Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Let's tell Kim we are ready for another! #55247 04/11/99 01:12 AM
JJ Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Back on March 17, 1999 Kim Andrews joined the chat and was asked about the next reunion. Parts of the conversation went like this:
JimJohnson Say Kim, now that you are all rested up, let's have another reunion.
KimA O.K. I'm ready, Maureen are you ready?
KimA NO This is Maureen typing can you tell?
Kaiz But we would Love another reunion!!
KimA We can't wait for the next reunion. Had great fun reading all your surveys.

So, why don't we all contact Kim and let her know we are ready too, tell her where we should have the next reunion, how long it should be, and how many of us should attend! For all the newbies, read up on the past two reunions and join us for the next one. I was lucky enough to attend last year, many of the folks here attended both years and we would be glad to answer any questions that you might have.
Jim
Johnson

Re: Let's tell Kim we are ready for another! #55248 04/11/99 09:51 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Jim, ... I'm sure Kim and the folks from HL read what we say in the forum. I totally agree with you on getting some sort of information about the next reunion. After attending the reunion in Providence, I will always want to attend the next one.

The major hurdle for us collectors will be getting a reservation to attend. As we know, everybody can't get a seat. Obviously there are more collectors willing to go than they could possiby accommodate at most locations.

Count me in! Where do I sign? I'm ready!

Bob

Re: Let's tell Kim we are ready for another! #55249 04/11/99 04:21 PM
Art Offline
Kim, I've not yet been to one, so I'm *REALLY* ready!!!

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Let's tell Kim we are ready for another! #55250 04/11/99 06:32 PM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
Kim,

You know there are more people than can possibly attend that are interested. So as far as I'm concerned it can be in Los Vegas (also known as Lost Wages - how many HL dealers there) or Reno (hear tell there's a lighthouse on Lake Tahoe). Hoe many can a cruise ship hold?

The Ancient Mariner, feeling like a 'younger' man again.

Re: Let's tell Kim we are ready for another! #55251 04/11/99 07:41 PM
JJ Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Speaking of cruise ships, there was some prior discussion in this forum about having the next reunion on a cruise ship. Lots of room for everyone who wants to go, a built in boat trip to see lighthouses, and once we start out, no buses to get to the next visit. Maybe we could start out by Fred's house and cruise to Alaska to see the lighthouses that Jenx likes.
Jim
Johnson

Re: Let's tell Kim we are ready for another! #55252 04/11/99 08:03 PM
L
Lighthouse Ghost Offline
L
I like the idea of a cruise for the next reunion!!! I also like the idea of crusing from Fred's neck of the woods to Alaska. The last reunion was great and this next one will be even better and a cruise would be IDEAL!!! After all, we already have our very own "Cruise Directors" to direct and quite a few "Saints" to make sure the "Wackos" and the "Newbies" have a safe voyage!!!

To paraphrase a "Cruise Director": Thats the word from the HEART OF DIXIE where its sunny and warm!!!

Lighthouse Ghost

[This message has been edited by Lighthouse Ghost (edited 04-11-99).]

Re: Let's tell Kim we are ready for another! #55253 04/11/99 08:19 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
From Split Rock to Sunken Rock - the Ultimate Great Lakes Cruise!

__
/im (no buses, beavers, or barbecues)

Re: Let's tell Kim we are ready for another! #55254 04/12/99 01:42 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
I do like the idea of the next reunion being somewhere in the middle of the country. Also like the idea previously aired that HL look to increase number that could attend by not limiting to the capability of one hotel. Honestly, cost scared me off last time around. Willing to spend money, but would like to have more options on things like hotel.

I'm sure that I will get negative feedback from those who want to keep attendance low to increase value of the reunion only items, but more really enthused collectors mean more people out there buying up all 10,000 of each issue! IMVHO

Dave

Re: Let's tell Kim we are ready for another! #55255 04/13/99 11:50 PM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I love the idea of a cruise too, now they are producing cruise ships that can accomadate up to 3,000 I believe. Wouldn't it be great to see the lights from offshore, as well as have the opportunity to go ashore on a lighthouse excursion!!! Not sure if a cruise line would be willing to accomodate so many Wacko's at once though.
I also like the Great Lakes area for the next reunion. Chicago is a cool place and we could easily arrange East and West Lake Michigan Lighthouse tours as well as the Upper Peninsula....maybe even make one of the tours an over-nighter somewhere up near Split Rock.
Another Reunion idea would be Florida in the late fall....around the keys!!
Can't wait for the next Reunion...I sure everyone who wants to go has the opportunity to this next time!!

Kat

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: Let's tell Kim we are ready for another! #55256 04/14/99 02:41 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Sean,

Did they ever catch both of the beaver's cousins out in DC? Thought they caught one of them. Good thing you keep yours on a tight leash - wouldn't want him getting exposed to all those nasty politicians out there!

Dave

Re: Let's tell Kim we are ready for another! #55257 04/14/99 04:48 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
I love the idea of a cruise. For selfish reasons I'd prefer the reunion cruise in summer (children in school).

No matter when, I'd make every effort to attend.

Re: Let's tell Kim we are ready for another! #55258 04/14/99 09:49 AM
Art Offline
Cruise or not, Summer is better for us, too, for the same reason. Summer on the Great Lakes sounds wonderful to me.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Let's tell Kim we are ready for another! #55259 04/14/99 10:42 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
It's just my guess, but I think the next reunion will NOT be held before 2001. We're well into 1999 and if there was going to be a Year 2000 reunion, the planning and reservations would be underway.

The 'Cruise' SOUNDS great, but isn't very practical. Ocean-going cruise ships aren't going to get 'up-close and personal' with lighthouses -- which after all are trying to warn ships away. ["Captain, can you get a bit closer to the Cape Hatteras light? Just pull over there on the beach and we'll all walk."

The cruise would be very expensive on a per-person basis. The liability would be high. There are several 'likely' sites that we've discussed before and a few new possibilities:

1. Baltimore/Chesapeake
2. Traverse City MI
3. Green Bay WI
4. San Francisco CA
5. New York, NY (in time for the opening of the US Lighthouse Museum and Resource Center.)
6. Kansas City MO (espoused by some joker at the last Reunion.)

Look for Harbour Lights to pick a site based on input from collectors, but constrained by the practicalities of holding such a 'meeting'. I'd say it's a safe bet that HL will not be 'in the hotel business.' I expect they will negotiate rates with several hotels and provide those attending with the hotel information, but we'll each be responsible for making our own reservations whether it be at the Ritz or the Super-8, or the youth hostel.

John

Re: Let's tell Kim we are ready for another! #55260 04/14/99 12:50 PM
LamarB Offline
Quote:
Look for Harbour Lights to pick a site based on input from collectors...

My first choice would be #2, second choice #5, third choice #4.

------------------
Keepin' the flame

Re: Let's tell Kim we are ready for another! #55261 04/14/99 01:16 PM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
Our vote for the next reunion would be for the midwest - anywhere along the Great Lakes. Mackinaw City in Michigan would also give you options for looking at lighthouses in the UP as well as around the lower peninsula. We haven't been able to attend either of the past reunions and would dearly love to attend one nearby.

Wisconsin would also be great for visiting lighthouses - Door County is near Green Bay and has plenty to see.

Al & Kathy

Re: Let's tell Kim we are ready for another! #55262 04/27/99 08:34 PM
K
Kevin Offline
K
I'll be ready for a summer 2000 reunion, and in the summer it would be great to be on the Great Lakes. IMHO I would rather keep it on land for more options on where to stay and to keep the cost manageable. The option of more than one boat tour would be great. for this landlubber, the best part of the Rhode Island reunion was the boat tour.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,415 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users