Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5186 03/01/99 08:57 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I'd like to discuss interesting topics about HL and not meaningless chit chat. If anyone agrees with this, advise with a reply. If we can designate some points of interests ahead of time, we may be able to help each other. Hey, keep the humor, but lets be ready to learn from each other.

THANKS!

Moby

Moby
Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5187 03/01/99 05:57 PM
jakescol Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I've only been in the chat room three times and like the chit chat but I'm with you we need to get into some interesting topics and discussions.
jake

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5188 03/01/99 06:20 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
How about we set a topic for the first hour and leave the chit chat for the 30-45 minutes later? If you mostly like chit-chatting, show up when the second hour starts.

Also to avoid all the "Hi" and "Bye". Let's designate someone at the beginning of the chat to be the 'greeter'. The would be the only one needed for that role.

Robert - since it was your idea, what topic do you want it to be for 3/3/99?

------------------
0 :>) St. John of the Internet

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 03-01-99).]

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5189 03/01/99 08:54 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
"meaningless chit chat"

The reason there is, what you term meaningless chit chat, is because over the years several of us have become very good friends. What may seem meaningless to you could be important to others. Anybody has always been welcome to bring up any topic at any time no matter how meaningless. I am in favor an open freewheeling chatroom. I get to much structure with the rest of my life. I guess I will have to welcome my friends in a private welcome.
A big part of my collecting Harbour Lights has been making friends, from fellow collectors to the Youngers.
I guess I will have to go to more AOL chats where I get meaningful chit chat, Harbour Lights and the real lighthouses in equal doses.

Paul L Brady

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5190 03/01/99 10:28 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Sorry Robert, I agree with Paul. I feel agendas will foster a lot of "dead-air time" in the chatroom. Some visitors will never speak if they can't first get involved with a little non-HL banter.

Most of our jobs require meetings with set agendas for better time management. When I'm home and on this infernal machine I like the opportunity for the free exchange of information in a casual setting. IMHO, that is what a chatroom is for.

I believe the Forum is the place to post messages and read responses about HLs. It is a wealth of information for readers looking for current information. The categories are great and most questions are answered in a short period of time by some very knowledgable people.

Leave the chatrooms as is. They were designed to be rooms for chatting. If 20 people want to say "hi" to a new comer, so be it. If people want to discuss a subject other than HLs for a period of time, that's okay too.

There are times when HL conversation may be a little slow because no one asks a HL related question. If you ask one, you will get answers. As a matter of fact asking the right questions will stimulate a conversation strictly about that topic.

So my recommendation to anyone who prefers direct conversation about HLs and not everyday chit-chat would be to prepare yourself ahead of time and come up with those HL related questions that will inspire all participants to join in.

In closing I would like to add that the HL chatrooms (HL website & AOL) are about the friendliest places you could ever stumble into. There are no obnoxious people. There's no cussing and swearing. It's always pleasant and mostly informative conversation by those people who share a general interest in one of the finest collectibles made.

The old saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." That's the word from the East Coast where it's dark, 40 degrees, and raining. <^>

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5191 03/01/99 11:11 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I agree with both Paul and Bob that the chat does not need an agenda. I feel that one of the best things about the chat is how 4 or 5 conversations can all happen at once. You can take part in one or more at the same time. If a question is asked, you get the benefit of having the greatest collection of HL expects available (outside of the reunion) to answer your question. The chit-chat is the glue that holds this group together until those questions are asked. And I think that a newbie would have to go a long way to find a group more willing to share it's experience and knowledge with anyone. So let us say hello to our friends (both old and new) and hang on for the ride. It's a good one.

Jim
Johnson

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5192 03/01/99 11:51 PM
M
matisse Offline
M
I don't know about an "agenda," but I DO know that most people aren't interested in stepping into some clearly personal conversation in which they have zippo interest. For the "in" regulars, why don't you find a new "room," or try e-mail, and make the HL chat room a place that won't intimidate, frustrate, or bore those who don't really give a damn whose birthday it is.

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5193 03/02/99 12:49 AM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
Quote:
make the HL chat room a place that won't intimidate, frustrate, or bore those who don't really give a damn whose birthday it is.

Hey matisse, relax. One day it will be your birthday too!

I think the best approach to the chats might be the one I use. I check the scheduled chats when I can, to keep up with the rumors and annoucements about Harbour Lights, AND to say hello to other collectors who I've come to know over the years, through the chats.

It can take some patience to watch all of the threads as they scroll across the screen. If you don't see one that you'd like to join, ask a question to start a new thread. Some one will answer. Or just say goodnight and try again next time.

These are good people and you do them a dis-service with your sarcasm.

Rick

PS - If you feel that strongly about your position, sign your work, like the originator of this forum topic.

[This message has been edited by RMau (edited 03-01-99).]

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5194 03/02/99 12:54 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Oh-oh, dissension in the ranks! While it would be nice to try to have a "meaningful conversation" about our beloved HL's the format of the chat room does not lend itself very well to this as the volume of participants is usually pretty large. Just trying to keep track of the banter is at times challenging. I believe the chat should remain as it is while the forum is the place for specific questions, concerns. E-mail between individuals is naturally another option. There are no "in-regulars". Everyone is welcome!

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 03-01-99).]

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5195 03/02/99 01:46 AM
Art Offline
Saaayyy...

You're not the Robert behind Robert's Rules of Order , are you? :-D

-Some guy whose middle name is Robert [who also happens to enjoy meaningless chit-chat]
[This message has been edited by Art (edited 03-01-99).]

-Art
Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5196 03/02/99 01:58 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Maybe I was too hasty in agreeing. After reading the counter posts, I too like the chance to 'talk' to fellow collectors.

Maybe we need chats more often:

1 - A chat for people who've never chatted before or are still novices.

2 - A 'guest' such as Kim Andrews in which case we'd post individual questions and she'd answer them. Other guests might be lighthouse family members (keeper's children today). Or the people who run a bed & breakfast Lighthouse.

3 - ?? What else?

John

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5197 03/02/99 02:04 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
GREAT suggestions, John! Can't think of a "what else" just now but am sure others will. Thanks for your report on Tybee. As one light is extinguished another is lit. This is really exciting stuff!

Sue

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5198 03/02/99 02:55 AM
LamarB Offline
Lighten up there Matisse. You're gonna blow a hippocmapus fit!

I don't get to chat NEARLY as often as I'd like but when I do, it's kinda' like walking into a room full of friends for a little socializing. Everybody says 'HI' and maybe 'Welcome'. There's a little group over here talking about something and another over there talking about something else. I'm free to join or not, participate or not. For me it's a social occasion with my Harbour Lights friends both old and new. Like any social occasion, sometimes we talk about HL, sometimes about the weather, sometimes about almost anything under the sun. Sometimes we're serious and sometimes were just plain goofy. It's spontaneous and it's fun.

Leave the chat room just like it is. We've got the Forums for structured, specific HL topics and a tremendous wealth of HL information, advice and tips in them.

Thats my not so humble opinion from near the Gulf Coast of Louisiana where it's a full moon in a clear sky and 60 degrees.

------------------
Keepin' the flame

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5199 03/02/99 04:24 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Greeters? Greeters? This ain't Walmart, we don't need no steenking greeters.

We may not agree with your 'Hi' or 'Bye' but we'll defend to the lantern room your right to say it over and over and over.

Rgds,
The HL Revolutionary Front (aka El Wackisto Molto)
-- Death to Agendas
-- No Topic No Cry
-- Birthday Rights for All
-- Free the Chat Room 7
-- Dogs Chat Free, Why Can't We
[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 03-02-99).]

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5200 03/02/99 04:26 AM
B
BuyGlass Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Whats next? Chats are wide open for discussion. Got a question ask it. Lets not limit my on line time because I may not want to see a variation explained for the 500th time. Yep, the arguement has two sides. Live with it and enjoy the fact you have a place to chat Harbour Lights. We are all collectors and friends here. Not all of us are Harbour Lights employees and we don't owe anybody anything when it comes to explaining or trying to explain something about Harbour Lights. All us fun loving collectors will sign on for a different chat, so who gets nominated to be the official host, could it be the Harbour Light Webmaster, John Chidester?? I think so. Sorry John, but all us fun loving collectors will sign on for a different chat and keep our knowledge to our selves. I vote for no chat logs for the fun loving group. Dont want to share any secrets.

John it ain't broke, Don't fix it. Good suggestion Moby, its not your post I take exception to. Rick, Once again, Your the Man!!!

SeAnDiEgO
I'm in the In Crowd now, baby. Come on Beav, lets run to the store and buy a hanky, well maybe better buy a box for the next chat. BOOO HOOO

[This message has been edited by BuyGlass (edited 03-02-99).]

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5201 03/02/99 04:57 AM
O
orv Offline
O
I think its great that a group all across the US can get together and become friends due to a mutual interest. We are participants in writing the history of one of the most amazing sociological phenomenens of all time. Don't ruin it by adding too much structure. Most of my friends think I'm extremely anal about most things. I do admit I like a plan and sticking to it, but not all things have to be that way. I think Robert's main point is that it would be nice if along with the chit chat that there is lighthouse discussion also. Of course I haven't been to but one chat session. My impression was: visiting about 80%, HL discussion 20%.
Here in the midwest it was a beautiful day today and they say another's on the way. Here in the Ozarks we have a saying "Don't like the weather, stick around, it'll change"

------------------
ORV

ORV
Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5202 03/02/99 08:46 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hey guys and gals,

Did I stir up a controversy or what. New at this and I'm sure I'll adjust. See ya Wednesday!

Moby

Moby
Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5203 03/02/99 11:30 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Matisse, you seem a little gruff for a person who has only 2 posts on the Forum. If John Lennon was still alive I would ask him to write new lyrics to one of his songs and it would go like this:

"All we are saying...(a little swaying back and forth for effect)... is give the chatroom a chance."

Part of the problem leading to more idle chit- chat is the fact things have been a little slow. Many of the collectors are "spinning their wheels" so to speak waiting for the new HL releases (at least we have Cape Agulhas & St. Marks). What the chatroom needs is new participants who will step up to the plate and ask questions. Everyone there is always willing to put their "two-cents worth" in about any topic of discussion.

All I'm saying is join in and participate. If the chit-chat turns to a subject of no interest, log off and come back another time. The chatroom can span many levels within a single session. Sometimes it's HL 101(No, I'm not referring to Admiralty Head), while other times it may be advanced HL Collecting (worth 3 college credits at HLU).

The HL chatroom serves all faiths from all walks of life. It is meant to be an enjoyable experience. If you're not enjoying the experience, then it's time to log off and locate the "Cheryl Spencer Collins Chatroom."

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5204 03/02/99 06:51 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I think Lamar has hit the nail on the head!
If you want structured information. Read and participate in the forums. If you want to chat among friends, show up at the HL chat room, sit back, relax, and have fun.

The friendships that I have made through "chats" and these forums are worth far more to me than any Harbour Light in my collection. I have never met in person many of the people who I share myself with here, but from the chat discussions and forum postings, I think I have a pretty good idea as to who and what my on-line friends are all about.

Keep that chats open and free-wheeling! You never know when and where you might find a new friend, or at least an aquantence. The chat room is a good place to start. If you want to make personal attacks, please find somewhere else to go.

-Todd

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5205 03/02/99 07:47 PM
J
JnJpriest Offline
J
Just wanted to add...Jim & I have really enjoyed the Chat Room. We can not always attend, but love reading the logs from Fred. Hopefully, have met many new friends that enjoy the thrill of collecting, and sharing that with others! I hope it stays the same, and we know, from the wealth of information at hand, that we can get the answer to any question we have. Long Live the HL Chat Room!!

------------------

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5206 03/02/99 08:34 PM
RFoster Offline
I'd like to have the chats stay informal. I've enjoyed them very much in the past and have met many good people through them. My big problem, lately, is that I have been unable to get my computer to cooperate (unable to enter the room for some unknown reason). I'll be happy when I can join in again and hope it won't be long before I can.

Ron

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5207 03/02/99 08:38 PM
Jake Offline
Well, I'm for the free chat. But John (or is it St. John?), that is a great idea! I've noticed that some newbies are a bit nervous to chat their first time. maybe there should be special "Newbie Chats" so that they get used to the idea, that way they feel a bit more confident when they get into the veteran chats. Also, special chat room chats would be fun too (and could we possibly get BY to come? THAT would be great). Also, besides the Younger family, we could also get some people from the Legacy even.
But I join the ranks with Tim, also. Many collectors' lives are restricted enough. The chats are unwind time. So, If it takes a revolution (of the peaceful, hopefully nice persuasion), then let it be. Let the people rise and be heard (HL and non-HL subjects), let it ring through the Forums. Let us be heard! Viva free chats!

Just a thought :-)

Jake (Stephen)

Jakers
Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5208 03/02/99 08:59 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Never been to the Chat, have to attend the next one (if I can pry my son's fingers from the computer long enough). I need questions answered, serious questions like "Are there seahorses in Indiana?" I know they must exist because there's one on the Michigan City piece and HL's wouldn't put it there if they weren't around. Haven't found one yet in my ditch, but I'll keep looking. Maybe I could find a fossilized one in the field! Gotta go, gonna grab the shovel and start digging. See ya Wed.

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5209 03/02/99 09:58 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks Moby for your come-back post. Yes, you stirred things up, but I found out how important periodic chats are to the WACKOs and Wannabes. Thanks everyone for your input.

Novices to chatting are ALWAYS welcome at any chat. We make allowances without put downs. When you're signed into the chat room, if you seem to be having trouble, one of us will send you a PERSONAL message "To XXXX" with some help.

While we're chatting about a lighthouse, a Harbour Lights, or the relative weather around each of us in the chat room, there's probably 2-3 private chats going on in addition. So when it seems no one is typing, it may be that they're involved in private chats.

We'll try a 'chatting novice' session this month - on a different night, a few 'old-timers' will be there to answer questions and guide as needed.

I'll try to get Bill on -- but he's on the road so much, it's hard to arrange. And he's one of those early-to-bed guys so 9 pm is too late for him from what I hear.

How about a topics/guests such as:

1 - Cullen Chambers, who guided restorations of Key West, St. Augustine, and Tybee Island

2 - The living son or daughter of a Lighthouse Keeper.

3 - The owners of one of the lighthouse Bed & Breakfast Inns.

4 - Ken Black, founder and curator of the Maine museum for Lighthouses.

5 - A 'panel' of 2-3 retail dealers.

6 - A 'panel' of 2-3 secondary market dealers.

7 - Pros and cons of selling on ebay

8 - Bruce & Cheryl Roberts to discuss the Cape Hatteras move.

Any of these strike your fancy? What other guests might we try to arrange?

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5210 03/03/99 01:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The eight suggestions look good to me. I just got on the computer and read all of the posts. i am kinda new at this "chat room" concept, but I like the informality of the whole thing.

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5211 03/03/99 01:03 PM
LamarB Offline
Quote:
Any of these strike your fancy?

These all sound like excellent choices to me St. John. I'd like to suggest Timothy Harrison, too.

------------------
Keepin' the flame

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5212 03/03/99 04:14 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Talk to you guys and gals tonight if we have power. Severe weather headed to southeast Va. We're battening down the hatches here. Windy, clear and 75 degrees now.

Moby

Moby
Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5213 03/04/99 12:09 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>>What other guests might we try to arrange?<<

9 - a 'panel' of well-seasoned Wackos

Kung Pao Wacko,
__
/im (Selkirk van escapes tornado in Dinwiddie Co.)

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5214 03/04/99 07:40 PM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
I am a collector first and a lighthouse lover second. Since we want to turn this into a University of Education with a course sylabus, let's look at introduction to HL101A (course not figurine).

In the beginning, there was the AOL Lighthouse Collectibles Bulletin Board. and all was sunny. One of the collectors, a man called chidester, thought it woul be nice to create a chat room where the BB posters could chat with one another on a more timely basis, and all was MORE sunny.

Meanwhile a man call Steve Case decided we were having too much fun and doing buying and selling on his turf. He demanded a cut-of-the-pie and instituted hall moniters (Bulletin Board Policia) to dictate what could be posted and what could not, after raising the monthly ante to sit at his table.

This greatly irratated the "inmates", who by that time had become good friends.Some actually meeting one-another at the first reunion and becoming even better friends. Sir John, as he was known at that time, realized he could not slay the dragon, so he expanded his website (which in those days was the top-of-the-line internet site for Harbour Lights) to incorporate a Forum, with a buy/sell subforum as a part. He also, at his own expense, created an online chat room. Somewhere in the process he became St. John.

Many, but not all followed, St. John to the new pasture. Meanwhile, Harbour Lights recognized the benefits of his site to their collectors and asked him if he would become webmaster of the "official" Harbour Lights website.

Following this came the 2nd reunion and many of the original AOL regulars and now many others with different ISPs were able to meet one another and the sun still shown brightly. We have in place a system that evolved and worked well over the years

As far as the "in" regulars are concerned - which ones are you talking about:
The original AOL bunch - many of whom are still on AOL and participating in the weekly chat room (every Tues 7pm PST)?
Those from other ISPs who joined the website chat room when it was first formed?
Those latecomers "newbies" who found us and enjoy us?

My feeling is "If you don't like it, don't join in". There is still plenty of space available on the internet. Do as John did, create your own website, invite one-and-all (as John has), or select only those who share YOUR particular interests. Don't ask John to do it, and if you do ask John, at least be polite.

Keep up the good work "St. John". Until something better comes along (fat chance), I'm with you all the way (or is that 'come rain or come shine'?).

The Ancient Mariner
Thank God you have the albatross, not me!

Re: Chat Topics for 3/3/99 #5215 03/06/99 10:46 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
John,

Let's close this. I'm starting 3/11/99 TOPIS

Moby

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,305 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users