Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Another one bites the dust... #4309 02/27/04 06:17 PM
Rock Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Another CA HL dealer (Dolls, Gifts & More in Danville) has dumped the line...whoever is responsible for revising the dealers list, please take note.

Also, another CA dealer (Scan Trends in San Francisco) is now Scandinavian Trends. They expanded their name to discourage phone calls from people thinking that they were a Kinko's (seriously).

Re: Another one bites the dust... #4310 02/28/04 11:53 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I don't think any of us want to see a business drop the HL line, but if they do, it's for a reason.

Although I bought my first HL in the summer of 1994, I didn't start a serious collection until 1997. I still remember all those side trips to businesses listed as HL dealers. I would enter most of the stores and I basically had a hard time finding the HL's. I would ask the clerk where they were and he or she would show me a shelf or two of HL's mixed in with other collectibles.

Some stores I frequented had separate areas exclusively for HL's. Some stores had them in locked cases while others had them out where people could handle them. I remember cringing watching customers reach in and not being careful while they were removing a lighthouse to look at. Little chips and missing ventilator balls were common in some store displays.

Back then I always felt that HL's weren't promoted enough. I don't mean by the Youngers, but by the stores themselves. I always felt that a dealer carrying Harbour Light products should have a sign in their front window promoting the fact they sold these little treasures.

I also found that most store clerks were not familiar with the HL line other than "there they are, the price is on the bottom." I ended up giving them a quick lesson about HL's so they would know a little more about them.

I guess what I'm getting to is the fact that HL's don't sell themselves in every case. An educated sales rep could benefit from knowing more about HL's and be willing to introduce a consumer to the line and tell them more about where they came from, and where they are heading.

There's a line of stores in our area named "Simms". Their motto is "An educated consumer is our best customer!" You know what? They are right! Another line of stores in our area are the "Christmas Tree Shops". They sell giftware, candles, cards, picture frames, dishes, dried flowers, and other stuff at unbelievably low prices. Why do they do it? It's because they buy it even cheaper. You can buy alleged collectibles (definite giftware) for less than a couple of bucks. So the uneducated consumers flock to these stores to buy their future "dust-gathering giftware". Do you think any of those folks would consider coughing up $75 for one lighthouse? The correct answer is, NO! These people are looking for bargains!

In my opinion, Harbour Lights must do more to convince dealers to promote their product. Store clerks must be taught more about the product so they can educate potential new collectors when they enter the store. Stores need to start with a sign in the front window promoting HL's. Maybe even a guest appearance by a connected-collector once in awhile offering insight into the HL experience. Get the word out!

What's that you say? Who is going to stop and listen to a connected-collector? You may not draw a large crowd but just think if each dealer got two or three new collectors to sign up for each limited edition!

We know from experience that if a person gets hooked on HL's and becomes a member of the Harbour Light's Family of Friends, they will keep coming back. In my opinion, this is Harbour Light's secret to success. Those of us who know the Youngers, realize this. People who shop at the "Christmas Tree Shops" will never get that experience.

Is it time for a change in marketing strategy? Not totally, but expiramenting with a few new ideas couldn't hurt.

What do you think?

confused Bob confused

Re: Another one bites the dust... #4311 02/29/04 04:19 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I would like to add, something, possibly a bit Non Sequiteur, but that fits in with what Bob says.

My local Hallmark is my retailer. Every time we buy cards, I make sure to check the HLs out. Why I bother, I don't know.

The display consists of a 2.5' by 1' shelving unit, and an enclosed hexagonal 5-shelf unit. They still have the 2001 brochures out. I almost had a stroke when the other day, I saw...could it be? EAST BROTHER. Right on top of the Coney Island Club display. They were giving out Coney Island brochures, too.

There is one piece that is broken. They have a Fort Jefferson, FL that the gallery came off of. All the pieces are high numbers. They never move. They could have some good stuff there, not sure. If so, it's probably faded beyond belief.

This whole display is right against the front wall. You can see the HLs through the window. But they don't promote them. They promote the stupid Hallmark stuff they sell. Or the Harley stuff. I could probably buy the whole stock out for cheap. They'd be glad to be rid of it to sell more of their stuff.

This shows the decline of the HL retailer. It's really quite sad.

Re: Another one bites the dust... #4312 03/01/04 03:16 PM
Rock Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
HL didn't need promoting (in-store or otherwise) when they kept to making nice, neat little LE's...they practically flew off the shelves. Then they increased edition numbers (not to mention the SIZES of their LE pieces) and started pumping out all of this open-edition giftware that's been clogging dealer shelves for years now. Combining this with a downturn in the economy, and it's a deadly combination.

In the case of Dolls, Gifts and More in Danville, CA, an upscale gift store in an upper middle-class area, they might've benefitted from a more regional approach to the HL line. I know I would've bought a CA piece every now & then if there'd been one on the shelf instead of a St. Joseph, FL you could park your truck against...

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,305 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users