Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Reunion 2001:What's It To You #54469 01/28/00 01:18 AM
N
Nana Offline OP
OP Offline
N
My hope it that all of the forum participants will answer this survey on the Reunion we are all looking forward to in 2001 !**!

We all know how much we want to attend the Reunion in 2001. But...since I missed the last two, I was too wet behind the ears to realize what was happening...I need to find out some information from all of you, whether you went to the 1st and 2nd reunion or not.

Please read the list below, print it off, and contemplate your answers before you post a reply. Number your responses according to the list.

Here are the big questions.....
1. What do you truly want the 2001 Reunion to be for you, the collector of HLs.
2. What do you want to happen during the weekend festivities?
3. What do you expect to take home with you?
4. What do you want to experience? (this is not suppose to be answered like # 1 & 2.)
5. How much money are you willing to spend at such an event? Do not include your airfare, hotel, or rental car.
6. Are there anythings that happenend during the last two that you would do away with for this one?
7. Any comments pro or con are accepted here.

Don't get into location since the decision will be made in El Cajon.
Derith

[This message has been edited by Nana (edited 01-29-2000).]

Re: Reunion 2001:What's It To You #54470 01/28/00 03:26 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Per Derith's request, please limit your responses to answering her questions by referencing the numbers she has provided. Non-conforming posts in this thread will be deleted.

Re: Reunion 2001:What's It To You #54471 01/28/00 03:37 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
1. A chance to meet other collectors and the Youngers and to learn more about the product and the history of the company and lighthouses
2. Meetings, seminars, meals, limited travel to an appropriate site (lighthouse, museum, etc)
3. Great memories, more friends, a nice memento of the event - Reunion Exclusive
4. I'd like to see the event with more opportunities to learn how sculptures are made, etc.
5. In the past, Hotel expenses were part of the reunion package. I expect that we'll make our own arrangements for hotel and pay for the 'reunion events & meals' as a package. $350-$400 per person (plus hotel)
6. While Rhode Island had lots of great lighthouses to visit, I hope we don't spend a day 'on the road' (or on the water). I WOULD like to do some add-on tours of area lighthouses before and after the Reunion, however.
7. Each event was different. I expect this next one will be unlike the past two. We do need MORE time to just sit and talk with the collectors we've 'met' on line. In the 1997 and 1998, the events really ran from Friday evening to Sunday morning. It would be nice if it ran from Friday evening to Sunday evening.

Re: Reunion 2001:What's It To You #54472 01/28/00 10:09 AM
Lighthousedude Offline
1.) I would love to meet as many people that I can who I have "talked" to in these forums.

2.)Make friends, have great food, and a visit to a local lighthouse (or two!!).

3.) Saint John said it best. Great memories and a nice reunion piece.

4.) I would like to have the experience of being somewhere with a bunch of folks who love lighthouses to exchange ideas, viewpoints and experinces.

5.) $400.00 to $500.00 dollars would be a nice affordable amount.

6.) Since I'm relatively new to the whole lighthouse experience I wasn't at the last two reunions.

7.) My only comment would be the closer to home the better.

Re: Reunion 2001:What's It To You #54473 01/30/00 12:00 AM
N
Nana Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Come on forum regulars-Give this some thought and give me some feedback.
Derith

Re: Reunion 2001:What's It To You #54474 01/30/00 01:55 AM
LADYBUG Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Nana
1. a place to gather information on lighthouses and collecting harbour lights as well as a chance to meet with other collectors face to face.
2. Seminars; hands on fun such as sculpting, painting, etc. [gives a new appreciation for what goes into a harbour lights piece]; visit local lighthouses; time to visit with other collectors; lighthouse tee shirt exchange.
3. mementos of the area as well as reunion; lots of photos for the album; new found friendships; more lighthouse tee shirts and a bag full of memories.
4. people who have a common interest exchanging information, ideas and tee shirts.
5. for registration, meals, etc. probably around $300 to $350.
6. I attended both of the reunions and enjoyed each in their own specific way -- look forward to 2001 -- Younger family does a wonderful job of organizing and I would not take away anything
7. I think a lighthouse tee shirt exchange would be a lot of fun. It would be a way we could promote our own local lighthouse in another part of the country increasing awareness of the many lighthouses around the nation.

Re: Reunion 2001:What's It To You #54475 02/01/00 08:31 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
1. "Want it to be?" A time to meet fellow collectors and members of the "HL Family" "up close and personal".

2. "Happen?" I don't really know as I've never attended any such event. Some sort of informal gathering of Forum Members would be nice - before, during or after the "official event. And I guess some sort of trip to see nearby lights is the norm.

3. "Take home?" Reunion goodies, photos and memories of a really great experience!

4. "Experience?" Different than the above (gee Derith, this is tough). Is a warm and cuddly feeling acceptable???

5. "$" No set amount, whatever incidental monies is required. Although I seem to have read that during previous reunions monies were raised by auctioning various HL products. If this were to happen I doubt whether I would be able to spend too much here. The expense of travel, lodging, etc. would make quite a dent.

6. N/A

7. "Comments" I would like to see an arrangement that would allow more people to attend without jeopardizing the quality of the gathering.

Mombo
Lighthouse Sleuth

Re: Reunion 2001:What's It To You #54476 02/06/00 05:42 AM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline
L
1.A chance to meet friends from the Forum; make new friends; learn more about lighthouses and how to help save them.
2. To visit lighthouses that might not usually be accessible to an individual traveler but rather open for tour because of our group numbers. To have some serious "meat" added to the itinerary: meaning some lectures and classes on lighthouse history, lighthouse preservation; keeper's experiences -- presented by knowledgeable lighthouse authorities and historians (because of their studies or their own personal experiences with lighthouses); speakers like Ken Black of the Shore Village Lighthouse Museum in Rockland, Me, and Board member for the new Statin Island Nat. Lighthouse Museum; Preservationists such as the gentleman who was to be the speaker at the N. GA HL seminar which just got cancelled due to snow; living lighthouse keepers (Connie Small could probably furnish a taped commentary to accompany her slides (as seen by NELL this fall); and other names recommended by all of you. Serious activities to go along with the fun of a reunion.
3.I would like to take home an exclusive piece that represents a lighthouse visited during the reunion. And of course wonderful memories of a great reunion and the many great people I met.
4. I would like to meet my fellow wackos who have so enthusiastically supported our current project. Also to meet HL collectors from my NE area who I do not know yet. This would be an experience of making meaningful new friendships for ongoing communications about lighthouse topics.
5. Last year's price kept some from attending. Hopefully being able to pick one's own motel would help. And this would allow us to have more to spend on the auction; donations to lighthouses; and to buy some items at the company store. Maybe $250 each.
6.Do away with having quite so much packed into one day from early AM to late night. Make the reunion a few days longer, so that there isn't a need to pack so much in to each day; and also to allow for a greater variety of events, such as seminars. Do away with the mass group breakfasts and concentrate on just fun lunches and nice dinners (many people don't eat a big breakfast and would rather use the time elsewhere; would also cut down the price). Don't put us all into one big hotel. Let us choose from a list of accommodations and just establish group rates at various economic levels of motels and hotels. Don't try to crowd the entire reunion into one ballroom or lobby. Hold it at a larger convention center that is experienced in serving vast quantities of meals; where there is more room to spread out into separate rooms for various activities: seminars, forum get-together room; HL club room for state HL'ers to meet others to join or discuss new club formations; company store; computer room for St. John for instructions and demonstrations via digital projector onto a large screen; display room of HL products, and so on.
7. Comments: allow more people to attend so that no one has to be left out and disappointed. Set up a credit card system for members to use at the auction. More money would be made for lighthouse donations if we could bid and buy using our cards. No one likes to carry large quantities of cash with them. A chance for members to sit down and visit with members of the Younger family. I would like to see a film/video produced that would show how a HL piece is made from start to finish, in US and abroad, (without giving away any vital secrets).

------------------
ladylightkeeper

ladylightkeeper
Re: Reunion 2001:What's It To You #54477 02/06/00 02:59 PM
V
vsnlex Offline
V
Without going into detail on all 7 parts....I feel ladylightkeeper has expressed many of my feelings.
I especially like the idea of a film/video being created on the production process.
I like a choice of hotel sizes/prices too.
I am lobbying for the Michigan area as they have so many lighthouses to visit.
Detroit should be able to host 1000s and being able to cross into Canada gives a fun "international flavor.

Terry
Re: Reunion 2001:What's It To You #54478 02/06/00 07:23 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
1. I would like to put faces with names and meet with fellow forum members. The reunions are a great time to be educated about lighthouses. I would also enjoy learning about the process from the development phase to delivery of a finished product on store shelves of HL.

2. Visiting local lighthouses; guest speakers on preservation,lighthouse stories, personal experiences; and hands-on seminars. I think it would be fun to have some our forum people speak about their experiences with lighthouse work over the past years (such as Sean).

3. I love getting a HL of a lighthouse visited while at the reunion. It is always a special remembrance of the fun time spent at the reunion. I like to collect pins and post cards from lighthouses. These could be gift ideas to take home as well. Most of all a lot of great memories.

4. Gathering with people that share your same enthusiasm for lighthouses and collecting HL. Personal experiences related to lighthouses or collecting.

5. I think $350-400 is fair (excluding lodging). I like the idea of multiple choices for lodging with the main activities in a convention hall.

6. Since I don't eat breakfast, I would do away with the formal gathering for breakfast. I would leave this as optional time for people to arrange their own breakfast.

7. I would like to see the reunion be longer. I think 4 days would be nicer. I also enjoyed the add-on trips that John arranged for in Providence. This was a big bonus to the reunion! I would definately participate in these again.

Re: Reunion 2001:What's It To You #54479 02/08/00 02:13 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Derith, I was fortunate enough to be able to attend both San Diego and Providence events:

1. I want the 2001 Reunion to be a repeat of the magical 1997 San Diego experience (under 500 people, visit just a couple of nice lights HL has already created, and lots of in-hotel or on-board activities).

2. Magic, lighthouses, and laughter!

3. Good memories, a camera full of pictures, a few phone numbers or e-mail addresses of fellow collectors, and a nice limited edition piece.

4. More bonding w/fellow collectors, meet/make new friends, and have more intimate contact w/HL Staff.

5. If I've already paid my way to the Reunion, I don't want to pay for anything once I'm there...if you're asking how much I'm willing to spend to attend the Reunion, I say $750 is pushing it...

6. San Diego was a unique experience and hard to top. There were way too many people at the Providence reunion and we were rushed around to see too many lights, the quality of the event really suffered.

7. This sounds impossible to do, but HL should consider having several small gatherings in different parts of the country to satisfy everyone who wants to go...

[This message has been edited by Rock (edited 02-08-2000).]

Re: Reunion 2001:What's It To You #54480 02/08/00 03:26 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
1) Put names/nicknames from the forums with
faces. Chat with fellow lighthouse lovers.
Form new friendships and renew old ones.
See a demonstration on video and a display
of the HL creation process - from idea to
final product. Paint my own HL ornament or
Little Light either at reunion or as take
home project.

2) Love to attend an event unique to the
area, like Waterfire in Providence.
Small group gatherings by state or region
so attendees can meet attendees from their
area. Seminar on forming a HL club.

3) Pictures and memetos of the area. Maybe one of the LEs we still need for our
collection. Some HL goodies including the
reunion piece.

4) Meeting fellow LH lovers and sharing our
stories on how each of us got started on
HL collecting. Success in the drawings or
auctions. Good feeling from contributing
to LH preservation through the drawings
and auction.

5) Probably $500 - $1000 depending on auction
success.

6) Musical presentations. Formal breakfast.
Shorter lighthouse tour.

7) Add-on Lighthouse tours before or after
reunion. Credit card use for auction.
Add a day to the reunion.

------------------
Randall & Linda Ronne

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: Reunion 2001:What's It To You #54481 02/09/00 12:22 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
1. A chance to meet other HL collectors, sharing stories of lighthouse trips & great HL finds.
2. Have time to really get to know other collectors and of course, tour a lighthouse or two.
3. Photos and memories.
4. Great times with HL lovers (sorry if it's similar to 1 & 2).
5. I'm not sure what will be included so I can't set a price. I do like the idea of having several hotel options. Bottom line, we'll pay what it costs.
6. NA
7. Allow time to meet with others.

Re: Reunion 2001:What's It To You #54482 02/09/00 08:08 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
1. As most have said, a chance to meet everyone (please don't run and hide from me). Learn as much as I can about lighthouses, history and the people that made it all happen. I always wondered what lightkeepers ate?

2. Seminars, demonstrations, good food, gab sessions, good food, short road trips with long winded narrators, lots of lighthouses (within reason), and good food!

3. Mostly fond memories, reunion exclusives and if the food's good, a doggy bag.

4. I've never been to a reunion, so any experience would be enjoyable. Maybe I'd like to experience fresh lobster for a change.

5. The less the better. 2001 is my 25th wedding anniversary and my wife already has me saving for a cruise. So, needless to say my budget is going to be very limited next year. Of course when it comes to eating, I spare no expense.

7. I would like to see everyone in charge of their own hotel/motel arrangements. I want everyone to let me know where they are staying and their room # so that I can spring surprize inspections of your snack inventories. A "Fat" digger is a "Happy" digger.

Digger

[This message has been edited by Gravedigger (edited 02-09-2000).]

Re: Reunion 2001:What's It To You #54483 02/10/00 03:30 PM
jakescol Offline
Wacko
Wacko
#1: A time of pleasure and enjoyment relating to seeing Lighthouses and meeting new collectors and renewing old friendships

#2: I would like to see a Swap & Sell where collectors can have the oppurtunity to purchase hard to find items, trade or sell buttons, and clubs could sell memberships and club pins. It doesn't have to be all day, just 3-4 hours would be fine. Maybe in the evening after dinner.
I also want to be able to attend seminars, and see new product.
I would also love to have a special visit of the lighthouse that will be reunion piece. (Like climb the tower and tour the light) This really makes the piece much more meaningful.

#3: I want to take home great memories and photos of friends and lighthouses. I really enjoy the special reunion piece especially when it is limited to attendees only.

#4: I want to walk away from the event feeling that I was really able to attend something that not everyone else in the world had already done. I also want to see and visit as many lighthouses as I can, especially if it is in an area that we haven't been before.

#5: In order to keep this reunion a First Class event then I'm sure the cost will be right up there. Separate the cost of the Hotel from the renuion or at least give the attendee the option to stay at another less expensive hotel if they desire.

#6:The drum and bugle corp. (Providence)

#7:Provide early and/or late tours of nearby light houses like John did at Providence.
I also enjoyed the all day tour doing the convention both by water and by bus.

Generally speaking several collectors will have to travel some distance and incurr some expense in order to attend an event of this magnatude. It must be memorable and meaningful. Not every collector will be able to attend this type of event. However the annoucement of the reunion must give the collector plenty of time to make plans for such and event.

Jake Toering

Re: Reunion 2001:What's It To You #54484 02/10/00 03:45 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
1 - Unique Experience
2 - Great time
3 - Great experience
4 - Meet all the great people at HL, the Chats and the Forums that I have electronically communicated with during the past 1 1/2 years. See lots of lighthouses before, during, and after.
5 - I would think we'll get what we pay for! I don't mind paying a little more to do things the right way!
6 - Never been but chomping at the bit. I guess "make it big enough so that I have a chance to attend"
7 - Decide soon on the who, what, where and when?

------------------
Long Island BOB

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 02-10-2000).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Reunion 2001:What's It To You #54485 02/11/00 03:53 PM
H
Henry J Hupp Offline
H
1. A chance to meet fellow wackos and other forum members and also to meet the HL family members again. A place to get info on lighthouses and HL collecting.
2. Visit a few lighthouses in a half day. Seminars on preservation, lighthouse history etc. Time to meet friends.
3. Memories, lots of photos, a reunion exclusive.
4. Meet wackos, fellow collectors from my area, a presentaion live or video about the HL lighthouse process from start to finished piece.
5. About $200 per person. That plus hotel, travel and car adds up to enough for a couple.
6. Do not spend a whole day visiting lighthouses, a half day can be enough. If time and pocketbook allow extra pre and post tours can then be available. Substitute continental breakfasts in several locations instead of all gathering at one time and place. Do not have everyone in one hotel, a choice of hotel-motel accomodations, especially at lower prices will help those on tight budgets.
7. Let more people attend but still try to maintain the warm friendly family feeling. Set aside a lounge type room for forum registrants to meet and be able to connect faces with names.

Henry J Hupp(foghornkeeper)

[This message has been edited by Henry J Hupp (edited 02-11-2000).]

foghornkeeper
Re: Reunion 2001:What's It To You #54486 02/20/00 09:36 PM
J
jimirwin Offline
J
my answres to the quiz
1 The opportunity to be with a group of warm, friendly,and wholesome people. HL collectors are some of the nicest people I have met.
2 I want to have a great time being with a lot of other people having a great time.
3 More knowledge of Harbour Lights, and lighthouses in general. I like making more freinds and that will hapen. I like to return home with that special feeling that only happens after an event accomplishes every thing in answere #2
4 a trip to a lighthouse or 2.
5 $700.00
6 A shorter day trip, and maybe a seminar or two.
7 Beleave me, the last reunion was as close to perfection as can be imagined, so if nothing changed, ti would still be a five star event

The real spirit of the reunion is set by the attendees, however, what the Youngers, and the entire Harbour Lights staff contribute makes a reunion one of those happenings in life that you never forget. Every memory I have from the last reunion is good.

------------------
JIM "POPZ" IRWIN

JIM "POPZ" IRWIN

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,213 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users