Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Reunion Cruise??? #56649 07/01/02 12:36 AM
Randy Kremer Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
The subject of the next reunion and maybe a cruise came up at the seminar at Rosemont on Saturday. Since the BOSS (KIM) was in attendance, a show of hands by those at the seminar overwhelmingly were in support of such an idea! I, myself would love to go on a cruise with all the Harbour Lights people! Alaska in the summer? Sounds good to me! Should be able to see many lights this way! I know this subject has been brought up before, but now the "one" in charge knows many are interested!

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56650 07/01/02 11:32 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Count me in!!! Sounds like an awesome idea!!

Jim
Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56651 07/01/02 11:50 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
The response from the crowd of over 190 was 189 for it and 1 against it (seasickness). When Kim asked how many had gone to a reunion it was around 80 % of those who had responded, so I think the message was these people will go for it and go on a Cruise Reunion....

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56652 07/02/02 12:06 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Prior to Kim's bringing up the Cruise idea Bill also stated that they would still like to hold a reunion in the Great Lakes area provided they can find the facilities to accomodate everyone.

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56653 07/02/02 10:56 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Personally, I like the idea of a Reunion cruise, although I wonder if the cost might just be to limiting. I recall a few people begging off of the Baltimore Reunion due to the cost, I can only imagine that a cruise would be double to triple the cost of a land based Reunion. Could make it kind of limiting. I know I'd try to find a way to go, but not everyone could afford it thats for sure.

I'd like to see a Great Lakes based reunion first, then maybe for the fifth reunion, go on a cruise!

Mike

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56654 07/02/02 11:11 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I don't believe the cost would be any more than Baltimore, maybe even less, it would depend greatly on how many days it goes... the costly part might be getting to where you board the crusie ship, depending on where the cruise was going to cruise.

I too wish it could be in the Great Lakes area but I think that finding a location that covers all of the requirements will be very difficult.. near lighthouses, near airport, big hotel or hotels and a place to seat around 1,000 for dinner at one time..

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56655 07/02/02 11:49 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
The cruise idea is a good one. A possible reunion in the Great Lakes Region is also a good one. The possibility of another HL Reunion is a good one.

If a cruise becomes a reality, it would be nice to pick an area where the maximum number of lighthouses could be viewed at a reasonable cost to those attending. Alaska might be nice but would it be more expensive? Are cruise ships available during "prime time" at a reasonable price? Timing is important so that we don't end up in some area where it just happens to be the "rainy season".

Was there any indication of when the next reunion may take place? Some folks need some serious lead time to plan their time off. If something isn't already in the works, I would guess that we might not see a reunion until 2004, or maybe even 2005.

Think REUNION!...that is well!

Bob

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56656 07/02/02 02:55 PM
LightHog_dup1 Offline
On the return trip from our first Regional at Rosemont this past weekend, AK and I decided that the next Reunion is a MUST DO for us. If 200 WACKO's was that much fun, 1000 would be awesome.

Being a MI resident, and lover of the Great Lakes, I would prefer a site it that area, however the preference of the Reunion veterans was for a cruise.

How about a Great Lakes Cruise. That once thriving industry has been making a come back the last few years. Seems to me that would present an opportunity to see many lights, including some of the hard to get to off shore lights in the Great Lakes.

Roger

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56657 07/02/02 03:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Carol & I were fortunate enough to attend our first reunion in Baltimore and had an outstanding time. Visiting various lighthouses was great, but meeting a lot of lighthousing people was the best.

We are on board for any future reunions whether they be land-based or on the water. A Great Lakes site would be nice and very convenient for us. A cruise would be great fun. Can't wait!!!

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56658 07/02/02 06:37 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Right on Roger!!!!!!!!

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56659 07/02/02 06:48 PM
T
TERRY BARFIELD Offline
T
Great , as Roger suggested.......combine the 2 ideas. A Great Lakes cruise !

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56660 07/02/02 06:53 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
The problem so far for a Great Lakes Cruise is that... the ships that are on the Great Lakes don't hold that many people...

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 07-02-2002).]

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56661 07/02/02 11:26 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
No dates were mentioned Bob. Do any cruise ships seat 1000 at one time for meals? Don't most of them have more than one seating? This is what BY would like to avoid.

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56662 07/02/02 11:32 PM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
I really like the cruise idea, especially if it could be pulled off in the great lakes area. But, whereever it is, I'll be there.

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56663 07/03/02 10:46 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
How about the Grand Hotel up on Mackinaw Island. Would hold everbody, close enough to Grand Traveres and Sault Saint Marie airports and I think there might even be a few lighthouses around there!

Mike

(excuse the possible spelling mistakes)

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56664 07/03/02 10:53 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Harbour Lights talked to them before the last reunion and there were several problems that couldn't be worked out.

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56665 07/03/02 01:28 PM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
www.grandhotel.com

Check out the pricing for a nights stay, and the evening attire is NOT shorts and t-shirts!!!

Our senior class trip was an adventure to Mackinac Island...fun! fun! fun!

Our 30th class reunion is this Sunday, with a hawaiian feast and all of the trimmings planned. I am sure that there will be plenty of talk about our "class trip"!

[This message has been edited by bright eyes (edited 07-03-2002).]

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56666 07/03/02 01:56 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Whether land based or water based we definitely need a place where we can be comfortably attired! Wackos in evening attire wearing badges around our necks? I don't think so!

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56667 07/03/02 02:12 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Price and dress code were just two of the problems...

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56668 07/03/02 02:33 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
For those interested, here's a previous thread where we talked about a Great Lakes or Alaska reunion cruise before, including using an Ore Freighter or the official Harbour Lights Yacht!:

Previous Cruise Comments

Rod Watson
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 07-03-2002).]

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56669 07/04/02 02:12 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Why do we need a cruise? Keep it simple so us poor democrats can go! No, I don't want a cruise.

imho

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56670 07/04/02 02:51 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
How about Daytona Beach, Florida. Everybody keeps talking about the Great Lakes needing a reunion. The south has never hosted one. Baltimore in case anyone hasn't checked is still up north and not to great a distance from Providence. Oh by the way, Florida lights sell out the fastest of any lights also.

Rich

Rich
Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56671 07/04/02 11:56 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Rich,

Don't tell most of the people in Baltimore that they are up north.

It's south of the Mason-Dixon line. By your definition the south already has had it's convention- you can"t get any further South in California than San Diego.

The idea behind the Great Lakes is to give the Center of the country a break, and there are a few Lighthouses on the Great Lakes.

The problem is the best place on the Lakes (at least the place that fits the neeeds the best) is visited every year- Chicago.

The Cruise Ships on the Great Lakes are too small and too expensive for our needs.

Florida would be a good place to go.

I'd say that the next Reunion should be either on the Great Lakes (unlikely) or in the Seattle area (keeps a balance with the East and the West coasts that is off now) with an option of an Alaskan Cruise before or after the Reunion.

Just a thought.

Dennis

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56672 07/04/02 11:58 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sean,

I didn't realize that they don't let democrats go on cruises.

I guess I'm going to have to cancel my cruise to Bermuda.

Dennis

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56673 07/04/02 01:51 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
The south has never hosted one. Baltimore in case anyone hasn't checked is still up north and not to great a distance from Providence.

I totally agree with Rich. I am still waiting for a southern Reunion. I hope no one thinks that the Baltimore reunion was a southern Reunion. To me that was just an other Northern Reunion. All this talk about Great lakes and Alaska. I think it’s the deep South’s turn. Florida has the most popular lights in the U.S. And if its cruses you are talking about. Florida is still the best place. How about the cruise from Cape Canaveral to Key west. You can see Cape Canaveral light, Key West light and America shoal light. Sand Key if you take the glass bottom boat trip from Key West. Also Dry Tortugas light and Loggerhead light by boat trip or plane from Key West. There are also St Augustine, St John’s light, Ponce light, Amelia Island, Jupiter, Cape Florida, and Hillsboro in a 150 mile radius from Cape Canaveral.

Your turn Rich

DANIEL
Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56674 07/04/02 03:18 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
I agree with Sean that costs should be kept down for us poor folks! As evidenced by the last couple gatherings in Rosemont/Navy Pier Wackos don't need to go first class to have a good time.

While the Baltimore Reunion was very nice for me it was just too large a group. It was nice to have been able to meet some folks for the first time but it was difficult to really spend much time with them. There was just too much going on. Did we really need the boat ride and the aquarium? Do club tables really need to be manned all the time while there were so many other activities to participate in? I know I only had time to do about half the stuff planned. Quality time with good friends is what I prefer.

I'm sure the first and second Reunions are what enabled many of this group to meet in the first place. Since then we've seen the development of the HL site and Collectors Forums thanks to John and others. How many of us have become acquainted through them? At such a large event as a Reunion we may meet and chat with a few additional folks but by and large those who already know each other still gravitate to each other.

This may be heresy but with the establishment of Regional Events, do we still need a Reunion? If the Eastern, Southern and Western Regionals were souped up a bit perhaps they would suffice? Some folks already attend more than one. If, for instance, someone from Region A decided they wanted to meet more people in Region B and they knew they would have a reasonably priced hotel, Wacko gathering and a bit of optional lighthousing available perhaps they would chose to attend. It would just take a few folks to step up and set things up as is done in Chicago. Or as previously mentioned have a Wacko Reunion?

Just my humble opinon.

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56675 07/04/02 03:47 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Mombo,

I don't think your idea is heresy.

It's possible that the group has gotten too large for a single Reuinion.

The Regionals are a good replacement for it and the plans that were put together by the indisviduals (Dave, john, etc) for this past Regional / Rosemont event could be repeated by others at the Fall and winter Regionals.

The Winter one is in Florida and I'm sure that some of the people lobbying for a Southern Reunion could get together with that large , loud and involved Florida contingent of Wackos and come up with something.

There could be a great pre or post Florida Lighthouse tour. Or maybe someone could work on a boat trip out to many of the offshore lighthouses that are hard to get to.

There's lots of things that can be arranged with a little (well maybe more than a little) work by someone in the area.

There's plenty of lead time to figure these things out. I'm sure Dave or John or the others that have planned these excursions in the past would be glad to give assistancs to those who want to try and set something up.

I will say this though- a cruise done at the right time with good prior planning in the Florida/ Carribean area could actually cost less than the Weekend long Reunion in Baltimore. And that includes the cost of getting to the area.

Dennis

Dennis

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56676 07/04/02 06:40 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Poor democrats versus rich republicans Dennis, just a little humorous stereotyping.

Give the Middle of the country a break, oh come on, what a bunch of hooey! They get a mini reunion in their backyard every year. ROSEMONT! If there is the drive to go to the Great Lakes I hope it's because people want to visit the lighthouses, not some ridiculous idea that having reunions in one area or the other saves money. Your going to have Hotel costs, travel costs etc.......... I hope Harbour Lights picks their locations so that they are vacationable (sp?), meaning lighthouses and things to do for the whole family. They should also be reasonably accessable, such as proximity to Interstates and good Airports.

imho

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56677 07/04/02 06:45 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Ooops, one other thing. Baltimore in the South? No way! I couldn't get one glass of Sweet Tea anywhere in the city. No self respecting Southern City could possibly let that happen!

LOL

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56678 07/04/02 07:04 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Sounds like it should be Daytona Beach all the way. We have cruises out of Port Canaveral, Disney World, Sea World, Sliver Springs, St. Augustine and Cape Kennedy all within 60-100 miles of Daytona. We have Cape Cananeral, Ponce De Leon Inlet, St. Augustine, St John's and Amelia Island all within 10-100 miles of Daytona. We have beaches galore at your front door and hotels capable of holding 1000 people in one building. The month of October is great because you can still swim, golf, boat and fish in 70-80 degree weather with no rain as the norm. The hurricane season is over and the rates are off season so you can get a room from $50 a night on up. They even have weekly rates of approximately $200 on up.

Come on down ya'll and enjoy the real south. And for anyone that thinks Baltimore is in the south, gimme a break. I lived even further south in Dale City, VA for 8 years and even that was too far north. You know that your in the south when the people ask you what a snow shovel is when you have it tied to the front of your car and you don't have to ask for grits when you stop at a restaurant for breakfast. They are automatically included with your breakfast. I'll lobby for Florida either for the reunion or cruise.

Back to you Daniel.

Rich

[This message has been edited by flacoastie (edited 07-04-2002).]

Rich
Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56679 07/04/02 07:23 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
There's a hotel big enough to house and feed over 1,000 collectors at one time in Daytona??

They do have a lot of hotels there but I don't remember a great big hotel...

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56680 07/04/02 07:43 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by SThompson:
Poor democrats versus rich republicans Dennis, just a little humorous stereotyping.

I hope Harbour Lights picks their locations so that they are vacationable (sp?), meaning lighthouses and things to do for the whole family. They should also be reasonably accessable, such as proximity to Interstates and good Airports.

imho

Sean,

I knew the democrats line was an attempt at humour.

Also, I was trying to be humourous when I daid Baltimore was in the South- technically it is, but not spiratually.

I also agree with the idea that any Reuniuon should be planned with the enjoyment of the event in mind, not trying to balnace it out for different parts of the country.

Your right about the Great Lakes point also- I made that point to my wife earlier today.

I still like Mombo's thoughts that maybe we don't need a gigantic Reunion with the expansion of the Regionals you get a chance for people to get together and not be such a large group.

There is only one undisputible fact in all of this- no matter what is done you can't please everybody so you should make sure to please yourself.

They've done a good job in the past and I'm sure whatever Harbour lights decides on the Reunion/ Regional issue it will work out. Hashing out ideas, gripes, etc can only help them make their decision.

Dennis

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56681 07/04/02 08:15 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Ocala is only 65 miles from the beach in Daytona and I go there on an average of once a month. I don't claim to know the exact count of all the hotel rooms there but they have several Hotels that are capable of housing 1000 or more people. Now if you want to get technical about it, they could not house 1000 individual people in 1000 individual rooms in one hotel and theywould have to contract with an adjoining hotel(isn't that what they did in Providence). But, I would assume that most of the rooms would house 2 or more people in them as most do when conventions are held. Facilities could either be in the hotel banquet room or in the Ocean Center Convention Building that is easily within walking distance of at least 25% of the larger hotels. Remember, the south(and Daytona Beach area) has grown quite considerably in the last 10 years with hotel rooms for tourism, Jaguar football games, spring break, Daytona 500, July 4th Races and Bike week.

Rich

[This message has been edited by flacoastie (edited 07-04-2002).]

Rich
Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56682 07/05/02 11:04 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Rich,

Take the challenge and do what we just did in Wisconsin. Set up a 2-3 day lighthousing adventure to go along with the Florida Regional event. Invite out-of-town folks to join you. Where possible, arrange for them to ride with someone so they don't have to rent a car (even though some may choose to anyway.)

We had a wonderful group of 25 people from 7 different states join us for our Wisconsin adventure. We had rides for folks who flew in. The only "fee" we charged was $10 to cover the out-of-pocket expense of buying some HLs to give to the CG Station. Each family received a schedule/timeline with directions and info on each of the lights we visited. We located a hotel and let each person be responsible for their own reservations. We set up dinners "on the fly" once we got into the area.

Bottom line is, we all had fun; we didn't lose anyone (at least permanently); we kept the whole adventure to a minimum expense for everyone; and, most importantly, many of us saw lights we had not seen before. In fact, we had so much fun that several have asked if we can do it again next year.

Dave

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56683 07/07/02 03:30 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
If you shop around, a cruise doesn't have to be expensive. My husband and I and another couple were on a 7 day cruise in January out of San Juan, PR. The total cost was $499 a person, not including air. We used frequent flyer miles so the entire trip was only $1000 for 2 people. That is VERY cheap considering that covers room, food, and entertainment.

We were on the ship "Adventure of the Seas". It is a very large ship (too big to go through the Panama Canal) but it could easily hold 1000 people at one time in the dining room.

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56684 07/08/02 03:54 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Regionals vs Reunions.

One thing to keep in mind is that some of us wackos don't live near any of the sites that have hosted either a regional or a reunion. When you live in Colorado, the chances of hosting a regional event or reunion are nil. Therefore collectors here must ALWAYS travel a distance to attend.

Not everyone can afford to fly off somewhere every year to a regional event. My wife and I saved and planned for each reunion so we would be able to enjoy it. We could never afford to do that every year to attend a "Super"-regional event.

With enough prior planning and preparation, a cruise could be arranged that would be affordable for everyone. Don't forget that with these huge new cruise ships, room shouldn't be a problem. Plus different packges could be offered at different cost for the various classes of cabins.

Please remember that not all of us wackos live within a days drive of a lighthouse,
great lake or ocean. The reunions are our only opportunity to combine all the things we love (lighthouses, water, great friends, great fun, great food) into one package.

That is my two cents worth.

------------------
Randall Ronne

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56685 07/08/02 08:45 PM
sanibel
sanibel
Ok, I'll step into this mix with one comment. Don't forget hurricane season. I grew up in Eastern North Carolina, so I know what I am talking about. Hurricane season officially lasts till November 1st and no matter who plans it I think that is a risk in the Florida area Harbour Lights is not willing to take. Can you imagine a 1000 people on a cruise ship with a huge storm coming? Yes, you do get enough time to deal with the storm and come back to shore, but you do not get money back guarantees and there would be nothing Harbour Lights could do to help anyone get their money back. Wonder why the Florida regional is that late in the year? Of course, the tourist season is part of it, but Harbour Lights is not naive enough not to consider the weather seasons when planning larger events.
Yes, Florida would be a wonderful reunion site, but there are serious risks. Neither Baltimore nor Providence had those kinds of weather risks. Harbour Lights has to juggle when during the calendar year to hold these. Summer is bad because of higher prices, fall is optimal in many climates, but not all. Winter is not good for those with kids in school but good for those trying to escape cold weather. Spring is a 50/50 shot in most places that thaw out but school and other problems such as the main collector shows for their industry are in the spring.
I would love to do a cruise to Alaska or even do something in Washington or Oregon. The weather would not be a problem unless it was Alaska and no matter what time of year they try to plan this, someone will complain.
I know Harbour Lights has been trying to work out the Great Lakes, but they have had their share of problems. Feeding, housing and entertaining 500 to 1000 people is a huge challenge. I know some of you think it is expensive, but if you look at what they include for the dollars you spend, the collectors come out ahead!

Ok, time to get off my soap box for now. I wish Harbour Lights luck as they attempt to determine another destination for a reunion. We all love these events when we are there, but the planning it takes for them amazes me.

Eileen Dunlap
Charlotte, NC
Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56686 07/09/02 10:50 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The most important thing is that there IS another reunion. I'll be happy with whatever is chosen as long as it actually happens!

Mike

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56687 07/09/02 11:34 AM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm with you Mike. I'll support a reunion event wherever it may be. I'm jusst sorry I didn't make it to the first two.

Dan

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56688 07/09/02 07:27 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Me to Mike but I would prefer to not be on a cruise. If I want to take a cruise I would rather do it on a more relaxed pace than the typical Harbour Lights Reunion. Imho, the land based reunion has more to offer to "me" than does being trapped in Cruise Ship. Of course if you want to make it exciting I'm all for heading strait into a Hurricane with the Cruise Ship, that would be an adventure!!!

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56689 07/09/02 07:48 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Been there, done that. The last cruise we took, got chased half the way by hurricane Gordon. Had to pass up on the Cayman Islands because the water was to rough to tender people ashore. Ended up 4 days at sea, 3 in port, which was not the way I would have preffered it.

How about Detroit for a reunion spot. Lots of lights by land or water a day trip away. Got to be big hotels there. How about Buffalo? Ditto there with the trips. How about Cleveland?

Talk amongst yourselves...

Mike

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56690 07/10/02 01:14 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have to agree with Randall. Being in Colorado we'll never see a reunion unless California gets hit with one big earthquake (God forbid) and ends up in the Pacific. Even then there's still Nevada and Utah to deal with before CO could have beach front property. lol

As far as Baltimore being Southern...being originally from Virginia, (and 'Carolina blood on both my Momma's & Daddy's side)I beg to differ. Baltimore is not considered Southern. Any place above Richmond is North, and the true deciding factor, if you can't get grits or sweet tea, you ain't Southern.

No matter where the next reunion is I will try my very hardest to get there, cause I want to meet all the other Wackos live and in person!

MelJB (GRITS - Girl Raised in the South!)

[This message has been edited by MelJB (edited 07-09-2002).]

[This message has been edited by MelJB (edited 07-13-2002).]

Melody
Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56691 07/10/02 08:19 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm glad a few of you have brought up the possibility of bad weather/hurricane/whatever that could really put the damper on a cruise. I landed in Bermuda in 1987 just 12 hours before hurricame Emily devastated the island. It turned into a real adventure but I would have preferred a quieter vacation.

I see Buffalo was mentioned as an alternative to the Michigan area. I'm not familiar with the area but did travel through it to Niagara Falls about 25 years or so ago. I stayed on the Canadian side and loved it. I don't know what it is like there now.

I still like the idea of a Great Lakes location. Maybe it's time to give the collectors in that area a break.

The most important thing is still that we have a "next" reunion. Reunions bring us together and gives all of us something additional to get excited about as collectors of the greatest collectible in the world.

Bob

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56692 07/10/02 11:08 AM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Had our (high school) 30th class reunion (Hawaiian Luau) this past weekend, and the conversation was in the direction of what we can do for our 35th and 40th class reunions...the subject of a "Class Reunion Cruise" kept popping up!
Several suggestions: a Great Lakes, Florida or Carribean Cruise surfaced.
Will be interesting to see what develops...

P.S. The Hawaiian Luau theme was a huge success!

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56693 07/10/02 11:02 PM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Mary,

Poi, oh poi .... Glad to hear the Reunion came off as well as it apparently did.

D

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56694 07/11/02 03:45 PM
dkhemming Offline
Well I agree with Mike (Cana Fan) and some others. First we need to see when and if there will be another reunion. If one is planned Kate and I will be in attendance.

As we just had the Baltimore event last year we probably won't see another reunion until 2004 or 2005, but I'm only speculating (what do I know). Then again, HL may stick with Regionals. We've already started "saving our pennies" for whatever and whenever the next big event is planned.

When you really look at the big picture the event is nice, but the friends and great times are what it's all about. Right?

I guess you can say, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. It won't be tomorrow so this topic will continue to be "kicked around" on the forum for sometime to come.

Dave

Kate & Dave
Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56695 07/15/02 03:01 PM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I have been reading the replies here since Rosemont. I for one understand the cost aspect of this thing and so am very much in favor of a great lakes thing if possible. I really enjoyed Rosemont and look forward to another doings of some sort. We like other are saving out pennies but if it is a west coast Alaska thing, I'm not sure there are enough pennies for us to collect. Course if we didn't buy any more lighthouses, but then wouldn't that be sort of counter preductive??

Well, as others have said, it's not tomarrow and it will be very intersting to see what will come of all this discussion.

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56696 07/15/02 08:38 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Depending on where a reunion is held, it can be (and often is) cheaper for someone in the midwest to fly to the west coast than it is to fly east. Keep on debating, but don't throw in the towell until you know the whole story. I would venture a guess that we won't see a reunion in the southeast, especially in light of the fact that HL likes fall gatherings and hurricanes are a possibility well into the fall.

IMHO,
Dave

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56697 07/15/02 09:43 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Since living in Florida off an on since 1964 and having spent 27 of those years here I can only remember one Hurricane in all 38 years that struck after October 1st. I don't think that I missed any, especially the last 17 years, since I've lived in Ocala. The rest of you Floridians help me out here. Did I miss any? Florida get's a bum rap for hurricanes. I can remember growing up on Lake Erie in Pennsylvania and having snow in early October at least twice in the first 17 years of my life. Not much snow but enough to make the days miserable with the rain and slush that accompianied it off the lake.

Rich

Rich
Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56698 07/15/02 10:10 PM
anniemac Offline
I'll vote YES for cruise and pick south FLORIDA....out of Miami, down to Key West, Loggerhead/Fort Jefferson, a couple of the water based lights you can't see except from the water...catch Key Biscayne (no indians but a beautiful site)...I'd be excited. I guess October might not be a good month - Hurricane season and all, but??
Anne

Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56699 07/16/02 12:18 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
IMHO.... I would prefer that the reunion be on land, not sea...however, if a cruise is offered, the only one I would take would be the Alaska one.
Ruthie

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56700 07/18/02 04:31 PM
ktamlin Offline
A cruise would be great. Count Karen and I in. We could get a flotilla of pleasure boats and cruise Lake Michigan.

John & Karen
Re: Reunion Cruise??? #56701 07/18/02 05:08 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Discussion to be continued in Reunion Cruise Part II

Moderated by  Bob M 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,055 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users