Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A WACKO Reunion #54096 05/09/00 02:21 AM
JJ Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Sean Thompson has brought up the idea of a wacko reunion in the event that the Harbour Lights reunion is run as a split reunion in one form or another. See: http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum13/HTML/000023.html
What do you think?

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54097 05/09/00 10:04 AM
T
TERRY BARFIELD Offline
T
I think a Wacko reunion would be great. Terry p.s.: How many posts left for me?

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54098 05/09/00 10:18 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Count me in!
Reunion is great but mini-Wacko get togethers is a terrific idea!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: A WACKO Reunion #54099 05/09/00 10:34 AM
Brent Offline
....excellent idea!!

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: A WACKO Reunion #54100 05/09/00 10:49 AM
Torchbearer Offline
A Wacko reunion is a wonderful idea. Sean... thanks for the great suggestion (but then, Sean is a Coastie!). JJ... thanks for passing it on! It would be a lot of fun meeting the fellow Wackos who post here.

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54101 05/09/00 02:45 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
A wacko reunion would be nice whether there are two reunions or one.

------------------
Randall Ronne

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: A WACKO Reunion #54102 05/10/00 12:50 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
A Wacko Gathering (would this be legal in all states?) would promise many enjoyable times and memories for our extended Forum Family. The size of the group would be more manageable than a full scale reunion. Perhaps we could start with one in 2002 in the Great Lakes area (Michigan/Wisconsin)!

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 05-09-2000).]

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54103 05/10/00 04:26 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Let's charter the HL Yacht and sail the Erie Canal to Mombo's for our WACKO reunion.

So if it's a gaggle of geese and a covey of quail, what do you call a group of WACKOs?

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54104 05/10/00 08:02 AM
Brent Offline
"Wave of Wacko's"

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: A WACKO Reunion #54105 05/10/00 10:34 AM
Art Offline
Quote:
...what do you call a group of WACKOs?

I submit to you:

A 'whoop' of Wackos.

From Webster:

1whoop "hup, "hup, "hwup, "hwup, "wup, "wup\ verb [ME whopen, fr. MF houpper, of imit. origin] (14c)
verb intransitive
1 : to utter a whoop in expression of eagerness, enthusiasm, or enjoyment : shout
{A reaction to the introduction of the latest Harbour Lights models.}
2 : to utter the cry of an owl : hoot
3 : to make the characteristic whoop of whooping cough
4 a : to go or pass with a loud noise {Wackos during a Reunion.}
b : to be rushed through by acclamation or with noisy support (the bill whooped through both houses){Bill whooped through both (light)houses.}{Bill whooped through signing events in three cities today.}
verb transitive
1 a : to utter or express with a whoop {What "LOL" sounds like on the other end.}
b : to urge, drive, or cheer on with a whoop {The usual and expected reaction to Bill Harnsburger's latest review.}
2 : to agitate in behalf of {e.g., The Wish List Forum.}
3 : raise, boost (whoop up the price){Secondary market activity.}
(C)1997, 1996 Zane Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved. {with appologies to Zane}

Several of these seem to describe our behavior at one time or another.

------------------
-Art
[This message has been edited by Art (edited 05-10-2000).]

-Art
Re: A WACKO Reunion #54106 05/10/00 10:37 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
what do you call a group of WACKOs?

I call them a group of my friends, John.

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: A WACKO Reunion #54107 05/10/00 01:56 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
OOOOhhhhhhh Paul! tic
"You really love us" lol

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: A WACKO Reunion #54108 05/10/00 09:32 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
I think a "Wacko" gathering would be a fine idea. Put my name on the list. Florida would be a great place to visit for all "Wackos".

What do you call a group of Wackos? Fine Folks!

Derith

[This message has been edited by Nana (edited 05-10-2000).]

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54109 05/11/00 12:35 AM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Art I love it....a 'whoop of WACKO's' you've got my vote
I think a WACKO reunion sounds terrific and the Great Lakes would be a GREAT place to have it.....what about the Door County area?

The only problem I can remember in Providence were the elivators got a little tied up at times. But on the whole...HL ran a fast tight ship and kept things going quite smoothly for the number of persons that attended. I hope that we have one reunion next year, I would hate to miss out seeing some of the very special friends Larry and I made in Providence

Kat

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: A WACKO Reunion #54110 05/11/00 01:44 AM
LADYBUG Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
if it's a WACKO reunion you want in the Puget Sound area -- I'm your WACKO -- sounds like a wonderful idea -- we've got a number of lighthouses in this area that could be easily visited over the weekend; and then if you wanted to continue on -- OREGON lighthouses could be done in two or three more days and then why stop there on to CALIFORNIA -- oops am I getting carried away -- or have I just gone WACKO over the sounds of a reunion where I can put faces with names

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54111 05/11/00 03:22 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
A "wacko" reunion sounds like a lot of fun. I would be happy to attend any place it could be held. It would be fun to go to Michigan since it sounds like the HL gang has eliminated that area as a reunion site.

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54112 05/11/00 03:55 PM
Sunshine Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Count me in for a wacko reuion. Puget Sound looks like it could be interesting. Also San Francisco. Anywhere would be fine with me.

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54113 05/12/00 01:14 PM
Rock Online
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
A WACKO union sounds great (don't you have to have more than one to be a RE-union?)...and by the way, Providence had more problems than just busy elevators, the quality of the events (and the food) suffered from trying to cram too many people into one hotel/banquet room/tent...HL would be wise to raise the price and severely limit the number of attendees if they want to keep the reunion special...or better yet, rent a 50,000 seat stadium w/concessions somewhere and have a weekend-long exhibition on the playing field...that's the only way they're going to please everyone who wants to attend...

[This message has been edited by Rock (edited 05-12-2000).]

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54114 05/12/00 04:14 PM
DeDo Offline
I would love to attend a Wacko reunion. I have enjoyed meeting the several Wackos and putting faces with names this past year.

I keep getting the sneaky feeling that the regular reunion will close out so quickly that I and many other HL people will be left out.

A reunion is a great reason to take a few vacation days, hop a plane and enjoy visiting lighthouses with other Wackos.

I envy everyone that made it to Atlanta, and the Cape Hattaras sounds great but we are taking two cars the Thursday or Friday before that weekend to pick up college son & belongings. Both times my husband said why don't you go, but we have the family situations.

So, my hope is that a Wacko reunion will allow all who wish to attend to do so.

Donna

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54115 05/12/00 08:35 PM
RFoster Offline
The idea of a wacko reunion is unique and one that could be attended by all wackos from home, since all wackos have computers.

All that is needed is a video camera hooked up to the computer. We would all meet in some "super video-room" (similar to a chatroom but with sound and live pictures). Instead of putting money out for airline tickets you could purchase the necessary equipment to do this and have enough left over for one or two Harbour Lights.

Heck, there could even be a photo contest (live) and the entries can be held up for all to see around the country.

The menu would be whatever each of us had in the house at the time. The only problem that I can foresee is how to get the "event exclusive picture" signed by the great saint JC. Maybe John could scan a signed copy and we could all print them out on our home printers (this would be cause for color variations which may make some pictures worth more than others).

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: A WACKO Reunion #54116 05/12/00 09:18 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Ron's good idea reminds me of a cheaper version - Microsoft Comic Chat. You can download this program free from MS. Then you enter a chat room in which each person is a comic character and baloons appear over your head with the messages you type. Not sure how it would work with a room full of say, 50 Wackos, but it might be interesting if anybody wants to try it with a dozen or so.
http://support.microsoft.com/support/default.asp?SD=SO&PR=iex&RLD=15

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54117 05/13/00 12:04 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
heck, I enjoy a Wacko reunion every morning when I wake up and look in the mirror... but folks still ask me about the balloon. ;->
[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 05-12-2000).]

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54118 05/31/00 11:05 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko

Are you sure you want this guy in your house?

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54119 06/01/00 12:00 AM
Brent Offline
!! O.K....who let the Digger out?

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: A WACKO Reunion #54120 06/07/00 12:11 AM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline
L
Let's bring this topic of a wacko reunion back to life and under the spotlight some more.

Yes, I really think there should be a wacko reunion each time there is a big HL reunion --- that is when most wackos will be gathered together in one locale.

But how about also having mini wacko reunions each year when or wherever there is an HL regional. Instead of just collectors coming from the immediate area, let's expand the wacko presence by coming from a larger radius around the central location. That would be better than having no wacko get-togethers at all, and would at least let those wackos from that bigger radius get to know each other. It would be nice if a group of wackos near a regional would volunteer to organize a day of activities before the regional and a dinner maybe after also.

See the postings on the HL Regional and store events. I have suggested wackos list their names under the regional(s) they will be attending this year and whether they would come earlier for a wacko get together.

I have a comment for ROCK on his 5/12 posting. THe Harbour Lights Rhode Island reunion DEFINITELY did NOT suffer from large attendance (except for the unfortunate elevator situation). I have been to many large conventions -- over 3000 attendees--- and this one of 700 that HL ran was the best I have ever attended. The events went off in fine order; the trips were well organized and all had a good time; the food was delicious (well above the usual food one gets at a large gathering); the extra perks and prizes were generous; and the Younger family and staff made themselves present and a part of the reunion, mingling with all of us for the whole weekend. I don't think it could have been better; and after talking to many who attended, I heard no major complaints other than the elevators. The worst thing that could happen would be to raise the price and limit those who could afford to attend; and to curtail the numbers who would be able to register. This elitist attitude will not promote the good feelings we all have towards our hobby. We should all be able to equally enjoy our collecting hobby by being able to sign up to attend.

Keep the Flame and hope to see some wackos in Milwaukee at the regional.

------------------
ladylightkeeper

ladylightkeeper
Re: A WACKO Reunion #54121 06/07/00 02:21 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
How about we really go out into left field - a Wacko cruise. Now that there are some cruise ships on the GL, start in Chicago go up the east coast of Lake Michigan to Mackinaw , head across the UP and come back down the western shore.

From the very far reaches of the ball park,
Dave

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54122 06/07/00 03:54 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
The HL yacht automatically stops at the home of all Wackos as well as all lighthouses. If you are land-locked you will have to jump on the Selkirk van and transfer. Don't forget to ask for your slip. If you live near the Mississippi you will have to book passage on the Delta Queen to La. where Lamar will put you up if you arrive ahead of schedule.

Refreshments will be furnished by the Pig Man and I.O. who will serve burgers and dogs. The burgers will be medium and the dogs blackened, no exceptions please. Jaker's mom will make chocolate chip cookies for dessert. Everyone else bring a dish to pass.

Bob M will be the official greeter.

Paul will be bartender/photographer. He will sell limited edition group pictures in order to finance the purchase of a replacement shirt. St. John will ensure that everyone is correctly identified so it may take longer to get your pictures than the next Legacy.

Fred, the Ancient Mariner, will be on board to regale us with yarns of yore.

Rod will be trip narrator, you are guaranteed to see many lights you've never heard of. He will also point out architectural gems along the way.

Tim, Mark and Art will be recreation directors. Don't forget to bring your glove and a dictionary if you want to understand the rules. Name That Tune, Lightning Rod Counting and various mind games are sure to be on the menu.

Time permitting we will stop by a few retail stores for R@R Rick.

Anyone who says glow during the course of the trip will have KP duty.

The yacht will depart California, with Capt "Beav" Thompson at the helm, travel north to Washington, making a U-turn south and proceed east through the Panama Canal. It will continue up to Texas and points east. Rounding the tip of Florida it will travel the inland waterway proceding north up the Hudson River to the Hudson-Athens Lighthouse. Everyone who says "WOW" three times will be entitled to a five minute tour and a 10 minute potty break. Retracing our route south the yacht will jog east to Long Island and the New England States. From there it will enter the St. Lawrence Seaway where we will make another stop at Sisters Island Lighthouse. Should we tell the owners we're coming or just show up? Proceeding west to Oswego, it then will take a southern swing down the Oswego River to the Erie Canal and proceed westerly to Buffalo. From there it will continue through the rest of the Great Lakes.

Reservations are not required. If you want to jump aboard just tie a balloon on your mailbox, stand out front wearing your Wacko pin and hang 3 cameras and binoculars around your neck.

There is no limit to the number attending. However pets are not allowed. Rates will be based on how many miles you log and how many cookies you eat. If you catch a virus you will be sent to the brig.

The special event piece will our course be an Anchor Bay HL Yacht on a plywood base, shrink wrapped in pink saran wrap. BY will engrave them with a specially equiped dremel tool.

Please take a few moments before disembarking to complete the evaluation form and return them to ladylightkeeper.

Enjoy the ride!

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 06-07-2000).]

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54123 06/07/00 12:54 PM
LamarB Offline
Great itinerary mombo! I'll need 24 hours advance notice please for visitor accomodations; all are welcome. We can then rendezvous with the HL Yacht just beyond the mouth of the river and see quite a few offshore lights.

Another plus to cruising on the HL Yacht is that seasickness will not be an issue. At the first sign of rough weather we can go UNDER it.

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54124 06/07/00 01:24 PM
Rock Online
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
OK ladylightkeeper, you are entitled to your opinion about Providence, I am entitled to mine...you obviously did not talk to EVERYONE at Providence, neither did I...those I did hang out with were stuck in long lines at the elevators, forced to find cramped seating in the back of the dining room with plates of tepid food (even though we were not late to breakfast), and had to crack and eat our lobster in an overly crowded tent with people constantly bumping knees, elbows, and tables...I never said the reunion was a failure and that HL did a poor job but, compared to San Diego, Providence was a bit disappointing because of the crowds...maybe you think I have an "elitist attitude" but before you scratch my other eye out, just remember that HL asked for honest comments from Providence attendees...I merely provided them with some...

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54125 06/07/00 03:35 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Mombo, my balloon is on the mailbox. Wouldn't that be a great trip?

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: A WACKO Reunion #54126 06/07/00 05:14 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Whoa there, let's not be feuding with each other over the Reunion fora. I'm sure everyone who attended the last reunion or any other HL event has a unique opinion on its high points and/or low points. The opinions expressed by those willing to state them should not be debated as they represent the way these individuals perceived the event.

Praise, constructive criticism, suggestions might better be directed to Harbour Lights as they attempt to plan the next Reunion. With the differing responses to the "questionaire" they obviously will not be able to please everyone but they will no doubt do the best they can. What more can anyone ask?

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54127 06/07/00 06:16 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have plenty of fresh meat "laying" around here if you need some for a BBQ. (cut away the mold and it's good as new). :0

DIGGER (sicker than ever)

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54128 06/07/00 06:40 PM
Art Offline
Very funny, mombo. I got a good chuckle out of your itinerary. For entertainment, let's not forget the always-fun game of "My philosopher can beat up your philosopher."

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: A WACKO Reunion #54129 06/07/00 10:51 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Digger, if that's your idea for a "covered dish" we will have to bury it at sea!

The position of Lighthouse Spotter is still available. Dave H, would you be willing to serve in that capacity? It would mean tying you to the crow's nest, possibly upside down over the rail !

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54130 06/08/00 02:32 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Mombo,
I spent too many years as a spook. We're not allowed outside. We work better in rooms with no windows and lots of toys. However, I do appreciate you thinking of me.

Has the HL Yacht been inspected by our Coasties (Rich, Torch & Sean) for seaworthiness & compliance with all applicable regs etc?

Headed out to tie a balloon onto my mailbox (its on the porch, just down from my Point Porch LH),
Dave

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54131 06/08/00 10:37 AM
Torchbearer Offline
Dave and Mombo... the USCG is cutting back on it's number of inspections now. But for you... we can do it as a freebie! Being "deck apes", I'm sure Rich, Sean and myself can make rounds while we are underway to check water tight integrity, and make sure there is no "running rust".

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54132 06/08/00 02:33 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Most serious problem I see is to keep everyone from running to one side of the vessel for photos. Even Paul might have a problem getting a LH photo from the ocean floor. We'll have to have a few volunteers with billy clubs assigned to crowd control. We certainly don't want to have another Titanic. If worse comes to worse remember Women and Children first. (Now where have I heard that before? )

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54133 06/08/00 03:33 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Well Sue, as a seasoned veteran of a recent cruise with 375 people, I can assure you that the Captain turns the boat around so both sides of the boat have the perfect photo opportunity.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: A WACKO Reunion #54134 06/08/00 11:58 PM
Torchbearer Offline
Sue... being the gentleman that I am, and still open the door for my wife after 22 years of marriage, I can say this one thing... when she starts to sink, chivalry is out the door! It's all for none, and none for all. Just kidding! LOL

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54135 06/09/00 02:01 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Quote:
...I can assure you that the Captain turns the boat around so both sides of the boat have the perfect photo opportunity.

Bob, that just means twice the problems- everyone runs starboard for a pic, the skipper turns the boat around, then everyone rushes port for another photo. With this crew you will probably have more cameras per person (cpp) than the average cruise!

Speaking of the skipper, will this be just a 3 hour cruise?

Looking forward to the Great Mombo Exceptional Lighthouse Trip, Done for Our Wackos and Newbies (MELT DOWN)

Dave

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54136 06/10/00 02:41 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Due to the overwhelming response received for the trip and to ensure safety for all, I contacted a down and out shipbuilder to see if he could help us out.

Here is what he came up with:
http://www.cunard.com/index.cfm?method=cfleet&ship=PQM&content=home&Lang=us

Re: A WACKO Reunion #54137 06/10/00 03:04 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
It will be a few years before this is available, so we have plenty of opportunity to plan. Can this thing get into the Great Lakes? I know there are cargo ships of this size. Perhaps our shipping correspondent Jakers can provide some insight.

Dave

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,415 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users