Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
CGIWrap errors?? #41686 08/03/98 10:07 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Anyone else having problems either entering the forums (unable to locate site). Or moving from one forums to another (CGIWrap error - the server load is too great. Try again later.)

Let me know.

And Tim - any help in explaining what's happening here?

Re: CGIWrap errors?? #41687 08/04/98 12:01 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Ive never had a problem, John. Occasionally it may seem slightly slow, but no problems getting in or maneuvering around.

-RodW

Re: CGIWrap errors?? #41688 08/04/98 01:03 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>>CGIWrap error - the server load is too great.

Hmmm. Many questions. Do you know what Web Server your ISV is running? (Netscape, IIS, Apache, etc.) What OS its running on? (NT, Unix, MacIntosh-chuckle). And is there a particular page that was submitted when the error occurred?

Without knowing anything more than I do now - which is approximating zero :-) - I guess the web server has run out of some type of resource because the demand for the resource is greater than the supply. This might be anything from physical memory to some environment variable that allocates threads.

Wild guessing w/out knowing more. Is there a number or code associated with the error message? I've got access to IIS and both Netscape Enterprise and FastTrack at work - I'll check tommorrow.

CGI (Common Gateway Interface) is a means for the web server to execute a program. Typically triggered by an incoming web page which contains the name of the program in the URL sent to the server when the page is submitted. The web server passes data coming from the submitted HTML (ie, from the user's browser) as input parameters to this program. Program could do anything. Typically it will get some info from a database, use this info to dynamically format a new page of HTML and return this to mr. web server who sends back to the browser.

The main forum page gets updated with new info as messages come into the forum. This is an example of dynamically (on-the-fly) formatted HTML - in contrast to whats usually called static HTML where its the same HTML page all the time.

But you probably knew that already...

Any further light you can shed on the error conditions will help. Logs? Not the kind you put on the fire, but a file used to record server events. If you have any log files, feel free to send on over.

I'm guessing its a temporary condition. However it crops up more frequently then its time to increase server resources to meet the increased demand - again could be anything.

Rgds,
__
/im - oh, fwiw, I did not experience the problema

...just did a check of the MS KnowledgeBase for "CGIWrap Error" - no entries...

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA.]

Re: CGIWrap errors?? #41689 08/04/98 06:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
John,

Site loads slower then befour.

I just went through the entire side, including The Keepere Room. Here is what I found. Anything not listed loaded ok.

WELCOME AND SITE SURVEYS - Netscape unable to find file or directory /C:/Webs/lighthousekeepers/Save-hatteras.htm
Check the name and try again.

The following sites had the following response: file could not be found on server.
Please try our home page at:
www.lightkeepers.com

LATEST NEWS, THE CATALOG, VARIATIONS, SEAHORSE LOCATIONS, ANCHOR BAY, COLLECTABLE SHOWS, 97 REUNION, 98 REUNION, LIGHTSHIPS.

KEEPERS ROOM, Same as above on DEALER DIRECTORY.

OTHER LINKS, Same a above on PHATOGRAPHY GALLERY.

The following on the main page when I clicked on did not respond.

IS THERE A PAINTING VARATION - CHERI CARRELL

In "What else to check there was no response when clicking on PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Re: CGIWrap errors?? #41690 08/12/98 08:01 AM
J
Jeff Hix Offline
J
Everything Tim said is true if you are running on an NT-based server. And if you are in a UNIX server, your ISV might need to increase the available semaphores in the UNIX kernel.

Since I know things some others haven't, namely that you were moving the whole site to the new Harbour Lights domain, I figured it was mainly a problem of broken links.

But it might be more than that if you moved from a server with one OS to a server with a different OS. CGI programs are usually nothing more than simple shell scripts or PERL programs. One thing most people don't know is that PERL programs have to be compiled. When you move a PERL script from one machine to another, there are a number of factors that might cause you to have to reinstall the script. And if the PERL binaries are in a different directory than the one on the previous machine, you will need to rewrite the first line (which points to the PERL directories). And if your CGI program is calling any other utility programs, you have to look at their location on both the old and new machines.

I would also agree with Richard about the horsepower of the machine. It seems to run very slow. Right now it's a little before 9am in Chicago and when I came into the new site, it took 3 - 4 mintues to load. Not good unless there were a whole lot of people on the new machine at that time.

If you want to talk more, send me email at my work email address this morning.

Re: CGIWrap errors?? #41691 08/12/98 09:49 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
HarbourLights.com is a subaccount as is LighthouseKeepers.com of a site I have for my main business www.MemberTrends.com . Each account has its own cgi-bin folder and so server activity in one account does not overload the other accounts.

They all run on the same web hosting company www.webstorage.com . The system is UNIX on an Apache server with multiple T-1 access.

[quote]"...when I came into the new site, it took 3 - 4 mintues to load. Not good unless there were a whole lot of people on the new machine at that time.[/url]

Any site will load slow the first time you view it (as with www.harbourlights.com, a new site). Most of the download time -- about 3 minutes -- is spent downloading the sound file. Subsequent accesses of pages previously visited but not changed since the last vist will be MUCH faster, since your browser has cached the visited pages and images (and sounds).

Most browsers however just check the date of the page and decide whether to load it from the cache (fast) or from the connected site (slower). A few utilities are out there (NetSonic is one) that actually check the contents of the page to see WHAT has changed (text, pictures, etc.). They may load the page from cache and then beep to let you know more recent content is available. This speeds up access to all sites, expecially those that have few updates.

BUT it's annoying for the Forums since they are dynamically created each time you visit and will always be outdated from the cache.

I think the CGIWrap error I referred to basically means the site's cgi resources are in use at that moment.

I know Jeff & Tim are aware of all this, but thought others might benefit.

Re: CGIWrap errors?? #41692 08/12/98 10:26 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
.....and to realize we evolved from 64K Commodores and Macs.....

-RodW

Re: CGIWrap errors?? #41693 08/12/98 11:34 AM
J
Jeff Hix Offline
J
Oooo, Mr. Moneybags. Some of us had to evolve from the ever-speedy Commodore VIC-20 which topped out at an amazing 8K.

Re: CGIWrap errors?? #41694 08/12/98 09:24 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Quote:
BUT it's annoying for the Forums since they are dynamically created each time you visit and will always be outdated from the cache.

Fwiw, the visual widgets such as the 'Collector Forums' banner, graphical buttons, etc. can persist in cache as long as the dynamically created page uses the same name for the widgets as it did the previous session.

Also certain browsers do a much better job of cache management than others. I don't mean to further incite the browser wars (as if thats possible ;->) but Netscape Navigator (or Communicator) does a much saner job of cache management than the current version of Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE). Now that the Netscape browser is free of charge folks might give it a trial run.

Now that the full corporate weight of Younger & Associates is behind the site :-) it might be worthwhile to explore getting the ISV to host the site on a machine with either more horsepower or less traffic. Of course this would merit a study hit patterns, throughput, yadda yadda, to confirm its justified. If I recall, Apache doesn't support NSAPI or ISAPI which are specialized ways to do CGI offered respectively by Netscape and MS in their web servers. (might inquire of your ISV about this)

'Course, from an end-users perspective its almost impossible to tell what portion of the latency results from ISV and what is due to the World Wide Wait, er, Web, itself. How much longer will it be til the Internet reduces the synaptical gap between patience and frustration to milliseconds? LoL

Rgds,
__
/im [geeks always have some wacky advice to offer]

Re: CGIWrap errors?? #41695 08/15/98 09:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For crying out loud, you guy's could complicate making toast. Here's what you need to do, first your going to need a few tools -- a Phillips screwdriver, a pair of visegrips, wire cutters and a set of metric wrenches. First thing we'll do is increase the high end horsepower, you'll need to loosen the fuel pump and shim the top bolt out a little. Them we'll raise the monitor up slightly to reduce operator fatigue. Then we add a hair trigger keyboard (sending commands with a feather touch) them pop the cover off the CPU and reach in with the Phillips and give the screw with the tensioner spring one turn clockwise to lean out the mixture slightly. Then we will get your GPS unit (Global Positioning System) out to the back yard to make sure your satellite dish is in perfect alignment to receive downloads at top speed. And next we'll install a hi performance cup holder to the left or right (at your discretion) of the cockpit to minimize down time away from the system. And finally we will review your tires, shocks,brakes and suspension to see if further work is needed

Sincerely, Norm Abraham's

[This message has been edited by Mark Wagner.]

Re: CGIWrap errors?? #41696 08/15/98 09:47 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Norm,
You forgot to mention the cup holder is already there. Just open the cd rom door.....Shazzam. A retractable cup holder!!

-RodW

[This message has been edited by Rod Watson.]

Re: CGIWrap errors?? #41697 08/19/98 03:44 AM
B
Bgypsy Offline
B
Hi John et al,
I am not too swift at getting around on the internet and this site, would you explain if there is somewhere I can login on this site as soon as I enter so i'm not bumping into "if you're not registered, etc.", and Ialso know i'm not imagining that last time I was on I was at the HL Collectors Forums and a subfolder of that was Buy/Sell/Trade/Wanted and now I cannot after spending 1/2 hour find it! Help please, You can send me email Bgypsy@aol.com as I don't know if this area will disappear on me next time I try to find it? Thanks y'all,
Barbara

Re: CGIWrap errors?? #41698 08/19/98 08:01 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
To enter the site and avoid the "Welcome" pages and the "Registration" page, use the URL
www.HarbourLights.com/default.htm .

This will bring you into the "Home Page" (The On Line Legacy Page 1).

John

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,358 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users