Print Thread
Have you ever changed your mind? #4495 01/04/00 12:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Upon looking at my modest collection, I realized that at least half of them were purchased on impulse when I had specifically gone to a retailer to buy a totally different piece and a completly different one BECKONED (which I then bought instead).

Sometimes the way a certain piece was displayed completey changed it's appeal, both positively & negatively.

I just think that for half of my pieces to be selected like that made me pause & wonder about it. Is this a common phenomenon?

------------------
JB

[This message has been edited by JUL (edited 01-03-100).]

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4496 01/04/00 02:42 AM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
JB,

Yea, same problem, most of the time. Sometimes what would move me if I found a LE that I knew would soon be hard to find, I would go ahead and buy that piece, or if they had some of them on sale, I would get those.... No end to the craziness of HL buying...

Rusty

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4497 01/04/00 01:34 PM
M
MONTY Offline
M
That,s life ,one often errors.

Monty

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4498 01/06/00 10:00 PM
D
Deb Weissler Offline
D
At some point you come to realize that you may have to set some parameters on which lighthouses you are going to own. This usually happens when:
a) your credit card statement is greater than one month's take home pay,
b) you buy a $3600 teak wood curio cabinet to display your growing collection (don't looked shocked, it HAS happened),
c) you've covered every available flat surface in your house with HLs
d) you start taking the impulse buys to the office to display because you have run out of display space.
One or all of these situations can put a stop to impulse buying in a hurry.

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4499 01/06/00 10:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Deb!

LOL

Pretty Funny, I love it. (has someone been squealing on me?)

------------------
JB

[This message has been edited by JUL (edited 01-06-2000).]

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4500 01/06/00 11:41 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Yes

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 01-06-2000).]

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4501 01/07/00 02:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Despite being the primary bread winner, I'm not brave (or stupid) enough to charge anything without spousal approval . I have resorted to saving & hiding my lunch money (yes I'm an adult) and putting stuff on layaway 'till I can't stand it anymore. Then I go through my kids pockets ... I am about to have to deal with a problem related to the ones listed by Deb in that I now have to make my next acquisition MIRACULOUSLY appear in my display as if it had been there all along! Unfortunately i'ts the BRIGHT WHITE 2 piece Panama Canal set . Think she'll notice? ...Maybe if I turn the little one to have the black part facing forward, she won't see it.

------------------
JB

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4502 01/07/00 10:12 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hey Deb....wait till you have to put an addition on your home to accommodate the curio cabinets and store the boxes from all your HL purchases. The simplest thing to do is buy the whole collection and then all you have to do is get on a dealer's list of buying one of everything released. "It's Only Money!"

Bob

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4503 01/07/00 11:20 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Have I ever changed my mind?

What day is it! LOL

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4504 01/07/00 05:29 PM
Marzipan Offline
JB
I love how you describe your plan of action. As far as your spouse goes, have you considered hypnosis??

~Dale

~Dale Anne
Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4505 01/07/00 07:24 PM
RezmanDale Offline
I think I'm going to have to print this thread and give it to my wife.

Have I ever changed my mind? Everytime I look at a HL diplay.
I have done many of the things written here in this thread. I found a bunch of HL's at 50% retail but have no place to display them. I have several on lay-a-way at my local dealer and have run up my credit card higher than I would like to admit. I have one in my office and plan to bring about 6 more glows over because I have no room at home for them. I gave my wife a list of HL's I would like for gifts, everytime I go to the dealer she get nervous that I will buy one she has already put on lay-a-way for my birthday, or Valentines day. I guess these are signs of a real wacko. I have set the peramiters like Deb talks about but to no avail. My wife wants to know if anyone knows of an (AA) Harbour Lights Annonimous program I can join.

Dale

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4506 01/08/00 02:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dale... THE OFFICE what a great idea!!!

Hey I'm not kidding. As soon as I get the last $18.32 (plus tax) Wittle Bitty Miraflores & Gatun can come and hide out at my office! Then I can drum up some story about needing a new curio cabinet and SLIP THEM IN when I make the transfer . Pretend they've been there all along

Treachery & deceit (Well, no treachery but definitely deceit). A possibly not so rare side effect of HLDS (Harbour Lights Disadvantaged Syndrome)

If caught, will a group of SAINTS come to my aid?

------------------
JB

[This message has been edited by JUL (edited 01-08-2000).]

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4507 01/08/00 11:50 AM
D
Deb Weissler Offline
D
Bob M - actually I've already drawn up plans to add a lighthouse addition off the master bedroom! We have an annoyig neighbor with a row of spotlights over their garage that shines in all our windows. I would love to install an airport beacon light in the lens room to sweep across the front of their house, oh, every 10 seconds or so. I can picture the curved walls of the lighthouse addition with niches built in to contain my HL collection.

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4508 01/08/00 12:12 PM
E
easy Offline
E
Quote:
Originally posted by easy:
Quote:
Originally posted by DALE LAWRENCE:
[b]
My wife wants to know if anyone knows of an (AA) Harbour Lights Annonimous program I can join.

Dale
Dale, I do believe that this forum serves that purpose!

[/B]

[This message has been edited by easy (edited 01-08-2000).]

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4509 01/08/00 07:14 PM
S
Skip H. Offline
S
I have been going with the idea of a particular HL , usually coming home with a hard to find LE even if it doesn't appeal to me like most others. I guess something tells me to buy the older one's first, knowing someday i will regret it if i don't.

------------------

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4510 01/08/00 09:33 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
We have an annoyig neighbor with a row of spotlights over their garage that shines in all our windows

Deb, It sounds like you have the answer for lighting your curio's.

Digger

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4511 01/09/00 03:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SKIP,

With regards to buying older LE's, I bought one old one for some very specific reasons. I bought a ST. Georges reef because:

1)I had wanted to own at least one of the original models.
2)It was a very unique looking LH with an equally interesting history.
3)I got a great deal on it. (less than half price).

When It arrived, it didn't compare with any of the newer pieces, and the paint on it like many(?) of the first year pieces seemed to be a little on the "semi-gloss" side. Nevertheless, there is something about it that continues to appeal to me that I can't quite put my finger on. This particular piece serves it's purpose by having being part of the original legacy of HL. Although I know where other first year pieces are available, I don't think I'll be getting another one.

I think that every piece you buy represents something. Perhaps in your case it's an affinity for the legacy of the HL line. In my case my pattern seems to be differing or unique architectural styles. ie; although my wife thinks all lighthouses look alike, I think all mine are different- one caison, one screw pile, one brick tower, etc, etc.

Perhaps there is an underlying patterns in your pieces.

------------------
JB

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4512 01/09/00 04:59 PM
D
Deb Weissler Offline
D
Once you read the history of the building of St. George's Reef, you can't help but look at the HL version and appreciate the almost overwhelming challenges it took to construct such a light. It may be ugly to some, but the appeal of that piece is the sheer guts and determination it took to make it all come together.

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4513 01/10/00 12:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Deb,

I don't think I said nor even meant to imply that the St. Georges Reef piece & lighthouse might be ugly. On the contrary, I personally think it is quite attractive. I like the "fortress" type style of it's construction, and admire it's offshore solitude (La Jument style) for being one of the first bastions against what the Pacific weather brings.

Like other forum members, I think I was just making a comment that the first year HL pieces were not as "sophisticated" (is that word politically correct?) a miniature as their later models.

Regarding St. Georges Reef, I have a multiple page article about it in one book, several photos which are quite dramatic & colorful, and I have found information about it on the WWW including an initial effort to restore it. I can't begin to comprehend what it must have taken to build it including how they moved or where they placed the massive 34,000 pound stone reportedly on it there.

My only regret is that it will be dificult to visit. I hope that it can actually be seen from shore if I'm ever in the area.

I REALLY Dooooooooo Like the piece

------------------
JB

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4514 01/23/00 01:06 AM
D
Deb Weissler Offline
D
You misunderstood my comment. I was not implying that YOU thought it was ugly since you had already stated your preference for the piece. I do know, however, that the HL version was not a big seller because of its lack of appeal to those collectors who are only collecting the more attracive pieces. HL did a great job representing that light before restoration began. I'm glad someone else so obviously appreciates its beauty besides me!

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4515 01/23/00 04:43 AM
J
JULB Offline
J
Deb,

Gotcha!

FYI, the St. Georges Reef piece is certainly far from being as colorful as my other pieces and yet, almost without exception, it is the very first piece that I seem to glance at when I look at my display, despite it being nestled between a Rose Island & a Hillsboro. I just don't know what it is about it but it seems to have it's own "magic" with me. And although I sometimes walk away from the display without looking at some of the pieces, it also seems to me that I always look at that one EVERY single time for sure!

There's just something about it.....

I frankly can't understand why they didn't sell out or why they are still available here & there with an edition size of only 5500. Particularly, for those of us who came a little later into collecting HL's, it is an EASY, INEXPENSIVE, UNIQUE, & ATTRACTIVE piece to add nostalgia as well as to add an original HL heritage link to a more contemporary collection. I'm also glad to hear that you seem to like your's as much as I like mine

[This message has been edited by JULB (edited 01-23-2000).]

JB
Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4516 01/23/00 03:13 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
St. Georges was the last of the retired pieces that I wanted but was missing from my collection. I finally paid off my four-piece layaway and it's on its way to me. I have not been able to see one in person yet and only saw it in the catalog. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to have it. I know it's not as colorful or detailed as others, but I thought it was special in it's own design. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Joanne

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4517 01/23/00 04:15 PM
RRohweder Offline
JB,

You can see St. George Reef from shore on a clear day, but we have a lot of clouds and fog in Northern CA along the coast. If you get to the area, visit Battery Point at low tide (that's when you can walk to it), and the resident (Historical Society) keepers give a lovely tour. Then drive up the shoreline about 1 - 2 miles to Pt. St. George for the best chance of seeing the offshore lighthouse. You can also see it from the lamp room at Battery Point if it's clear.

Rich

------------------

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4518 01/23/00 06:44 PM
S
Skip H. Offline
S
JUL, My collection is up to only 18 pcs., but i have managed to find #106 North Head,#110 Yaquina Head and #115 St. Georges Reef. Also found #120 Grosse Point and Legacy Light #601. Also picked up #509 Sea Girt ( i just became a member of the coll. soc. last fall), i really like the Sea Girt. I guess i have been lucky somewhat then (for a change!) Skip

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? #4519 01/26/00 01:31 AM
Y
youngone Offline
Y
Hey Guys,
Ity's been awhile since I joined in the fun, but I was just released from the Betty Ford Clinic, (the Uncle Billy wing). There I received many different treatments to battle the awful affliction of HLS. I was forced to watch "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms", you know, the part where the monster knocks down the lighthouse. I was also subjected to a foghorn in the middle of the night, and a car headlight shone every ten seconds for three nights straight. I can finally say that the LIGHT is off my back, that's right I'm cured! I have no desires to purchase any further lighthouses. Excuse me for one second, I have to take my medication... OK I'm back, So the morale of the story is there IS A LIFE AFTER HL'S just not a very interesting one, have to go now, it's time for therapy.

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,309 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users