Print Thread
Why are you here? #43573 03/18/01 04:19 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
We've asked how often you participate. Now the really interesting question: Why do you participate in the Collector Forums?

Its tempting to make up a list of reasons for folks to select from. (HL information, Ask questions about models, Look for Retired pieces, Fun, Sense of Community, Make New Friends, etc.) But its more interesting to hear from you in your own words. So...

What's your main reason for participating in the Forums? What's it mean to you?

I'll get the ball rolling.

I come here because of the sense of comraderie, friendship, and to learn neat stuff about Harbour Lights and Lighthouses.

__
/im

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 03-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 03-18-2001).]

Re: Why are you here? #43574 03/18/01 02:01 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I came to find more information about Harbour Lights.

I come back for the humour, knowledge and general good experience that I have had interacting with others on the forums.

You can usually find an answer to just about any question here. Not just Harbour lights. The level of intelligence and civility shown here is refreshing.

There are many places that you go on the Web where you are "flamed" if you veer off the narrow topic of the List/ forum. this doe's not happen here.

We usually even disagree nicely. Not alwasy , but most of the time.

I find it a pleasure to come back each and every time. I've only meet face to face with a very small number of Wackos/ Newbies, but each one was a pleasure and I can't wait to meet more.

Dennis

Dennis

Re: Why are you here? #43575 03/18/01 03:26 PM
GerryBu Offline
The main reason I come back to these forums is to find out what is going on with Harbour Lights and to learn more about lights from the knowledgeable people on these forums. An added bonus is the comaderie and friendship with people of similar interests. Its just a lot of fun. GerryBu

Re: Why are you here? #43576 03/18/01 08:38 PM
T
TGIFIF Offline
T
I came first to find out more about Harbour Lights. But I found out more about lighthouses period. & the best part I found is the WONDERFULL PEOPLE. Before I started with HL I never spoke to anyone I did not already know. How I talk to people I never met who are just wearing lighthouse apparel. These forums & the people I have meet through them have had a very positive impact on me.

TGIFIF

Re: Why are you here? #43577 03/19/01 12:45 PM
J
JCRice Offline
J
I came in originally looking for information on HL (the dealer that I deal with isn't usually too helpful ). But, in addition to that, I have found myself surrounded by very pleasent, courteous, and funny people who actually UNDERSTAND the whole appeal of collecting Harbour Lights. It's always nice to know that there is a group (no matter how small) out there that share in your hobbies .

And, in addition to all of that, I have been fortunate to find and buy 3 lighthouses from other forum members to help round out my collection. That was an unexpected (and VERY nice) bonus to the whole experience...

--Jeff
Re: Why are you here? #43578 03/19/01 12:51 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
I come here to virtually get together with a great bunch of people and when something comes up I don't agree with to put in my 2 cents.Bill O'Brien oseabee

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Why are you here? #43579 03/19/01 04:36 PM
Rock Online
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Used to be for the camaraderie but haven't found much over the past few years, so now it's usually just for updates on HL and their products.

Re: Why are you here? #43580 03/19/01 05:11 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
My reply is pretty much the same as Rock's. Info and rumors keep me coming back. I attend chats for pretty much the same reason. There's more "." posted there more and more often for me. I see very few of the original gang attending these chats which is disheartening for me. Some have come and gone. There was even poor responce to my posting about Voice Chats so I take that two ways, one, 650+ registered members aren't interested or they don't own a microphone and speakers?

Re: Why are you here? #43581 03/19/01 07:39 PM
Rock Online
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would love to be able to chat w/you in person, Sean, but I just don't have the necessary equipment at home...my access to this site is limited to work hours as well (sshhh, don't tell my boss)...

Re: Why are you here? #43582 03/19/01 09:08 PM
Brent Offline
I initially joined out of curiousity. In the area where I live there really aren't many HL collectors and I was looking for an "outlet" to find out how other collectors felt (in general) about the product, tips, history, rumors, etc., etc. The comraderie, friendships, and networking are an added bonus that I hadn't expected. Imho, it is truly a unique site that I consider priceless!!

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Why are you here? #43583 03/19/01 11:48 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
My interest in HLs and lighthouses put me in a different category than any of my friends and family. When I found this site I knew that I was not alone.

Many times over, I have been given great information about Harbour Lights and lighthouses all over the world and feel like I have learned so much, not only about lighthouses-but about human nature. Collectors seem to have the information or know just where to access it to share with all the other forum members.

The friendships that have been formed as a direct result of this website have kept me coming--again and again. I have met a lot of the forum regulars and expanded my borders by getting to know them. They have made a difference in my life and have proven time after time to be true friends.

There are many times that I do not respond to postings...either I don't have an opinion, I don't have the technology needed to do certain things(at home or at work), or I want to learn from everyone else rather than show my ignorance. As long as others don't throw rotten fruit at me, I'll keep showing up.

Derith

[This message has been edited by Nana (edited 03-19-2001).]

Re: Why are you here? #43584 03/20/01 01:33 AM
Beaconfollower Offline
Simply to share my love an interest in Lighthouses and HLS with many nice and informative people. Besides I happen to think we are a special lot..

Sheryl

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: Why are you here? #43585 03/20/01 02:42 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
When I first started collecting Harbour Lights, I was fortunate to stumble upon John Chidester's old Harbour Lights Collectors Information Center while serching the web for more information on Harbour Lights. I immediately joined the Keepers section of the web site, which for a small fee allowed you new information on HL's a week or so before it became general public knowledge.

When Harbour Lights made John the Webmaster of HL.com and the old HLCIC became the new HL site and the new and current "Forum" system system was established I just came along for the ride. The great information was still there for the asking and more people became involved further expanding the knowledge base on Harbour Lights. I treasure the freindships formed over the internet from this site. The quest for information brought me in, but the people are the icing on the cake.

I used to be much more involed in the forums and the chats, but now I have become more of a "Lurker". My interest and desire in collecting Harbour Lights hasn't decreased, but priorities in my life have dictated what direction my participation here in the forums has taken.

Oh yeah, why am I here?

The people and unending information about HL's.

-Todd

Re: Why are you here? #43586 03/21/01 09:38 PM
E
Elanguy Offline
E
I have to agree, I came here both for the information about HLs and for all the nice people on the forums. I observed for a while, but had to get involved. Happy to be here!

Re: Why are you here? #43587 03/22/01 05:19 AM
Art Offline
It's all been said above (and in far fewer words ) but the reason that I come here? In a word, "fun".

I enjoy coming here. I enjoy the learning I have done here on everything from HLs to HTML to philosophy to macroeconomics. I enjoy the virtual camaraderie. I enjoy reading about and interacting, even arguing, with others having sometimes very different world-views than my own.

Our little, HL-centric microcosm here is a great place to interact with people having a wide variety of backgrounds who share a common interest. Asside from the best information on Harbour Lights, I can find here all kinds of intellectual stimulation and interaction without straying far from the safety of our familiar central topic. This interaction on a variety of topics from music to GLOWs has caused me to better understand and solidify my own thoughts and opinions regarding not only the immediate topic matter, but also more global concepts. Seeking out such interaction without the HL glue and/or partial anonymity offered by the medium can be a bit scary for introverts like me, and getting such interaction on my own time schedule (it's around 1:20 a.m. here now) allows for much more of this interaction to take place than would otherwise.

-Art
Re: Why are you here? #43588 03/22/01 12:07 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
What Art said.

I started collecting Harbour Lights because I liked them. I kept collecting them because of the other collectors I 'met' on the Internet.

I tried to organize a Phoenix Area Club in 1997 - but there are so few of us here (it seems) that I stuck with the much bigger (and greater) 'club' on the Internet.

Re: Why are you here? #43589 03/23/01 12:39 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Some of the greatest, and nicest, people on the Internet hang around at the CF. They say people judge you by the company you keep. Need I say more?

Bob

Re: Why are you here? #43590 03/23/01 10:11 PM
L
lightbear Offline
L
Rich & I have browsing around the site for
a long time and have purchased some of the
older lighthouses this way. I think what
really made us decide to jump into the forums
was the thought that Baltimore will be our
first reunion and it would be nice to learn
more about the lighthouse lovers we might
meet there. Also, now that Sean's deserted
us for the east coast, we wanted to make sure
that the west coast still hangs in there.

Rich & Marilyn

Re: Why are you here? #43591 03/24/01 02:45 AM
Art Offline
Geez, how could I have forgotten the painting lessons? I come here for painting lessons, too!

(Great work, Digger!)

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Why are you here? #43592 03/30/01 04:46 AM
I
Iris1 Offline
I
My reasons are listed above by most of you ... and stated so eloquently as well. I started mostly to get information about HL and the Reunion, then fell head over heels in awe of the amount of information available, the fellowship amongst the members, the good-natured ribbing, the helping of those of us newbies (who didn't know where to go at first! !), and so many other things. This is truly a unique BB, and I have seen many and this one has not degenerated into what I have seen happen so sadly elsewhere!

Thanks to all involved!

Iris

Re: Why are you here? #43593 03/30/01 02:07 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Iris1:
This is truly a unique BB, and I have seen many and this one has not degenerated into what I have seen happen so sadly elsewhere!

Thanks to all involved!

Iris

I could not agree more. One reason this has not happened is that while we are likely to disagree on some things some time it is not allowed to become personally abusive.

It happens rarely and is dealt with in an appropriate manner by one of the Cruise directors or Webmaster (in concert with other Forumites).

We like to interact with each other and agree to disagre, just try and do it as pleasntly as possible.

Dennis

Re: Why are you here? #43594 03/30/01 04:29 PM
D
don stewart Offline
D
I think just about everything has ben said by now and I visit for all the same reasons. I would like to thank john and all the other people envolved who make all this posible

don

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,363 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users