Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Hams to Baltimore" #54422 04/04/01 03:05 AM
L
lightbear Offline OP
OP Offline
L
One of my "other" hobbies is Amateur Radio so I thought I'd post the question to see if there are any more of us out there that enjoy both hobbies. So.....

ARE THERE ANY LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS THAT ARE HAMS GOING TO BALTIMORE?????

Keepin' the Flame, Rich WA6WLA

Re: "Hams to Baltimore" #54423 04/04/01 10:51 PM
BGBaccaro Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Hi Rich,

Yes I'll be at the Reunion in Baltimore and look forward to meeting another Ham. Perhaps we can do an on-the air QSO before Baltimore rolls around. I wonder how many other forum participants are Hams that are not going to the Reunion?

Bruce, K2ULZ

Re: "Hams to Baltimore" #54424 04/06/01 02:42 AM
L
Lamplighter Offline
L
Hi Bruce,

I hope that we can find more of us on the forum too. I know that there are more lighthouse hams out there as there is a a website for the "Amateur Radio Light House Society", at arlhs.com. They like to do events at lighthouses like the DX contests and try for QSL cards from lighthouses around the world. They even have a list of lighthouses open to the public where they set up for contacts. I'm not pushing this, mind you, but I found the websight interesting. One of their goals is to preserve lighthouses but they sure didn't show how they do it. A little disappointing.

I will be looking forward to meeting you at Baltimore. Maybe we can set up a sked next week on 15m as soon as I get my rig set up again!! My station is entirely mobile, from 40m to 440 uhf. FUN! Keep in touch and we'll see if we can drum up a few more lurkers!!!

73's, Rich WA6WLA

Re: "Hams to Baltimore" #54425 04/06/01 01:45 PM
BGBaccaro Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Hi Rich,

Tnx for the info about the Amateur Radio site on lighthouses. I was aware of the special events stations but not sure when or from where they operated. I'll take a look at that site to see what's there.

Sked sounds good; would you prefer CW or fone? I have a vertical and dipole set up for 15 mtrs, but no beam (later this year). There is problem here with local restrictions on tower erection, (primarily to keep cell phone towers from popping up everywhere) so I am thinking about a "Hex-Beam", that I recently discovered, on a 35 foot mast rather than a conspicuous tower that requires a building permit, etc.

Baltimore sounds exciting, and I look forward to seeing you there.

In the meantime, let's see if we can make contact after you get set up. I just revamped my shack, so should be in good shape to QSO if conditions OK. Right now, I think weekends are probably best for me...how about you?

73, Bruce, K2ULZ

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 929 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users