Next Thread
Print Thread
More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54921 09/12/00 05:53 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
www.HarbourLights.com/events/Reunion_2001/

When, Where, What'll We Do, How Much it Will Cost... etc.

Registration day 1 month and 2 days away.

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54922 09/13/00 12:08 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Good to finally know some more of the details on the Reunion. Appears as if the pricing is pretty much in line with what was expected. Now comes that terrible wait 'till Oct 14th and registration - 32 days and counting.

Dave

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54923 09/13/00 02:02 AM
Hal Dean Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thank you for the info about the Reunion. one question do you think Harbour Lights will give you a grace time to send in a check instead of putting all that amount on your credit card?
Hal

[This message has been edited by Hal Dean (edited 09-13-2000).]

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54924 09/13/00 02:06 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
They have in the past, Hal. But you should give 'em a call and confirm that is OK Please post back here what they tell you.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 09-13-2000).]

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54925 09/14/00 08:14 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Will there be a lot of on October 14, 1200 hours PST? Will there be some on October 14, 1200 hours PST? Time will tell...

Good luck all!

Bob

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54926 09/15/00 02:13 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
For the 1997 Reunion, I registered the month before, a month after the 'cutoff' date and got in.

For 1998, I was told that everyone who called in on registration day and those who gave up trying (and told HL the following week that they gave up trying) were able to get in. Some people were told on registration day that the list had been filled but were offered a place on a 'wait list'. They were contacted later and offered a chance to attend. Some took up the offer, some did not.

Why can't HL state a number that will be able to attend? HL has committed to a specific number of hotel rooms. The rooms might hold from 1-4 individuals.

I don't know how many rooms are reserved by Harbour Lights; but for example, let's say it is 300. If they had half the rooms singles and half doubles, then 450 could be accomodated. If one-quarter were singles, one half doubles and one-quarter had 4 to a room, then:

75 x 1 = 75
150 x 2 = 300
75 x 4 = 300

675 could attend. When you book a convention like this, you are guaranteeing that the number of rooms you are holding will fill OR you have to pay for any EMPTY rooms. Yes, there is some flexibility this far out. You might be able to reduce or expand the number of rooms by some percentage of the original reservation.

There are some other factors which might limit the number of attendees - such as the number who can fit onto the available cruise vessels or in the ballroom for dinner.

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54927 09/15/00 02:40 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
At the 98 reunion we called and called and called and only got hold of Harbour Lights after registration had closed. The main hotel was booked, the standby hotel was booked and we were placed on what HL called a waiting list. I think a week or two went by and HL confirmed we would be able to attend as a daytime attendee. This meant that we would be able to attend but we would be able to make our own hotel reservations. As it turned out on registration day after we found out that we were not guaranteed a chance to get in we called the Westin direct and Westin reserved us a room at their weekend rates which were substantially higher than the HL rate. When we attended the reunion the Westin ended up charging us the reunion rate. I'm not sure what happened there but we were very greatful. I was just currious if any forum members had actually ever been unable to attend. I seem to recall reading posts over the last two years that seemed to hint around that collectors were unable to attend though I never really saw a statement in those posts saying that "I was not able to attend and why". Thanks for the breakdown on the numbers John.

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54928 09/15/00 04:14 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Sean,
I was put on waiting list and was never called. But in fairness, I only found out about HL and the Reunion in Aug of 98. I was told the WL was very long.
- Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54929 09/15/00 05:50 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I tried to call the date of the registration for the 1998 HL Reunion. After several attempts and only receiving a busy signal, I gave up and sent them an email message stating if their were any cancellations I would be interested. The following Monday (I believe) I called them and asked to be put on the waiting list. Several days later I received a call saying I could go as a daytime attendee. Of course, I said yes. A few days after that I got another call asking me if I was still interested in attending as a daytime attendee. Once again I said, yes. They called me twice. Once for my phone call to them and the other for my email message to them.

I spoke with Fred (Kuhlman)the other night and expressed my concern about being able to get a reservation for the 2001 Reunion. In his infinite wisdom, Fred told me I shouldn't worry because the only group of people that know about it are those who frequent this board. The Legacy hasn't gone out yet and that's the only way most of the HL Collectors will find out about it. If the Legacy gets delivered late, some folks may miss the initial deadline to register.

Time will tell.....

My prediction is most everybody that wants to go will be able to attend and that figure will probably be around 900-950 participants.

That's the lengthy word from the East Coast where it's raining one minute then sunny the next. The temp is 70 degrees and the chance of snow is zero.

Bob

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54930 09/16/00 03:01 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
At the chat last night Mo said the Legacy was in the mail. That will give everyone a good 3 weeks warning about the call in.

Dave

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54931 09/16/00 01:45 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
I'd love to go to the reunion. It is just too expensive for me. My son will be starting college next fall and I am already feeling the financial pinch.

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54932 09/16/00 11:38 PM
T
Tim H Offline
T
My question follows the same theme as the last one. Is it possible that I could attend the reunion as a 'day guest.' Has this happened in the past?

Also I was very startled by the overall price of the reunion. Ouch! There would no way I could afford to bring my family to this 'family reunion' How unfortunate
I wonder if other spots like mine will go unfilled because of this reason. Was anyone else caught off guard by the price? It seems that Baltimore and Bust will be the slogan for this event for me and that's a shame.

Tim H

On a real positive note, I was very impressed with the handling of the Chesapeake Regional. My congratulations to the organizers. It was tremendous fun & great seeing Bill again.

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54933 09/17/00 12:32 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I, too, tought the last reunion was a little pricey so did not attend. I have regretted passing up that opportunity. Yes, it is expensive, but look at what you are getting:
• 3 nights in a first class waterfront hotel in downtown Baltimore
• All your meals
• A boat tour
• All those goodies were hear so much about
• The Reunion event piece (mini) and the opportunity to buy a full size one

When you step back and look at it from that point of view, it really is a pretty good deal. Knowing the quality and quantity of your HL collector friends that will be there is icing on the cake!

I am looking forward to being at this Reunion!

Dave

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54934 09/17/00 12:52 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Tim H -- there is not much of a chance that day attendees will happen this year.

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54935 09/17/00 01:04 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I've been asked by a few people if I will again be arranging lighthouse tours before or after the 2001 Reunion.

The answer is Yes! But no details will be available, probably until the first of the year. With the Reunion starting on a Thursday, figure the tours will happen on the Tuesday and Wednesday before the reunion (Possibly on Thursday, since the registration will begin in the afternoon.) And another tour will probably take place on the Monday following the Reunion.

With the Chesapeake so rich in Lighthouses there will be lots left over to see beyond those we'll see as part of the Reunion activities.

I'll coordinate which lighthouses we'll include in the tour to assure that we won't duplicate those that will be included in the Reunion activities.

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54936 09/17/00 01:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have been to both reunions so far and thought that the cost of each of them was pricy too (compared to one of my regular vacations). But Dave is right you DO get your money's worth, I am very happy I went to the both of them and am planning to go to Baltimore too. The goodies are part of the cost, Your staying in a fine hotel, each reunion they have had great food, at providence they had a meal Saturday night that would have probably cost about $40-50 per person at a resturant. And best of all your whole 4 day weekend is geared to your passion of lighthouses. And it's probably more organized than the time you took the whole gang across country to Wally World only to find out that is was closed for repairs (The moose out front should have told you that) Plus you'll come home with a fine reunion exclusive lighthouse. And lastly I think this one will be a sellout too! I think Providence was in the $1400+ neighborhood for a family of 4 and it was a sellout and then some.

Mark
[This message has been edited by Mark Wagner (edited 09-16-2000).]

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54937 09/17/00 09:08 PM
jakescol Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Has there been any information if they are going to sell the exclusive lighthouse to members of HL like they did last reunion, or will it be really exclusive like it was at the first reunion? Just thought I would ask

Jake Toering

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54938 09/17/00 10:06 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Jake - my understanding is it will ONLY be available to those attending and each registered person will be able to buy 2. No price yet, no hint on which lighthouse it might be.

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54939 09/19/00 02:47 AM
D
dwood Offline
D
I can't find on the reunion page where it says what number to call on the big day, and I don't have my legacy yet - am I going blind, and is the number in there? If not, does anyone know the number - just the HL regular number?

Dixie

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54940 09/19/00 10:28 AM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
After the 2nd Reunion in Providence, one of the most prevalent suggestions for improvements was to add a day. The events at Providence were very compressed and there was little, if any, time to explore the city or shoot the breeze with your fellow lighthouse/Harbour Lights friends and wackos.

Harbour Lights apparently took this advice seriously and added a third night to the agenda for the 3rd Reunion. So, when making the cost comparison to Reunions gone by, remember the extra night and day that collectors asked for and got.

Also, as you investigate your travel plans, remember that Southwest Airlines flies to Baltimore. They aren't fancy, but they ought to get you there for a reasonable fare from just about anywhere in the country.

Rick

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54941 09/19/00 11:49 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by dwood:
I can't find on the reunion page where it says what number to call on the big day, and I don't have my legacy yet - am I going blind, and is the number in there? If not, does anyone know the number - just the HL regular number?

Dixie

800-365-1219 - Harbour Lights usual toll free number. There will be 12 incoming lines that will roll over from this 800 number.

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54942 09/19/00 02:50 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Now John. I'm really psyched! 4 days of lighthousing! 3 before and 1 after, that's a lot of lighthouses in that area. Plus the one's covered at the Reunion! That will justify my saving for the digital.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54943 09/19/00 04:10 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
After posting about the lighthouse tours, I got busy with MS Streets & Trips 2000 and plotted out two possible motor coach tours.

One would cover NJ lighthouses, starting at Cape May and going as far as Sea Girt - possible as far as Sandy Hook, returning back to Baltimore by freeway.

The second would make a first stop at Fenwick Island, then travel down the Virginia shore to Norfolk and Portsmouth, returning by freeway.

These would involve very long days - 6 am to 10 or 11 pm on the road with 30-90 minute stops at the various lighthouses.

The third trip would cover Maryland Lighhouses that we won't see on the Reunion tour. This might be taken by boat or combination boat/motor coach.

Again, these are very early planning ideas. Your input is welcome. All trips would start and end in Baltimore's Inner Harbor, but, of course, you could find less expensive hotels in the area for the extra nights you'd need.

I won't have any prices until the early Spring of 2001.

These tours are completely independent of Harbour Lights.

Email me if you have questions or ideas:

[email]chidester@mindspring.com?Subject=Reunion_Tours[/email]

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 09-19-2000).]

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54944 09/21/00 04:18 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by JChidester:
Jake - my understanding is it will ONLY be available to those attending and each registered person will be able to buy 2. No price yet, no hint on which lighthouse it might be.

I stand corrected...

Ive learned there will be a Society Exclusive version of this lighthouse -- but that the differences between the Society and Reunion pieces will be very obvious. Not just a few tiny things taken away.

Like the Rose Island Society version, there will be a limited time window for Society members to place an order; no word yet on when that window will be open.

Stay tuned...

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54945 09/26/00 12:50 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I read the following post just now. I'd like to know if there is any truth to this or is it just a joke?

Rock
WACKO
posted 09-26-2000 09:27 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As an added bonus to belonging to a local club, we just found out we can register early for the Baltimore reunion without hassling w/early morning phone calls!
[This message has been edited by Rock (edited 09-26-2000).]

Anybody have a clue?

Dennis

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54946 09/26/00 02:23 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Quote:
As an added bonus to belonging to a local club, we just found out we can register early for the Baltimore reunion without hassling w/early morning phone calls!

It's no joke Dennis. It is what Harbour Lights has decided to do. There were several Clubs that had events scheduled on the 14th that could not be changed. I believe that there was also a big Lighthouse festival that weekend somewhere on the Great Lakes. I am not a Harbour Lights spokesman, if you have concerns you should call Harbour Lights Customer Service for their explanation and the full story.

Heres a link to Rock's posting.
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum6/HTML/000135.html

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 09-26-2000).]

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54947 09/26/00 02:53 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sean,

I just finished sending my concerns to Harbour Lights directly.

I have a conflict on 10-14-00 also. i will be driving around NJ participating in Lighthouse 2000. There are ways of dealing with doing something else the same day.

The official releases by Harbour lights and the announcement on it's officila website all say basically sorry there will be no early registrations for anyone.

If they make a statement they should either stick with it or announce openly that they have changed their minds.

I did not think that this company operated this way. I had the inpression that they were an open and above board operation who took care of their on. I don't believe giving out two sets of rules comes under this heading.

I'm sure some will disagree with me , but i think their actions in this case are wrong,and I have sent my concerns to them.

Am I alone in thinking that this stinks?

If I am let me know and I'll keep quiet.

Dennis

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54948 09/26/00 03:01 PM
Art Offline
I have to agree, Dennis. I too have things to do on Saturday. I am obligated to referee a couple of kids hockey games (the first of which starts just as the HL phone lines open) and I am also coaching two games that day. I will need to attempt to get through to HL using my cell phone between periods and between games. This will be difficult considering the amount of perparation work I will need to do during those periods for the next game. The last game that day ends after the HL phones close. I need to try to find a way, so should everyone else, imo.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54949 09/26/00 03:16 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Hi Dennis, I had the same initial concerns as you and I let Harbour Lights know. After talking with them I feel that Harbour Lights has a very legitimate concern that many of their clubs were going to be engaged in activities that were planned long before the notice of the registration date was announced. I think the big problem that they were unable to deal with was that the Legacy was already shipping at the time this decision was made. To date everyone that wanted to get in to the reunions did with the exception of maybe those new collectors that found out about it to late. I believe that Harbour Lights truly expects to be able to do the same again with the Baltimore Reunion. I think HL tied their hands when they decided to do this and the Legacy was mailing. This is a new problem for Harbour Lights. One they have not had to deal with in the past. At the past two reunions the Collector Clubs were not there in strength like they are today. I think that they know this was as hard a decision as not getting this Reunion to the Great Lakes. They have risked this controversy hoping to allow the club members to register. I think you can agree with me Dennis that its easier to deal with known groups such as clubs than it would be to deal with individuals calling in saying that they are unable to phone in on the 14th. I know that my writing skills are not as elaborate as some members on this forum so I am probably not explaining how I feel with enough emotion. All I can tell you is that I was initially shocked because I thought a couple of large clubs might have called in and expeceted preferred treatment. After talking to Harbour Lights this is not the case that was presented to me. I feel much better about HL's decision to do what they are doing. If I felt that people were going to be locked out of the reunion because of this I would still be upset. We must remember that Harbour Lights is a very small company and that they are the ONLY Collectibles Company that puts on THEIR own event like this. Its tough, they run it like a family and their feelings do get hurt. They have done what they believe to be the right thing and I probably damaged some friendships with what I had to say. Everyone will probably have strong feelings on this regardless of the side you are on.

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54950 09/26/00 03:16 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I agree with the complaints. If your going to make ground rules they should be for everyone. I have to try to cut a business trip to Japan short so I can get home in time to call. I'd like nothing better than to be able to pre-register, but that's the way it goes. I think H.L.will have a lot of complaints if to many people can't get in!

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54951 09/26/00 03:34 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sean,

I understand your points. I found it strange that the registration was set for a day that a number of other events were being planned for.

The fact that these events were planned for this day was not unknown and could have been planned for.

I maintain that those who are participating in organized events, be it Lighthouse related or other interests, are going to have a tough time calling in. It should , however, be a level playing field.

I also feel that if they (Harbour Lights) felt the need to change the rules they should have made it known to all. I agree that it might have been difficult to do so whith the timing of the mailing of Legacy, but there also was no announcement on the Website.

This particular place( and I don't mean the forums, i mean the OFFICIAL website for HL) can be changed literally in minutes.

It should have been done that way and all who have a legitimate conflict could be accommadated. Why should only some people be accommadated? It is just not fair to all of the other collectors.

Of course, I also agree that this is only an opinion . And I also agree that there will be two unwavering sides on this issue. It appears that the die is cast and they will do as they see fit.

Do you think if I send in a letter from the President of the NJ Lighthouse Society or a copy of the certificate i will possibly get for visiting all 11 of the lighthouses involved that I could be accomadated?

It's just a rhetoracal question as I don't intend to ask for special treatment.

As a closing point- there is no guarantee that all that want to get to the Reunion will be accomadated. there are more people collecting now then before and ther may not be enough openings for all those who do get thru on the 14th. That's the main reason I'm perturbed by this situation.

I think all those interested in attending should be given an equal oppurtunity to attend. The act of letting even one person do their registration differently (other than those actively running the event or performing some official function there) is wrong. i know it's their company, I know it's their reunion, I know they can do as they please. I have but one question left- How can they choose which customers are the important ones? I guess there is still strength in mumbers. Individuals don't count as much as groups. I understand the logic and economics. After all it is a business, not a charity.

Dennis

[This message has been edited by wheland (edited 09-26-2000).]

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54952 09/26/00 04:06 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
You’re preaching to the choir Dennis. I agree. I wrote these same concerns to HL trying to alert them to the fact that feelings were going to be hurt but the decision had been made and the clubs already notified. There are many people who will not join clubs because they simply don't want to be involved in the politics of membership. There are also those that would like to join but live in areas with no clubs or areas with few collectors and no potential for future clubs. You are absolutely correct that there is not one collector that is anymore important than the next. We all spread the message of lighthouse preservation regardless of money or affiliation. I'll just repeat what I've tried to say above, Harbour Lights is a small company; they make mistakes and don't always have great contingency planning. I can guarantee you that the dates of these known events probably never entered HLs minds when they picked the 14th as the registration date. It's my understanding that Bill and Nancy will actually be at a Festival on the 14th. So you are correct that they had to know of the conflicts. They just didn't consider them. I believe that Harbour Light's ethics are still those that we are describing. There is no sinister plot to cater to clubs. It was simply Harbour Lights trying to do what they think is the right thing. Do nothing and you hurt people’s feelings. Make the decision you hurt peoples feelings.

I am not trying to squash opinion. I have just had the luxury of having a couple extra days than some of you to think about this. If you agree or disagree sound off, this is just my opinion after talking with Harbour Lights and understanding their struggle.

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 09-26-2000).]

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54953 09/26/00 04:42 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Speaking as one in an area where no club exists, it strikes me as unfair two ways.
One, HL changed the rules without any notification to its society members and two,
it gives preferential treatment to a subset of HL collectors. We all pay the same dues to belong to the Collector's Society so we should all be given the same chance when registering.

Also, for those of you who try to get low number pieces and are not in a club, forget about a low numbered reunion exclusive.

I would be willing to bet that the early registration for clubs will fill 1/4 to 1/3 of the available slots for the reunion.

------------------
Randall Ronne

[This message has been edited by Rrronne (edited 09-26-2000).]

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54954 09/26/00 05:48 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Harbour Lights didn't get this far by luck. They are a very savy business and I'm sure they know what they are doing. I firmly believe that everyone who wants to attend this reunion will be able to do so. You may not be staying at the new Marriott in Baltimore, but you most certainly will find lodging somewhere. Then you can do what I did for the Providence Reunion, become a daytime attendee.

I do not belong to a Harbour Lights Club. I observed enough bickering in the one year that I was a member to discourage me from participating again. Collecting HLs is suppose to be enjoyable. When it stops being fun then it's time to move on to something else.

Saturday, October 14 is a work day for me. If I don't manage to get through in the first hour before work, I may not get a chance to call again that day. If I don't get through then I'll have to hope to become a daytime attendee again. I don't think a note from my Governor will carry any weight in getting me an advance reservation. So be it...it's not the end of the world.

If you really have the desire to attend this reunion, then you will be able to. Lets not try to stir up dissent when there is no need for it.

Long live the Younger Family & Harbour Lights!

Bob

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54955 09/26/00 06:22 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob,

The following is an interesting quote.

"If you really have the desire to attend this reunion, then you will be able to. Lets not try to stir up dissent when there is no need for it.

Long live the Younger Family & Harbour Lights!"

I guess I'm just confused, but I tend to believe what I read. I tend to understand the english language based upon it's dictionary definitions. I tend to think when I read a statement that says no early registrations will be allowed I think that means that no one will be able to register early.

I don't think it means no one , unless you belong to a certain subgroup of the people who will be trying to register, can register early. I may not have made my main complaint clear- if you are going to do something a certain way say so. Don't have secret rules for some and other rules for all the rest.

If this is stirring up dissent , then so be it. I believe that there would be no dissent to stir up if there was nothing hidden going on.

Someone should have reminded all those involved in the secret that it was not to be shared with those unlucky enough not to be of the chosen few.

I accept your opinion, but I don't share it. When someone does something wrong it should be acknowledged as such. It should not be portrayed as a level playing field if it was never intended to be so.

I'm not even concened with the effect this may have on the number on the event pieces you recieve/ purchase. This is about treating your community fairly. There should not be two standards, only one.

Dennis

[This message has been edited by wheland (edited 09-26-2000).]

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54956 09/26/00 06:31 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Is it all collector clubs that will get early registration or just a few? Can anyone join a collector club today and then get a guaranteed registration without the phone in hassle? These are just thoughts that came to mind after reading the above comments.

I too am like Randall...no clubs in Utah. I have often thought about joining one but felt I wouldn't be able to participate much. The question comes as to which one to join...closest to home, where you like to go on vacation, where you have family, etc.

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54957 09/26/00 09:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I will add my two cents....

If they are going to take early registration's I would hope that those registration's be put at the end of the list so that those who where able to get in thru the phones will get the lowest numbers on their reunion pieces, since that is the way it was intended "first come first serve"

And secondly if they should receive more registration's than they can handle in the alotted time, that all registration's then become a lottery (each slip being 1 phone call, 1 couple, family, or solo) then draw slips until you have the desired number of people or have filled all available rooms.

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54958 09/26/00 11:23 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Everyone should realize that Younger & Associates are bending over backwards to make their HL Collector's Family happy. If they improvise on a few things, so be it. They are not contractually or legally obligated in any way when it comes to how they handle the reservations. There is no calling your Union Rep to file a grievance on this matter.

If I was in charge, I would give first refusals to everyone who has attended both reunions. Then I would give second refusals to anyone who attended at least one of the reunions. The next in line would be those collectors who show the most interest in HLs through this forum and other interactions with HL. (Note: I would grant John Chidester and Paul Brady an automatic spot at the top of the list.)

After all of the above are taken care of, I would open it up to all the other HL Collectors. Do you know what? I would be willing to bet by October of 2001, everybody who wants to attend will be given that opportunity.
( IMHO)

Bob

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54959 09/27/00 12:41 AM
DocJ44 Offline
After I return from Rochester, I am taking my family to Disney World for putting up with my absence. Our first day there will be 10/14. You know what?....We ain't going anywhere that morning until I register. Anyone who wants to attend will be sure to be near a phone during the 6 hour window.

Doc John

Doc John
Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54960 09/27/00 12:55 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob,

"Everyone should realize that Younger & Associates are bending over backwards to make their HL Collector's Family happy. If they improvise on a few things, so be it. They are not contractually or legally obligated in any way when it comes to how they handle the reservations. There is no calling your Union Rep to file a grievance on this matter."

I have not disagreed with the main thrust of this in my concerns. i think you are still ignoring the main thrust of my concerns.

Yes I agree that Harbour lights is a business and has the right to do business in the manner that they wish. i have no problem with that concept as long as they deign to tell us truthfully how it is they intend to do business.

I wolud not like it if they came out with the rules for registering for the Reunion and set it up exactly as you suggest. I would at least know what my chances were. i object to the official publications of the company stating one thing when the actual system is something else.

I do not object specifically to putting some consumers of their product in a special category. I object to being misled and effectively lied to .

As I also said before I recognize that it is a business , not a charity. I understand the logic and the economics of the decision. I don't understand the secrecy.

Dennis

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54961 09/27/00 12:58 AM
T
TGIFIF Offline
T
I have a question...when someone calls on Oct 14th, how many people can they regester for? Is it 1 call 1 room? Or can I make my reservations & those for ones I have read about on this post that "can't" get to the phones on that day?

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54962 09/27/00 01:06 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
How about a "designated caller"? Surely we all have a friend or relative we could ask to call in a reservation if we were not able to ourselves?

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54963 09/27/00 02:08 AM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I hesitated on if I should post anything here or not. I guess the controversial side won out, so here goes.

When I first heard about this, I knew it would be controversial, but as was mentioned above, no matter what Harbour Lights did, someone would be upset. It is just impossible to please all of the people all of the time. I am convinced that Harbour Lights weighed the consequences and made the best decision in their opinion.

As far as an "Official" announcement from Harbour Lights, I am betting that this information spread so fast that they did not have an opportunity to issue one. This is the 21st century and evidently news sure travels fast.

This is not a precedent setting move for Harbour Lights. We are all aware that in the past, Harbour Lights set edition sizes for their LE's. Sculpted them right into the flag on the piece. Low and behold, some pieces were retired early and instead of having edition sizes of 9500 like the flag said, pieces like Selkirk, Peggy's Cove, and the Lady Lightkeeper series to name a few had less than 9500 pieces. In some cases significantly fewer. While this is not the same as reunion registration. It is similar and most collectors applauded this change in position by Harbour Lights.

It comes down to this: It doesn't matter if I think Harbour Lights is doing the right thing, or if you think Harbour Lights is doing the right thing. The reunion is their baby. To Dennis and the others who feel they are being wronged, I apologize to you. I know where you are coming from, and I can sympathize. It feels like being on the outside looking in. This reunion is serious business and Harbour Lights knows that. I am sure that the time and money that they will lay out for this reunion is mind boggling. That is probably why they made the change they did. They thought is was in their best interest. Should they have made an official announcement before informing the clubs of the decision? It's your call.

I have nothing but the strongest belief that Harbour Lights has the best interests of all of their collectors at heart. They are not trying to screw anyone and I will bet that they know some collectors out there are hurt by this change in procedure and in turn is causing a lot of hurt to those at Younger & Associates. One thing that could happen, Harbour Lights could say it is just not worth the hassle and say sorry gang, no reunion in 2001. That won't happen of course, but it would sure make things easier on them.

I sincerely hope that everyone that wants to attened will be able to attend and I have no reason to believe that anyone will be turned away. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I would guess that Harbour Lights will now go out of their way more so than usual to be certain everyone will be able to attend.

If you agree with me or not, I hope everyone here can agree to disagree and still be freinds. It would be a shame to see hard feelings come about from something that is supposed to be so wonderful.

-Todd

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54964 09/27/00 08:06 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Excellent reply, Todd! "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

Hey Sue,....what you say is very true and a good idea. If you can't call personally, have a family member or a friend call for you. All you need is a telephone, credit card, and a lot of patience.

This topic is generating a lot of interest. Just think if every HL Collector had a computer and visited the CF how busy this topic would be.

I still feel everyone who is financially able and wants to attend this reunion, will be able to. Although there are thousands of HL Collectors, not all will be able to meet the "requirements" to attend. Remember, the reunion can be a major expense beyond the $1000 plus just for the hotel and reunion events. Transportation has to be considered as well as other additional costs beyond the reunion. Potential attendees must be able to secure vacation time for that time period. I'm sure many of our faithful have kids in the lower grades and taking them out of school or leaving them home with a sitter may not be an option. People with college tuition bills may not be able to attend for obvious reasons.

Whatever happens we should keep our focus on the fact that the Youngers are doing the best they can to try and please most all of the people most all of the time. They are wonderful people. Lets not give them any headaches over trying to do the right thing.

Bob

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54965 09/27/00 11:59 AM
Art Offline
I have had some time to think about this now.

What would we have all said if a month ago Y&A came out with an announcement stating:

NOTICE: THIS IS HYPOTHETICAL!
THESE ARE NOT THE WORDS OF
HARBOUR LIGHTS NOR OF YOUNGER & ASSOCIATES.

It has come to our attention that many collectors clubs throughout the country have events planned for the day of registration for Reunion '01. This would obviously make it difficult for club members to get to the phones on that day.

We at Harbour Lights have wrestled with this and the fairness and practicality of several alternatives. We have decided to allow club members nationwide to pre-register. This will allow a core group of collectors to enjoy their day at the lights without worrying about registration.

We recognize that this would not be fair to people who have otherwise busy schedules and who do not belong to a collectors club. For some, membership has been impractical due to geographic location or other reasons. Others simply choose not to belong to one for a variety of reasons. Since we at Harbour Lights strongly support the collectors clubs and the charitable work toward lighthouses that most of them do, we believe that collectors club membership growth is in the best interest of everyone concerned with the preservation of lighthouses. Therefor, we are encouraging all collectors clubs to allow for some members in absentia to join by paying the dues required of regular members. This will allow for the growth of the clubs and for membership in the clubs by people who may never actually attend any meetings.

To encourage individuals to join such a club, Harbour Lights will extend the same opportunity for pre-registration to anyone who joins a club before (date), even if solely for the purpose of pre-registration to the Reunion. The member in absentia must have dues paid up in full and be carried on the roster of one of the collectors clubs to be eligible.

How would this sit with everyone?

I'd be all for it. This might have been similar to HL's thought process, or at least a consideration of theirs. I don't believe that there was anything "sneaky" intended; I just think that the rollout could have been better. None of us is perfect.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go join some distant collectors club (there is no such thing as one that is close to me).

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54966 09/27/00 12:43 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
I have made the decision this morning that I will not be attending the reunion. At $826 plus traveling expenses, parking, additional days for lighthouse tours, incidental expenses, etc. the cost will be more than I can justify. Even if it were possible to attend as a daytime attendee finding a reasonably priced hotel in the downtown area is nearly impossible.

There are many other times throughout the year when one has the opportunity to meet the Younger crew and fellow collectors/wackos - Collectible shows, regional signing events and individual signing events. The cost of attending these can range from much less expensive to darn near free.

While it would be great to be able to meet some of you who are from distant areas, paying this much money for that opportunity is just not possible.

Now I don't mean to rag on HL! They have set up what appears to be a very nice reunion. While all indications point to the fact that no one who wants to attend is supposedly going to be turned away, the fact remains that out of all the thousands of collectors the vast majority will not attend for whatever reason. Perhaps some of them due to cost reasons.

I do believe that most "collectors" have collections that vary from "just a few pieces" to "complete collections". Those like myself who have no intention to try to amass anywhere near a complete collection, mainly due to cost are probably not going to try to attend.

I do think it is a great opportunity, thanks to St. John and many others, that we have the opportunity to meet with each other on a daily basis, if desired, here at the forums regardless of collection sizes or cash flow. So this is where my reunion will continue to take place! This is a fine group of people who make everyone feel welcome.

I do hope that all those who do attend the reunion in Baltimore have a wonderful time and that you do not let any conflicts come between you. Planning and executing such an endeavor without problems along the way is not easy.

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54967 09/27/00 01:25 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
While I totally understand your reasons for your decision, Mombo, I am very sorry to hear you won't be attending, you will be missed. You are a great lighthouse enthusiast and your presence would do nothing but add to the Reunion's success!

Paul L Brady

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54968 09/27/00 02:40 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Good points Bob. I for one fall into the bracket of not knowing if my new job will let me attend. Who besides a true retiree can commit 12 months out to being there? Not me, I am going to register on the hopes I can be there and hope by the time the final payment comes along that I will know if I will be able to make it or not.

Art a great press release though I do not agree with the theory of having people join clubs just to be on a roster. Roster size is no indication of the clubs success and all it would really do is put money into the coffers of the club. I myself prefer sending checks to the Lighthouses I choose to support restoration on. My $25 would be better spent in direct support of a lighthouse versus just joing a club to be able to register for the reunion.

imho,

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54969 09/27/00 02:42 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Paul's words echo my own thoughts, Sue...

You will be missed. Maybe we can borrow your WACKO map or make one of our own to indicate where Reunion attendees are from.

Hope you can find a way to reconsider... But I respect your decision and the courage to post it here.

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54970 09/27/00 03:33 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I am also sorry to hear that Mombo (Sue) will not be attending. She is one of the people I had hoped to meet at the Reunion.

I will attempt to make my main objection clear- as it seems to be lost in the translation. I do not like the concept of giving different treatment to certain people. I certainly think it is wrong for people to simply join a club just to get early registration.

but as I have stated before, I think that the point of keeping it a secret is what is the wrongness of the concept. I understand that the Legacy has a deadline, but the main event conflicting was known long before. I maintain that at the very least the change could have been put on the website.

Changes to the site can be accomplished very quickly.

I am not trying to start any trouble. I am simply giving my opionion. I understand you can't please everyone. I understand the logic and the economics. I simply object to the fact that certain people were given an opportunity that others were not and told not to tell anyone about it.

I agree that Bill Younger and his family and his company have done numerous wonderful things for both their customers and for lighthouses int his and other countries. I salute them now and have done so before. I will continue to support their efforts in any way I can. I understand no one is perfect. I'm not. I just expected better from such a group of people such as the Harbour Lights group.

Dennis

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54971 09/27/00 05:47 PM
Art Offline
Quote:
I certainly think it is wrong for people to simply join a club just to get early registration.

Yesterday those were my feelings too, Dennis. I have had a change of heart. Thinking more about this and about Harbour Lights' possible justification/ rationalization for doing what they did has lead me to the scenario painted above. Growing the memberships wouldn't be a bad thing. Getting to register for the reunion early isn't a bad thing. Nor is it a matter of exclusivity since if I can join a club for the purpose, then anyone can. I do agree with your opinion,
Quote:
... - if you are going to do something a certain way say so. Don't have secret rules for some and other rules for all the rest.

However, I don't think that "secret rules" was Harbour Lights intent. I just have to give them the benefit of the doubt here, knowing what kind of company they are and knowing of their pride in their integrity and reputation. HL is known to not allow information on the website before it is published in the Legacy. Since the Legacy had already gone out when the decision was made, I can see why the information was not made available immediately on HL.com.

Quote:
...all it would really do is put money into the coffers of the club. I myself prefer sending checks to the Lighthouses I choose to support restoration on. My $25 would be better spent in direct support of a lighthouse versus just joing a club to be able to register for the reunion.

Sean, I donate plenty to lighthouses directly. These membership dollars are dollars that would not otherwise find their way to lighthouses in any form. They'd probably otherwise end up in the coffer of some fast food giant.

I am not a member of a club for a practical reason: distance. If some distant club can benefit by the addition of my membership, what does that hurt if I join but cannot attend meetings? Is putting money in the coffer of a club wrong? What is club money used for, anyway? I don't think that it is wasted if it goes toward the enjoyment, understanding and preservation of lighthouses. In one way or another, most every dollar of most clubs' membership fees go toward just such a purpose.

I am (a) serious about joining a club for the purpose of registration and (b) at peace with myself for making that decision.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54972 09/27/00 06:25 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Art,

I just completed a series of email with Zina at Harbour Lights

Here is the gist of those emails- the decision on the early Registration was made by Bill himself. I t was done to reward all the hard work done by these organizations and to make it easier to register people on the 14th.

It also was stated after i made a remark stating that maybe I should do as you suggested- join now to be able to register. I was told that would not work. The reason given for not making an announcement about the early registration was so that there would not be a slew of new club members whose only reason for joining was to avoid the registration project.

I understand your position.

I am pleased that I was given a direct response to my queries. I will never be completely comfortable with the manner in which it was done, but I'm basically done with this topic.

We can go round and round about it. It won't change the policy, it won't change anyone's perception of the policy and all it will accomplish is infighting.

I'm not sorry I responded to the first post about this . I continue to be displeased, but satisfied that our displeasure has been noted and that hiopefully a repeat of this type of situation will not occur.

Dennis

Re: More details on 2001 Baltimore Collectors Reunion #54973 09/27/00 06:44 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Another busy afternoon in the forums. I am closing this thread due to it's length. Please continue your discussion at: http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum13/HTML/000035.html
Jim
Johnson

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 651 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users