Print Thread
Testing #43600 07/27/98 12:35 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
This is a test of using bold in a forum message.

Looks like it works - and its simple to do - here's how.

Surround the words you wish to have in a bold font with the HTML tags:

[strong]...stuff to be in bold[/strong]

BUT - because of this wacky forum software, substitute the 'less than character' for the left bracket and the 'greater than character' for the right bracket.

Feel free to use this thread to boldly test and otherwise practice this HTML tidbit. [g]

Rgds,
__
/im [but granny grammar sez: watch those split infinitives y'hear. ;-> ]

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA.]

Re: Testing #43601 07/28/98 08:44 AM
V
Vermonter Offline
V
What?
Duh !!!. Never mind

^^^^^
@ @
[This message has been edited by Vermonter.]

Re: Testing #43602 07/28/98 11:01 AM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
This is a BOLD word

Re: Testing #43603 07/28/98 11:57 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Ok, so now we can boldly go where no man has gone before.

So how about teaching us to make type BIGGER and in COLOR? Must be something like 'strong' isn't it?

Re: Testing #43604 07/28/98 07:18 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Quote:
So how about teaching us to make type BIGGER and in COLOR?

Ok. :-)

Weighing over ten feet tall
Feet of clay, head of gold
Middle made of cannon balls

Rumour has it swallowed whole
Mineral, without a soul
That's the story being told
The estimated, undefeated
Lighthouse of the world

Big yet unfamiliar
Think bigger than the biggest bar

Think big thats only half as far
Bigger
Better
Twice as hard
Outsized, extra large
Velocity very fast

Bigger than the closest star
Bigger than the motor car

Quick
quiet
confident
Comfortable, permanent
Undisputed every tense

Not a trace of what was left
More equal than the best
Unparalled success

Everybody v. impressed?

Is it not
the BIGGEST YET?

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: Testing #43605 07/28/98 08:20 PM
LamarB Offline
is this even

BIGGER YET?

Re: Testing #43606 07/28/98 08:20 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Ok font fans, here's how ya do it...

As you may have garnered by now, HTML (Hyper-text Markup Language) is made up of tags. To fiddle with the fonts, we put a tag in front of what we want to modify and then mark the end of the modification with a closing tag.

The change of a font size on an HTML page is a relative change. That is we'll make the font larger or smaller than what you, good browser user, has selected as your default. Thus the size we change to is relative to your starting font size.

To change font size here is the code:

[font size="+2"] ...font to change... [/font]

- note the "+2" is the amount to increase relative to your default font size - and it must be surrounded by quotes, as shown in the example

- note the closing tag - its required (most of the time ;-> )

Want to add a bit of color? The technique is similar:

[font color="Blue"].font to change.[/font]

And, as you probably already guessed, you can combine the attributes:

[font size = "+2" color="Blue"].font to change.[/font]

Note: again you must substitute the 'less than' character for the left bracket and the 'greater than' character for the right bracket.

Again - feel free to practice fiddling with fonts in this thread.

Extra points bonus question: the preceding message was edited by yrs. truly. Do you see the standard
[The message was edited by JTimothyA] ? No? How did I hide it?

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: Testing #43607 07/28/98 08:33 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Quote:
Extra points bonus question: the preceding message was edited by yrs. truly. Do you see the standard
[The message was edited by JTimothyA] ? No? How did I hide it?

You didn't....it is white!
I get the extra points. Yea for me

-RodW

[This message has been edited by Rod Watson.]

Re: Testing #43608 07/28/98 09:32 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks Guys!!!

Re: Testing #43609 07/28/98 11:50 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
de nada

Re: Testing #43610 07/29/98 08:33 AM
V
Vermonter Offline
V
Okay, so let's see . . .

If I REALLY want one of the lighthouses you have, I might give away that ENVY through use of color.

If I really disagree and become quite ANGRY, I could theoretically SHOUT at you.

Of course I never would!.

Paul F. - VTER

Re: Testing #43611 07/31/98 02:49 PM
M
Melissa Offline
M
I just want to know how RodW does his signature.

Re: Testing #43612 07/31/98 04:55 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Quote:
I just want to know how RodW does his signature.

A little complicated, but here we go (I'm not much of a communicator/teacher. LOL)...

Like Tim has shown before, anywhere I show an [ or ] below, they should be replaced with a "less than character" on the left, and a "greater than character" on the right in the tags.

First of all I added the little line above the signature to separate it from the text of the message. This is done by adding an [hr] at the start of the signature tag.

Secondly, I italisized the entire signature with an tag in front and an tag at the very end.

Third, I "colored" the signature. I use the numbering system to choose a color which comes from the "RGB Color Chart" (I added a link below to the RGB site). A specific number represents a specific color, which gives way to a vast choice of colors. I happen to use the color #336699. This is done by using [font color="336699"] tag at the front, and a [/font color="336699"] tag at the end. Note that there is a space in the tag between "font" and "color".

Next, I have changed the style of the font to "Comic Sans MS"". Since some MAC computers may not read Comic Sans, I threw in the "Arial" style to the tag also to be safe. The style is accomplished by using [font face="comic sans ms, arial"] I combined the above color and face style into one tag though, which results in [font color="#336699" face="comic sans ms, arial"] Note the spaces in the tag again.

Next, I "sized" the "-R" and the "W" as a size "5". This is done by using a [font size=5] tag in the front of the letter, and a [/font size=5] tag at the end of the letter. Same thing is done with "od", except I used a size "4". Note the spaces in the tags again.

Finally, I slept for a couple of hours because I was tired of thinking. I saved the entire tag on my computer so I can copy and paste each time I use it...I would never remember it otherwise! (or have to think way too much)

The entire tag then looks like:
[hr][font color="#336699" face="comic sans ms, arial"][font size=5]-R[/font size=5][font size=4]od[/font size=4][font size=5]W[/font size=5 color="#336699"]

If you don't end the tag with the "stopping" tags. ie:[/....] then any time you edit your message, the "this message was edited by..." will also be italisized, colored, and sized too, because it comes after the signature. That is why the color, italicism, and font size was "stopped" with the end tags.

"RGB Color Chart":
http://www.phoenix.net/~jacobson/rgb.html

This concludes the daily lesson from the student teacher. Time to sleep some more. How did I do, Professor Tim?

-RodW

[This message has been edited by Rod Watson.]

Re: Testing #43613 08/01/98 12:04 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Quote:
How did I do, Professor Tim?

Thanks Rod! You done reeel good. You deserve your nap. ;->

In the near future I'll post a summary guideline of the HTML text formatting tips covered in this forum. Meanwhile, for those interested here are a few more tidbits.

The underlining in Rod's message is accomplished with the u tag.

For example: [u]..stuff to underline..[/u]

In a previous 'testing' thread I showed how to format text as emphasized. On the vast majority of computer/browser combinations emphasized text translates out as italics. So in practical terms for these setups, the ... tag pair is functionally equivalent to the [em]...[/em].

Likewise the [strong]..stuff in bold...[/strong] tags are functionally equivalent to the ...in bold... tag set.

If you really want to annoy folks you can try the [blink]..don't you dare[/blink] tags.

And for you legal types, you can toss in strike through with ..stuff to strike. Likewise [strike]...[/strike] will work.

Please note most of the effects are a function of your computer, its video capabilities, and the version of HTML supported by your browser.

The vast majority of folks are using a Weendows-based browser (Win16 or Win32) and the vast majority of those are using Netscape Navigator or Internet Exploder. Each of these browsers supports some 'special' features not supported by its competitors. Of course use of these features renders them untenable for all but the browser under which they are supported. Its generally considered tacky (at least imo) to have effects not available to all. 'Course this doesn't stop the browser vendors from developing their own special features in hopes of locking-in attracting more folks to their product.

Unbeknownst to many, there's a vicious battle going on both outside and inside your computer for market share. Most hardware/software vendors recognize themselves as competing with cable and broadcast TV for 'eyeballs'. Why are all these great free internet sites springing up constantly. In hopes of selling your attention span to advertisers. Just like TV, and print media. Once computers achieve a combination of power and low price to render truly life-like full-motion video, then look out. But I drift off subject...

There are quite a few more HTML tags related to character formatting. Even tags to format 'white space' - that stuff between words and characters that we can't really do without. (pickup a copy of Sartre's Being and Nothingness for more on the ontologically defining characteristics of the stuff between. %^O ) I suspect eventually we'll cover those tags of interest here or elsewhere.

In the meantime St.John has provided us with this nice little test bed, so feel free to fire away! Just try to keep it light and housey.

Rgds,
__
/im [from the Font Signal Building, lol]

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 03-22-99).]

Re: Testing #43614 08/01/98 11:02 AM
M
Melissa Offline
M
I feel like I am back in school again.

Thanks,

I will try it out sometime this week-end I hope.

I would paint you both a "kiss" on the screen if I know how....

Melissa *}x{*

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users