Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Better Titles or Subtitles? #41964 04/29/06 02:00 AM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I see that newbie Jeanette posted her announcement that she has some Harbour Lights for sale in The Secondary Market spot and it's been moved to The New Marketplace. I had that same thing happen to me at some point in the past and have seen it happen to others that frequent this site.

The subtitle under The Secondary Market indicates that items related to "Auctions, On-line Sellers, Secondary Dealers, and Trends" are to be placed in The Secondary Market; the subtitle under The New Marketplace states "This Forum has replaced the Marketplace." Has anyone given thought to changing either the Title or the Subtitle to something more specific like:

"The New Marketplace"
Forum Members post salable Harbour Lights items here.

"This Forum has replaced the Marketplace" means nothing to me. "Auctions, On-line Sellers, Secondary Dealers, and Trends" is interpreted by me (and obviously by others) to be where members would post salable HL items as either On-line Sellers or as Secondary Dealers.

Sandy

Re: Better Titles or Subtitles? #41965 04/29/06 02:27 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I totally agree with you Sandy. We probally get 3 to 5 a year that will try to sell in the secondary market.
I don't remember anymore why the name was changed from market place to new market place. But that has been so many years ago that I am sure the market place just isn't that new any more. Plain old "market place" with an explanation that this is where we buy and sell Harbour Lights sounds adequate to me.

DANIEL
Re: Better Titles or Subtitles? #41966 04/29/06 03:09 AM
beachcomber Offline
I'd wondered about this myself. Makes sense to me that it should be just plain The Market Place and that Secondary Market perhaps needs a better definition.

beachcomber
Re: Better Titles or Subtitles? #41967 04/29/06 03:10 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Hey Sandy... You write 'em up so Newbies and us old-timers can understand 'em and I'll change the descriptions.

Take a look at all of them.

Thanks...

Re: Better Titles or Subtitles? #41968 04/29/06 11:58 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
A very valid point to say the least. I can see where a "newbie" could be confused.

smile Bob smile

Re: Better Titles or Subtitles? #41969 04/29/06 12:49 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I agree that it's time to change. I've been here since December 2002, and I've never seen the "Old" Marketplace. It's been the New Marketplace for as long as I've been around, with that subtitle.

What was the difference between the Old and New ones, anyway?

Re: Better Titles or Subtitles? #41970 04/29/06 03:17 PM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Gee. I'm glad I took that bull by the horns!! Nice knowing you're not alone. . . .

John, believe me, you don't want me writing copy--I'd be happy to proofread for sense and spelling, but writing would make you rue the day you asked me to do that. My kids still needle me about all their classmates teasing them about their mother's notes to teachers explaining reasons for a school absence--War and Peace was a short story compared to my notes!! eek eek eek

Sandy

Re: Better Titles or Subtitles? #41971 04/29/06 07:49 PM
regalhobo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by sandy:
My kids still needle me about all their classmates teasing them about their mother's notes to teachers explaining reasons for a school absence--War and Peace was a short story compared to my notes!! eek eek eek

Sandy
Thats cute Sandy. You gave me a good laugh. I thought I was bad. Glad to see there'e somone "better".

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

:) :cool:
Re: Better Titles or Subtitles? #41972 04/29/06 07:55 PM
beachcomber Offline
Oh, no, you don't; I am the world's most longwinded person in writing. eek I have to proof, edit (delete); proof, edit (delete); and so on and on and on. See what I mean?! wink I guess I talk too much, too. frown

beachcomber
Re: Better Titles or Subtitles? #41973 04/29/06 08:04 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Grace,

Might you have been a lawyer in a previous life? laugh

bobo

Re: Better Titles or Subtitles? #41974 04/29/06 08:45 PM
beachcomber Offline
Now, there's a thought! Not that I would want to be one, of course.

beachcomber
Re: Better Titles or Subtitles? #41975 04/29/06 09:22 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
John - I've got the time on my hands to review the Forums names and Description if no one else wants to step up. You just let me know if you want me to do it and if no one else volunteers.

Rich
Re: Better Titles or Subtitles? #41976 04/29/06 09:45 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
OK, Rich. You've got the job. All you others, back off!!

Re: Better Titles or Subtitles? #41977 04/30/06 12:00 AM
beachcomber Offline
Okay, okay, we were all sooooo eager to take on this job, of course. Rich is an old hand and is one of a handful of people who is qualified for the task. Thanks, Rich!

beachcomber
Re: Better Titles or Subtitles? #41978 04/30/06 12:55 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I agree with Sandy and her post on some of the names and descriptions and was hoping that she would step in and take the challenge. I can understand her being nervous about the job. I used to be the quiet one until I joined the service. Then it was the one that jumped in with the biggest and loudest mouth that somehow got the job done(no smart remarks about the mouth). That being said I would like to get some ideas about:

1. What Forum Names need to be changed or clarified?
2. What Forum Descriptions need to be changed of simplified?
3. What are your suggestion for either the Forum Names or the Forum Descriptions changes?

Please send these suggested changes to me at "flacoastie@worldnet.att.net" and I'll look at them and get back to you if I have further questions. Please send your suggestions to me so I can make a listing to review. You can also post them here if you want to, but, too many cooks ruin the meal. It can get very complicated when there are many ways to word the same idea that's posted and everyone has their favorite phrases that they want used.

I'll give everyone until the 6th of May to respond with their ideas. I'll look at the suggestions and pick the 2 best ideas for all the recommended changes. I'll forward the 2 best suggestions to John with my recommendations as to which one I believe is best. John can then make the final decision. This I think is the best way and the fastest way to reach a decision. Any Forum Names or Forum Descriptions not recommended for change will remain unchanged.

Let's hear your ideas!

Rich
Re: Better Titles or Subtitles? #41979 04/30/06 01:33 AM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by flacoastie:
I agree with Sandy and her post on some of the names and descriptions and was hoping that she would step in and take the challenge. I can understand her being nervous about the job. I used to be the quiet one until I joined the service. Then it was the one that jumped in with the biggest and loudest mouth that somehow got the job done(no smart remarks about the mouth). That being said I would like to get some ideas about:
1. What Forum Names need to be changed or clarified?
2. What Forum Descriptions need to be changed of simplified?
3. What are your suggestion for either the Forum Names or the Forum Descriptions changes?

Please send these suggested changes to me at "flacoastie@worldnet.att.net" and I'll look at them and get back to you if I have further questions. Please send your suggestions to me so I can make a listing to review. You can also post them here if you want to, but, too many cooks ruin the meal. It can get very complicated when there are many ways to word the same idea that's posted and everyone has their favorite phrases that they want used.

I'll give everyone until the 6th of May to respond with their ideas. I'll look at the suggestions and pick the 2 best ideas for all the recommended changes. I'll forward the 2 best suggestions to John with my recommendations as to which one I believe is best. John can then make the final decision. This I think is the best way and the fastest way to reach a decision. Any Forum Names or Forum Descriptions not recommended for change will remain unchanged.

Let's hear your ideas!
Thanks for taking the job Rich. I will have a think and if I come up with anything will e-mail you.
HCS

Re: Better Titles or Subtitles? #41980 05/10/06 01:54 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
This one is closed. Read the results here:

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000399

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,424 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users