-Art
Re: YAT #46145 11/09/99 04:46 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Using cascading style sheets (CSS) to fiddle with links.

Testing CSS Link stuff

Here's the code:

[STYLE TYPE="text/css"]
A.test:link {font-size: 16pt; text-decoration:underline; background:navy; font-weight: 200; color:yellow}

What it does: The initial presentation of the link is shown as yellow on navy, underlined
A.test:visited {font-size: 12pt; text-decoration:underline;font-style: italic;Color:green}

What it does: Once the link has been visited, it gets changed to green and slightly smaller - still underlined so you know its a link
A.test:active {font-size: 16pt; text-decoration:none; Color:red}

What it does: When you click on it, and until you return to this page, the link should turn red
A.test:hover {font-size: 16pt; text-decoration:none;font-style: italic; background:red;font-weight: 200; color:white}

What it does: When you move your mouse over the link it will change color and become italicized
[/STYLE]

[a href="http://216.46.163.166/forums/Forum9/HTML/000170.html" CLASS="test" target=_blank]Testing CSS Link stuff [/a]

Note the inclusion of the CLASS tag

Please change square brackets to angle brackets to create a working example.

Rgds,
__
/im
[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 11-09-99).]

Re: YAT #46146 11/09/99 10:43 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Thanks, Tim. Seems to be working OK. I created a seperate .css file and class name called "rod" on my site to reference to. I noticed originally when I called mine "test" (same as yours), your color scheme took over mine, no matter what colors I specified. The class function must react throughout the remainder of the thread whenever used, even though you called it out on a different post. Probably a priority to the first post's scheme, if using the same name? Pretty cool stuff. I also noticed on yours that the default Forum colors are taking over for your LINK and VLINK scheme, the HOVER and ALINK work OK, but they are not taking over on mine when I use the .css seperate file. Is it maybe just because your href is this page (self), could that be playing games then? Not for sure why. Now if I could somehow get the text to change colors when I mouseover the entire table (like the background does), instead of just when I mouseover directly over the text itself! LOL

That is wild on your color scheme when your ALINK is activated, a mouseover will change it to italic, without changing the size and color back to the HOVER scheme. Wierd stuff.

PS: Anyone reading this thread with Netscape browsers are probably wondering what the heck we are talking about. The effects only work with IE 4.0 and 5.0. Netscape just ignores the effects.
Rod Watson

[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 11-09-99).]

Re: YAT #46147 11/09/99 03:29 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
>>your color scheme took over mine, no matter what colors I specified.<<

Welcome to inheritance and the 'cascading' portion of CSS. The cascading order is: Inline > Embedding > Linking. Here's an example that shows order of precedence:

Linked css file named:
yat.css: H3 {font-size: 30pt; Color:red}

HTML:
[LINK REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" HREF="yat.css"]

[STYLE TYPE="text/css"]
H3 {Color:blue; text-decoration:underline}
[/STYLE]

[H3 STYLE="color:green"]Welcome to Styles.[/H3]

And here's the result:

Welcome to Styles.

You could have subclassed my 'test' class to over-ride what you wanted to change.

One other note, Rod. The notion of a 'message' in these forums is just a higer level abstraction in relation to the page itself. The browser sees HTML and other things of which its aware, like CSS - but it has no knowledge of and does not act upon what we know as a 'message'. Unless coded to act otherwise, there is no discreteness between what is coded in one message versus another - its all just big glob of HTML and follows HTML rules. For example, once someone creates a class, it can be used throughout the page by anyone who knows its attributes. So you could take my ".help" class - used in my prior message to create the white-on-blue text - and use that in a subsequent message to do the same thing.

Another example is italicized text. See Art's sig in the message following this one. That comes from the code:

I {Color:blue; text-decoration:underline}
which I originally used in the demonstration of cascading. Ya gotta be careful of the impact you have on others - thats why its critical to localize styles to specific tags you use. I switched the tag from 'I' (italics) to 'H3' (Header3) to elminate the problem.

I think now, the various links are working in my example above. Problems stemmed from my trying to ignore the UBB parser - and that never works. :-)

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: YAT #46148 11/09/99 04:48 PM
Art Offline
I noticed that when I hovered over the "Testing CSS Link Stuff" link at the top of your posting dated 11-09-99 01:46 AM Eastern Time Zone, it went to the larger text size, lost the underline, and appeared in white text on a red field.

When I clicked on it, a new window opened as usual. But when I closed the new window, the link reappeared in the prior window in larger red text on the default field color, and not underlined. It did not return to what appeared to me initially as a smaller font, green & underlined, with the default field color.

Not nit-picking, thought you'd like to know.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: YAT #46149 11/09/99 04:53 PM
Art Offline
Interesting...

I didn't make my signature blue nor underlined. Must be residual code stuff. Lessee if it happens again:

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: YAT #46150 11/09/99 04:58 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Re-read my prior message Art, which I just added to after I saw your sig.

__
/

Re: YAT #46151 11/09/99 05:08 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
I think the blue underline you have, Art, came from Tim's 12:29 PM post, as a leftover from explaining the style inheritance. I don't think other threads will be effected with the signature scripts we are using, after leaving this particular thread.

The non-underlined red font you saw after returning was Tim's ALINK (active link) colors. The ALINK colors will stay "on" after returning to a page, until you click on the page somewhere, etc.

Re: YAT #46152 11/09/99 05:12 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
An re-read again - I chose a different tag than 'I' and so now the global impact the sample code placed on italics is gone. If any uses H3 though, it'll be back. :-) I guess I shouldn't keep adding to the same msg. cause folks have already read it and aren't expecting it to change. duh...

And yes - change focus from the link to something else and you should see the link change to the 'visited' style.

__
/im

Re: YAT #46153 11/09/99 05:16 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Oops, you answered Art while I was typing a response...........

Good point, Tim, on the specificity aspect of the scripting. That's why when I first tried the css a couple of days ago, it was effecting the whole page, which I didn't want to do and stopped. I have mine set up now that the table and text mouseovers would only work if someone links to my .js or .css file, with the "rod" class, and won't effect others signatures and links.

You know though, after opening up this can of dangerous worms, somewhere along the line we will be opening a thread which will have orange letters on a purple background, one large mouseover flashing background of fuschia, with the entire thread at 96 point font sizes! LOL.

Re: YAT #46154 11/09/99 05:53 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Yeah - I thought about that - and it led me to think maybe some of this stuff shouldn't be used or at least no actively encouraged. 'Oh, here ya go - a nice can of pink and blue spray paint - whatever works for you...'.

And with the potential to cause global changes - at least at a page level - I don't want to end up as the guy who comes in the middle of the night to clean the graffitti off the walls. ;->

Something about responsibility and power going hand in hand - quick Art, a pithy quote.

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: YAT #46155 11/09/99 06:32 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
I kinda' like my quote from Saturday...

"You can give a guy knowledge, and he will do stupid things with it for a day...OR ...you can teach a guy how to increase his own knowledge, but he will just create many more stupid things for the rest of his life."

Re: YAT #46156 11/09/99 07:43 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Careful, Rod...

...The Association of Guys might disbar you.

Re: YAT #46157 11/09/99 08:35 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Well... (whistling)... here's John.

You probably thought we were down here in the basement benignly futzing with how to play little movies.

Actually we're filling logic balloons with different colors of paint. Wanna help carry 'em upstairs? ;-)

__
/im

Re: YAT #46158 11/10/99 02:44 AM
Art Offline
Quote:
Something about responsibility and power going hand in hand - quick Art, a pithy quote

How is that one? (g)

Well, probably not what you had in mind, not too pithy and not very quick at all (a Guy's gotta work *sometime*, ya know ), but if I give ya more than one, does that make up for the other deficiencies?

Responsibility is the price of greatness.
-- Winston Churchill

Responsibility educates.
-- Wendell Phillips

The Buck Stops Here
-- Harry S. Truman

There is no realizable power that man cannot, in time, fashion the tools to attain, nor any power so secure that the naked ape will not abuse it. So it is written in the genetic cards - only physics and war hold him in check. And the wife who wants him home by five, of course.
-- Encyclopaedia Apocryphia

Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.
-- John Lehman, Secretary of the Navy, 1981-1987

I hate quotations.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

...and my personal favorite (which I think was penned by Thomas Jefferson), goes something like this:

With all these postings, what more is necessary to make us a happy and prosperous people? Still one thing more, fellow citizens -- a wise and frugal Cruise Director, which shall restrain Saints from injuring Wackos, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of the poster the code he has learned. This is the sum of good Fora, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicities.

(I may have a couple of the words wrong, since I’m working from memory.)

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: YAT #46159 11/10/99 10:56 PM
drwhok9 Offline
Is this topic an example of the phrase "filling the great void"? Give someone(s) a new toy and watch the fun.

Now if I have hours to read and try to understand this information or if this can be explained in English, then I will feel I have learned something this week. (No real need to reply in English just yet, I will read everything later and then ask my questions.)

------------------
Jim

Dr. Who ?

Jim
Dr. Who ?
Re: YAT #46160 01/26/00 01:45 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
I actually looked this one up at work the other day...

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,040 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users