Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
WHERE should it be? #55437 10/31/98 09:32 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Having had reunions now on the California (South) Coast, and the NE Atlantic Shore, The Great Lakes are being pushed as a logical third choice.

But there's also the Middle Atlantic (NJ to NC) The Southern Atlantic (SC to Key West), the Gulf Coast (Key West to Texas) and the Northwest (San Francisco to the Canadian border).

I'm from the Great Lakes area originally, and I'd like to go back, but when you look at the criteria for a location to hold a 500-700 person Reunion Event, there's not a lot of places outside of Chicago and Detroit.

Hotel with 250-300 rooms available to one convention (meaning 300-400 rooms total.) (Maybe with an Atrium like Embassy Suites had should be required.)

Lighthouses within an hour's drive. A harbor cruise type vessel to accomodate 350-700?

Good airline traffic (major airlines jets.)

On the Great Lakes, outside of Chicago and Detroit, which of these cities might fill that list? (I don't know)

Milwaukee? Green Bay? Traverse City? Holland/Grand Rapids? Buffalo/Niagara Falls? Rochester? Cleveland? Toledo?

There has also been mentioned that a cruise ship operates on the Great Lakes. Any info on that on line? If that's an option, it would have to make a round trip from somewhere to somewhere and back or provide return ground transportation. Assuming the Reunion were a long weekend, You couldn't cruise from, say Cleveland to Chicago and back (or even one way.) But maybe the ship just is based somewhere and only takes a one day cruise out and back?

That's just for the Great Lakes.

Personally, I favor Baltimore. It easily meets all the criteria. Then again, San Francisco does too. Or maybe Seattle? Vancouver Canada? Jacksonville FL? New Orleans? South Padre Island TX?

Re: WHERE should it be? #55438 10/31/98 07:36 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Heck - lets just rent Mackinac Island for the weekend. Seriously - there are plenty of hotels in the area and a v. big one on the Island itself. Many many many lights to see. And they should have the 'National Lighthouse Museum' open (the one in Old Mackinac) in time for the next Reunion. Don't know if there is an airfield at Sault St. Marie - but if so its a quick drive to the south coast.

The GLLKA people have their annual fest not too far away - I suspect they have as many as an HL convention. Should be fesible.

Upper Michigan and the UP area should be at lot less expensive than the East Coast. Like cheap Japanese stereo equipment - we want more lights per dollar!

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: WHERE should it be? #55439 11/01/98 11:50 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Great Lakes:
Mackinac Island: The island or city would make a great choice if feasible (hotels, etc). More lights than can possibly be visited in a weeks time within easy travel distance from land or water, so you couldn't argue that. Mackinaw City is a fun place to spend some time at also. There are plenty of hotels in the area, would just have to spread people out a bit. How many horses does it take to haul around a Harbour Lights Reunion?
My #1 Great Lakes vote

Niagara Falls: Who could really complain with that choice. More things within 10 miles to do than could possibly be accomplished. Beyond Niagara itself, you could picnic at Fort Niagara, visit Buffalo area or Lake Ontario lights. Maybe a bus tour of the Canadian lights of Lake Erie?
My #2 vote

Great Lakes cruise: very interesting concept. Don't know the details, but if a ship is large enough that could be very interesting.
My #3 vote

Atlantic Coast:
Baltimore: I agree with everyone that this would be the best location if the east coast is chosen. As long as Art Modell is not within slapping distance, I would have alot of fun.
My #1 Atlantic Coast vote

Miami: As long as it is mid October or later (after hurricane season) this would be a great location also. A cruise boat all the way around the keys from Cape Florida up to Sanibel Island? I guess that could be Atlantic and Gulf Coast all in one. Fred could *really* catch a big fish on this one!
My #2 vote

-RodW

[This message has been edited by Rod Watson.]

Re: WHERE should it be? #55440 11/01/98 12:14 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would without a doubt have to vote for The Great Lakes as the site of the next reunion. Preferably the Mackinaw City/Island area. I think the lodging details could be worked out to make everyone happy, besides, John picked up his first HL in Mackinaw City. You can get more appropriate than that, right John?

Re: WHERE should it be? #55441 11/01/98 10:16 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Well, Todd, there is some sentimentality to Monodocks Gifts in Mackinaw City. If the museum is ready that would be good, and we could rent some of Shepler's high speed boats that ply between the Island and the LP and UP all summer to zoom around the upper lakes.

White Shoal, Round Island, Spectacle Reef.

But really, there's not much in the way of good flights into the area. Traverse City is the nearest commercial airport that I know of and that's one of those never-cheap-to-fly-anywhere cities.

And while a lot of new hotels have been put up in Mackinaw City, the island would be hard pressed to handle 300-350 rooms - and these are mostly new Days Inns, Clarions, etc. As for the island, the best hotels have families who return year-after-year at the same time. I don't think you could get a block of rooms from any of them. Now as for a regional location, Traverse City or Mackinaw City would work great. Rent the boats, see the lights, eat some fudge.

Pre- and post-reunion tour opportunities. Down either the East or West coasts of Michigan's UP and another into the Upper to hit the Soo Locks, Whitefish point, Big Bay, etc. Maybe even get the Coast Guard to bring the Cutter Mackinaw into the area for a tour.

Might even work out something like a fly into Grand Rapids and motor coach it to the Reunion, then fly out of Traverse.

But I don't see how we could arrange for 700+ people.

Re: WHERE should it be? #55442 11/01/98 11:31 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
700 people - so how many rooms are we talking about? I seem to recall the RI arrangements called for double occupancy. For now, lets say 300 rooms.

(Wonder if there'd be 700 people? How many at RI lived w/in 100 miles of Providence? Is this a factor?)

As for reservations, lets presume we're looking at the year 2000 at the earliest. Should be enough time to work out arrangements. There may even be hotels under construction that'll be ready in two years.

As for those families who return year after year to the Mackinac/Mackinaw area - how much of a factor is that if the Reunion was held well after school started? The hotel on the Island itself has 236 rooms. Sure you won't get all of those, but if you get 150, thats half of what is needed. The other 150 in Mackinaw City.

It wouldn't surprise me if Traverse City could easily handle 300 rooms in early October. Its a resort area - there's a lot of hotels and several are quite ritzy. (Remember - ritzy up here may have a different meaning than the East Coast )

Let's look at this as a challenge not an impossibility. Sure there's the need for some different logistics, but we can solve this one. Is anybody a travel agent or have one in the family?

The biggest obstacle might be finding a ball room or restaurant or the like big enough for everyone to eat together.

Instead of a lobster dinner the local area folks will probably want Walleye - and I'm sure we can find some stuffed rodents for our southwestern friends. (g,d&r) And there are lots and lots of great lighthouses for all!

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: WHERE should it be? #55443 11/01/98 11:48 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
JC - I just re-read your post with the mention of Green Bay. That's another real possibility. Plenty big enough airport.

My quickie check on the web shows a Regency Suites in GB with 223 rooms. 8 meeting rooms w/ a total capacity of 2600. There's also a Radisson and 2 Holiday Inns each with 120+ capacity. Many others I didn't check.

Door County encompasses the south side of the Bay - lots of great lighthousing and other touristy attractions in the Door area.

Just need to pick a weekend when the Packers have an away game.

Rgds,
__
/im

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA.]

Re: WHERE should it be? #55444 11/02/98 01:32 PM
Art Offline
I think the UP would be great. I don't care if we're all in the same hotel or not. But I would prefer we do it in the summer (July?). I hear that in the UP, they are blessed with four seasons. Summer is in July. The rest are winter.

-Art
Re: WHERE should it be? #55445 11/02/98 02:06 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
I hear that in the UP, they are blessed with four seasons. Summer is in July. The rest are winter.

I'd heard similar of Green Bay:

11 Months of good sledding, one month of bad.

John

Re: WHERE should it be? #55446 11/02/98 02:10 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm really excited about the consideration for Mackinaw as a possible location for the next reunion. This is my first year with HL's, and to think that my first reunion might be as close as a short 4 hr. drive. As many know, the area has no shortage of hotels, restaurants, attractions, museums, and of course the many lighthouses and don't forget all the gift shops that sell HL's. The area is well accustomed to handling large amounts of people (maybe not at one location, but overall) and it seems that boat transportation shouldn't be an obstacle. The beautiful surroundings and being far away from the big city hustle would appeal to everyone.

Re: WHERE should it be? #55447 11/02/98 02:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I camped in Brimley state Park in between the Soo Locks and WhiteFish Bay Light in July about 8 summers ago - the temperature droped down to 35 degrees both nights !!............. July the warm month hmm, I am not sure about that.

And also Mackinaw Island has a small air strip, bring your own Cessna or Lear jet. the air strip is on top of the island - easy to get your luggage to the hotel (all down hill) but getting it all back to the top of the island may require a pack mule

(41)

[This message has been edited by Mark Wagner.]

Re: WHERE should it be? #55448 11/02/98 09:46 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>>I'd heard similar of Green Bay<<

Late September, early October is a great time for the Mackinaw area or Green Bay. Pretty similar to New England, though some said it was unseasonably warm during the Reunion.

For the climatologically challenged we have these things you can wear - kinda like heavy shirts but with zippers instead of buttons - locals call 'em 'jackets'. You might want one in the very early morning if you go out to check your havaharts or baste your pumpkins. Beautiful folliage, comfy temps, no OPC problem.

Yep - Fall (or early Spring) are the best times for Wisconsin and Michigan.

Rgds,
__
/im [Travel Tip: for those coming from Illinois - you may be surprised to find we have no toll booths in Wisconsin. Do not be alarmed - every few miles just throw your money on the side of the road. ]

Re: WHERE should it be? #55449 11/04/98 08:03 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Maybe Duluth, Minnesota
Governor Jesse "The Body" Ventura could be our guest speaker now! LOL

-RodW

Re: WHERE should it be? #55450 11/04/98 09:47 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Rod - that conjurs up all kinds of possibilities. He and Bill could wrestle for the Friday evening entertainment.

Rocky

Re: WHERE should it be? #55451 11/04/98 12:45 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
How about
BY and "theBody"
VS
Lightning Rod & StJohn

for HL Heavyweight Championship Lighthouse.
Think of the spin off - LH Figures!!

STBIAF?

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: WHERE should it be? #55452 11/05/98 10:22 AM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I found out some info about the cruise ship plying the Great Lakes (or at least one of them. I don't know if there are more.)

The name of the ship is the C. Columbus. It ran a limited two cruise schedule in '98 with a full schedule to be run starting in '99. The ship itself accomodates 420 passengers, so probably not real feasible, at least with this ship, for a reunion cruise of the Great Lakes.

I'm still searching for more info though.

-Todd

Re: WHERE should it be? #55453 11/05/98 11:35 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Not enough for the Reunion, but great for a pre- or post-reunion cruise.

Board in Cleveland or Chicago, Reunion on Mackinac Island, Bus back to origin?

But a bit more than $60, probably.

Capt'n John [The Love Boat]

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 821 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users