Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
An "Open Forum" #41555 03/18/01 02:35 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
If you haven't noticed, there's a new forum - one intended to lure some of the lurkers out of the woodwork.

You don't need to be registered to use it.

It's open on trial - if none of the lurkers use it - or if it gets abused, I'll close it up. But knowing how great lighthouse people are, I hope it works.

Take a look.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 03-17-2001).]

Re: An "Open Forum" #41556 03/18/01 04:08 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
John - Under what name/id does a non-registered user appear?

This is an interesting experiment - any members out there working on their 'Sociology of the Internet' or 'Group Interaction Dynamics' degree should observe. :-)

I'll assume the 'Open Forum' is predicated on the notion that some folks 'don't like' or are 'intimidated by' or 'hesitate to' complete the registration.

The main registration requirements are:
1) agreement to abide by forum rules& policies

Quote:
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless this BB, Madrona Park, Inc. (the makers of the bulletin board software), and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).

2) a name - can be almost anything
3) an E-mail address.

Aside from the e-mail address, participation can be as anonymous as one wishes to be. Presumably the un-registered participant has not agreed to the rules/polices - at least not in the same way a registered participant has - namely by clicking a button that says 'Agree'.

I'll speculate the registration process is not very 'off-putting' or intimidating in and of itself. Attempting to put myself in the position of a person who is concerned about registration the only thing I can think of that might deter me is giving an E-mail address. Would it be appropriate to develop a 'privacy policy' or some statement about the use by the Forums of E-mail addresses. Some members have gathered addresses of those who exposed them and used these lists to solicit for various things. (HL chats, buttons, signings, etc.)

If you place your E-mail for others to see I suppose you are not objecting too strenuously to the prospect of someone actually using it. :-)

It may be worthwhile to have the prompt"Keep your email address viewable to other users when you post notes?" immediately below the E-mail field on the registration form - perhaps re-wording it to something more straigtforward like 'hide my E-mail address from others'.

However I doubt the registration process deters participation of very many people.
How many people are out there who aren't hesitant to speak up, but maybe don't want to leave an E-mail address. My goodness we have more greeters in the 'Welcome' forum than a state full of Walmarts - everyone is made to feel welcome - as they should be.

I'll speculate that what keeps people from participating in the fora is the same stuff that keeps them from participating in other group activities. Shyness, don't want to abide by any restrictions on their right to comment, fear of embarassment, don't think they have something interesting to say, think we are a bunch of twits not worthy of their comments, etc. etc. (All you non-participants - feel free to correct or add-to these reasons :-> )

Another factor to consider is the Open Forum actually draws attention to someone who is not registered. They'll be observed as a 'special' sort of forum user. (I'll be interested in the answer to my opening question. Can they be anonymous?)

If my speculations are correct we may not see many folks in the 'Open Forum' - but thats why the experiment and not these postulations. :-)

How to draw in more participants is, I assume, the ultimate goal. Advertise the Forums on Collectibles Web sites? Have a little 'Collectors Forums' icon button that people can include in their E-Bay ads? Have BobM give every new registrant a glow?

(Say this gives me an idea for another thread in the FATF.)

Its a good idea John - again - interesting to see what comes of it.

__
/im

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 03-18-2001).]

Re: An "Open Forum" #41557 03/19/01 05:32 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I also hope that this kind of Forum which promises annonimity doesn't attract or become a dumping ground for unproductive comments or accusations like we used to see on AOL. It's one thing to be concerned or upset with something and to air your disatisfaction openly on the Forums but I don't care for the free ride that annonimity seems to promote. I am probably worried about nothing but it could happen and unless the post doesn't meet Forum Guidelines for good taste it's not going to be removed. I can remember the bad old days of flamming on AOL. I hope it doesn't happen here. I am not wishing failure on the new forum, infact maybe my comments will stimulate productive posts there to prove me wrong. I say welcome to all lurkers in the hopes that you will one day become a registered Newbie!

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 03-19-2001).]

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,363 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users