Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: "Guest Artist" For A Harbour Lights Sculpture? #58095 03/03/07 11:41 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
You store your HL's in an unfinished basement?
Bob, I suspect you know this, but Bob O. (bobo) means he is going to stash it in his unfinished basement where he doesn't have to look at it.

He's going to keep his collection intact, buying Barking Rock because it has an HL # assigned to it. The basement location also prevents having to explain it's presence to visitors.

The balloons w/o HL#'s didn't cause this kind of problem.

Good plan, bobo!

Judy

Judy
Re: "Guest Artist" For A Harbour Lights Sculpture? #58096 03/04/07 10:17 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I took the comments that have been made in this post and created a Poll. Lets see how all the forum members feel about the Barking Rock.

Barking Rock lighthouse Poll

DANIEL
Re: "Guest Artist" For A Harbour Lights Sculpture? #58097 03/04/07 11:35 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
The one detail that BOBO didn't let you know is that he does not have an "unfinished basement". He is going to bury it in the ground where his basement would have been.

Rich
Re: "Guest Artist" For A Harbour Lights Sculpture? #58098 03/04/07 01:05 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm all for HL doing what it takes to make a profit, and that may be cashing in on the David Winter fans. However I would like to have seen it under a new set of numbers, not under the current HL ones.

Jim
Re: "Guest Artist" For A Harbour Lights Sculpture? #58099 03/04/07 01:36 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
My knowledge of collectables is limited to Harbour Lights. Who has more collectors or customers, David Winter or Harbour Lights?

confused Bob confused

Re: "Guest Artist" For A Harbour Lights Sculpture? #58100 03/04/07 08:01 PM
2beacons Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Barking Rocks??????

What a dog.

As I look at my curios full of Harbour Lights, I can see no reason why I would ever own this piece.

I understand that Harbour Lights needs to get a new following of customers to make the company grow. However, when they made the decision to have dishes they didn't give them a HL limited edition number. Then WHY oh WHY give something that has no place in the HL Limited Edition Line a HL number that is in the middle of the collection now. They could have started a new line like the LLOM or GLOWs or Anchor Bay but NO.....they put it in the middle of a collection that has a large number of hard core collectors......BAD DECISION.

It reminds me of the Knights Of Not So Round Table. At least HL didn't put those in the middle of the HL Limited Edition Line. Any long time collector knows where that line went.

2beacons

Re: "Guest Artist" For A Harbour Lights Sculpture? #58101 03/05/07 01:11 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Bob, I suspect you know this, but Bob O.(bobo) means he is going to stash it in his unfinished basement where he doesn't have to look at it.
Judy,

You are only partically correct. You see, anything that I put in my basement seems to get lost forever. It's like an entrance to the virtual unknown.

bobo

Re: "Guest Artist" For A Harbour Lights Sculpture? #58102 03/05/07 11:22 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
There certainly haven't been a lot of positive comments about "Barking Rocks". It makes me wonder how the folks at Harbour Lights feel about the negative feelings expressed. I also wonder what would be the reaction if the David Winter people introduced a sculpture of a real lighthouse to their regular customers.

One thing that should be taken into consideration is the fact that many HL collectors are not connected collectors, and do not participate at the CF. Could there be a chance that this low edition size could possibly sell out to those unconnected collectors? Will there be enough collectors, who try to keep a complete collection, to empty the Barking Rocks piece from dealer stockrooms?

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: "Guest Artist" For A Harbour Lights Sculpture? #58103 03/05/07 11:51 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I thinks its obvious to say that the piece is very unpopular with CF members. Probably the only sales will come from the few that feel they have to collect every HL LE. confused

I think the piece will sell well outside the CF community because there is a large market for fictional/fantasy lighthoues. Throw in some who just collect any ol' lighthouse, gift shoppers, and the the few HL collectors that have to have everyone.

If it doesn't sell well, it's probably because of the price & size. Same piece at $85 and about 8 inches in height would have been better.

I guess time will tell.

PS - I think we need to do a limerick about this one. laugh

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: "Guest Artist" For A Harbour Lights Sculpture? #58104 03/05/07 10:07 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
David Winters is a very talented person and I don't feel like anyone here is personally attacking him as an artist. There are people who will buy this piece who enjoy that kind of sculpture. I think everyone where prefers the triditional lighthouses. I would rather Harbour Lights had given it a differant number and category.

Cyndi
Re: "Guest Artist" For A Harbour Lights Sculpture? #58105 03/05/07 10:23 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Cyndi,

You are right on target. I don't believe that anyone is questioning the talent and expertise of David Winters. I've seen some of his work and it's fascinating.

The only problem stems from the fact that is has been numbered as an "HL" -- not cool.

bobo

Re: "Guest Artist" For A Harbour Lights Sculpture? #58106 03/16/07 05:01 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
I bought my mom David Winter English cottages several Christmases in a row. We both loved looking for the mouse on them and were amazed at their detail (not unlike Harbour Lights). I love David Winter's work.

But I believe he was smoking something when he created this monstrosity. What a train wreck. It is wholly inconsistent with the spirit of Harbour Lights and its commitment to REAL lighthouses.

I wouldn't pay a plug nickel for this. I wouldn't take it for free.

Barking Rocks. Puh...leez!

I hope one day we'll get to see how he would actually sculpt an existing lighthouse (an English one would be perfect for him).

Very disappointed. Try again.

-

Re: "Guest Artist" For A Harbour Lights Sculpture? #58107 03/16/07 05:13 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
I hope one day we'll get to see how he would actually sculpt an existing lighthouse (an English one would be perfect for him).
Bill, I agree 100% with this statement. I'll bet he could do an excellent job -- expecially with an English lighthouse.

bobo

Re: "Guest Artist" For A Harbour Lights Sculpture? #58108 03/16/07 05:24 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Bill
I think you hit the nail on the head.
HL might have done a home run with David Winter if he tackled a real lighthouse
And made it one of a English favorite.

DANIEL
Re: "Guest Artist" For A Harbour Lights Sculpture? #58109 03/18/07 10:23 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
HL might have done a home run with David Winter if he tackled a real lighthouse
And made it one of a English favorite.
Excellent suggestion, Dan! There's no denying the talent of the David Winter folks.

Just because our fellow forum members don't agree with the release of Barking Rocks under a Harbour Lights number doesn't mean we wouldn't accept a sculpture of a real lighthouse by the same people.

Maybe someday this suggestion will become a reality.

cool Bob cool

Re: "Guest Artist" For A Harbour Lights Sculpture? #58110 03/28/07 10:49 PM
jakescol Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Just when I thought I had seen everything. But it has reared its ugly head again. It has just renewed my theory that marketing people have all read the same marketing book. They, on a whole, have no idea of what it means to have a great collection. HL clearly attempted to market their other lines by introducing it to HL collectors and most have failed. They have failed to protect the integrity of the HL lighthouse collection. Almost every company has done the same thing. This is clearly an effort to cross pollenate collections in a feeble attempt to try and keep a collectors base out there. HL is not the first in doing this. In fact they were a little slow. Department 56 and Precious Moments, to name a few, have incorporated Disney characters onto their figurines. They have started about 3 years ago, and have steadily increased the amount of "mixed" figurines in their lines. Disney has had an event in Florida for the last two years introducing these pieces. It is an attempt to draw collectors from both venues in hope of maintaining somewhat of a collectors base. Now HL is going to try and draw David Winters collectors with HL collectors? Both collections have lost a large part of their collector base.
Now "David Winters" is a great artist, but if I wanted to collect his work I would buy his cottages. He could have put this piece in his collection. It is the beginning of more to come. Besides what will we be looking for a "Mouse" or a "Seahorse"
After reading these "Posts" the smartist thing HL could do is bite the bullit and take the phony lighthouse out of the collection and get back to the business of producing "Real lighthouses", new ones that have not been produced two or three times before.

Re: "Guest Artist" For A Harbour Lights Sculpture? #58111 03/28/07 11:06 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hmmm. Disney and Harbour Lights. Just maybe:

But ONLY if the swimming pool is also included!

With Mickey & Minnie splashing down the water slide from the gallery railing!

Talk about cross-over! Talk about a tie-in! Talk, talk, talk about it! Get the Buzz going! Maybe a Collector Forums EXCLUSIVE in 2008. Maybe a Weekend Regional at Disney World's Key West Resort & Spa!!

Come-on, admit it. We needed a little levity in this thread. We'll seal this one up in a time capsule and look at it again in 10 years and see who wins the "soothsayer" award. (Top Prize a "rare Barking Rocks")

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bob M 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,471 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users