cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Testing Pictures #44060 09/23/99 10:05 PM
Jim Chesher Offline OP
OP Offline
This is a test of inserting pictures in my posts.
[img]http://www.jimbooth.com/daufu.htm[/img]
It appears not to work. All I see is a little box with a red X in it. Any Ideas??

[This message has been edited by jchesher (edited 09-23-99).]

Re: Testing Pictures #44061 09/23/99 11:13 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Here's why it doesn't work...

Your UBB code (psuedo HTML) reads:

(IMG)http://www.jimbooth.com/daufu.htm(IMG)

(I substituted parentheses for the square brackets)

The problem is with the '.htm' text in your code. '.HTM', as a file name extension, refers to HTML, which means a Web page and the (IMG) tag won't work with Web pages. What you intend to point to is not a Web page but an image. Images have various extensions, most typically '.JPG' which refers to the 'jpeg' format used to store it. The image on the page you wanted to display is: dafuskie1.jpg not dafu.htm.

I would have fixed your code and caused the image to display, however I don't know if the web page or the picture on it is your own property. If you are not the author of the picture, or have the author's permission, you should not post the image here. (The image is on a page that appears to belong to something called the 'Jim Booth Art Gallery, Inc.)

The issue is no different than reprinting a picture or a chapter from a book without the author's permission. Not to single you out, this is forum policy and standard netiquette.

Check the 'Fourm About This Forum' for guidelines and assistance for how to post an image - like this one, fer instance . If your Internet Service Provider (ISP) offers you disk storage, you can place your own stuff there and refer to it with the IMG tag and it will show up. Let me know if you need more assistance, happy to oblige.

Rgds,
__
/im
[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 09-23-99).]

Re: Testing Pictures #44062 09/24/99 10:29 PM
Jim Chesher Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the info on my problem with pictures. Also appreciate the info on forum policy. If I were interested in suggesting a lighthouse for future HL manufacture and wanted to include a picture of it so others could see it am I right to assume that it could be done with a link to the page rather than the actual picture. Would that be OK?

------------------
Jim Chesher

Re: Testing Pictures #44063 09/25/99 01:05 AM
Art Offline
Sure Jim,

Many of us do that all the time. That approach preserves the source. Use the [url] tags instead of the [img].

------------------
-Art

-Art

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users