Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Have you noticed? #43305 08/15/98 07:41 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
One of the things I've done at www.harbourlights.com is that when a hyperlink will take you off of this site, it opens a new browser window rather than replacing the content of the current window.

Some browsers open a full screen window and others open a smaller window. You may need to go to the new window - or the 'old one' back at www.harbourlights.com when you're done looking at the outside information.

I've also set the forums to open in a new window. I did this because it's not always easy to return to the main core page from the forum pages. If this is a problem, I can offer two buttons - one for replacement window and the other for new window. Let me know.

John

Re: Have you noticed? #43306 08/16/98 10:59 AM
LamarB Offline
It works great just the way it is John. Your selection of when to browse in a new window and when not to is very convenient.

Once again, thank you for all your had work and well thought-out options on the new site.

Lamar

Re: Have you noticed? #43307 08/18/98 04:33 PM
J
Jeff Hix Offline
J
Using a hyperlink to open a new window is something that should be used sparingly. Each new window consumes memory and can soon become a problem for those who don't have a lot of memory (in their PCs) to begin with. I think you are using this functionality judiciously and are doing a great job so far.

As for your mention of browsers opening different sized windows, I think that you will find that that is true for just about all Windows programs.

Huh? Let me explain. Most Windows programs are written with a function that "remembers" the size of its window the last time it ran. This is assumed to be a user's preference and so it is saved and rememebered (written to disk). Resize your browser window and then exit the browser. When you start it up again it will most likely be the same size it was when you closed it.

This only works if you exit the program gracefully. If you set your window size and then hit the power switch on your PC, it probably won't work too well.

Try starting up each of the browsers you have been using and one-by-one, maximize them and then exit them. Then next time you start them up, they should be full-screen. And when you click on a link that opens a new window, it should also be full-screen.

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,316 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users