cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Phoenix #56106 09/27/00 08:33 PM
Art Offline OP
OP Offline
The title does not refer to a venue suggestion for the Fourth Reunion (sorry John). It refers to the legend of the phoenix bird.

From the ashes of this controversial Reunion 2001 registration process should arise a better way for the Fourth Reunion. Let's turn our energies here toward the positive and the constructive.

This is not the place to debate the 2001 Reunion registration process. We already have that territory staked out in another thread. Please go visit that other thread if you'd like to vent.

An idea that I have expressed before (and I have heard others echo this recently) deserves, imo, further consideration. Especially considering all the ruffled feathers we have over this year's process:

Do away completely and forever with the phone-in registration. Have a preset period of time (a couple of weeks? a month?) where any interested party could submit an application form, complete with downpayment (credit card information, etc.). At the end of the period, decide who gets what edition number Reunion piece by lottery. If there are applications in excess of space available, decide who gets to go by means of the same lottery. After the lottery is held, notify applicants of their status by mail or e-mail.
Want this to be squeeky clean and above-board? Have the applications sent to a third party and sealed at the deadline. Then hold the lottery in public at the Navy Pier event in Chicago or in Atlanta. To me, a random selection process is the definition of fair. Only someone receiving or expecting preferential treatment can argue with this method (I think).

Any other ideas?

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Phoenix #56107 09/28/00 07:52 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hey Art, ... Do you ever get the feeling that maybe some of the people may be jockeying for low number reunion HLs and not just a reunion reservation? If my memory serves me correctly, the reunion pieces are assigned in the order the phone calls come in. I think the Youngers keep the first 10 so caller #1 actually would get reunion piece #11. It is a belief that lower number HL's are worth more. I guess they do bring more dollars than the higher number pieces if your intention is to sell your piece. I know if all my HL's were a particular number, it would be really nice to be able to get the same number on my reunion piece.

Maybe for future reunions, participants could list their reserved HL number and be given first preference on getting a reunion piece with that number.

Until a reunion is held where hundreds of people have to be turned away and cannot attend, I don't think we really need to encourage the Youngers to change the way they do things.

Bob

Re: Phoenix #56108 09/28/00 11:45 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob,

I can't speak for anyone else on your question, but I can say that the number of the Reunion piece never entered my mind. I was not even sure how that was determined until just now from your post.

I agree with your concept to a certain extent. "If it ain't broke , then don't fix it". But, sometimes you have to be proactive, not reactive.

Why wait until the negative has happened and there are more people than spaces and nothing can be done about it.

I think the idea proposed by Art is a great way to deal with a possible problem. It guarantees fairness to all, and if there are not more spaces than people it falls into the category of no harm, no foul.

Leaving it at the staus quo guarantees that eventually there will be a time that some will not make it and it should not be decided by actions beyond your control.

No system is infallible or perfectly fair to all involved. I'd just want everyone who wants to be there to have an equal shot of doing so.

I admit to being a radical. You could even use the "L" word to describe me. I do tend to speak my mind, but I want to make sure that everyone understands none of my comments should be taken to be a personal attack on anyone. I'm just expressing what I think. I'll abide by any rules set forth, just make them known to all.

Dennis

[This message has been edited by wheland (edited 09-28-2000).]

Re: Phoenix #56109 09/28/00 08:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bob, The Younger's did not keep the first 10 of the reunion pieces they went to the first 10 people registered, I belive at least one collector right here in the forums has or had a single digit piece or pieces.

Re: Phoenix #56110 09/28/00 08:46 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Your correct Mark. The owner of New Point Loma #1 and #2 lives right here in the San Diego area and are members of the SCHLCC.

Re: Phoenix #56111 09/29/00 12:46 AM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
How about no numbers on the Reunion pieces? There's a finite number of them and that number can be publicized after the registration is closed. Attendees will know that they one of 'x' number of pieces produced.

Just a thought, but I like it.

Rick

Re: Phoenix #56112 09/29/00 02:06 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
It works on other pieces. it would eliminate one problem

You would still have one of a very limited edition.

Dennis

Re: Phoenix #56113 09/29/00 03:23 AM
Art Offline OP
OP Offline
I like that idea too, Rick. Then the lottery would only be required if applicants exceed spaces available.

------------------
-Art

-Art

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,252 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users