

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58695 10/26/05 10:21 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Let's see - just quickly . . . .

Old Michigan City could be considered privately owned, but is open as a museum
Big Bay is a B&B
East Brother is a B&B
Two Harbors is a B&B and museum
Cold Spring Harbor is privately owned
Baliey's Harbor Range Lights are, I believe, privately owned by a group of some type.
St. Joseph Point FL - isn't this a private residence?

I'm sure there are others, and not all these are so private that they are out of sight/view.

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58696 10/26/05 10:31 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Yes Dave, St Joesph,FL is privately owned. I was lucky enough to get to go inside of this interesting light a couple of years ago, and can atest to the fact that the light is in good hands.

But I will say the owners were not to happy that HL had done the light.

Eric
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58697 10/27/05 12:46 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Selkirk is a B & B and privately owned and still for sale as far as I know. The owner is happy that an HL was done. Of course the lighthouse and marina are his business.

Not all privately/individually owned lighthouse owners are receptive to publicity, visitors, etc. as we know. But many are if approached the right way. I guess with HL it's sort of an eminent domain kind of thing. It doesn't matter who owns the lighthouse. They can still make it if they want. If they know that the owner is really opposed to it maybe they wouldn't do it? Which makes one wonder, do they advise such owners beforehand???

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58698 10/27/05 01:29 AM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Think I wrote about this before, but. . . .

Stan and I drove the St. Lawrence Seaway Trail some time back. One of the stops we made was at Ogdensburg Harbor Light. The owner was mowing his lawn and Stan asked if he could take some pictures. The owner said he could if the pictures were for his own personal use. Stan told him they were and the man went on detailing how Spoontique reps had come onto the property of this lighthouse, as well as a few other in the area, taken pictures, and produced sculptures of some of the lighthouses--all without the permission of the owners. He and his neighbors were in the midst of filing a lawsuit at the time of our visit. Apparently there were items that were on the grounds depicted in the sculpture that could only have been shown if the photographs were taken recently, so this owner knew someone had trespassed in his absence.

The owner was very accommodating, allowing Stan to climb to the lens room and take pictures from that angle. I almost had a stroke when our dog (then a 2-year old black lab/border collie mix) decided she wanted to eat the owner's yippy-yappy, tiny pomeranian for lunch. But I digress. . . .

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58699 10/27/05 12:22 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
That's exactly what I meant Sandy about approaching the owners the right way. I have been well received and granted permission to photograph privately owned lighthouses. But you have to ask first. And I do believe I've heard about that lawsuit. You'd think a company would "ask first", especially when access to the grounds was required. Not sure about Sisters Island and Crossover as far as HL goes. Anyone with a boat can get photos of those from all sides.

Dogs? Seems like every lighthouse I visit kind of stealthily has a big dog that always barks to announce my arrival! eek

To add to the above list:

Bolivar (from Grace's post on another thread)

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58700 10/27/05 11:44 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
West Point Canada, and Isle au Haute, ME are also B&B lights.

Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58701 11/01/05 03:54 AM
beachcomber Offline
How about another Texas light? We don't have many, but Matagorda, the peppermill light, is a really neat one. HL made a LLOM model but there's no LE yet.

beachcomber
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58702 11/01/05 08:44 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
HL made a LLOM model but there's no LE yet.
If I were a betting man, I would bet that future LE's would be many of those lights that have already been made as LLOM's. Harbour Lights had to do the research and photography work to make the LLOM's so why not use that experience to develop the LE.

It will definitely be interesting to see what is introduced in 2006.

smile Bob smile

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58703 11/01/05 10:58 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M:
Quote:
HL made a LLOM model but there's no LE yet.
If I were a betting man, I would bet that future LE's would be many of those lights that have already been made as LLOM's. Harbour Lights had to do the research and photography work to make the LLOM's so why not use that experience to develop the LE.

It will definitely be interesting to see what is introduced in 2006.

smile Bob smile
I believe I made a similar statement after Orient POint was made as a LLOM in 2003.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58704 11/01/05 03:51 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
During the 2004 NJ Challenge I asked Kim about possible LEs of Finn's Point Rear Range and Tinicum Rear Range, since LLOMs were made for the previous challenge. She said that it was not likely to happen. Somehow, I don't think Charlevoix, MI and "Grand Island, MI" will appear as LEs, either.

Robert

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58705 11/01/05 05:24 PM
kikigl Offline
The Two Lights at Two Lights State Park in Maine are also privately owned, One is Cape Elizabeth Light and I don't think the other one has a name, which is unusual. This one, at one time, had belonged to Gary Merrill, the movie actor.

Kay
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58706 11/01/05 06:22 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Kay,

Believe the other tower is known as the West Tower.

http://www.cr.nps.gov/maritime/light/capeeliz.htm

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58707 11/05/05 05:40 PM
L
Lamplighter Offline
L
For Danny and the group,

Cape Arago is an active CG light, located
on an island with an iron bridge to it. Being
somewhat on the ricketty (sp) side and on an
active CG base, it is not open to the public.
There is an indian burial site but it is on the
mainland side, not on the island. We found this
information when we toured the Oregon lighthouses
a few years back. We were told that the the CG
"has to allow visitors" onto the base to view
the burial site and from there you can get good
views of the LH. It is posted as a NO TRESPASSING area. Marilyn wouldn't let me walk
down the driveway to thest this theory!! So we
got our photos from Sunset Beach, just south of
the LH. We did manage to get into all the Lhs
open to the public from North Head,WA to Cape
Blanco, OR. Great Trip!!

Rich smile

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58708 11/08/05 12:14 AM
beachcomber Offline
Sounds like a fantastic trip, Rich. The information about Cape Arago is intriguing. The whole area - burial grounds, bridge, etc. - sounds lika a "must see".

beachcomber
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58709 11/09/05 08:15 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
And when you go there, be prepared to hear the unimaginable racket of hundreds and hundreds of sealions barking their merry heads off. You can hear them even before you catch sight of the sea!

Danny

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58710 11/10/05 03:35 AM
beachcomber Offline
The cacophony of sea lions barking completes the picture beautifully.

beachcomber
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58711 11/16/05 02:18 AM
J
Jim Awrey Offline
J
After looking at the photos and suggestions for Conanicut Light in RI, you might want to start looking forward to seeing it as the 2006 Christmas piece. Bill Younger was at the lighthouse this past April, with a local sales rep, photographing it for a "future" Christmas piece. The "red" ones always sell the best for them!

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58712 11/16/05 03:02 AM
beachcomber Offline
I could go for that. Conanicut at Christmas would really be lovely.

beachcomber
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58713 11/16/05 12:56 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
After looking at the photos and suggestions for Conanicut Light in RI, you might want to start looking forward to seeing it as the 2006 Christmas piece. Bill Younger was at the lighthouse this past April, with a local sales rep, photographing it for a "future" Christmas piece. The "red" ones always sell the best for them!
WOW! Wouldn't that be great! A Christmas piece right from my area. I hope you're right, Jim!

smile Bob smile

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58714 11/16/05 01:19 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
The "red" ones always sell the best for them!
I totally agree with you there.
The other big seller is natural color brick or stone.

DANIEL
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58715 11/16/05 09:45 PM
beachcomber Offline
Jeez! I sure hope they don't make it a lighted one. And if they do, that they put the receptacle where it doesn't show up so much.

beachcomber
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58716 11/22/05 10:26 PM
JoAnn Offline
Just read the post about Cape Arago,thought you might want this info,true a No Trespassing sign is posted,as is the policy on all Coast Guard Housing.This is not a base per se but is a small community of housing at the end of this road.I persuaded my husband to drive down the road-{he does have a CG sticker on the car-retired Navy but the only military base nearby is CG hence the sticker.We saw a Coastie leaving his house so politely asked if we could take a picture of the LH,he said sure and told us to drive even closer past the housing to get a better view.This is the Place to view Cape Arago!

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58717 12/08/05 09:11 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Because of the major news about the sale of Harbour Lights the introduction of the January 2006 releases has been posponed until Saturday.

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58718 12/08/05 09:40 PM
SDudley Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I think you better look at the site again. All you have to do is click on the current product link.

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58719 12/08/05 10:25 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Excuse me for a moment, ...I think I will go click on that link.

smile Bob smile

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58720 12/08/05 10:30 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I couldn't find any "current product link". Was the timing error caught so that it was removed?

smile Bob smile

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58721 12/08/05 10:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The link is posted on the Latest Models Forum

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000686;p=1#000000

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58722 12/08/05 10:40 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
No, the releases are there under products and then click on 2006 Products.

Limited Editions are:

HL330 Statten Island Range, NY 4,500 $79
HL331 Fowey Rocks, FL 4,500 $99
HL332 Old Presque Isle, MI 4,500 $65
HL333 Port Clinton, OH 4,500 $45
HL335 Graves, MA 4,500 $74
HL336 Mystic Seaport, CT 4,500 $50
HL337 Owl's Head, ME 4,500 $75

Open Editions are:

HL470 Portland Breakwater, ME $60
HL471 Edgartown, MA $55
HL472 Morris Island, SC $60

Rich
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58723 12/08/05 11:54 PM
GreenBadger Offline
Hello to all,

I was able to see the photos of the new releases. They look great overall. Owl's Head looks nice! Definitely will get that one. I hope all are as excited as I am.

Take care

Jeff

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58724 12/09/05 12:17 AM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Owls head and Fowey Rocks are very nice, but the best looking one in my opinion is Old Presque Isle. Look in the available products listed by state and you can see them.

Eric
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58725 12/09/05 02:54 AM
beachcomber Offline
I am in a state of shock! Unbelievable that the Youngers will no longer be associated with HL. However, I am very, very happy that Harry will continue. I feel that will ensure the continuity that is needed. Hopefully, John, Dave, Paul and the others who have had a direct line to HL will be able to continue to do the same with Don. Don't let him discontinue the reunions!!

beachcomber
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58726 12/09/05 05:24 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by keeperpam2:
I'm sure there will be a lot of new and exciting ideas, and happenings for Harbour Lights for the new year!
Boy Pam, are you psychic?!?

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58727 12/09/05 05:20 PM
beachcomber Offline
Ah, ha! I'd wondered why Pam's statement seemed to come out of nowhere; it seemed strange at the time.

beachcomber
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58728 12/09/05 06:14 PM
beachcomber Offline
Personally, I like Owl's Head, Old Presque isle, and Staten Island. I'm sure it's because there is a complex of buildings in each. That's not to say that the others are not good models. The attention to detail on HL products is inimitable and that is what makes them all so outstanding.

beachcomber
Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58729 12/09/05 06:20 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Just viewed 2006 picks on HL's web site. Hope Owl's Head, ME is on the sculpture because someone's got it in MA on the web site. Another Split Rock??!!

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58730 12/09/05 06:43 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
The "MA" identification was due to my fat fingers in typing. I was trying to repair it today when the website went down.

Thought it was something I did!

But now that the site is back up, I'll fix it. (Keep your fingers crossed.)

Re: New releases for first half of 2006? #58731 12/10/05 11:12 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I felt the Graves Light looked really nice. This is kind of a forgotten light, but I'm looking forward to adding it to my collection.

smile Bob smile

Moderated by  Bob M 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users