Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5332 01/10/04 09:02 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Okay, Okay, I know this is a little late, but what are your Lighthouse Resolutions for 2004? What lights/regions do you want to see? What events do you want to participate in? Which "Big Lighthouse Project" do you want to start/complete?

As for me...

I'd love to get to Maine and Delaware this year. Cape Cod for HFL would be nice too, but we may be busy. We'll have to see!

I'd also like to do the MD Challenge, which we skipped last year due to all the "might be open" statements in the brochure. Much kicking of myself was done when I realized that I could have climbed three new towers, and seen and entered a fourth. UGH!

As for the big project...I would like to launch my website, Lighthouse Tours Central, during Q1 or Q2. To do this, I'll need to get tours built for RI, Lake Ontario, the OBX, and NJ, and finish off a few other features for the site. Much work to do! I'd also like to give tours at Sea Girt over the summer.

So...those are MY goals...what are yours?

Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5333 01/10/04 09:08 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Back to Maine again for the umpteenth year in a row. Love that State! I would like to get out to some of the offshore lights that I've been missing for several years. Other than that I would just like to visit every lighthouse in New England that I can get to.

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5334 01/10/04 09:39 PM
Shirin Offline
Here is what I have planned so far:

NELL LH, HC & You - Jan 31
Lake Ontario Lights w/best friend in CO - Easter Weekend
Headlights for Lighthouses - May
NELL trip to Maine - June
Rochester Lighthouses on Parade Event - June/July
Lake Superior Lighthouse Cruises - August
MD Lighthouse Challenge as Volunteer - September
NJ Lighthouse Callenge as Sandy Hook Volunteer - October
OBLHS event at Cape Lookout - October

Plus to be scheduled:
Annisquam light
Tour Portsmouth Harbor Light
Volunteer at Harbor of Refuge at least once
See 56 new lights to bring my total to 300 lighthouses seen

Shirin
Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5335 01/10/04 09:54 PM
eskilady Offline
You have have some great plans for the coming year! Can I stowaway in your luggage and come too? I do have some plans for this year - not as ambitious as you'all but still somethings I haven't done before. With Beaconfollower in VA, I hope to get down to visit her and see some of the lights down there and maybe even get down as far as NC. Hope to get down to FL and see some there too - another trip. Who knows where else I will get - when I win the lottery!! laugh

Eskilady

Eskilady
Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5336 01/10/04 10:01 PM
Shirin Offline
The way I look at my situation is that I better get in all the lighthouse trips I can before I have a house to worry about fixing up or a family to take care of. With my apartment and just a boyfriend to deal with I have a lot of flexibility when it comes to my free time. Who knows what will happen in the future!

Shirin
Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5337 01/11/04 02:10 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I always seem to add some lighthousing throughout the year that I didn't start out the year planning but...this is what I have scheduled so far:

Feb.-Virgin Islands-I don't know if there are any major lighthouses but I plan to look

March-FL-Cape Florida, Hillsboro & Jupiter; Belize, Mexico, & Grand Cayman

May-Door County, WI for the WACKO gathering laugh and all lighthouses down the Lake Michigan coast ending at Grosse Point, IL

June-Spain, Italy & Greece-there are lots of lighthouses in Greece

Wish list:
Drive the Oregon coast
Attend the OBX weekend in Oct.

Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5338 01/11/04 04:29 AM
Mike Hershberger Offline
First, to visit the OBX for the first time, which I'm planning for October right now...

Second, two major lighthouse cruises, the Lk. Superior one Shirin mentioned, and the GLLKA St. Mary's river cruise, both in August.

Third, staying on Beaver Island off of Charlevoix, MI where they have 2 lights on the island, and numerous other offshore lights close by. (another boat trip) This will probably be in early June.

That's the biggies for right now, can't wait to get started.

Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5339 01/11/04 03:48 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I think this is going to be a fairly light year for Lighthouses.

I'll be going on the NELL LH's Hot Chocolate and you the end of January.

I'm going to Florida in March for the Regional. I'll be in the Keys then up the coast to St. Augustine. I'll get to as many as possible that I missed on my last Florida trip.

I'll be taking a Land tour/Cruise in Alaska in late june / early July. I plan on spending several days in the Vancouver and Seattle areas via Victoria and will get to some Lighthouses there

I hope to get to LI in September for the Beacons Of The Night Cruise.

I want to try and do the Maryland Lighthouse Challenge this year. I plan on volunteering at the NJ Lighthouse Challenge this year after missing last year's for the first time.

I'm going to try and volunteer at Sandy hook this year as a Greeter instead of a Tour Guide.

I'm going to get to a North Carolina Lighthouse one of these days- not sure if I can swing it this year, though.

Guess it wasn't as light as I thought when I started this post.

Dennis

Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5340 01/11/04 04:18 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Dennis, your lighthousing plans for the year sound pretty full. I hope to see you here & there, and Hooray! for the Wacko badges!

If you can work NC into your planning, please try for our main event of the year which will take place the weekend of Oct. 23 with planned events earlier in the week for those who can.

This will be at Morehead City/Harkers Island/Cape Lookout.

No matter what, I wish you a healthy year full of all the things that matter to you the most!

Judy smile

Judy
Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5341 01/11/04 04:43 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm trying to work a trip in to southern CA sometime before March. Never been to LA Harbor. Would like to drive up to Pt. Conception as I will be staying near Newport Beach with friends. A return to Pt. Loma is a must too.

In May, I'm also attending the WACKO gathering in Door County. Planning to hit some Wisconsin lights up the shore I haven't seen.

July brings a trip to PA for a Mopar show (gotta compromise with the hubby somewhere!) Maybe I can persuade him to stop by an Ohio light or two...since the only one I've been to there is Marblehead.

August is Superior Lighthouse Cruise.

September I am photographing a wedding in Souteast Michigan. Might try to work some Detroit lights in that trip.

October is my biggie. I'm taking a week long nature photopgraphy workshop in Munising/Pictured Rocks area. Of course, trips to Crisp Point and Au Sable will be in there! I sure would love to go to Grand Island and see the North Channel light, but since it's private... frown

Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5342 01/11/04 08:27 PM
Beaconfollower Offline
I'm hoping to see all the lighthouses on Chesapeake Bay and maybe venture to Florida, where my daughter has moved, to catch a few there.
Just need spring to get here so my traveling buddy, Eskilady, can get out of frozen Upstate New York and help with the driving!! laugh

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5343 01/11/04 11:35 PM
Mike Hershberger Offline
Jen, is your workshop with Rod Planck??? If so it should be fun, I took one of his seminars. If not, it should be fun anyway, hard to go wrong if you're taking pictures up there !!!!!

Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5344 01/12/04 06:04 PM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Our plans as of now:

January - Hawaii (lights of Oahu, Maui & Molokai)
February - Arizona & Palm Desert (Arizona lights!)
March - St. Augustine (Amelia Island & JAX lights)
April - Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (Lights?)
May - Door County (Lake Michigan lights and inland lake lights)
June - Lake Erie & Ontario from Ashtabula to the St. Lawrence
June or July - watching for good deals on trips to China; would like land/cruise (Yangtze) combo
August - Isle Royale & Keewanau WACKO cruises and Lake Superior lighthousing from Marquette, MI to the west (Minnesota)
September - looking for a timeshare week in New England, preferably along the coast of Maine.
Summer - South Bass Island, Cedar Point & Cleveland

Beyond that, who knows....... We'll see how it goes.

We are heading off to Hawaii tomorrow AM.

Dan

Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5345 01/12/04 08:02 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Dan,

Have fun in Hawaii!

Don't forget to report to use when you get back.

Looks like a busy year for you.

Dennis

Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5346 01/12/04 08:57 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm stating a little closer to home this year. Gonna try and "finish" Michigan, all thats left for us is the east coast between Mackinaw City like Alpena. Going to the Door COunty walk this year, and plan on making the lighthouse festival in October in Alpena. Plus maybe a trip to South Bass in Ohio and anything else we can think of along the way.

Mike

Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5347 01/12/04 09:57 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Hershberger:
Jen, is your workshop with Rod Planck??? If so it should be fun, I took one of his seminars. If not, it should be fun anyway, hard to go wrong if you're taking pictures up there !!!!!
Hey Mike!

I've heard of Ron. I think he's based out of Paradise. No, this is with John and Barbara Gerlach. You can view their website here:

Gerlach Nature Photography

Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5348 01/12/04 11:13 PM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Dan & Carol,

Can we carry your bags? ? ? ?

You have our address for the Hawaiian lighthouse postcard.....correct????

Have a good time ! cool

Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5349 01/12/04 11:13 PM
Larry Offline
It starting to look like Maine again when school lets out in June! laugh

I need to start mapping it out now.

Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5350 01/13/04 12:53 PM
Brent Offline
1. Try to make it up to New England this year and visit atleast 20 new lights.(no dates yet)
2. Go into atleast 4 classrooms and teach LH history to 4th & 5th Graders (spring & fall on OBX and in VA)
3. OBX in May
4. Possible trip to Michigan in summer (no dates yet)
5. OBX in October

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5351 01/13/04 01:07 PM
bonnebert Offline
Here's what is planned so far. Winter Lights at Calvert Marine Museum, Solomon's Island January 17th-18th. March we are going to the Regional at St. Augustine, and since we are driving because Robert doesn't like to fly, we will hit as many lighthouses as we can in South Carolina and Georgia going and returning home. September we will be working the Maryland Lighthouse Challenge, hopefully back at Piney Point. October we plan to attend the OBX outing to Cape Lookout. The CCUSLHS is tentatively planning a trip to Rhode Island and we hope to also do that trip. We have been thinking, with good weather, of driving down to the Roanoke River Replica.

And who knows what, and where else we will go or be during the year. Sometimes it's spur of the moment decisions.

Joyce

Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5352 01/13/04 09:14 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
January - Winter Lights at Solomons Island
April - a car trip to either Massachusetts or New York State along Lake Ontario and Lake Erie
August - Suzanne Murphy's Trip to the Keewaunaw Penisula and Grand Royale Isle plus some other lights in Michigan's UP
September - Maryland Lighthouse Challange volunteer. Actually I'm in charge of the Challange so I'll be working on that all year.

Robert

Re: Your LIGHTHOUSE New Year's Resolutions #5353 02/03/04 06:27 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi,
my plans are somewhat in the air, but want to complete the Florida Lighthouses. Cape St. George, St. John's Lightstation (the one facing the Atlantic) and Carysfort.
In February we will get to visit Boca Chita (a faux lighthouse) and get a closer look at Fowey Rocks (saw it from Cape Florida last year but this is a boat trip, so better pictures and view).
Where ever we go on vacation it will include some lighthouses. cool smile
Take care

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,425 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users