cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Questions for the WebMaster re Photo Galleries #52004 02/20/02 12:04 AM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline OP
OP Offline
I wasn't sure where to ask these questions, so felt since it would probably be the webmaster who would make the ultimate decision(s), that this would be a good place to start! The photo galleries that I've seen on the website: can anyone get the opportunity to have one or do you have to have attained some level of expertise with photography beyond just that of amateur status to be allowed to have one? Secondly, if or when someone is allowed the privilege of having a photo gallery, do all the photos in the gallery have to be of lighthouses or can they be lighthouses and other photos?

------------------
Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest

Re: Questions for the WebMaster re Photo Galleries #52005 02/20/02 12:14 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
A higher level of expertise in composition and color is what sets apart the Gallery Photographers.

All that's required to be considered is to submit 2-3 sample images by email to webmaster@harbourlights.com .

It sometimes takes weeks for me to catch up on new Galleries. I have one in the wings but am putting off this one until the judging for the Photo Contest is over.

If you email me scanned or digital images, I prefer them sent as 72 dpi with the longest dimension 400 pixels. Please only send 2-3 samples first.

While the majority of your images should be lighthouses, a few can be non-lighthouses.

If you don't have access to a scanner, we'll find someone to scan them for you.

If you've got just 2-3 images total that you feel match the quality of those you see in the Galleries, I can add those to the 'Guest Gallery'

Re: Questions for the WebMaster re Photo Galleries #52006 02/20/02 02:08 AM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline OP
OP Offline
John:

Rather than e-mail you any further photos, there's already my 4 contest entries (2 lighthouse/2 non-lighthouse) that you can consider as a sampling of my photos as to whether or not you would consider me to be a good enough photographer to have a gallery on Harbour Lights. In addition, part of this past weekend I spent resizing a number of the lighthouse photos I took in Sept. when my husband and I were visiting with Gary Martin and I've been adding them to albums I've established on www.webphotos.com. There's a stormy, high wave one I posted in the Lighthouse Photography forum last night under the Blustery thread and just a few minutes ago, I started a new thread there on South Haven Sunset photos and posted 2 of my sunset photos. That gives you 3 more as samples of what I can do, so like I said rather than send you an e-mail with further ones, you can check those out and see what you think.

All of my photos since I started posting them to various photographic websites in June 2000 have been scanned at the time of their development on either 3-1/2" floppies or cds. Gary told me to pick the best of my slides of the ones I took while photographing with him in Sept. and he scanned them for me (where I didn't have a slide scanner at the time). When there were enough to fill a cd, he burned them onto one and mailed them to me; I in turn reimbursed him for materials and postage costs. I've got about 3-4 of the 6 cds from then that are all lighthouses (mostly South Haven), but also St. Joseph and Big Red at Holland, so it's just a matter of resizing, which I've already done with some. I also have more slides of South Haven, St. Joseph, Big Red and Grand Haven from my trip in Dec. from when I went back to MI to see an 11x14 matted and framed print of 1 of my contest entries hanging in an art gallery's Christmas show from the beginning of Nov.-the wk. before Christmas. I paid off the balance I owed on a slide scanner - a Minolta Dimage Scan Speed -- when I was there and have been scanning my own slides for about the last month. It's a slow learning process but I think the last few that I've scanned I've done pretty well with. The initial scans are sometimes too dark and I do what I can with them with the scanner software, then take them into Paint Shop Pro to get them as close as possible to the original slide. Thanks, btw, in responding so quickly to my questions!

------------------

[This message has been edited by 1of3trees@prodigy.net (edited 02-19-2002).]

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users