Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Should HL Pre-sell the Next Reunion? #55653 10/25/99 09:06 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I imagine a few of the folks at Harbour Lights read the information on the CF. I would like to know your feelings on "pre-selling" the reunion. Please leave your thoughts on the following questions:

Should HL take a poll to see exactly how many people will commit to attending the next reunion?

Should that poll contain a choice of locations or should HL make that decision prior to the poll?

Should the HL Collector's Society be given first refusals on reunion reservations?

Should folks who have attended previous reunions be given any special treatment?

How many tickets should be made available for the next reunion?

Should people be allowed to bring their children to the next reunion?

That's enough questions for now. Here are my replies:

HL should take a poll so that they will have a "ballpark figure" on how many people will attend.

I think the location should be chosen by the folks from HL. That decision is theirs.

I believe the HL Collector's Society should have first refusals on reunion tickets.

People who have attended one or both reunions should have first choice at tickets.

I would say at least 1000 tickets but no more than 1500 tickets.

Harbour Lights is a family business so collectors attending the reunion should be allowed to bring their family if they so desire and are lucky enough to secure that many tickets.

Lets hear from you on your thoughts regarding the above questions.

Bob

Re: Should HL Pre-sell the Next Reunion? #55654 10/25/99 09:35 PM
drwhok9 Offline
My responses -

Straw Poll - Yes

Choice of locations - Yes

First refusal - ?? (probably the only people interested in a reunion are already members of the Collector's Society)

Previous attendees special treatment - No

Number of tickets - Open, as many as needed

Children - YES!! (Friends, SO's, IO's, Relatives, etc. also. Some of us are not married and may wish to travel with someone.)

This should be a fun thread to read.

------------------
Jim

Dr. Who ?

[This message has been edited by drwhok9 (edited 10-25-99).]

Jim
Dr. Who ?
Re: Should HL Pre-sell the Next Reunion? #55655 10/25/99 11:05 PM
A
AlanBeckman Offline
A
Straw Poll - Yes

Location - Let HL choose - they're paying for it.

First Refusal - Yes

Previous attendees get special treatment - No - give someone else a chance.

Tickets - As many as can be accomodated at the chosen facilities.

Children - Yes

Re: Should HL Pre-sell the Next Reunion? #55656 10/26/99 12:04 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I think it would be very helpful to HL to take a straw poll on possible numbers for attendance.

I like the idea of selecting your top 3 choices for location. They could then be tallied up(with HL approval of choices)and have a final vote.

I think HL collector's society members should have first choice.

Those that have attended previous reunions should also be included in the first choice.

Somewhere around 1000 people would seem enough.

Even though I have children of my own, I would like this to be more of an adult reunion. Maybe there could be some age
cut-off(12,16,18?) I take my kids on lots of vacations but I like the reunion to be my special time for being spoiled without worrying about my kids!

Re: Should HL Pre-sell the Next Reunion? #55657 10/26/99 01:16 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
I don't think a poll will really help much. EVERYONE will say yes...until an exact location, exact date, and exact cost is released. Many who initially said yes would inevitably back out due to the location not being satisfactory, prior committments on those particular dates, or too expensive, etc. How ever many HL could logistically handle would be the critical number. I'm sure as many as they could allow will show up.

HL's choice of location. I think they are receiving plenty of feedback on the favorite locations already.

Society member's first refusal would be OK. I imagine almost all previous reunion attendies were members already though.

Being a previous attendie, I would love to have registration priority. But a free-for-all phone reservation like last year is as fair as it gets. No quotas for me.

Less than 1000 would be my preference (600-800), even if that means I may not make the list. A family gathering is much nicer than a mob gathering. I'm sure I would make a future one eventually, and would hold no grudges, etc. (envy maybe. LOL)

No problem with children attendies. Even though there were quite a few at Providence, I really don't recall seeing many. It is an HL "family" gathering anyways.

Rod Watson
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 10-26-99).]

Re: Should HL Pre-sell the Next Reunion? #55658 10/26/99 01:48 AM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Should HL take a poll to see exactly how many people will commit to attending the next
reunion? and Should that poll contain a choice of locations or should HL make that decision prior to the poll? I think that you have the cart in front of the horse Bob. Seems like HL should ask "If we have the reunion in XXXXX, will you attend.-YES

Should the HL Collector's Society be given first refusals on reunion reservations?
As Rod points out, I think that you were suppose to be a member to attend before since it was announced in a Legacy. Since the website, I think that most of the people here had more up to date information, but I still think that most people who attended were members.-YES

Should folks who have attended previous reunions be given any special treatment? No, I think a phone in lottery is the fairest way to determine a cut off, if one is necessary.

How many tickets should be made available for the next reunion?-I would like to see everyone who would like to go get to attend.
If you can solve the place where everyone can eat together, then everything else can be repeated in smaller groups.

Should people be allowed to bring their children to the next reunion?-YES, this is the Harbour Lights family.
Jim
Johnson

Re: Should HL Pre-sell the Next Reunion? #55659 10/26/99 10:20 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
HL should announce date, time and location as soon as possible. Any choice by us sounds nice but is not realistic.
WACKOS should get first choice(I wish)!
If it was done like the Fan Fest at baseball all star games unlimited day tickets could be available for everyone. Rotate events so everyone could attend all.
Dinner only for adults. Kids don't want to be there anyway and can't stay up that late. Exceptions for kid collectors(Collector Society members) like Stephen!
Do it in a location where adjoining hotels make it easy for a feeling of being there even if you're not in 'the' main convention hotel.
Finally make it a location where a pre or post vacation option will make the transportation costs seem more reasonable.
Seeing lighthouses is a key part of the reunion, so make it an area so we can see lots and lots.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Should HL Pre-sell the Next Reunion? #55660 10/26/99 06:17 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I hate giving "me to" answers with no back up of my opinion, but in this case, if I typed out my responses, you would be reading the same information verbatim from above.

Sean, you have spoken eloquently and stated your case well. I agree with you 100%

So, my answers to the questions are Sean's answers. Thanks Sean!

-Todd

Re: Should HL Pre-sell the Next Reunion? #55661 10/26/99 07:00 PM
LamarB Offline
I don't mind being a "me too'er" when it's appropriate. I agree with Sean, too.

Re: Should HL Pre-sell the Next Reunion? #55662 10/26/99 08:27 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Lamar, you should have been a "Me Three'er", which would make me a "Me Four'er". Sean summed it up very well!

Saint WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Should HL Pre-sell the Next Reunion? #55663 10/27/99 03:09 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Looks to me like Sean has it covered. We made
the Providence reunion and hope we get lucky and land spots for the next one. Make me a five'er.

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: Should HL Pre-sell the Next Reunion? #55664 10/27/99 10:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sean has my heartfelt Amen to his response.

Derith

Re: Should HL Pre-sell the Next Reunion? #55665 10/27/99 11:44 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Well said, Sean!!

Re: Should HL Pre-sell the Next Reunion? #55666 10/28/99 12:50 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I hate to seem like I'm jumping on a bandwagon, but I agree with Sean's ideas. I am with this post also joining the "Wacko" bandwagon. All I have to say is that I'm joining a great company of people who usually live up to the name Wacko. Dennis

Re: Should HL Pre-sell the Next Reunion? #55667 11/12/99 03:07 AM
J
jimirwin Offline
J
After reading Sean's text, I find myself wondering why anything should be changed for the next reunion.I would even go back to Providence, because you cannot improve on perfection, and that is what most of the last reunion was, outside of a glich or two caused by the hotel. We can suggest sites for the next reunion, however, I, myself, would leave it up to the folks at HL. after all, they are more than qualified. I just wish they would do one soon, I need a HL hug.

------------------
JIM "POPZ" IRWIN

JIM "POPZ" IRWIN
Re: Should HL Pre-sell the Next Reunion? #55668 12/03/99 04:27 PM
D
DonnaJLM Offline
D
I'd like to put in a plea for a different method of registration. Last reunion I called, got the message that the reunion was "cancelled" (from the guy that the 800 number rolled over to), and then I got called into work. By the time I called in again, the reunion quota was filled. I'd prefer an advance email and snail mail registration, with HL then drawing names for reunion piece numbers, or for meeting an attendance cutoff if necessary.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,420 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users