cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthouses and religon #492 05/21/99 11:59 PM
drwhok9 Offline OP
OP Offline
I could not find any place I thought this message would go so I will try a new topic heading. I hope my thoughts here do not offend anyone - if they do I am sorry.

I was in a local Christian book store the other day and was amazed at all the lighthouse related items they had for sale with and without religous references printed on them. Then I thought of all the people collecting lighthouse related items and the increased interest in lighthouses in general in the past few years and wondered if there was some connection. Maybe all the people interested in lighthouses are also seeking an interest in some form of religion. I seems to me that the two can go hand in hand very easily. I know I am going back to that store and adding some of their lighthouses to my collection of lighthouses and religious items.

I am not an overly devote Christian, I am working on being a better Christian than I am, but these thoughts just came over me as I entered the store and saw shelf after shelf filled with lighthouses.

Are there any other thoughts on this matter? Again I hope I have not offended anyone and I hope I have not been too forward in starting a new discussion.

Jim - in Wixom Mi.

Jim
Dr. Who ?
Re: Lighthouses and religon #493 05/22/99 01:15 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Not to worry, Jim. Your thoughts and posts are very welcome.

Just recently I went to Mass with my wife in Bardstown, KY. We were in town to go to a Bill Younger signing and do some HL Lighthousing on the way back home. It was Palm Sunday and the Cathedral was jammed packed. We found an empty seat where one user usually sits and we wedged ourselves in the pew. Once I got as comfortable as I could, I looked around at the beautiful surroundings and lo and behold on the stained glass window, in line with our pew, was a gorgeous lighthouse. It was very fitting. I thought that it was a message for this lighthouse nut about the ultimate lighthouse.

Paul L Brady

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Lighthouses and religon #494 05/22/99 01:41 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome --

A few summers back, I substituted in a Sunday School class of 2nd Graders. I brought along a Harbour Lights. When I asked if any of them knew what it was, most did not -- to be expected when you live in Arizona.

When I explained about the beam of light, one of them said it was "so the keeper could see the ships at sea."

"No," I said, "it was so the ships at sea could see the lighthouse and be guided away from danger or towards home."

"Kind of like God," I said. "If you want God's help, you must look towards the light. God can see you, but you have to see the light to be saved."

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 05-21-99).]

Re: Lighthouses and religon #495 05/22/99 02:45 AM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
yes, there is a great interest in lighthouses in religion. I know of one organization who tries to lead people out of cults that uses the word lighthouse as part of their name. I have also noticed a number of magazines advertising collectible plates that have lighthouses alone, or with angels.

yes, a lighthouse can be a powerful symbol. maybe those of us who love and collect them already know that.

keep the flame!

Chris G
Re: Lighthouses and religon #496 05/23/99 12:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Jim,

Do you know the old hymn, "I Thank God for the Lighthouse"?

All of the Christian bookstores around here have similar items with lighthouses in them. For Christmas I received the most beautiful picture of a lighthouse in a storm tossed sea and the robed arms of Jesus reaching down around the lighthouse. Knowing that He is also reaching down to help us at all times is a source of strength. I also found some notecards that read
" May the light of the Lord bless you."

Thank you for your post.

Derith

Re: Lighthouses and religon #497 05/23/99 01:46 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Our church recently hired an Assistant Pastor to work with our youth. The first Sunday she did a kid's message she used a picture of a lighthouse and the analogy Derith spoke of- the guiding light. Needless to say, she made big points with my daughter and I.

When we were in Holland last weekend, my daughter bought a miniature (no not a HL) of Big Red to give to Stacee as a thank you for all that she is doing with the youth.

Dave

Re: Lighthouses and religon #498 05/23/99 06:05 PM
LamarB Offline
The Christian bookstores here (South Louisiana) use lighthouse themes a lot, too. The theme seems appropriate to me; a guiding light in the storms of life, a guiding daymark when the weather of life seems gentle and clear.

A few years ago a dear friend gave me a Christian-theme poster with a picture of Cape Meares, OR on it. It's one of my favorites.

------------------
Keepin' the flame

Re: Lighthouses and religon #499 05/25/99 12:33 AM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Jim, no apologies needed...I too have noticed the use of lighthouses intertwined with christian religion. It seems so appropriate though since Jesus did say "I am the light of the world..." When up in Holland, MI the first part of May for the Tulip Festival, we passed a church that had a lighthouse as part of its structure. I would have loved to have gone inside but did not have the opportunity.

Kat {=^+^=}

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: Lighthouses and religon #500 05/25/99 11:45 AM
Q
QC Offline
Q
I grew up not being very religious. My parents used to rent a house in Barnegat Light NJ every winter with a view of Barnegat Light. Each Sunday my father and I would sit at picnic tables by the lighthouse and listen to the Phila. Eagles football games. Dad died Dec of "74. I was 17 and really didn't do any mourning, until I got back to Barnegat Light. I don't know how to explain but that day at Barnegat Light I became a better person. Something helped me. Now I try to be the best Christian I can be. Thanks to God, my wife, 7 kids, and that lighthouse things are pretty great.
Take care guys,
QC

George
Re: Lighthouses and religon #501 05/25/99 12:09 PM
LamarB Offline
Thanks for your post QC. What a heart-warming story.

Re: Lighthouses and religon #502 05/25/99 07:04 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
My 18 year old nephew was killed in a car wreck last month. We live in Utah but he loved to surf at the beaches in San Diego. I gave my brother and his family an Old Point Loma HL in memory of Mike. I told them that would be Mike's lighthouse and every time they saw the light it could remind them of Mike. I now think of Mike as our "heavenly" lightkeeper shining down his light on our family.

Re: Lighthouses and religon #503 05/25/99 08:44 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Has anyone seen the TV spot for the Morman church that uses a lighthouse. I think it was a west coast light. The girl on the commercial says something about Jesus being the light of the world as the camera shows the waves crashing into the shore behind the lighthouse

Eric
Re: Lighthouses and religon #504 05/26/99 04:51 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Lorie,

I would like to thank you for sharing your touching story with us here in the forums. My thoughts are with you and your family. Lighthouses are definately a very comforting icon to many of us.

On a lighter note, I would like to welcome you to the forums. As you have probably already discovered, this site is crammed with information on everything Harbour Lights and more. Welcome!

Re: Lighthouses and religon #505 05/26/99 11:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Weasel,

The light in the commercial is Pigeon Point, CA.

Derith

Re: Lighthouses and religon #506 05/27/99 01:28 AM
T
TGIFIF Offline
T
Great post. I was going through a VERY rough time for about 6months when I really got into HL. I redid my entire liveingroom in lighthouses, curio(full of HL), wall hangings,pictures, lamps, rugs, etc. When at the roughest times I would just set in livingroom & just tell myself over & over "just keep your eyes on the light & you will survive these storms". That even if I lost everything God would still be with me & his light would continue to guid me. Yes, lighthouses have been a spirtual object for years but just recently very popular.

Re: Lighthouses and religon #507 05/27/99 10:17 AM
Lighthousedude Offline
"Guiding friendly strangers,
the keeper of the lighthouse is surley....
friends with God"

Keep the Flame!

Re: Lighthouses and religon #508 05/27/99 07:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is one of my favorite lighthouse postcards.

"the lightkeeper"

Re: Lighthouses and religon #509 05/27/99 09:55 PM
drwhok9 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you one and all for all the great messages. I am very happy to hear from you about your thoughts on lighthouses and religion. I am glad I started this forum.
I just spent about $80 on lighthouse items with religious sayings printed on the bases and now need to start another display of these items next to my Harbour Light items.

Keep adding messages and renewing my(our) faith in good people of the world.

Jim
Dr. Who ?
Re: Lighthouses and religon #510 06/03/99 07:49 AM
HCarpenter Offline
Everyone must know the song "This Little Light of Mine" which talks about the light from within and how one can make it shine and nothing is going to blow it out. Sounds like an analogy for a lighthouse and religion.

Re: Lighthouses and religon #511 06/03/99 09:58 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
We have all debated what piece would make a great "millenium" sculpture next year, but lighthouse history really doesn't tie in with the abstract Y2K milestone very well.

I think the answer is in this thread. What could possibly be a better marker of the millenium than a special released religious based piece, signifying Jesus' 2000 Birthday...the very first and most important light!

A bright star over a small manger? I know it is a stretch, but maybe a special Society redemption piece. It would make an excellent conversation/ learning icon mixed in the cabinet with the other lights for friends and family to see.
Rod Watson
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 07-12-99).]

Re: Lighthouses and religon #512 06/03/99 12:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very interesting idea Rod. I like it. The piece could be titled "Jesus Christ - Light Of The World"

"thelightkeeper"

Re: Lighthouses and religon #513 06/03/99 11:45 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Due to the many faiths of our ever-growing family of HL Collectors, I feel it wise to avoid any HL tied to a religious theme. Let the only "JC" be John Chidester when it comes to collecting HLs.

Bob

Re: Lighthouses and religon #514 06/05/99 02:47 AM
Art Offline
Bob,

Sounds like you've been working in government for too long -- I sense a bit of religion phobia.

The idea of a star & manger might (in Rod's own words) be a stretch, but I for one am not about to squelch the Name of Jesus Christ in the collecting of HLs or in any other context.

Without apology for not being politically correct,

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Lighthouses and religon #515 06/05/99 10:01 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Art, ... Don't get me wrong about this subject. It's my opinion this would open "Pandora's Box" for collectors from any religion to expect a similar piece depicting their beliefs. I realize Harbour Lights can be considered a way of life by some people but we shouldn't be mixing in religion with our favorite collectible out of respect for those folks who may not share the same beliefs.

Bob

Note: The original reply I wrote would have taken you an hour to read. I decided it best that I delete it and keep my reply simple.

Re: Lighthouses and religon #516 06/08/99 12:37 AM
D
Dove Point Light Offline
D
Just had to remind everyone that HL has done "Christmas" pieces-that say "Christmas" on them. Perhaps the 2000 Christmas piece could have a manger or something else related, since it is already a "Christmas" piece, and therefore offensive to some of other beliefs. Just a thought!

Re: Lighthouses and religon #517 06/08/99 12:54 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
You know DP...you're right...some HLs have "Christmas" on them. None of our Jewish friends have complained and demanded a "Chanukah" HL. None of our Jehovah Witness friends have complained about a Christmas piece for a holiday they do not recognize. Maybe this somewhat controversial subject isn't so controversial at all. Maybe HL could make a line of dashboard ornaments to protect us while we operate our vehicles too. (Only kidding...to each their own!) God Bless you all no matter what faith you practice!

Bob

Re: Lighthouses and religon #518 06/08/99 02:07 AM
Art Offline
Amen, Brother Bob.

-Art
Re: Lighthouses and religon #519 06/08/99 06:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If HL made the piece that Rod suggested, not only would we buy one for our collections, but I think we'd have to buy a few extra for family and friends. What a great Christmas gift that would make for a few folks we are close to.

Re: Lighthouses and religon #520 06/09/99 01:28 AM
D
Dove Point Light Offline
D
Bob M-HL does make dashboard figurines-the spyglass series!!

Re: Lighthouses and religon #521 06/09/99 09:51 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Saw a Lighthouse Church in Boston!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Lighthouses and religon #522 06/09/99 12:17 PM
O
orv Offline
O
Certainly don't want to stir the pot here but for those that like manger scenes may I recommend the Precious Moments line by Enesco. They do have some lovely ones. Or pick from the many other companies that make religious and Christmas oriented pieces. IMHO I feel that Harbour Lights should stick with making lighthouses.(and a occasional beaver) Teresa doesn't let me discuss religion or politics in public. I wonder why? I certainly don't want to appear to disparage anyone's beliefs or faith and enjoy seeing the lighthouse used in religious contexts. Bob some of us might have enjoyed reading your original reply.

[This message has been edited by orv (edited 06-09-99).]

ORV
Re: Lighthouses and religon #523 06/11/99 06:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here are the words to that song--"The Lighthouse"

The Lighthouse-----"The Hinsons"

There's a lighthouse on the hillside that over looks life's sea.
When I'm tossed, it sends out a light that I might see.
And the light that shines in darkness now will safely lead us o'er.
If it wasn't for the lighthouse, my ship would be no more.

Everybody that lives around us says tear that lighthouse down,
The big ships, they don't sail by this way anymore.
Ain't no use it standing 'round.
Then my mind goes back to that stormy night,
When just in time, I seen the light.
Yes, the light from that old lighthouse, that stands up there on a hill.

And I thank God for the lighthouse, I owe my life to Him.
For Jesus is the lighthouse, and from the rocks of sin,
He has shown the light around me that I could clearly see,
if it wasn't for the lighthouse, where would this ship be?

"the lightkeeper"

Re: Lighthouses and religon #524 06/12/99 01:21 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
First of all, I want to express my opinion that, when religion is used to accept people of all backgrounds and persuasions into a larger group of spiritual wellness and growth, it rocks. It's great. There's energy, synergy, and real connection. To those groups who use the lighthouse as a symbol for these qualities, I salute you and share that bond with you...regardless of what religion that might be.

Having said that, I must express my dismay at a certain group (I won't name it) that uses the lighthouse as a symbol for the "conversion" of fellow human beings who happen to be gay or lesbian.

Gee, I guess I just 'outed' myself on the forum page.

My point is this, and I'll keep it brief. I love lighthouses. I love what they stand for, both literally and figuratively. They bring me great, sometimes mysterious, comfort in many ways, as I bet they do for everyone who's contributed to this thread. At the same time, it's very unfortunate that one of my favorite symbols and life's passions is being used by others, in the name of religion, to try and change what is...I promise you...an immutable characteristic of my being. Could you "convert" yourself into being gay? I don't think so, no matter how hard you prayed or studied the Bible. God knows what (s)he's doing.

I write this not to inflame, enrage, or make anyone uncomfortable. It's just another point of view concerning something we have in common...a love of lighthouses.

And another thing...Harbour Lights REALLY needs to lower the edition size. 10,000 is too high.

Peace.

Re: Lighthouses and religon #525 06/14/99 02:23 PM
jakescol Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Precious Moments by ENESCO currently has a Limited Edition Porclean lighthouse figurine. The title is "JESUS IS MY LIGHTHOUSE" the product # IS 487945 and sells for $75.00. The figurine has a girl with a Bible, setting next to a lighthouse. A light plugs in the bottom of the lighthouse and the top lights up.
The figurine is very fine porclean, and of course the artist is SAM BUTCHER.

Jake Toering

Re: Lighthouses and religon #526 06/16/99 10:52 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I stopped and shot this picture on the way from Newport News, VA to New Point Comfort Lighthouse. I thought at the time I would share it in this thread. By the way if you want pictures of New Point Comfort you better have a lens of 1000mm or longer, or a boat. The observatory deck is a ways away, but the location and wildlife was well worth the trip.

Paul L Brady

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Lighthouses and religon #527 01/18/00 01:02 AM
drwhok9 Offline OP
OP Offline
I was not sure if these messages were old enough to be deleted or even if anybody new to the forums would be interested, but since I started this thread I just wanted to keep it around for a little while longer. Also I know that the pictures are not showing up, but if anyone wants to see them, I have a print out of some of the thoughts and have some of the pictures also.

Keep the Light burning in your Heart.

------------------
Jim

Dr. Who ?

Jim
Dr. Who ?
Re: Lighthouses and religon #528 01/18/00 04:05 PM
J
Jim Johnston Offline
J
Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12-
"In the same way let your light shine before men, that they see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5:16-
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
Psalm 119:105-
For You have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.
Psalm 56:13-
and YES, Rock of Ages in my favorite lighthouse.

Re: Lighthouses and religon #529 01/18/00 06:31 PM
D
don farrell Offline
D
I have really enjoyed all the comments about religion & lighthouses. I guess I will probably be telling my age but as a child growing up in piedmont N.C., I can remember a Black spiriual song being sung "Shine On Me" let the lights from your lighthouse, shine on me. Anyone else remember this song?
Don

Re: Lighthouses and religon #530 01/18/00 10:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is a link to a nice site called "The Lighthouse"
http://home.earthlink.net/~lynettec/
Hope you enjoy.

"TheLightkeeper"

Re: Lighthouses and religon #531 01/19/00 07:20 PM
RezmanDale Offline
Great thread. As an ordained minister and a missionary to Native Americans I have encountered the lighthouse quite often on the reservation in the name of churhces. In fact our mission helped build the facilities for the Canyon Day Family Lighthouse Church and the Chinle Family Lighthouse Church. I don't know how I missed this thread but it is a good one. May favorite chapter in the Bible is John Chapter 1.

"In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was in the Beginning with God.
Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that that has been made. In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it....The Word became flesh and made His dwelling amoung us. And we have seen His glory, the glory of the one and only who came from Father, full of grace and truth.Jn 1:1-5,14

The words in these verses explain a lot and answers some of the comments in this thread!

I would buy a HL piece depciting the greatest light of all

Should HL's do a "Jesus the light of the world" piece? If Bill and company are moved to do so it would be great. I know what kind of "pressure" they would come under if they did. Should that stop them from doing one? I don't think so, but that is not our decission, is it.

Jesus IS the light of the world. I hope the world sees the light before it's too late.

Dale

[This message has been edited by DALE LAWRENCE (edited 01-19-2000).]

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 821 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users