cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Excellent addition to Harbour Lights! #532 04/05/00 08:45 AM
digitalman Offline OP
OP Offline
Does anyone else collect other Lighthouse collectibles other than Harbour Lights?

I've been collecting Harbour Lights since 1996. Within the first 4 months or so of collecting, I had purchased about 20 pieces. They were all beautiful in their own right, but looked kind of alone sitting on the display shelf. I had noticed at my local dealers that Shelias collectibles was making lighthouse pieces and that they would make an excellent backdrop for my Harbour Lights. I began purchasing these pieces as well.

Now I have a large collection of Shelias lighthouses as well that accent my Harbour Lights perfectly.

Anyone else do something similar?

Re: Excellent addition to Harbour Lights! #533 04/05/00 09:52 AM
Pat PalmerBall Offline
What are Shelias Lighthouses?
I have the HL keepers and friends as well as other miniture statues (by a competitor lighthouse co.) scattered around the lights. I was also planning on doing something with sea shells and netting but with all the lights I have and continue to buy I only have space for the lighthouse and no accessories. ...oh what to do, what to do... Guess what ever you do Digitalman will look GREAT remember what you are working with as the base.

KYKEEPER - Pat

Re: Excellent addition to Harbour Lights! #534 04/05/00 11:26 AM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Yes, I've been collecting Shelia's lights for at least two years now and they do make for interesting arrangements w/HL pieces. Shelia replicates mostly historic building facades from her native Charleston, SC (and the deep South) but has expanded to include lighthouses, national monuments, and even structures like the Space Needle in Seattle...I've also amassed a nice collection of Cheryl Spencer Collin lights, some of hers are actually better than HL, believe it or not!

Re: Excellent addition to Harbour Lights! #535 04/05/00 12:31 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
My main collection is HL's and I've been collecting them for just about 1 year. I now have 78 pieces. The only other collectible I have in the curio with my HL's are Swarovski crystal pieces that have nautical themes, I have a seahorse, crab, pearl with shell and a Crystal World Barnegat lighthouse. They make a nice contrast to the lighthouses.

Joanne

Re: Excellent addition to Harbour Lights! #536 04/05/00 02:30 PM
Art Offline
Shelia's Lighthouses I believe are those flat wooden plaque-like thingies, not 3D sculpted models like HLs.

http://www.grandio.com/plh.html
http://www.grandio.com/plh2.html
http://www.grandio.com/plh3.html

I don't collect any contemporary manufactured objects besides Harbour Lights, although I have accumulated a few Department 56 Christmas in the City series pieces to use as decorations around the house during the holidays. I don't actively pursue them with anywhere near the fervor with which I collect HLs though. I don't even really consider the D56s a collection, just stuff I buy occasionally.

I do have a pretty good collection of rare seashells and a small collection of Native American pottery pieces. Those I love and add to when I can (with left-over HL money - lol)

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Excellent addition to Harbour Lights! #537 04/05/00 10:29 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Art, it's off the subject, but have you seen any of the White Navajo art? I was in Utah a few years back and saw White and Black Navajo. I just fell in love with it. The Black was way too expensive, but I did get two White Navajo pieces. The White Navajo is not painted, it's a sort of Lenox color, but instead of painted scenes, it has carved designs.

Joanne

Re: Excellent addition to Harbour Lights! #538 04/05/00 11:01 PM
J
JULB Offline
J
I had been collecting the small Lefton 5" lighthouses which are very detailed and pretty inexpensive. I have about 20. I used to intermix them in the display with my Harbour Lights (16 of those) but after it started getting really crowded, I separated them and they now each look much better appart displayed as distinct groups.

I've decided to focus on the HL's now but I may pick up just a couple of more of the mini-Leftons because they just started releasing their first new designs for 2000 which include Diamond Head, Minots Ledge, East Quoddy, Fond-Du-Lac, Absecon, and Mukilteo, most of which are really pretty good, especially for around $10 each. They are a good match for the LLOM's (some better, some worse) but overall they don't match up at all to late model HL's with the exception of one or two cases. IMHO

JB
Re: Excellent addition to Harbour Lights! #539 04/06/00 04:28 PM
Brent Offline
I started with the Danbury Mint series called "Historic American Lighthouses" in the late 80's. I bought my first Harbour Lights in 1992 and thats all I've purchased ever since.

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Excellent addition to Harbour Lights! #540 04/06/00 10:47 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm a "purist". HLs only for me.

Bob

Re: Excellent addition to Harbour Lights! #541 04/06/00 10:52 PM
RRohweder Offline
Me too Bob. Don't have room for anything but HL's.

Rich

------------------

Re: Excellent addition to Harbour Lights! #542 04/06/00 11:38 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I have a few from other series. I got some of them as gifts (and gently made it known that while i was a LH Wacko I was partial to Harbour Lights LH's). I also have some that I got for making donations to different LH's. My wife also has purchased the Thomas Kimble LH's from Avon(She's an Avon lady anh likes his art).I've got more than enough too handle with collecting one line, let alone anything else. We also have some of the Shelia's products, but not LH's. I purchased almost the entire series of Williamsburg pieces for my wife last year as a surprise for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. I was unable to find the first three pieces.She di not mind. Dennis

[This message has been edited by wheland (edited 04-06-2000).]

Re: Excellent addition to Harbour Lights! #543 04/07/00 09:14 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Digitalman, I also collect Shelia's Lighthouses. That's a good idea to use them as a backdrop for HL figurines. I also collect the Cat's Meow Lighthouses. They each have a cat somewhere on them.(Alot easier to find than a seahorse!) The quality of Shelia's are alot better than the Cat's Meow pieces though. Shelia's have a 3D effect to them.

Re: Excellent addition to Harbour Lights! #544 04/09/00 01:18 AM
Y
youngone Offline
Y
The same day I started collecting HL's, I purchased a Jon Perry Sea Sculpture from the same place I purchased the Light. I find that they go very well with the HL peices. They are made of white resin and I placed a black light fixture into my curio in addition to the regular lighting. This way I can depict night and the white resin really stands out in the case.

Re: Excellent addition to Harbour Lights! #545 05/01/00 02:10 PM
kikigl Offline
I have been collecting Harbour Lights for a year and a half. After seeing the rest, I decided Harbour Lights were the best!
The only other lighthouse that I have purchased is St Augustine from the Danbury Mint, because I didn't think I could get the one from Harbour Lights. I am very pleased with it. The detail is really good.
Kay

Kay

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,415 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users