Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sturgeon Bay Canal North Pier Light - Week of 12/9/00 #52685 12/12/00 12:29 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Since I was the photographer for this week's "Photo of the Week," I'll tell you about this lighthouse photograph. My family and I visited Door County for the first time in August 2000. While we didn't get to visit every one of Door County's beacons, I did want to visit the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal light which Harbour Lights had sculpted.

After picking up a nice booklet on Wisconsin Lighthouses, I realized that a visit to Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal light would net a 2-for-1.

Walking along the very designated path through the US Coast Guard station, one arrives at the 'beach' and a long pier that leads out into Lake Michigan. The North Pier light sits on a parallel breakwater wall. Only the metalwork walkway overhead connects this light with land as it crosses the distance between the two breakwalls here.

The Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal North Pierhead Light was first lit on May 15, 1882 by keeper Rufus M. Wright. It only took a few years before a taller more powerful light was needed to guide ships off Lake Michigan to the short-cut canal that by-passed the dreaded "Death's Door" route from Lake Michgan into Green Bay.

The 98' tall Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal began operating in 1899 -- and was entirely rebuilt in 1903 because it wasn't strong enough to stand the lake winds.

Re: Sturgeon Bay Canal North Pier Light - Week of 12/9/00 #52686 12/12/00 07:52 PM
J
Jim Johnston Offline
J
John, You'll have to come back to Wisconsin in the future and visit the Pottawatomie Lighthouse. Wisconsins first government lighthouse on Lake Michigan. Just maybe, if I'm lucky enough, Harbour Lights will include it in their "Restoration Series"
Regards,
Mr. Persistant

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,299 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users