Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52953 06/20/06 02:06 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I'm in the process of trying to find a specific LLOM- Ship John Shoal- for a diorama used at outreaches for the NJLHS.

I went onto the HL Website to look for dealers in my area as I know some have closed, etc.

There are 6 dealers listed in my area and out of the six 4 are either closed or no longer carry any HL products at all.

It would be nice if the list of dealers was kept up to date a bit better. Of course if I was buying more LH's recently I might have known the situation already.

It doesn't do much good to have a list for people to use if it's not correct.

Just a thought- keep it updated or ditch it. alist with incorrect information will turn of many new collectors quickly and make some old on the fence collecters jump over it.

Dennis

Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52954 06/20/06 03:20 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I would suggest, Dennis , that you email this information to Habour Lights, both the list of the ones you found no longer selling HL's and your sugestion to update the list.. If every time a forum member found a dealer to no longer to be carrying the product and emailed them, it should help HL in getting the information updated..
I do it every time Sue and I find a store that we stop at on our travels, hopefully they are using the information..
I know it is in their plans to update but it will take a while to sort everything out after the sale and move..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52955 06/20/06 06:13 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Amen. I have been trying to get an up-to-date dealer list for several months. And call Kathy and see if she has a dealer with Ship John Shoal. That would be the quickest route to that one.

Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52956 06/20/06 07:39 PM
SDudley Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I've been asking for this for months. One would think that a company would know who their current dealers are. It seems a bit strange that the customer would have to be the one to keep the list current.

Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52957 06/20/06 10:10 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I didn't mean to say that it's up to us but rather that if we have found out some information that a rep probably hasn't passed along to the company, why not help... Plus it is a friendly reminder that the list needs to be updated...

I guess that working in the news business for 35 years has me used to sharing information.. It not only helps the company but it helps fellow collectors..

Part of the problem may also stem from the major computer system crash that Harbour Lights suffered a while back, I know that a lot of their files were not recoverable...

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52958 06/20/06 10:50 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I think a significant contributing factor is the reps who don't do their jobs (ours being one of them) and the areas that have not had reps. Part of the reps job is to stay in contact with their dealers. They would be among the first to realize a store was out of business or no longer wanted to carry the line, but they don't bother to pass the info on.

Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52959 06/21/06 01:15 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Well, I'll agree with just about everything that was mentioned.

I agree it's not a bad idea to send along my findings to the powers that be.

I also understand that some information may have been lost with the computer crash in the past.

The part I find hard to understand is this- I may not know how the business is organized but it seems to me that somebody has a list of the stores/dealers that they are sending product to.

It should be fairly simple to compare this to the dealer list they are providing on thier website for the convenience of thier customers. It's likely that if they are not shipping any product to a dealer the dealer either doesn't exist anymore or at the very least they have dropped the HL lines.

Sometimes the small details are just as important as the big ones.

It shouldn't be the customers job to tell the company who's selling thier product- it's nice to do so but it really shouldn't be needed.

Dennis

Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52960 06/21/06 01:29 AM
J
Jim Awrey Offline
J
Lots of great discussion here, with many things that need to be remedied, but, as a dealer, I just have to ask this:

When did they make a LLOM of Ship John Shoal? Was it a special piece made for the New Jersey Lighthouse Challenge? It is not one that we are able to order.

Jim

Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52961 06/21/06 01:42 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Jim,

You know you just made my face red.

You are absolutely correct- there is no LLOM of Ship John Shoal. I confused myself.

I had made a list of the Lighthouses I needed and looked to see if HL and Scasis made them as there are some of each manufacturer in the diorama.

I somehow put Ship John Shoal on the HL side of the list.

This actually explains why nobody had one. laugh

It doesn't affect the main thrust of my initial post- the lack of current information in the dealers list.

I apologize for the confusion caused, though.

Heck I don't feel too bad- nobody else caught the mistake either. laugh

Dennis

Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52962 06/21/06 02:14 AM
J
Jim Awrey Offline
J
Dennis,

If you can't find the Scaasis version, Spoontiques makes one also.

Jim

Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52963 06/21/06 03:20 AM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Gotta' love a knowledgeable dealer!! New Dad AND on the ball. . . . Now that's an oxymoron!!

Sandy

Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52964 06/21/06 02:28 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Jim,

I having trouble finding anybody in my area who sells lighthouse sculptures at all any more.

I'll survive without it this Friday but I'm going to be on the lookout afterwards for one. It's my own fault . I waited too long to start looking. I got 3 out of 4 that I needed so that's not too bad.

Dennis

Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52965 06/21/06 03:54 PM
regalhobo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
...I got 3 out of 4 that I needed so that's not too bad.
As the song says Dennis 2 out of 3 ain't bad so you done good. wink

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

:) :cool:
Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52966 06/23/06 12:58 AM
shiulong Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I have no dealers in my area (4 gone) and have moved to Collectors World. As far as the web list you would think Harbour Lights would know who they are selling lights to without our help. After all, the dealers have to pay for them at some point, so there must be a current list. Why they won't let John update the web site can't say. But the move must have made for some confusion lets be patient.

Chuck

bigdragon
Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52967 07/01/06 07:21 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We have five left in Colorado. Five years ago there were 50 something stores that sold H.L. It is sad to see what has happened to the collectible market. Sure hope it turns around one of these days.
Judy

Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52968 07/06/06 04:11 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I've passed this on to Tony and he's asked me to post this reply:

Quote:
I understand everyone's great frustration in finding a Harbour Lights Dealer. I offer no excuses!

I have two points for your consideration; the number of independent retailers is on the decline and when a Dealer closes it is difficult to find a replacement. Lines such as Harbour Lights require a reasonable investment for a new Dealer, an investment often times a new dealer is not able to make. The word "collectible" is no longer a selling point for retailers; our Field Sales constantly are told by Dealers:" I don't sell collectibles anymore!"

That said; I will be out in the field, this summer, "one on one" with the Reps and will review their Dealer Rosters eliminating those Dealers that are out of business or simply no longer selling Harbour Lights. I promise that as I go through the Territories, we will up date our Dealer List on our Website. This task will be completed by EOM August.

I am also asking for your help: Do you know of a retailer, in your trading area that would make a GREAT Harbour Lights Dealer? Please feel free to write me tconstantino@harbourlights.com, I promise - there will be an immediate follow up.

A. J. Constantino
Director of Sales and Marketing

Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52969 07/06/06 06:17 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
John,

Thanks for the update. Pass along our thanks to Tony for his response.

Dennis

Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52970 07/07/06 11:35 PM
beachcomber Offline
Unfortunately, many of us had come to the conclusion that collectibles are no longer a good commodity for dealers. I had the opportunity to ride to the airport with Tony after the fabulous Tidewater event. Some of the facts and figures which he quoted were incredibly appalling; finding dealers for HL is going to be no easy task. I wish him well in this enterprise, but, CF members, don't expect much. If anyone can talk dealers into considering handling HL again, Tony can, but I think we just have to adapt to the times and go with dealers who are willing and able to ship to us. Some CF members have named several good dealers throughout the country. Contact one and start developing a relationship! smile

beachcomber
Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52971 07/07/06 11:58 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm hearing some 'buzz' lately - here on the Forums and from a couple of dealers I've spoken to. It's positive about the new releases and things like speedy delivery from HL to dealers.

And I've noticed a few formerly inactive CF members are back lately.

Not enough data to make quantitative conclusions, but the qualitatitve ones are pointing in the right direction.

Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52972 07/09/06 10:09 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
John
You are totally right about the new release attracting collectors again.
I gave up my auto-shipment in 2002 and focused on the first 38 with all their variations.
All I have been buying that is new was a few Florida Lights and they have just been AP or double digits off of ebay.
My one curio cabinet holds the first 100 L.E. The latest I buy is always set on my dresser until it gets replaced with a more recent purchase. Then it goes to storage. Every thing else is in closets or storage.

The new models are fantastic and are catching my eye again. I miss dealing with a dealer and talking about the latest releases. I miss the excitement of what’s coming out next. The whole family use to go with us to our dealer and pick up our latest.
Ebay has taken all of that away from me.

I am considering starting up collecting the new releases again if I can just figure out where to put them.

DANIEL
Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52973 07/10/06 10:17 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I sincerely believe the new HL regime will do their best to service their current dealers while seeking additional outlets for their product. This exchange of command will be a rebirth that will keep Harbour Lights around for many years to come.

We do need a new dealer list and hopefully we'll find dealers in every state, and in convenient locations for our faithful collectors.

smile Bob smile

Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52974 07/11/06 11:18 PM
TDSimpson Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I just found out today that my dealer is going out of business and is selling everything at the store for 60% off. This makes the fifth different dealer for me in the ten years I have been collecting that has gone out of business in my area. You can add JR'S Hallmark in Port Clinton, Ohio as the latest casualty. They do have some HL pieces left but don't know if they will still ship if you are interested.

Tom

Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52975 08/27/06 09:10 PM
SDudley Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Does anyone have an update on any progress on the corrected dealers list. I have looked at a couple of the states in my area and don't see any change.

Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52976 08/27/06 11:20 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Tony is on Vacation this week after being on the road for the most part of the past couple of months calling on reps and dealers.

I'm not the one who prepares the dealer list so I can't make any promises for them. But I know it continues to be a high priority.

Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52977 08/28/06 08:37 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I know the local dealer that closed shop earlier this year was taken off.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52978 08/29/06 08:16 AM
SDudley Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Thanks for the update, I guess some progress is being made.

Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52979 08/29/06 11:45 PM
beachcomber Offline
I know that HL knows how eager we are for this; I guess we need to give Tony some time to assess the situation now that he has visited so many reps and dealers. I have finally contacted one of the Florida dealers and intend to give him my business from now on - limited as that may be! smile I know he's going to be around for a long time! I hope, I hope! wink

beachcomber
Re: How About A Correct Dealer's List? #52980 09/27/06 02:27 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I found one in Maple Shade NJ that I use...they are GREAT! I don't know if they do mail order but they do have an 800 number and a great store front. They have a cabinet of HL stuff.
Let me know if your interested and I can shoot you the info via e-mail.
I am not affiliated with this place whatsoever...just trying to help the collectors here.

BB

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,299 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users