Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
2001 Reunion #54627 06/09/99 02:53 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Has there been any discussion as to where? I think Michigan, being the state with the most lighthouses, would be an excellent choice. I would love to go, but not sure of details. Any thoughts?

Re: 2001 Reunion #54628 06/09/99 03:13 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
In addendum to my post after reading some of the previous...it sounds like quite a few people want the next reunion to be somewhere on the Great Lakes. I am a fellow Michigander and have had the priveledge (sp?) of being able to see nearly every lighthouse in the state (some multiple times) and there are uncovered treasures in the UP that so few people know about. I agree that Mackinac would be a fantastic place to host it, being central to both penninsulas as well as plenty of hotel space between Mackinac City and St. Ignace. Traverse City would be a second choice due to size and location (all the lighthouses down the Lake Michigan side) and still only be 1 1/2 hour from Mackinac bridge. I think the best route to go hotel wise (also being a former travel agent) is for HL to get negotiated rates with different properties for the convention (and this is something I'd be more than happy to assist with if someone who plans the convention reads my post) and that gives people a choice of where to stay and also caters to the more budget-conscious minded and then set up a central meeting place with a conference facility as the main location. It's certainly not too late this year to plan for 2000. You could very easily set something up for the first or second week in May for northern Michigan - the weather is decent and you're still on off-rate hotel rates and not as busy with summer travellers. Just another two cents.

Jen

Re: 2001 Reunion #54629 06/15/99 04:11 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline
L
Michigan certainly sounds like a logical choice for the next reunion, seeing as how it has been on both coasts previously. However, I don't think 2000 is the best time to hold this convention. I travel extensively throughout the US for both business and personal reasons, and in talking to hotel and motel operators, and transportation managers, they all say pretty much the same thing: the year 2000, because of what it signifies, is going to be the busiest year ever for travelers going to special events and celebrating the year in their own special way with family trips, reunions, even business-sponsored events. Reservations have been in place for several years for both accommodations and transportation. That will make it very difficult for any large size group, such as HL, to get sufficient and quality space during a desirable time of the season.

Being a Wisconsin native, and Michigan having an identical terrain and climate along the Great Lakes, I can say that spring is not the best time for such a convention. It is down right cold along the lakes at that time, and especially out on the water on any cruises to see lights or even land visits. Autumn would be so much better: warmer, clearer air with less chance of fog for good photography of the lighthouses (I am a semi-professional travel photographer), and would give HL travelers a chance to stay on in Michigan after the convention to enjoy the autumn foliage colors that start arriving in later September.

I like your idea of having a variety of hotel/motel options to choose from, rather than one big pricey hotel. It makes more sense to have the displays, dinners, company store etc. at a convention center where there is more room. Hopefully then there would be a room just for HL clubs to set up their tables and promote membership in their regional clubs and provide a chance for all club members to intermingle and trade ideas on programs, outings, and fundraising events which would benefit all clubs. I see many postings on the forum from HL members asking if there isn't a club in their area. What better place to post such a notice and try to gather with other interested persons than in an "HL CLUB ROOM".

I would also like to see various lectures and slide programs on lighthouses, lightships, lifesaving stations, evolution of the total lighthouse service, maritime history etc., put on by some of the top historians and authors, which HL could bring in for the convention. All other hobby conventions I have attended have these classes as a standard fare. It would provide some serious content to the convention, besides all the fun we have had previously. The convention should be a few days longer to fit such programs in and to take the pressure off of crowding in so much FUN back to back. We had a great time in RI, but were too tired at the end to enjoy the Sat. evening music and festivities after dinner, as were most other attendees; and that was too bad after the expense HL went to to provide a quality dance band. If people travel this far, I think most of them would like to spend a week's vacation not only at the convention but in seeing other lighthouses in the area on their own, for the expense of that airline ticket.

ANd, as you suggest, if many hotels and motels were used, and a central convention center used, then HL should be able to accommodate as many members as would like to attend. I am still hearing bitterness on the part of some members in my area who so wanted to attend in RI and couldn't get registration. It is not fair to turn away society members who want to attend; and is not good PR for Harbour Lights as a company. Charge us what you have to to cover your expenses, but do let us all attend who wish to. Cruises and lighthouse tours can be run multiple times on various days to accommodate greater numbers of people. If any of you out there are model railroaders and have gone to the annual national MNRA conventions, you know that they easily handle all who want to register (over 3000 at one I went to), and hold their classes, programs, and tours on a repeat basis several times so all can fit them into the week's time frame. THey also make use of local clubs to help in conducting the tours and in monitoring and setting up rooms for the programs and speakers; and this same philosophy could be used by HL with a MI area HL club or even with the help of the Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Association. There are many persons and much subject content to work with in MI for a great HL convention.

Our HL club, New England Lighthouse Lovers, just attended a signing with Bill in Portland 2 weekends ago, and the question of "when" for the reunion was asked. He indicated that 2001 was being looked at.

So let's band together and lobby for 2001, in Michigan, in mid-September, and make it a convention that everyone who wants to attend will be accepted for registration. Such a convention should be held for fun for everyone, not just taking place for a limited number of members who want to see a small number of special convention event pieces made which will then escalate in price and become an economic boom for those who gather multiple pieces to sell on the secondary market. Collecting should be fun for all; and a convention should be the place where any and all of us can gather for camaraderie; not excluded, in hopes of building up an economic value of a statue.

ladylightkeeper
Re: 2001 Reunion #54630 06/15/99 11:58 PM
LamarB Offline
Sean's right-on with the easy fix.

Having attended both HL Reunions, several reunions of my blood kin family and numerous conventions, I assure you it's lot's more like a family Reunion. HL treats us like family, we treat each other like family and it really does have a family-like atmosphere. People you haven't met yet are like distant cousins. If we can help it Kim and I'll not miss another.

------------------
Keepin' the flame

Re: 2001 Reunion #54631 06/16/99 01:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just another thought on the amount of people going to the reunions - The first reunion was NOT a sell out, and the second reunion had over 200 more people than the first one. I think HL did a pretty darn good job of trying to get as many people in the second one as possible (one more lobster and the tent might of split a seam)

Mark

Re: 2001 Reunion #54632 06/16/99 01:29 AM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
To agree with Mark's post, since the Younger's ended up giving their own hotel rooms away, it seems very clear that they went beyond the call of duty to fit in everyone that they could in Rhode Island. I also agree with many of the ideas posted earlier in this thread and I think that HL does listen, so keep those ideas coming and let's convince Kim that 2001 is the year for the next one.
Jim
Johnson

Re: 2001 Reunion #54633 06/16/99 03:50 AM
Art Offline
I'd just like to add a quick plug for the next generation of wackos. I take my kids lighthousing all of the time, and take them to Bill's events, too. They share in every aspect of Harbour Lights collecting in our family, including decisions on what to buy next.

Having the reunion in the fall is great for many adults (and my personal preference also), but it makes it hard to bring the kids. Mariann (my wife) is a teacher. The beginning of the school year is a tough time for us to get away and would be even if we had no children. I may be in a very small minority, but I would much rather see a summertime reunion, at least at this stage of my life.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: 2001 Reunion #54634 06/16/99 02:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'd like to respond to several items from the previous posts on this thread......

I had no clue that the first reunion was happening. Found out when I was in the HL home office a week before. Guess I was too new to HL. The second reunion dates were right as we began a new school year and there was not a chance I could take off withour prior planning.

The location does not matter to me. Altho' Florida would be great. If the Youngers continue to try and alternate reunions on different coasts, that will be fair to all of the society members. I just want to know the dates and location far enough in advance so I can book my flight and my lodging. I agree with Art about the summer, but even that can be difficult too. I am sure that some HL society members are teaching in summer school and others are on the year-round schedule. So, I think it is up to us, as individuals, to decide whether we want to and can afford the time and money to attend. (My husband is responsible for arranging Methodist retreats and you cannot find a time that is convenient for everyone.)

The Youngers and all of the HL staff treat HL collectors as their extended family. That's one reason why I keep collecting. I met Sir John during the Tybee relighting ceremony. I look forward to meeting so many of you in person, like cousins I have never met.

I know that 2000 will be a busy travel year, I have read some reports too, but I'm eager.
But, Kim will make the decision, so we will have to be happy with it. I'm just waiting and saving my money for the time we can have one in New York and see the completed museum.
Derith

Re: 2001 Reunion #54635 06/28/99 05:07 AM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline
L
Two of you have used the magic word---"give us enough advance notice so we can plan". I belong to several big groups which hold conventions as does my husband. They all post the dates for their conventions at least 3 years ahead. Then it is easy to mark a calendar and plan the rest of your time around saving that date. Enough lead time is necessary today to get better advance airplane rates; to put in for vacation time for that specific week; or to just plain avoid scheduling something else which later cannot be cancelled or changed. That is what happened to us. We had already put deposits down on another big convention for that exact same weekend. With the short notification of HL's first reunion, there was no way to change our plans We were heartbroken. I am sure that short notification is what produced a smaller attendance. Now members wait with baited breath, but you can't put off making some commitments for 2 or more years just to hope you have kept the correct weekend open. If we all voiced out concerns about advance notice, it might come to pass. Most big hotels need to be booked a good two years in advance anyway. Somebody post it here if the date is sent up by smoke signal from CA or Bill let's it"slip out".

ladylightkeeper
Re: 2001 Reunion #54636 06/28/99 12:03 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
At the seminar on Saturday afternoon at Rosemont Kim told everyone that HL is working on a reunion for 2001 and that they were looking at the Great Lakes area. Bill also mentioned several other possible sites if they couldn't find a location in the Great Lakes which would meet all their needs. I am sure that they will give us all the lead time that they can once the plans start to come together.
Jim
Johnson

Re: 2001 Reunion #54637 06/28/99 12:51 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
The great lakes seems fair. East and West Coast has been served, right? 2001 is the next mellineum, not 2000. Do it then. Just give us enough notice.

How about a small town setting away from the big city. We're a down to earth group, right?

Moby

Moby
Re: 2001 Reunion #54638 06/28/99 01:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2001 sounds good to me...I'll be there !

Derith

Re: 2001 Reunion #54639 06/28/99 03:31 PM
LamarB Offline
Sounds good to me, too!

------------------
Keepin' the flame

Re: 2001 Reunion #54640 06/29/99 12:27 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
As Jim noted above, the Reunion came up at the Saturday seminar and it also came up at the Sunday one.

From the answers on both days, it's clear Harbour Lights would LIKE to hold the next reunion in 2001 in Michigan - or at least on the Great Lakes.

The big problem is a venue that can seat 700-800 for dinner. On Mackinac Island, there are two larger facilities - the Grand Hotel and the Mission Point Hotel. Both can seat the requisite number, but not in the same dining room.

The Grand requires coat and tie for dinner and wouldn't bend the rule. Distinctly un-lighthousing. (BTW - you can see the Grand by renting the Christopher Reeve - Jane Seymour movie "Somewhere in Time". Good use of Round Island too.)

Getting to Mackinac Island by air wouldn't be cheap. Closest commercial service is probably Traverse City, or Pelston, but expect to pay a lot more to fly into these smaller cities that into larger ones.

Another possibility might be Grand Rapids MI. The hotel situation could be easily met there and a variety of room types and rates could be found around town. For lighthouses, you're only about an hour from Holland and Lake Michigan.

A pre- or post-Reunion coach tour could start at Michigan City and travel north along the Michigan side of Lake Michigan to the Straits of Mackinac (2-3 day trip with stops.)

Another could see some of the lights in Southern Lake Michigan and could then take the car ferry across Lake Michigan at Ludington and to Manitowac with a tour of Door County Wisconsin.

If the event could be held at Traverse or Mackinaw Cities, the hi-speed passenger ferries that ply between Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island could be chartered to take a tour of lights offshore such as White Shoal and Round Island as well as have good viewing of lights on peninsulas such as Mission Point, etc.

The idea would be to have a 2-3 day 'event' together with meals, 'seminars', auctions, etc with optional choices to see the best of the lighthouses that Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio offer.

Individuals could, of course, plan their own tours to hit the Ontario lighthouses and/or Erie lights.

Let me state these are my ideas and are offered as such only. I am not privy to the actual plans which Harbour Lights might have.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 06-28-99).]

Re: 2001 Reunion #54641 06/29/99 01:35 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Since we are for sure that there won't be a Reunion in the year 2000 and HL is trying very hard to put it together for 2001, I decided to change the thread title to reflect that.

Saint WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: 2001 Reunion #54642 06/29/99 05:59 PM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
John, just took the carferry from Ludington to Manitowac in June. Reservations have to be made to take this ferry with rates being approx. $40 per person and per car. The trip is 4 hours. It was quite nice. Reservations are a must especially with a group like this.

You have given many good ideas. You can't even walk on the porch of the Grand on Mackinaw without paying a fee. Not surprised about the dress requirements. Hope HL finds a good place. We've missed the last 2 because we couldn't change plans already made - really hope and want to attend the next.

Kathy

Re: 2001 Reunion #54643 06/29/99 06:46 PM
FrankB Offline
Certainly any of the major cities on the Great Lakes (Toronto ONT, Buffalo NY, Cleveland OH, Toledo OH, Detroit MI, Chicago IL, Milwaukee WI, and maybe Hamilton ONT) would have adequate facilities. Since Kim mentioned difficulties in finding a site, I assume a town closer to more lighthouses than any of these are is the goal.

Mackinaw City MI certainly has plenty of motel rooms, if you count all of the establishments in the area. I see two problems here: 1) People would have to be spread out among quite a few different motels. (There are only 2 hotels with more than 100 rooms.) and 2) I am not sure it has the convention facilities. The Ramada Inn (the largest motel at 154 rooms) has banquet space for only 250. None of the references I have checked indicate that the town has a convention center. Does it? And if so, how many people can it handle for a dinner function?

I think the best candidate as a site in the vicinity of the Straights of Mackinac is Sault Ste. Marie ONT. The three largest hotels have almost 600 rooms between them (Ramada Inn - 211, Holiday Inn - 195, Algoma's Water Tower Inn - 180). The Ramada can handle meals for up to 1,400 people in its ballroom. Plus, the city also has a convention center (the 90,000 square foot Civic Centre) and an outdoor tented facility called the Bondar Pavilion.

Traverse City would certainly be a nice location and people would not have to be split up among as many different motels as at Mackinac City (more 100+ room facilities). The largest would not be able to handle a dinner for the whole group and, like Mackinac City, I have no convention center info for Traverse City.

Another city with good facilities is Duluth MN. (Bigger hotels, but not as large banquet space as Sault Ste. Marie.) The two largest downtown hotels have over 600 rooms between them (Holiday Inn Downtown Waterfront - 353 and Radisson Harborview - 268). Also, the Best Western Edgewater East on the north side of downtown has 282 rooms. The city has a skywalk which connects to many of the buildings in the downtown area and also to the Waterfront Canal Park. Both the Holiday Inn and the Radisson are connected to the skywalk. The Holiday Inn's ballroom will handle up to 600 for meals, which might not be enough. The city does have a convention center, but I have no info on its capacity. Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, with its numerous lighthouses is within 2 hours to the east and Two Harbors & Split Rock Lighthouses are both within 1 1/4 hours to the north.

P.S. Both Mackinac City and Duluth feature a lighthouse on their visitor guiudes.

[This message has been edited by FrankB (edited 06-29-99).]

[This message has been edited by FrankB (edited 06-29-99).]

FrankB
Re: 2001 Reunion #54644 06/30/99 01:49 PM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
Traverse City has a huge golf resort designed by Jack Nicklaus (sorry, can't remember the name) - lots of large conferences (have no idea how many they actually can hold) are held in their venue and probably quite expensive. If it's in the fall, there are lots of hotels around for those who would rather go cheaper. During the summer, those rooms are hard to get.

Kathy

Re: 2001 Reunion #54645 07/07/99 02:12 AM
M
mainenut Offline
M
Just revvin' up with posting replies on the forums. Everybody here has some great ideas! Allow me to put in my 2 cents.

As a family on a budget, keeping expenses down is a priority. Cheap hotels are the absolute top priority. I always love a hotel with a small fridge and a nuker so I can save on eating out. However, a big fancy final night dinner would be a special evening event that we don't normally get, even if we had to dress up. I would even be willing to put in $20 per person for a truly scrumptious meal. FYI - go easy on wheat and dairy products (including eggs) in the catering...many people are allergic.

Being spread out up and down a coast doesn't really bother me. I hope that shuttle buses of some form would be offered. Might I suggest renting out-of-use school buses? I'll fork over a quarter or two per ride.

While I love fall foliage and require a "fix" every other year or so, I usually get it at my mother-in-law's place in CT. I agree with the other posts about it being hard to find time to take the kids out of school. I have an advantage over most; my child attends a private alma mater of mine (sometimes my teachers from 25 years ago)that have problem sending work with us. But who wants to work with lighthouses to see! This is something my pre-teen and I enjoy together and who knows how long that will last. I digress...late July or early August would be supreme. And most definitely a welcome respite from the 100 degrees and 120% humidity of Houston.

I am sure the issue of 2000 vs. 2001 is now a non-issue, but my vote is for 2001. After all, we simply must be there for Hatteras!

Re: 2001 Reunion #54646 07/07/99 05:59 AM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
in response to mainenut-

I too am budget minded. In striving to keep costs down, our family has been able to take many nice vacations. However, $20 for a truly scrupmtious catered meal does not exist. My experience with meeting planning says that a great catered meal (usually 4 courses) costs $35-40 per person. Also, plunking down a quarter or 2 is not reasonable either. A chartered bus (even a shool bus) can cost $100 per hour. As you can see, organized events are not cheap to put on. I plan meetings for my pharmacy fraternity, in which we have many collegiate members, so holding costs down is a mandate. It is not an easy thing to do, especially when planning meetings on either coast.

Anyway, I appreciate your input- it is good to know that I am not the only tight-wad out there!

Keep the flame! Hope to be able to attend a reunion at some time in my life!

Chris G
Re: 2001 Reunion #54647 07/07/99 07:09 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline
L
It was wonderful that many of you have researched and posted here information on hotels, function rooms, transportation, and nearby lighthouses. I would like to suggest that several HL members from EVERY state and Canadian province which has lighthouses in it, gather such information in a more intensive and organized way and send it off to Kim at Harbour Lights, along with any pamphlets on the above facilities. This could become a resource file for them for their planning of all future reunions. It would be a big help to them to have such information at hand for them to dip into and make planning easier and faster. This in turn would benefit us, as they could tell us much farther in advance when such a reunion were to take place, so that we could make our far range plans.

The problem is how to get this idea out to all HL members, as I am sure only a portion of them read this forum section. What ideas do you have on that?

Advance planning is important, so that we and they aren't in a flurry at a close last minute trying to find all this information for a site that could support the size reunion they put on.

As president of our HL club here in New England, where we rotate our meetings and Outings at least 4 times a year from state to state, it is a huge work load for me to research hotels, function rooms, speakers, and programs. especially if I have to actually go preview them ahead of scheduling. I have just set up a standing committee called the Program Research Committee and its job description for one or more members from each state, is to create a resource file filled with all of the above information so that I or future presidents will have it all at hand when planning meeting locations. This same concept can work and help HL; and WE can be that "standing committee" for them. It is to our benefit ultimately to help them with this kind of input, in an organized way.

Which states and lighthouse areas are YOU qualified to help on? We can send them a list also of who to contact for willing onsite firsthand info.

[This message has been edited by ladylightkeeper (edited 07-07-99).]

ladylightkeeper
Re: 2001 Reunion #54648 07/11/99 06:28 PM
FrankB Offline
Another plus for the Mackinac area (or a town such as Traverse City or Sault Ste. Marie) that is within reasonable driving distance of Mackinaw City is that the Great Lakes Lighthouse Museum is scheduled to open in that town in 2001. This is also an argument (probably) against a spring time frame. It would be a shame to hold a Reunion there before the museum is open. A later date would mean it would be more likely to be held after the museum is open to the public. (Or, even better, coordinate the Reunion with the grand opening of the museum. That would certainly give the museum a fantastic turnout for their ceremony.)

FrankB
Re: 2001 Reunion #54649 07/17/99 01:18 AM
R
Russ Offline
R
Lets all say Thank You to The Youngers and their staff.
After having been to The Rhode Island Reunion I better appreciate all THE HARD WORK that it takes. I witnessed for myself how hard Bill,Nancy,Kim,their families and their Staff worked during the Reunion with only one thing in mind. That every person attending The Reunion had a GREAT time. Anyone that did not have a good time, has no one to blame but themselves. My wife and I even helped one day carry flowers back into the hotel after an event. I witnessed Bill, Nancy and Kim all work during the Reunion for the one purpose of making every effort that everyone had a good time. Many events take place everyday where that the owner(s) of a company hire people to show others a good time, But not everyday do you see them helping with the work themselves. I can tell you I did see it, and it was only so that their extended family was having a Great time. I only have one concern for the up coming Reunion, "That I can attend!". Where it is, or when it is, will be my last concern. For all those Harbour Light family members that were at the last Reunion, I am sure they will agree, just being part of such a well planned event is an experience one never forgets.
Thank You Again Bill, Nancy, Kim and Staff for a Fantastic Fun Time !!!!
Russ and Donna

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,254 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users