Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hints, Denials, and Pretty Sure things from Long Beach #58321 04/26/99 07:33 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
In his seminars on Saturday and Sunday, Bill opened the floor up to questions. Many of the questions related to "when are you going to make...". At signing events, Bill usually says "that one is on our list..." which means it may be this year or 5 years from now.

But there was confirmation that Point Abino Canada is in production now and that we'll see it in a couple of months - probably at Rosemont.

And confirming what we learned here a few weeks back, East Quoddy Head light will be the 1999 Christmas Lighthouse.

Californians were hoping for Anacapa Island (in the future), Los Angeles Harbor (photos taken long ago, but not in the works yet), an Alaskan lighthouse (just commissioned the sculpture - look for it in about a year.)

Sunday Bill was interviewed on the "CollectorChannel" on a web TV broadcast that lasted about 15 minutes. Bill showed off some of the Harbour Lights sculptures and as they were talking about Cape Hatteras, the host said "that might be a nice one to make, Cape Hatteras -- on the move".

Then Bill said "oh, we're working on that one now". The Harbour Lighters who were watching the interview all looked at one another in surprise. When this tidbit was revealed to Kim back at the HL Booth, she went off and talked to her father.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 04-26-99).]

Re: Hints, Denials, and Pretty Sure things from Long Beach #58322 04/26/99 09:09 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
That's great news, John! I'm extremely pleased about the 1999 Christmas HL, East Quoddy. I think that was an excellent choice.

Bob

Re: Hints, Denials, and Pretty Sure things from Long Beach #58323 04/27/99 02:08 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>>the host said "that might be a nice one to make, Cape Hatteras -- on the move".

Then Bill said "oh, we're working on that one now". ...<<

Guess it takes alot less to move Bill than it does to move Hatteras. :-)

Re: Hints, Denials, and Pretty Sure things from Long Beach #58324 04/27/99 04:42 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I stand corrected. Point Abino is underway, but will not be out this year.

John

Re: Hints, Denials, and Pretty Sure things from Long Beach #58325 04/27/99 07:01 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
John,

Keep us up to date on what's in the making.
Thanks

Moby

Moby
Re: Hints, Denials, and Pretty Sure things from Long Beach #58326 05/01/99 12:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm excited about the announcement work on a HL piece for Cape Hatteras "on the move". Is it possible that there will be a special event to coincide with an official ceremony at the end of the move? It appears from the National Park Services schedule that Memorial Day 2000 would be a memorable release date. I have cut some of the remaining events of the move from National Park Service move timeline from their Web site.

In May, the shoring towers will be removed and the lighthouse lifted onto the track steel and roller dollies.

In June, the lighthouse will be lowered onto the track and transport to the new site will be initiated. Transporting the lighthouse about 1/2 mile is estimated to take approximately 4 to 6 weeks.

The Lighthouse is scheduled to arrive at its' new location in mid July.

Bob Reynolds, Superintendent of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore said, "My goal is to have the light station and the lighthouse open for public use by Memorial Day of 2000."

RaleighRon

Re: Hints, Denials, and Pretty Sure things from Long Beach #58327 05/02/99 03:35 PM
jakescol Offline
Wacko
Wacko
RUMOR RUMOR RUMOR> My source was reliable, his source was reliable but we don't know if it is true. The rumor is that they are going to re-do Grosse Point IL. Now isn't that interesting.

Jake

Re: Hints, Denials, and Pretty Sure things from Long Beach #58328 05/02/99 06:09 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Regardless of when the tower arrives at the new location, I believe the relighting and celebration will be held Memorial Day, 2000. Bill Younger will be there.

Not too early to make your reservations now!! Any recommendations for hotels in the area?

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 05-02-99).]

Re: Hints, Denials, and Pretty Sure things from Long Beach #58329 05/03/99 12:16 AM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
Well then, if Hatteras 'on the move' in in the works, the question of the day has to be: Will the piece be an LE, a GLOW, a Mini, or something else? Edition of 10,000? Or a Hillsboro like 6,500? Or will it be subscription only for Society members?

Inquiring minds want to know. And it's fun to speculate.

Rick

[This message has been edited by RMau (edited 05-02-99).]

Re: Hints, Denials, and Pretty Sure things from Long Beach #58330 05/03/99 11:17 PM
drwhok9 Offline
It is nice to have a place for discussion on new items that might be in the works. I have a question??? - For some time there has been indication that a new/reworked version of the Portland Head ME GLOW was to be issued. This is indicated in some of the "after-market" price guide books and an item for sale at The Lighthouse Depot web site to be available July/Aug. this year. Is there any thing going on? My reason for asking is that I just purchased this lighthouse from someone through the Marketplace forum and would be interested in a new version as the original is somewhat out of my price range. Also the GLOW version matches a shower curtain which has the Portland Head lighthouse on it (if you can believe it).
Just kind of interested - Thanks.

Jim
Dr. Who ?
Re: Hints, Denials, and Pretty Sure things from Long Beach #58331 05/04/99 12:23 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome to the forums, drwhok9! Some weeks ago I asked this question during the chat. Kim Andrews was a guest that evening and did indicate that the revised Portland Head GLOW would be...coming soon. I like the "matching shower curtain" bit. Sounds like one of my ideas!

Re: Hints, Denials, and Pretty Sure things from Long Beach #58332 05/04/99 12:36 AM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
John....you can rent beach front condo's that can accomodate several people. Maybe some of us who are interested in going should think about renting one together, it would be much more fun than a hotel room!! Anyone interested???? I would be glad to do the research on the cost, etc. Hey Ron, how about you and MaryJane making a trek to the Outer Banks, we could have a 2000 Reunion after all!!!!

Kat

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: Hints, Denials, and Pretty Sure things from Long Beach #58333 05/04/99 01:58 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
BOOK 'EM, KAT!

How many can you tie down? How much? Who else?

Re: Hints, Denials, and Pretty Sure things from Long Beach #58334 05/04/99 08:57 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I spoke with Nancy Younger last Sunday about the Portland Head Glow. My inquiry was about how much larger it would be than the former Portland Head Glow, and when could we expect to see it. Nancy felt that it would be released early in the summer and its actual size is comparable to the size of the Marblehead, Ohio Stamp Series Light. That piece just happend to be in the case when she was looking for something to compare the new Portland Head to. She also added the revised Southeast Block would be approximately the same size.

I buy both LE's and Glows so I will be anxious to see these two revised pieces.

Bob

Re: Hints, Denials, and Pretty Sure things from Long Beach #58335 05/04/99 03:43 PM
Sunshine Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Hey you all,

Don't forget that during the Sunday seminar that Kim confirmed there were to be more Keeper and Friends coming very soon.

Re: Hints, Denials, and Pretty Sure things from Long Beach #58336 05/04/99 10:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am planning to go see Cape Hatteras during its' move away from the advancing/rising ocean. I am not familiar with the northern beaches. I like Beaufort/Morehead City and Atlantic Beach to Emeralld Isle beaches where you can see the light for Cape Lookout. I also go to Wilmington -Wrightsville beach area to visit my daughter. I can pick up some fliers for cottage rentals when I am there and pass on some rental agencies that handle houses on the beach. One thing to remember is that many of the better cottages are rented out for the summer by the end of Jan or Feb.

[This message has been edited by RaleighRon (edited 05-04-99).]

Moderated by  Bob M 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 929 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users