Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42350 11/04/05 09:16 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
We're open to extending the reach and interest in the Collector Forums.

There have been mentions in the past weeks about a Forums for pets, books, and (indirectly) kids and grandkids.

What are your desires folks? Do we need one on "other hobbies", "politics" (just kidding) or ???

Any of the cruise directors feeling overworked, underappreciated or just wanting to retire and turn the controls over to someone else, let us know. We happy to have you.

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42351 11/04/05 10:23 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
John - I would like to have a Forum dedicated to Hobbies such as Stamps, Coins, Trains, etc. Another Forum could be for Collectibles such as Sports Items, Shoes, Guitars, Hummels, etc. As far as being overworked as a moderator, no one told me that we had to send you and Dave Krispy Kremes every week and that the job was a 24/7 with no vacation or holiday pay. I'm good with the 2 Forums I currently have and if a volunteer is needed for the Hobbies Forum and/or Collectibles Forum you can add it to my workload seeing as how I'm up all night anyway.

Rich
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42352 11/04/05 10:30 PM
beachcomber Offline
I'm not sure what you are asking. Would a forum such as Rich is proposing be totally separate from the lighthouse forum? Wouldn't it be just a different thread, such as when the dogs thread got started? Please enlighten me. Maybe, in this context, I am not understanding the terminology.

beachcomber
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42353 11/04/05 10:39 PM
beachcomber Offline
Okay, I went back to look at the home page and I think I understand better. So what you are proposing to do then is revamp the home page to list other forums like Rich wants, right?

beachcomber
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42354 11/04/05 10:39 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Grace - I believe that John is talking about just adding Sub-Forums to the Collector Forums. Same place, different subject forums.

John - While I'm on a roll, what about another Marketplace Forum for selling/trading coins, stamps, Hummels, sports items, etc. as long as it is in good tastes. No guns, knives, cars, etc. The items must be considered collectible and listed in a "Collectibles Magazine". Again, if a moderator volunteer is needed count me in

Rich
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42355 11/04/05 11:46 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Expanding the CF with new forums is an excellent idea. I'm sure our members have other interests they may like to share with the forum friends.

Perhaps a "Hobbies, etc" forum would be a wonderful way for our members to express themselves beyond our usual lighthouse related material. My interests go beyond lighthouses and collecting Harbour Lights. I'm sure yours do too. I like to work in the yard and garden. I like to cook and try various new recipes and techniques in preparing meals. I've collected Lionel Trains. I've collected license plates. I like to go island hopping on my boat. I enjoy driving my Vette and my "Hemi" pickup. I enjoy eating out and fine dining. I really enjoy my new "fuzzy friend", Cosmo, and I'm seriously thinking of adding another Coton de Tulear to the family next spring.

Perhaps we should expand the New Marketplace to include other items other than just Harbour Lights products. I don't want to turn it into a free flea market mistake, but I do feel with strict regulations it would work. Steps could be taken to prevent first time visitors from posting their wares then riding off into the sunset. We would have to require a poster to have a certain amount of regular posts before he or she could post in that forum. I'm sure there are a few purists out there that will fight this but I think it would work with proper monitoring.

What say you out there?

smile Bob smile

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42356 11/04/05 11:54 PM
beachcomber Offline
From what little experience I have here, it just seems that some of the topics fade away within a matter of a couple of days. Of course, then rather unexpectedly something will resurface. There just seem to be a lot of forums. Maybe compacting a little might help? I'll leave it to those who have been active on a regular basis.

beachcomber
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42357 11/05/05 09:29 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I am all for Rich's sugestion about the "Hobbies Forum" ... I have been looking for a good place to show off some of our philatelic lighthouse items wink So... YES please!
And I could get interested in a "Trains" thread too... model trains that is!

I like the idea of expanding on the market place. If it comes to getting new members, I fear purists have a problem! The motto should be "Change is good" and new things can be done without loosing the old ones, I would have thought.

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42358 11/05/05 11:06 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
If it ain't broke don't fix it.. The Marketplace was set up for one reason only, to give Harbour lights collectors a place to buy, sell and trade Harbour Lights at no additional cost to the collector.. It serves that purpose well, we don't need to have a flea market on the forums.. It will lead to all kinds of problems.

I think we have too many forums as it is. A lot of people I have talked to have problems knowing where to post and how to navigate the forums now..

The forums were started by Harbour Lights Collectors for Harbour Lights Collectors and I sure would hate to see that change.. They sure won't work as a place for everything about everything..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42359 11/05/05 12:05 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
We currently have 31 forums at the CF that are open to the public. The future of the CF relies on its participants to come up with new and interesting things to talk about.

Harbour Lights collecting is what brought us all here in the first place. HL Collecting continues to bring people in but at a slower rate than in the past. We are not trying to reinvent the wheel here but we should seriously consider finding a way to make the wheel better.

If we sense an interest other than HL collecting, we should afford that topic an opportunity to be discussed. If it dies a slow death, we just delete it. If it has a good run and gets people posting, then we have a keeper.

We must keep up to the times and not go stale. We cannot be afraid of trying new things. I say bring on the new forums and give them an opportunity to be tested. Perhaps we could have our version of the "Gong Show" which could determine the fate of a new forum or thread within. The difference would be majority rules and not one person banging the gong.

cool Bob cool

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42360 11/05/05 01:01 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Well we currently have the "Nothing to Do With Anything" forum which seems to be the place for discussion of the above mentioned topics. I don't think we need to add a bunch of new forums about that kind of stuff. Lots of us have pets and other hobbies and interests. But is it really necessary to have a separate forum to discuss them here?

We were established primarily as a site for HL collectors with provisions for those others also interested in lighthouses who are not necessarily collectors. There is currently a place to discuss these items that may be of interest and we have a personal forum as well. I feel that our set-up is fine as is and doesn't need re-vamping.

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42361 11/05/05 01:24 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I agree with everything that Sue (Mombo) has said, and couldn't have expressed it better.

Between the "Nothing to Do With Anything" forum and the "General" forum, we've got these other subjects covered. I also would not like to add other collectibles to the "Marketplace" forum, as I don't see this as the place for me to sell Dept. 56 collectibles, etc.

However, I wish the "Marketplace" allowed more time before a post disapears forever, and that the poster had the ability to edit his individual post. A provision that a certain # of posts had to be under one's belt before a member could advertise HL's in the Marketplace could be a good thing- a prevention for those one time posters who come in only to sell.

And I would offer my services as a moderator on any of the forums, should a vacancy occur.

Judy

Judy
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42362 11/05/05 04:03 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I feel that we shouldn't add forums for non-HL, non-lighthouse hobbies. There are other forums that focus on that, and do a much better job of it. When there's a problem with the engine on the Land Rover, I don't post it here, I go to my Land Rover forum. When I'm looking for a new license plate for my collection, I don't post my request on the CF, I go to my plate newsgroup.

However, one thing I WOULD like to see here is a buy/sell area for other, non-HL, lighthouse objects. I feel that there are times that I have been looking for books or other items, and there is no way to trade them here. A "Lighthouse Marketplace" could, I feel, be a nice addition.

But as for themed forums...I think that after a few months, we'll all have shared pet stories and pictures. Then, we've got this forum sitting there. I feel that creating a new thread in NTDWA every month or so on a topic could be good, though.

One other thing I've always thought could be cool was a CF book group, either with lighthouse or regular books. It seems that we have a lot of readers here, and it could be neat to have a discussion group with a new book every other month or so. If others like this idea, I'll happily head it.

I think that addition would have to be very careful, to stay in keeping with the lighthouse theme of this site. We already have tons of forums here on lighthouses alone...let's keep building on that concept.

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42363 11/05/05 06:13 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Somehow I am beginning to feel like I should not contribute any further to this discussion. But then I can't help wanting to say this.
I am not primarily a HL collector. We have a few, but our lighthouse collection consists mainly of other things like stamps with lighthouses and photographs / post cards ...
So ... I am not really a "proper" member here. BUT I feel (or felt?) welcome here. I am happy to come here and "talk" to friends and people that seem to think like me , people who are interested in lighthouses - like me! But also, like me, interested in other things like pets, books, cars, grandkids etc.
When John invited us to join, I was initially not sure, we should. As I said... we are not really HL collectors. But then when the Welcomes came and I "got to know" some pleople and took part in the PCEs, I thought that CF is something special! Welcoming, special people who have things to talk about - and not just lighthouse things. For me this is a place to meet friends, exchange news, chat about ... what ever and get and give information.
Am I so wrong? It feels increasingly like I may be. It would be a shame!!! And I very much hope I am not!
Please Please keep this place the friendly welcoming place I found when I joined!

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42364 11/05/05 06:17 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
When I mentioned a Marketplace Forum for other collectibles I was not suggesting that we combine it with the New Marketplace Forum. I was suggesting a totally different forum for other collectibles. Someone later on mentioned it in combination with the existing New Marketplace. Also, my suggestion to add a Forum to discuss other collectibles was due to the fact that I collect Hallmark Ornaments and sporting goods like footballs and helmets and maybe others do and would want to share with the group they feel the most comfortable with on the Forums. Just seemed like a good idea at the time but if all are against it then maybe it's not a good idea. I also liked the idea of a member reaching a minimum amount of posts (say at least WACKO status) before a post on any marketplace can be made. It will keep the one-times from joining only to sell.

My biggest concern is with the decline in Harbour Lights collectors the Forums seems to be dying off slowly and as Bob M said we need to try and revive it or else the same 15-20 people posting the majority of the time will slowly run out of new ideas. I thought that John's question about adding new forums was a reasonable one and I still feel that we have to add new spice to keep the Forums interesting.

On a final note, while I don't currently have a pet(after 15 years our Sheltie was put to sleep) I enjoy reading about others pets and seeing pictures. New members are intimidated enough not knowing whether a post on a pet is acceptable but if we had a Forum for pets they would know where to go. I feel we have got to bend with the times or we will go bust. I venture to say that probably only 35%-45% of the current active members actually collect Harbour Lights but 100% of the active members love lighthouses. Our couple from England are active members and while they really aren't into Harbour Lights they are into lighthouses and we should try and understand this and encourage them to post what some of their other interests are. Bringing new blood into the Forums is what will keep us alive and this might mean customizing our overall Forum to bring this new blood in.

Rich
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42365 11/05/05 08:45 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I will have to give the overall topic some careful thought before offering any input. In the interim, however, for BOB M. and LIGHTHOUSE DUO and their model train interests....

Are you familiar with the lighthouse structures available from KIBRI for HO and N gauge layouts? [Yes, Bob, I know that Lionel is O-gauge, but train enthusiasts look at everything!]
KIBRI has three that I know of:

Item 7300 [N scale]: http://www.reynaulds.com/Kibri/temp.asp?item=7300

Item 9152 [HO scale]:
http://www.reynaulds.com/kibri/temp.asp?item=9152

Item 9153 [HO scale]:
http://www.reynaulds.com/kibri/temp.asp?item=9153

Or have you been gluing your Harbour Lights to your layouts? laugh

Danny

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42366 11/06/05 12:21 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks Danny !! Didn't know about the lighthouses for the railway! Thanks for the tip!

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42367 11/06/05 01:26 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
First of all Margret you and Stan are most welcome lighthouse posters in the forums and you add a new dimension with your location being from outside the USA.. I didn't mention all lighthouse lovers are welcome in my former post because that is a given in these forums..

Quote:

However, I wish the "Marketplace" allowed more time before a post disappears forever, and that the poster had the ability to edit his individual post.
Judy I delete the marketplace posts after 60 days and can move that up to 90 days, but I think very few people go back more than 60 days when looking at a forum.. After a short time people are free to re-post their post and have me delete the old one.. I edit posts for collectors because the software doesn't allow a poster to edit their post the way it is set up. It is set up this way because we don't want people responding to a post but responding using email privately. That way you only have to read through posts of items wanted or for sale..

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42368 11/06/05 04:09 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thanks Paul. I do understand that the ideal situation for that forum is not having response posts, and you've always been guick to edit mine when I asked. It just would be nice if the poster could edit, such as in the case of a posted list for sale where several have sold right away. The poster could edit the list to remove those no longer available.

Margret & Stan, can I add my two cents worth? It's wonderful that you are here, and Paul is so right - you do add a whole other dimension because of your location. Besides that, you are delightful folks, and I personally am glad you are here and I always look forward to your posts.

Judy

Judy
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42369 11/06/05 05:24 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks you both Paul and Judy for the kind words! (Shame there is no blushing smilie wink I need one right now!)

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42370 11/06/05 08:17 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Stan & Margret,... Don't you dare leave us! I always enjoy your posts and the perspective you bring to us from across the pond. I also wish you would post more lighthouse pics from your area.

Now the name of this site is the Collector Forums. It doesn't say Harbour Lights Collector Forums. If we were required to post only Harbour Lights related topics, I'm afraid we may have been out of business by now.

The primary focus of the CF is more lighthouse related than anything else. Then comes the other topics of interest relating to our families, friends, pets, photography interests (beyond lighthouses) etc. These non-HL / non lighthouse topics bring a different perspective to our visits to the CF and I really think people enjoy reading and replying to them.

I suppose we can just keep putting the above type of things in the Personal Time Forum, or the Nothing To Do With Anything Forum, but I would rather see a couple of new forums headlined. I think that would draw more interest, and more interest is what we need to keep this site going.

I still feel strongly about adding items, other than HL products, to be offered for sale, trade, or wanted to buy. It doesn't have to be placed under the New Marketplace forum. A new forum could be added. Maybe the title should be the Yankee Peddler or Swapper, or something like that. I know Paul is against it, but I'm all for it. So the score is tied. Should we offer it out to all the registered members, or at least the ones that take the time to read what we post, and let the majority decide?

smile Bob smile

P.S. For those of you that will be watching Monday Night Football tomorrow night, Go Patriots!

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42371 11/06/05 08:27 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'm with Bob. Stan and Margret please don't leave us. I look forward to reading your posts and seeing your pictures of lighthouses on your side of the pond (as the Atlantic is affectionately known). Keep posting! Keep us happy and on our toes.

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42372 11/06/05 08:50 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Here are some thoughts for consideration or rejection. I am relatively new to the Forum. While I have dozens and dozens of other interests and pursuits, I will have joined this particular forum because its primary thrust was Harbour Lights and, by extension, lighthouse and maritime topics in general. I would not argue that it would be invigorating to discover that others might share some of my other preoccupations, but I could have some concerns that this individual forum might end up "going all over the shoals" trying to accommodate what potentially could be an infinite number of interests. I could foresee that long-standing participants might 'run dry' on the subject of Harbour Lights, whereas recent members have not yet fully exploited or explored the subject. Newer members can pick up on the sometimes weary outlook of established members.

To me, at this stage of my own involvement, this Forum seems to be flexible enough to allow for side trips [digressions/detours/whatever] into fairly distantly related areas without sabotaging or compromising its original intent. Perhaps a few threads might be added, and others might usefully be redefined, but its basic design appears to be respectfully inclusive.

I wonder, then, if greater advantage could be made of an already existing feature, perhaps with a small modification of layout. Could the "Interests" field/fields in the Member Profiles be expanded for greater capacity and detail, and could the "search engine" feature be made more obvious, so that members would feel more encouraged to do a search on the profiles to connect with kindred spirits for their other interests?

And, if there is some concern for a flagging intensity of interest in the area of Harbour Lights, itself, could it be useful to probe as deeply as possible for the various underlying reasons, to expose these as thoroughly as possible, and to explore proactively how this all might be revitalized---even to the point of communicating directly to the Company? I suspect that everyone feels that this has actually happened, but is it more likely that only occasional, intermittent exchanges, critiques, etc., have rather dribbled out than a serious, head-on, coherent confrontation of the problem? Have people collectively and compellingly stated that they are bored, exhausted, frustrated, disappointed, whatever you will, with Harbour Lights? Is there a more decisive way that collectors could 'lead' the Company rather than to sit back and wistfully hope that it goes in a certain direction? Do Bill, Nancy, and Kim have only sporadic, random, and isolated suggestions to influence them, or is there a more potent 'voice' or 'block' that might effectively guide them?

Is it also possible that the Forum inadvertently presents a monolithic, possibly ossified, maybe daunting impression of what it is to be a collector of Harbour Lights? Might there be a heavily weighted preoccupation on expertise and experience and amassing inventory that dampens the enthusiasm of many who discover this Forum with an engaging, almost necessary "gee-whiz" excitement of people who are just discovering Harbour Lights? Does the Forum convey a sense of vitality and drive born out of a love for Harbour Lights, or does it tend to channel and limit this energy into long-standing, preconceived and established beliefs and reactions? I am new ONLY to the Forum---not to Harbour Lights. With the hope that I will soon be acquiring Waugoshance, I will have all the LE's except Hatteras I and Coquille, and I have all the GLOWS and lenses, plus a few duplicates of items, plus nearly 80 books on lighthouses, and a few assorted Leftons, etc. I sincerely don't mean this in the negative way that it must sound, but I do not sense the 'spark' that I anticipated finding here, or a sense of potential and possibility. In varying degrees, each one of us is investing time, energy, space, and money in accumulating mass-produced, arbitrarily numbered, molded resin objects that have been assigned identities. Why...do we do this? Is it to be able to claim that we have more, or more complete, lower-numbered lumps of resin, or do we actively reflect on our motivations?

Finally---and then I'll mercifully shut up---to build on a thought made by another member in another thread: If we were to urge Younger and Associates to expand into other collectible lines in order to reduce the number of LE Harbour Lights released annually, do we have some creative and viable suggestions for what these lines might be? What type of collectible/collectibles---currently unavailable---could we speculate might be winners for the Company? Surely there are promising ideas in this group! Let's try to help the Company and, in the process, help ourselves. What temptations, now nonexistent, can Forum members envision for the future? As many of us probably noticed last year, Barnes & Noble was selling a boxed combination of a lighthouse book and six or eight lighthouse miniatures [okay...badly done miniatures!]. This year, it is a boxed 'combo' offering a book on castles and four castle miniatures: Warwick, Neuschwanstein, Bran, and Hearst castles. Are there seeds for the future, here? Castles? Gas stations? Railroad stations? Notable buildings? Figurines of notable individuals? Animals? Transportation items? What has the potential for a broad appeal and enduring following, that isn't restricted by copyright/trademark concerns, and isn't already being done? Or...done well? Failing any forthcoming ideas, what new and different avenues or approaches might we want to see the Youngers take with regard to lighthouses? Our options would seem to be continuing support for Younger et al., and/or re-galvanizing general interest in lighthouses, and/or proposing profitable alternatives lines; or allowing it all to dwindle to a quiet demise. At one point in time, I had conceived the idea of producing---for an extremely local and limited market---resin 'replicas' of historic buildings in this city, all in the same scale, so that---overtime---interested residents could gradually assemble entire streets or complexes of our vanished cityscape. I was going to call it "Boom Town." Didn't get around to it. But...could Younger et al. similarly come out with a series of...something...that builds to an even greater whole?

On a personal note, I can't help noticing that my submissions to the Forum are considerably longer than average: at this rate, I won't achieve WACKO status for some time to come! It is the nature of my particular beast. If there may be a general consensus that my ramblings are eating up more space and patience than is welcome or necessary, simply tell me---in a polite way---to "put a sock in it" and I will go back to the reader-only status that I maintained for nearly a year. No hard feelings. Really! :p

Danny

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42373 11/06/05 09:10 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
In all my blabbering, I forgot to mention to Margaret and Stan that the greater, massive part of my ancestry is from England, so I would be loathe to part with you. The Hitchcocks come from Wiltshire [All-Cannings], and we have Brocketts, Nevilles, Beldens [Yorkshire], etc. the list goes on and on, directly back through Kings Edward III, II, I, on to William I, and into Normandy. Also have a payload of German, French...well, you name it. So stick with us! I need that "touch of home."

Danny

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42374 11/06/05 09:40 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I don't know what to say about all this. I love lighthouses. I love to take pictures of them. I collect some of the harbour lights and all ornaments, pins and lighthouse stamps. I got good info to buy my camera. Great advice on trips. Keep this web alive. If everyone would just post more (some new people might be shy)maybe you won't need to ad new topics. It does look like the same people post more often (not a bad thing). Maybe we do need to ad a new one. I would hate to move to far away from lighthouses. How about a vote

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42375 11/06/05 09:44 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
And incidentally, Bob M., I did find a lighthouse for Lionel which you undoubtedly already know about, here hilariously described as "inspired by Heceta Head."
http://www.etrainshop.com/z_lionel_24135.html

It looks to me more like an obscene mutation of Hatteras and Assateague, but perhaps I was standing way too close to Heceta, the last twelve times that I visited the light?

Oddly enough, the Lionel version tends to resemble their earlier version, obviously painted like Hatteras.
http://www.lionel.com/products/productnavigator/getproduct.cfm?productnumber=6-14087

Their "Big Bay" must be some other bay that we don't know about, huh?
http://trainsandplaneshobbies.com/trains/lionel_detail.asp?pid=936

Danny

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42376 11/06/05 09:57 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Danny:
In all my blabbering, I forgot to mention to Margaret and Stan that the greater, massive part of my ancestry is from England, so I would be loathe to part with you. The Hitchcocks come from Wiltshire [All-Cannings], and we have Brocketts, Nevilles, Beldens [Yorkshire], etc. the list goes on and on, directly back through Kings Edward III, II, I, on to William I, and into Normandy. Also have a payload of German, French...well, you name it. So stick with us! I need that "touch of home."

Danny
Well THAT was a relatively SHORT ONE, Danny! smile smile We do count posts, though; not words. If you want to be a Wacko, you could divide up some of those longer posts into shorter ones. smile smile

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42377 11/07/05 11:49 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
And incidentally, Bob M., I did find a lighthouse for Lionel which you undoubtedly already know about, here hilariously described as "inspired by Heceta Head."
Hi Dan,...I did see the look-a-like Hatteras in a Lionel catalogue but I hadn't seen the Hatteras/Assateague offering before.

I owned a rather large layout of trains prior to becoming a teenager. Some were Lionel while others were a Sears & Roebuck offering who's brand name escapes me. I had two 4'x 8' tables covered with tracks, trains, switches, imitation landscaping, Plasticville buildings etc. It was easy to toy shop for me when I was a kid. All the folks had to do was buy another train related item for my layout.

I grew out of the model train desire around thirteen years of age. My parents, subsequently, and without consulting with me, gave all my trains to my cousin. He kept them for about a year and then his mother gave them away to someone I didn't know. I only wished I had them today. There were a lot of memories that went with those trains.

A couple of years ago my collective juices were flowing and I had no HL's to purchase at that time so I started buying Lionel trains. I think I spent about three grand on "new old stock" plus buying accessories from the world's largest Lionel Dealer, Charles Rowe Supply (I think that's the name) up in Malden, Mass. I set up the trains with all the goodies with the hope the grandsons would show interest. They did for a short time, but my retro trains just couldn't compete with today's video games. Therefore, I disassembled the layout and put it in storage with the 300 or so HL's in my basement.

My youngest grandson, he'll be 2 in January, seems to have a passion for toy trains. Maybe the layout will be resurrected in a couple of years. Yet again, it will be hard to compete with the high-tech toys of today.

smile Bob smile

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42378 11/07/05 08:38 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Bob,

It sounds as though we're from approximately the same era, Plasticville, two 4 x 8 plywood panels, and all. [I just turned 59 last month]. I got most of my train stuff from Sears, and the brand that they carried was Marx, along with Lionel and American Flyer [S gauge]. Of course, Lionel was the Cadillac of trains, but a good deal of Marx wasn't too shabby either. Toward the end, I did get the exciting release of Lionel's "The General," with the stock car, passenger coach and mail/baggage coach, and flat car, which I cherished, kept in all its original boxes, and have now passed on to my nephew [aged 33]. He handles it with loving hands, too. That was a difficult year for Christmas choices, inasmuch as Marx brought out its competing "William Crooks" and American Flyer brought out "The Franklin." I had been hoping that some old time locos would be done in O gauge, and they all came out at once. Everything else has been dispersed. A one point in time, I could have easily been tempted to go into hock for HO. If I knew I had another 30 good years, a generous budget and, most importantly, some place to set up a permanent, mind-boggling layout, I could still easily get sucked back into the whole business!

Wish I wasn't so susceptible to miniature things!

Danny

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42379 11/07/05 10:53 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
To add a little sidenote to this train discussion. Marx Trains were made in my hometown of Girard, PA at a factory called the "Model Works" by those of us lucky enough to have a relative working there. Needless to say I had many "O" and "HO" gauge Marx trains and the best part is they were free. My Mom gave them all away, along with comic books and baseball cards, when I initially joined the Navy. Too bad because they are all "big bucks" now.

Rich
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42380 11/08/05 03:38 AM
beachcomber Offline
I was unable to post over the weekend but did get to scan through this thread a bit and was so upset that I couldn't jump in. I knew I would probably get long-winded and I didn't have the time.

I think the foremost reason for joining the forums should be a love of lighthouses - not just an interest in collecting lighthouses. Margret and Stan are from a family of lighthouse keepers, for goodness sake!! They probably have so much more to contribute to these forums than the rest of us. I would love to see an international forum, specifically for getting to know more about lighthouses throughout the world. Maybe Margret and Stan could start it by sharing information about their family. Hopefully, other members throughout the world would be encouraged to post information about lighthouses in their area.

I feel that, as long as the foundation of being lighthouse lovers is there, we can go on and discuss whatever else we want. We love lighthouses but we also love our families, pets, hobbies, etc., etc. Several of us have expressed an interest in book discussions; that is probably a forum that would be ongoing. As for the pets, as much as we love them, we would quickly run out of something to say, so maybe we can save that for a forum in which we can contribute other personal information - like Digger talking about Ryan's wedding and becoming a grandpa - we've already had a couple of other members share their grandchildren's pictures. I don't recall in which forums those were posted. (All the different categories are still confusing to me.) It just seems that most everyone already has a place where they can post whatever they want to post. But I have to say that sometimes there is a little discomfort that maybe we are saying something that we shouldn't be saying in that particular forum or thread. Several people have mentioned that they don't know if they are in the right place and I certainly have felt that way, too.

If the people who are the regulars would like a new forum, they should have it. After all, those are the members who are keeping the forums going. And, if those people want to sell stuff that's related to their other hobbies, than they should be able to do so. I still think that some compacting might help but haven't had time to take a good luck at the current setup. By compacting, I don't mean get rid of anything, just perhaps recategorize so that old AND new members have a better understanding of where to go to post something.

Maybe that would make it easier and more palatable for other members to begin participating. MY two bits!

beachcomber
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42381 11/08/05 11:38 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
It sounds as though we're from approximately the same era, Plasticville, two 4 x 8 plywood panels, and all. [I just turned 59 last month].
I just turned 59 in September. We probably enjoyed the same Sears Christmas Catalogs when we were kids. I couldn't wait for it to arrive. We usually received it around the end of Septemeber or the beginning of October.

If you want to tour a store with more model trains than you would ever imagine, visit this site:

www.charlesro.com

I didn't look but I still think they carry the Plasticville Buildings. I've been to the store several times in the past and it is amazing all the stuff they carry.

smile Bob smile

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42382 11/09/05 09:23 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
WOW Bob, that store is great. Some day, I think, Stan will have to build a US layout wink

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42383 11/09/05 09:31 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
... think the foremost reason for joining the forums should be a love of lighthouses - not just an interest in collecting lighthouses. Margret and Stan are from a family of lighthouse keepers, for goodness sake!! They probably have so much more to contribute to these forums than the rest of us. I would love to see an international forum, specifically for getting to know more about lighthouses throughout the world. Maybe Margret and Stan could start it by sharing information about their family. Hopefully, other members throughout the world would be encouraged to post information about lighthouses in their area.
I agree with Grace. So long as the main interest is LIGHTHOUSES CF should allow all kinds of other things to be discussed.

To me this place is a little like a club you would attend regularly. You would go in and meet friends and gossip before and after "the real business". So why not do that here too?

And I will post some treads about our family and about UK lights - with pleasure!

But please be a little patient. At the moment I am having problems with my computer network here at home and I can't seem to find what's wrong with the belsssed thing. This just slightly restricts me internet access and so I would like to sort this out first.

But watch this space ...

(I wish you could spellcheck these posts - my dyslexia is having a great time confused Sorry if I make so many mistakes!)

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42384 11/09/05 11:04 AM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would love spell check. I always had a problem with spelling shocked

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42385 11/09/05 12:04 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I open an email form and write my posts in it and when I am ready to post it; I just run spell check in my email, then copy it and paste it in the open forum window..

A spell checked post without having to open Word and do the same thing (copy and paste), which would also work... If I get interrupted and don't have time to finish my thought, I just email the post draft to myself and finish it later..

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42386 11/09/05 01:18 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
I don't think anyone meant to imply that discussion of non-lighthouse interests isn't welcome here. As someone said, "Variety is the spice of life." If non-lighthouse stuff wasn't allowed I can't think of anyone who'd still be posting! eek The topic here is just whether there should be new forums for these discussions.

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42387 11/11/05 01:13 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Two days without a post in this thread. Will there be changes made to the topics of the CF? Will new non-lighthouse related/non-HL forums be added? Will we be able to buy, sell, or trade non-HL products via a forum similar to the New Marketplace?

Educated consumers all over the USA want to know!

smile Bob smile

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42388 11/11/05 08:08 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Bob,

I haven't gotten so settled into the Forum that changes are going to disturb me one way or the other. I may be set in my ways, but I'm adaptable! laugh Let the long-time participants determine what they want, and I'll adjust...and probably flourish.

Danny

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42389 11/13/05 06:16 AM
beachcomber Offline
Quote:
Educated consumers all over the USA want to know!
John, any decisions?

beachcomber
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42390 11/19/05 07:31 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Well, what are we going to do? It's been almost three weeks since the question about new topics was asked. We've had 39 responses, both pro and con, but no decision. I have a bridge in Brooklyn and some ocean front property in Arizona that I would like to sell, not to mention some non Harbour Lights lighthouses.

Rich
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42391 11/19/05 09:55 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I'm putting it off until mid-December. Dave and I have been talking about a few changes and I'm exploring a different rental server, and ways to financially support the CF.

...And to expand the number of members.

Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42392 11/19/05 10:47 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for getting back John. Maybe we'll have something new to look forward to in December. If not, then so be it as the Forums are great the way they are now.

Rich
Re: Any ideas for new Forums, programs, discussions? #42393 11/20/05 05:39 AM
beachcomber Offline
"The mystery thickens".

beachcomber

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,328 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users