cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Finally, a pop-up window that I like! #52293 06/01/01 07:54 PM
Art Offline OP
OP Offline
I usually hate the dastardly things -- pushy ads that make you pay a price just for visiting a site, and in turn make you swear off ever visiting that site again. So prejudiced am I against these that it took me a couple of days to get used to this one and to come to the conclusion that they are not all bad.

In the case of the HL-dot-com site, you get a rare pop-up that treats you to something that you want to do anyway, but probably forget about as often as not.

The lighthouse of the day pop-up window makes me slow down for a minute and enjoy.

Congratulations, Webmaster, on the elegant application of a generally overused, blunt instrument.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Finally, a pop-up window that I like! #52294 06/02/01 01:53 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Ahhhh.

I was waiting for some reaction and hoping that it wouldn't be objectionable. I too am annoyed by those pop up ads on Tripod, Geocities, Angelfire and other places that provide 'free' web sites in exchange for the right to bombard those site visitors with ads.

I'm working on refining the HL.com pop-up in one of two possible ways. After a few seconds it automatically gets closed; and it would close if you clicked on it OR using a cookie that would expire each midnight so you'd only get the popup once a day on your first visit.

Right now those two ideas are beyond my HTML/Java knowledge, but then I didn't know how to make a popup window until earlier this week

Re: Finally, a pop-up window that I like! #52295 06/02/01 04:41 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
JC - I sent you some Javascript code that will cause the popup to display only once per browser session - so when you return to the homepage it shouldn't show again. Closing that browser or opening a new one, then the behavior starts all over again. It will also automatically close the popup window after 10 seconds, but you can change that to what you want.
__
/

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 06-02-2001).]

Re: Finally, a pop-up window that I like! #52296 06/02/01 05:21 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks Tim! That was great!

You all can see the results of Tim's code - now the popup window appears only for 10 seconds and doesn't reappear during your current browser session. Next time you open your browser and hit the home page, you'll get the 10 second pop-up.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 821 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users