Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Think Global, Act Local #54503 10/30/98 12:33 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Until day before yesterday, I hadn't heard of National Lighthouse Day - declared by President Reagan. It's in August.

We don't have to wait until 2000 or 2001 for a NATIONAL Reunion, how about a local one each year?

How about organizing local "HL Collectors Reunions" on National Lighthouse Day and "Bring Your Harbour Lights Home" for the day. (You take your Wind Point HL to the Wind Point lighthouse or your Navesink to Navesink, etc.)

Organized at publically-accessible nearby lighthouses, a Sunday afternoon picnic potluck. Just like a "family reunion", but with fellow collectors rather than relatives.

Of course you don't have to go to the 'nearest' lighthouse. If you want you could plan a vacation to include being at Old Mackinac Point MI on the right day, for example.

Perhaps HL could provide an 'organization kit' to include ideas, local publicity tips, a listing of events in the Summer Legacy, name badges, etc. [MUDD again!]

But each event would be organized and operated by volunteer groups of local collectors.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Re: Think Global, Act Local #54504 10/31/98 06:59 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I like your suggestions, John. The only problem will be for those people who live in far away places that don't have any lighthouses. Many people do take vacations centered around lighthouse tours. The biggest expense will be for those who have to travel the furthest to get to a beacon. It would also need a serious commitment from a core of individuals to organize activities to make the expense worthwhile. A serious commitment would also be needed from those who plan to attend so the organizers don't get stuck with the tab for "no-shows".
A mini reunion / day at a light is a great idea with the potluck lunch. The challenge will be to get the localized HL Clubs to organize it.

Re: Think Global, Act Local #54505 10/31/98 09:12 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Sure some of us aren' lucky like you to be within an hours drive of two dozen (or more) lighthouses. For me here in Arizona, it would be a 7 hour drive to Old Point Loma. (Or an hours flight each way.)

How about a special "National Lighthouse Day 1999 Event Exclusive?" Available only that day at one of the Collector-organized "Take your Harbour Lights Home" events.

OK, maybe NOT a lighthouse, but an "official" trade show type button? Or a unique thumbnail lighthouse?

Would THAT be incentive enough?

But how could that be administered?

MUDD [Or is this quicksand?]

[This message has been edited by JChidester.]

Re: Think Global, Act Local #54506 11/02/98 01:46 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sounds wonderful to me. I live on the southern tip of Lake Michigan, lots of lighthouses, somewhat central location, hint, hint. I like to hear Mackinaw City mentioned, what a beautiful area and several nearby lights. Another hint?

Re: Think Global, Act Local #54507 11/20/98 12:23 AM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
John, I really like this idea of yours...where do I sign up to help! I could make it to the Mackinaw area too. Never heard of National Lighthouse Day, I will have to do some research on this one...does Hallmark sell any cards to send to friends for this wonderous occassion?

------------------

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: Think Global, Act Local #54508 11/20/98 02:38 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hallmark? How about Harbour Lights cards for National Lighthouse Day? Using Mark Sherman's paintings or Paul Brady's Harbour Lights photos!!

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 11-19-98).]

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,317 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users