Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pin Trading #56059 09/26/00 12:07 PM
Lorie Roe Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
This may seem a little presumptious but obviously I am hoping to be one to attend the 2001 Reunion. Anyway, after watching the Sydney Olympics I thought it would be fun to bring some pins from the 2002 Winter Olympics that will be held in Salt Lake City to give to my HL forum friends. I thought if others wanted to bring pins from their hometown areas that we could have fun trading pins. Some of you might have lighthouse pins, or any other pin that might represent where you live.

My daughter attended a national high school competition where kids from all across the country participated. They had so much fun pin trading and came home with pins from different friends that they met. She had a lot of SLC Olympic pins and they were gone fast.

Re: Pin Trading #56060 09/26/00 09:33 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
This sounds like a great idea. If I get there I'll bring along some NJ Lightouse Society and Sandy Hook pins.

Maybe we should do something like have each person who is bringing pins donate one of each they have brought and we can have a raffle to raise money for the winner's choice of lighthouse preservation fund.

They win the pins, and decide where the money goes. Or some similar concept. I'd be game for it if I get to the reunion.

Dennis

Re: Pin Trading #56061 09/27/00 03:34 AM
TD Offline
Sounds like a good idea to me. Does anyone have a good way to display lighthouse pins. The obvious is in a hat. If you have a pretty good collection your hat will weigh a ton. Some sort of a wall frame that could open up would be interesting. That way you could keep adding in the pins. Some of these pins are pretty expensive not to display. Any ideas or suggestions?

Re: Pin Trading #56062 09/27/00 03:43 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
You might try attaching them to a wide, sturdy ribbon (I think it's called gross grain). The ribbon could be mounted in a shadow box frame or carefully attached inside your curio. In the curio it could run down the center of the back mirror or two could serve as accents down each back corner.

Re: Pin Trading #56063 09/27/00 11:59 AM
Lorie Roe Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Dennis- I like your idea of everyone donating a pin for a raffle for lighthouse charity. We could have a nice collection of pins for the raffle winner.

TD- I had a frame shop make a frame for me for my pins. They took suede mat board and put a 1" border of foamboard on the back. They then put a solid layer of foamboard over the the back side of the mat board with the foamboard border. This created a hollow area so that you can push your pins on front of the suede board and have a hollow area behind for the back of the pin. The over all size is 16 X 20. I hope this makes any sense!

Re: Pin Trading #56064 09/27/00 05:31 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline
L
I like your ideas on pin trading and especially using pins for a charity raffle to go to a needy lighthouse.

Back this spring I put a posting out (can't remember which thread) on how to display your HL tin buttons and the wacko pins or other lighthouse pins. At Christmas it is possible to buy at a florist the needed wider velvet ribbon (4" to accommodate the tin buttons). I have put such a ribbon from ceiling to floor, weighted the bottom so it hangs straight, wrapped a layer of ribbon at the top over a small piece of wood and attached a fancy picture hanger, and it becomes a side boundary on my wall of my collection of Mark Sherman prints and shelves with the smaller HL pieces. Easy and cheap to do for those who don't have glass curios cabinets or have lots of pins to display.

I also have the deep set frames, which are used a lot for putting nostalgia items under glass to remember you ancestors. They are probably an inch deep. I bought some at Walmart in various sizes. And have also seen them at Michael's Craft chain on the East Coast. I am sure most big craft stores would have them in their frame department. That might be faster or cheaper than having custom frames made for your pins.

If clubs get to have a room at the Baltimore Reunion (please read my new post on the Collector Clubs News Forum), a display of these various ways to display lighthouse pins would add a bright decor to the room. Or maybe HL would arrange for a table for members to show such display methods and any other crafts or handwork that contain a lighthouse as the subject matter. I know the ladies at the huge annual 3000 attendee Model Railroad Convention always have beautiful handmade objects showing a train that they put on display.

Hope this gives you some help or ideas.

Barbara

------------------
ladylightkeeper

ladylightkeeper
Re: Pin Trading #56065 09/28/00 03:13 PM
Lorie Roe Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I would be happy to have a pin board frame made up and bring it to the reunion.(hopefully it would fit in my suitcase) I would donate one of my pins to put on the board and could collect pins from any one else interested in donating a pin for the lighthouse raffle. This board could be put on display for everyone to see which pins would be added on to it. I would hope by the last day we could have a nice collection of pins to generate a good raffle drawing. The winner could be drawn out on the Sunday morning breakfast. (like what was done at Providence HL Reunion)

Re: Pin Trading #56066 10/01/00 11:54 PM
L
lighthouse nut Offline
L
This is a wonderful idea! I traded pins with lots of folks at the Atlanta Olympics and had a blast. Do you prefer we bring pins from lighthouses our home state or just a couple from places we have visited?
Looking forward to seeing new folks once I am registered for the reunion.
Thanks also for the great ideas of framing pins. I have lots of pins that need a permanent home and these all sound like wonderful ideas!

Re: Pin Trading #56067 10/03/00 05:22 PM
Lorie Roe Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Welcome to the forums lighthouse nut! In answer to your question, I don't think it matters what pins you might bring to trade. If you live where a lighthouse pin would be available then that could be traded. Since I don't live around any close lighthouses, I am bringing Salt Lake Olympic 2002 pins. I think it would be fun to bring pins representing your home state area whether you have lighthouses or something else.

I have my olympic pins bought...now just to get through on the telephone lines! 11 days to the countdown.

Re: Pin Trading #56068 10/03/00 11:12 PM
T
TERRY BARFIELD Offline
T
Hi Lighthouse Nut,from a "homey".I too live in Concord and think you will love the Forum.

Terry

Re: Pin Trading #56069 10/05/00 01:09 AM
T
TGIFIF Offline
T
I will be looking for pins of some local lights. Can't wait to meet some of ya'll

Re: Pin Trading #56070 10/23/00 09:50 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I want to keep this idea going! I have a lighthouse pin collection and would love to buy or trade pins at the reunion. I will be bringing my extras, so please bring yours!
(I have none from the West Coast)

I have mine in a flat display case that is about 2' square. It has a sponge insert with red felt on top of the sponge. When the case is closed, the pins press against the glass to keep them in place. It's made by a small company in Kentucky. They have different size cases and they are about 2" deep. If anyone is interested in this kind of setup, I can get the phone number. They do ship!

Re: Pin Trading #56071 10/24/00 01:08 AM
LADYBUG Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Randy, I will be happy to exchange a Mukilteo (WA) pin with you at the reunion so you can be assured of one west coast pin. Darlene

Re: Pin Trading #56072 10/24/00 09:48 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Exchanging LH pins a the Reunion is a great idea and activity. I'm checking out how I can get some multiple of my local LHs.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Pin Trading #56073 10/24/00 12:44 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I picked up a pin at each of the NJ lighthouses that has one on Lighthouse 2000 Weekend. I'll be bringing them along.

I'm going to get some more to trade and try and get ones from lights i've been to, but did not get the pin.

Dennis

Re: Pin Trading #56074 11/07/00 08:11 PM
anniemac Offline
This sounds like fun! I've been collecting pins (lighthouse and others) for a long time - Olympic wise, I have one from the 1996 Atlanta games - of the Atlanta LIGHTHOUSE! It's the only one I've seen, and us "landlubbers" don't have a real lighthouse, but it's cute (very faux!). I started displaying them on my camera bag, but after filling up the case twice, and having a couple fall off, I went to a jacket for display and put a dollop of super glue on the post.

Re: Pin Trading #56075 12/05/00 08:27 PM
T
TGIFIF Offline
T
When it gets closer to time, will someone make announcement as to how we can all meet somwhere to donate pins & swap pins?

Re: Pin Trading #56076 12/24/00 03:25 AM
JoAnn Offline
Looking forward to meeting you all and trading,bringing Wa.& Or. pins.

Re: Pin Trading #56077 01/05/01 05:07 AM
J
Jo Ann/Texas Offline
J
We don't have lighthouses but we have the Alamo. I will bring pins also.

------------------
Jo Ann/Texas

Jo Ann/Texas
Re: Pin Trading #56078 01/05/01 11:03 PM
T
TGIFIF Offline
T
Jo Ann, where is Cibolo? I am planning on visiting some of your lighthouses in May when I go to San Antino for kids graduation. I here Tx has 7, but I have not been able to locate them all yet.

TGIFIF (where we are frezzing at 51F)

Re: Pin Trading #56079 01/09/01 03:03 AM
J
Jo Ann/Texas Offline
J
Cibolo is on I 35 north of San Antonio. You really don't know when you leave SA. I have not been to all seven lighthouses in TX. 1. Port Isabel is open to the public located on Hwy.100 near South Padre. The others are not open.
2. Matagorda Bay - Halfmoon Reef at Port Lavaca.
3. Port Aransas - owned by Charles Butt owen HEB -grocery store chain
4. Sabine Pass is between Lousinia and Texas. There are two in that area. The other one 5. is Sabine Bank Light. 16 miles offshore - Sabine Pass
6. Bolivar Point - owened by the Boyt family - located at Galviston.
7. Galveston South Jetty - to be removed soon
8. Corpus Christic's lighthouse is a restraunt now.

At one time there were over two dozen lights.

If I can be of more help, let me know.

------------------
Jo Ann/Texas

Jo Ann/Texas

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,305 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users