Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Menu System #52398 01/01/99 02:52 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I have implemented a new menu system for www.HarbourLights.com. (But then, if you've come this far, you realize that already.)

This one is similar to the collapsing outline I tested earlier, but doesn't depend on MSIE4.0 features. It does use frames, which I believe are supported by Netscape and IE 3.0 and higher.

The new "home Page" has the same URL as before:

www.HarbourLights.com/default.htm

If you prefer a no-frames page, use:

www.HarbourLights.com/default_NF.htm

For those who use the "Power Page" which opened with a menu on the left and the Forums in the main window, there is a new URL:

www.HarbourLights.com/frames/

(Note that the Forums are provided independently by Lighthouse Keepers and not by Harbour Lights. Your mileage may vary, etc.)

The photo of Round Island on each menu will be replaced with a rotating image of different HLs that change each time you reload a new menu page.

Let me know if the browser you use does NOT support frames - then I'll know whether or not it is necessary to continue to update the new "No-frames" home page on an ongoing basis.

You might find the menus a bit slow the first time you use them. Once the various buttons are cached on your hard drive, they should operate relatively fast.

Click on the "Need Help" text for a detailed look at how to use the new menu system.

John

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 01-02-99).]

Re: New Menu System #52399 01/02/99 10:12 PM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
Is that just the entree, or do I need to order my potato(e), veggie and salad separately. I will select my desert form the cart later. Coffee now please, black. Oh yes, Rare!

Re: New Menu System #52400 01/05/99 02:30 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
With the frames method of navigation through the site, you will notice that the URL shown in the "Address" window of your browser is the "name" of the frames page -- which is the combination of two windows. As you navigate the URL does not change unless the whole window is replaced or a new window opens.

To find the URL to the page in the "Main Frame", Windows 95-98 users right-click on a plain area of the backgound, choose "Properties" and the URL will be displayed - or maybe not all of it. If you need the URL in full, drag your mouse right and down starting at the "http://" hit CTRL-C then close that Properties Window.

Mac users, I think you double-click on the background of the main window.

Re: New Menu System #52401 01/05/99 11:24 PM
RFoster Offline
John, I'm having alittle difficulty with the new Frames menu. From the new powerpage I clicked on "Collecting", in the left menu. Below "Collecting" appeared all of the subcategories. I chose "Glossary", which took awhile to load (server was slow tonight anyway, I think) but after it loaded into the right frame on my screen, the "Right-Left" arrows (usually located below the frame on the right) disappeared. I was unable to get the entire width of the glossary page in the frame, and was also unable to move to the right to see what was not in the frame. Am I not doing something correctly?

Ron

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: New Menu System #52402 01/06/99 12:43 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hmmm. I see what you mean. Your display (monitor) is set to 800x600 (pixels). I'm using MSIE 4.72+.

I can see the horizontal scroll bar if I hit F11 (showing the browser REALLY maximized).

Also, even without using the F11 key, I can use the left and right arrow keys and scroll the window that way.

You may possibly be able to set your monitor to show more "real estate", depending on the monitor, the display adapter, and the video memory. I have a 17" (about 15" diagonal) COMPAQ MV700. I am ABLE to set the resolution to 1280 x 1024 with 24 bit color -- but the type is too small for these old eyes. So I usually use 1024 X 768.

I'm sure you know that you make these setting changes using the "Control Panels" and "DISPLAY", then click on the "Settings" tab.

Let me know what you find.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users