Print Thread
The next Reunion #56091 03/11/99 10:47 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
The next reunion should be on the Internet.

Rgds,
Wintermute (just fluffing this languishing forum)

Re: The next Reunion #56092 03/12/99 12:03 AM
D
Dale Baird Offline
D
Virginia Beach would be a great spot for the next reunion (i.e. plenty of hotel rooms, etc.). A one-day excursion could cover Hatteras and other NC lighthouses, another could include the Chesapeake Bay lights, and, of course, Cape Henry and Assateague would be nearby (Assateague could actually be including on the Bay tour since it is on the Eastern shore). Also, the Coast Guard Lighthouse (I think that's the name) is located, along with a museum and gift shop), in the heart of the hotel strip in Virginia Beach. Bill, just think, we could change Virginia's trademark slogan to "Virginia is for Lover's of Harbour Lights!"

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dale Baird (edited 03-11-99).]

Dale
Re: The next Reunion #56093 03/16/99 11:35 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I think it's looking more and more like the next Collectors Reunion will be 2001 or 2002. From what I know, not much is yet going on in the planning area, including no decision on location yet.

John

Re: The next Reunion #56094 03/16/99 10:16 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Given the increasing number of Society Members perhaps Regional Conventions would be viable. That way perhaps no one who wanted to attend would be shut out. There could also be a National event in a year when there are no Regionals. Just a thought.

Re: The next Reunion #56095 03/17/99 12:09 AM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
Whenever, whereever, whatever, however, whoever.
Let the fun begin!

[This message has been edited by FredKuhl (edited 03-16-99).]

Re: The next Reunion #56096 03/18/99 01:47 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Would be happy to host a Mini-Reunion at my place in the summer. Mini lodging (bring sleeping bags/shared bath), mini refreshments (hot dogs/hamburgs on the grill), mini tour of Selkirk lighthouse and other Lake Ontario/St.Lawrence River lights. Sign up here!

Re: The next Reunion #56097 03/18/99 11:11 PM
S
sidd Offline
S
I agree with Mombo

quote:
----------------------------------------
Given the increasing number of Society
Members perhaps Regional Conventions
would be viable. That way perhaps no one
who wanted to attend would be shut out.
----------------------------------------

I agree with regarding having regionals and but let's not forget a national per year. I know this was brought up with the chat last night with Kim and the work and headaches it would create---but as upper management says...Delegate, delegate, delegate. Other national clubs do the same thing, ie camping groups and squaredancing groups. Volunteers from a club in that area would work as the planning committee and volunteers (even if not club members could voluteer to help with the arrangements. Of course everything would have to go thru the society. A possible chain of command would be:

the Society
Planning Chairperson
|
Regional Club Committee
| | | |
| | Accommadatns | Registration | | | Entertainmt
Tours

I think at least one should be tried because I know it would work due to the enthusiasum of those who could not travel cross country.
Call me a dreamer but it's worth a try. Then we would know the viability of the idea.
We could start with a survey to everyone with 1. I would attent a regional reunion ___% sure.
2. I would agree to help make the arrangements Yes____ No____
3. I would be willing to help by:
4. I would be willing to travel____miles to get to the regional.

Let's hear some input-pros and cons.

To permit the centering of part of this message...

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 03-18-99).]

Sidd
Re: The next Reunion #56098 03/18/99 11:15 PM
S
sidd Offline
S
P.S. that mess up there is to be a chain of command. I didn't realize that the posting would not reproduce it as it was typed. Sorry.

Sidd
Re: The next Reunion #56099 03/19/99 01:51 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Sidd, the Regionals would be nice, but terribly difficult to arrange. Sean makes very valid points. There are lots of places, even in Syracuse, that have a wide range of hotels in varying price ranges, that are close to each other. You could always come to my mini, you're not too far away! And we could only invite people who can't figure out how to do those fancy signtures?

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 03-18-99).]

Re: The next Reunion #56100 03/19/99 02:19 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
The main reason for me going to the next reunion is to see Hal, Bob, Fred, Ron, Rod, Betty, Ken, John, Warren, Mark, Tim, Jim, Jim, Sara, Mike, Nancy, Sean, Lorraine, Rick, Jim, Todd, Bruce, Rick "etc, etc, etc." as Yul would say. I want to get together with all my new found friends from all parts of the USA, not just from my region. I can cover my region by going to a signing in my area or to a club meeting nearby.
The best thing about the reunion is that it has been collectors from all over the USA getting together and sharing their love for lighthouses and Harbour Lights lighthouses. Like someone said just recently" Don't fix it if it isn't broke."
My wife, Sue and I both put the two reunions near or at the top of all of our trips and adventures. We have memories and new friends for the rest of our lives. If they had been regional reunions, we wouldn't have got to know several of these really neat people.
Lastly, we went to the West Coast and then to the East Coast and next it's time they came to the Great Lakes and experience our lighthouses here in the Midwest.

engbrady

PS the names are in no order and I would have been typing for an hour to list everybody, besides I disavow any knowledge of this list from this day forward. As the theme from Mission Impossible plays, we fade this post to black............

WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 03-19-99).]

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: The next Reunion #56101 03/19/99 10:50 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I agree with Paul.
Although I have never had the priviledge of attending a REUNION, I have read all that I could about the first two, and realize that this is quite an EVENT! (Mike Richards has a great review of the first reunion http://members.aol.com/hrbrlights/reunion.htm .
I too look foward to meeting the entire cast of characters from this FORUM as well as others I've met through the Internet, who are from all over the USA.
I think some of the better collectors' clubs are fulfilling the regional meeting need. Check out the New England Harbour Lights Club - http://www.lighthouse.cc/neharbourlights/ - I only wish that BY was able to address the attendees at the June outing.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: The next Reunion #56102 03/19/99 02:41 PM
LamarB Offline
I've attended both Reunions and loved it. I hope to be able to make the next one, too.

In the last chat I expressed interest in the idea of regionals. But, after serious consideration and reading the posts above (especially Sean's) I'm opposed to regionals. It would be very difficult to improve upon the Reunion concept as it is now.

I do like the idea of HL setting up the Reunion but getting out of the hotel room business, allowing each attendee to arrange their own hotel/motel accomodations. I also attend an international convention held every 5 years by another organization not lighthouse related. This group makes special room rate arrangements with many hotels in the host city through the convention and visitors bureau then publishes the list to registrants. Maybe HL could try this.

------------------
Keepin' the flame

Re: The next Reunion #56103 03/19/99 07:16 PM
RFoster Offline
Mary Jane and I are hoping for several things for the next reunion:

1) It is in the Great Lakes Region (we have never been to this part of the country).

2) There will be room for everyone who wishes to attend.

3) It incorporates (a.) the family get together atmosphere (like San Diego in '97) with plenty of time for enjoying each others company and hands on seminars, etc. as well as (b.) the tours of real lighthouses by land and sea (like Providence in '98).

4) It lasts longer than a weekend (four days would be nice).

5) It is not held until the year 2001 at the earliest.

Ron

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: The next Reunion #56104 03/19/99 08:53 PM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
Paul (ENGBrady aka WackoPaul)

You expressed my sentiments exactly.
Replace Fred with Paul on your list.
Add Bill, Nancy, Kim, Maureen, etc. etc. etc.

The best part of waking up is...........
knowing you're surrounded by friends (family)
Oh yes! and Folgers in your cup.
THERE IS NO LIFE BEFORE COFFEE

Fred (FredWacko aka The Ancient Mariner)

Re: The next Reunion #56105 03/19/99 09:50 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great Lakes!!!!!!! Mackinaw Area!!!!! Anywhere in Michigan!!!!! I'm easy to please as long as there is a cemetery nearby!

DIGGER

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,415 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users