Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Posting photos #42468 07/25/10 03:17 PM
wvlights0 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Seems like alot of people, me included, have had a hard time posting photos. There are members who gave up years ago on posting photos. I thought maybe a new thread to ask questions would help.

This thread has all the information for posting photos. Its a very good idea to print it out.
posting photos

If you don't have the program Microsoft Photo Editor, you can download it here
Microsoft Photo Editor

Of course there are many other programs, but the directions are for this one. Main thing is you need a way to resize and change the resolution of your photo.

Print out the directions and then go step by step. Put a photo in the "Test Pad". When you get stuck, post here and someone will help you.
Who will be the guinea pig that will try for the first time, or try again?

Laura
Re: Posting photos #42469 07/25/10 10:59 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks Laura groupwave

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Posting photos #42470 07/25/10 11:52 PM
WVsister Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I have something wrong. Please Help

Nancy
Re: Posting photos #42471 07/26/10 12:36 AM
wvlights0 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
The first URL is close to showing a picture, you have a dash showing. I get them frequently. I think there might be an error in the file name in the first URL.

Suggestion: Make the file name as simple as possible, there will be less room for error.

As to why the second URL shows up differently, that would take a Saint to say.

Laura
Re: Posting photos #42472 07/26/10 01:39 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Laura, this thread gives your link above as well as one about avatars and a link to the posting page.

Through the threads listed we have tried to give directions on how to post photos. It really isn't complicated and we even provide space to store the images you want to post. For most, I think the major problem tends to be sizing their photos to post. One other thing I would ask is that when you post photos, please let them be compressed when you resize them. Believe it or not, there are still some people using dial up and wben there is a thread with lots of photos that are each 250k+ in size it can make for slow loading. And, if you are one who clears your cache, every time you revisit that thread you have to again download every one of those photos.

Re: Posting photos #42473 07/26/10 03:10 PM
wvlights0 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Dave, the fact is that for some of us, it is complicated to begin with. Once you get the process down, its easy! I think that being able to upload pictures here adds so much to the forum and your providing space to store them is great. I will check into the compression of files.

Laura
Re: Posting photos #42474 07/26/10 03:45 PM
wvlights0 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Some tips and tricks - yes I know some are repeats.
1. Make a separate file to store your photos in that are resized for the forum. That way you know where they are. You don't inadvertently write over your original photo. You don't reuse a name for an upload and overwrite a previous photo.
2. Save the uploads page as a favorite/bookmark. Then you don't have to go looking for it.
3. When you bring up the 'uploads page' do it in a separate window from where you are wanting to post your picture. When the 'successful' screen comes up, leave it there. You can copy and paste the information into the "Image" box in your post. And you can go back and get it again if you need to.
4. On the 'Uploads' page, after you select the file to upload and click 'Open' your cursor is still in that window. Use your arrow keys to move to the right and see the exact name of your file including the extension. Write it down.
6. When you paste the information into your 'Image' box in your post and you enter your email and file name, you don't need the path on your computer, just the file name and extension. (Some of the computer people will be shaking their heads, but trust me, I have inside information that its been tried.)
7. An extremely easy place to make a mistake is spaces and capital letters. If you get the dash or red x, look for a typo.
8. Don't get frustrated! Figure it will take you a few tries to get it right. Leave your attempts in place and we can figure out the problem.

Anyone else want to add some possible pitfalls?

I know there are beautiful photos of lighthouses out there that I haven't seen. Come on and give it a try. I have set this thread so that I get an email anytime there is a post and I will solve what I can and the Saints will march in when necessary. laugh

Laura

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,191 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users