Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Let's Hear Your Ideas #41480 04/30/06 09:24 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Sandy made a suggestion in another post in this Forum that we change some of the Titles of the individual Forums and also change some of the Descriptions of the Forums. This will make it easier for both Newbees and Wackos to make their posts in the correct Forum. John asked Sandy to undertake the changes but she felt that she should not undertake the challenge. I volunteered for the job. That being said I would like to get some ideas about:

1. What Forum Names need to be changed or clarified?
2. What Forum Descriptions need to be changed of simplified?
3. What are your suggestion for either the Forum Names or the Forum Descriptions changes?

Please send these suggested changes to me at "flacoastie@worldnet.att.net" and I'll look at them and get back to you if I have further questions. Please send your suggestions to me so I can make a listing to review. You can also post them here if you want to, but, too many cooks ruin the meal. It can get very complicated when there are many ways to word the same idea that's posted and everyone has their favorite phrases that they want used.

I'll give everyone until the 6th of May to respond with their ideas. I'll look at the suggestions and pick the 2 best ideas for all the recommended changes. I'll forward the 2 best suggestions to John with my recommendations as to which one I believe is best. John can then make the final decision. This I think is the best way and the fastest way to reach a decision. Any Forum Names or Forum Descriptions not recommended for change will remain unchanged.

Let's hear your ideas!

Rich
Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41481 05/01/06 09:04 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Perhaps the title "New Marketplace" should be changed to "Buy, Sell, or Trade". As listed in a previous post, a new person could be confused as to where to list something wanted or something they would like to sell. By changing the title of the appropriate thread to "Buy, Sell, or Trade" the confusion would be eliminated.

I also will once again introduce the fact that I would like to see other things besides HL products offered in a "Buy, Sell, or Trade". Posting should be limited to those registered members who have at least 50 or more posts. This would eliminate the hassle of a person just stopping by to sell something and leave.

We are a family here and we have built a trust amongst us. It would be nice to offer other collectibles or even cameras and equipment that a fellow CF member may be looking for.

I'll be back with more ideas later.

smile Bob smile

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41482 05/01/06 12:01 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob,

I like your idea but understand why it has been vetoed in the past.

It may be more trouble than it's worth. It would definitely have to be a Forum that was watched more by the Moderator of that forum.

It might be required to have all posts approved by the moderator before they go on the Forum.

Although we do have the added protections that John put into place for people signing up now it may still bear closer watch on something like this.

I think in th epast the basic thought was that we really just didn't need the extra hassle something like this could entail.

Dennis

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41483 05/01/06 12:46 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
The forums were started by Harbour Lights Collectors and the Marketplace was added as a safe place to buy, sell and trade HL products... It has worked well over the years and had very few problems.. I for one don't want it to become a flea market as there are many other avenues for the other items to be bought and sold.. It would become one big headache to monitor.. The forums have always been for the collectors and by the collectors and there is no reason to change that!

The name change is a good idea to remove any confusion!!

Paul L Brady
Moderator of the New Marketplace

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41484 05/01/06 04:53 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I like the concept of the name change. The only suggestion I have is to find something that carrys the same message, but has that kind of "witty" feel like many of the forum names have.

But a clarification would help.

Rich - when I get a chance, I'll send along an email with my more detailed ideas...I don't want to get the stew burnt, evaporated, and solidified. wink

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41485 05/01/06 07:14 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Paul,

Quote:
The forums have always been for the collectors and by the collectors and there is no reason to change that!
I seem to remember something similar: "By the people, for the perple, etc." laugh

But I fully agree with you.

bobo

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41486 05/01/06 10:09 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I think we should come up with a new name for "The Play Room". A quick glance by a newbie might lead them to believe we offered games at that thread. Perhaps something like "Testing" or maybe "Test It Here" might lead people in the right direction.

smile Bob smile

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41487 05/02/06 12:06 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
WWW.el.come Start Here
At first glance, and if you weren't a regular at the CF, what might you think about the above quote?

You see the "WWW." initially. Would you think that might bring you to another site on the Net called "el.come Start Here"? I know this is trivial but should we change the title of that thread to perhaps "Start Here First", or maybe "Welcome to the Collector Forums"?

Remember, you have to think like a person who has never visited the CF before. Hopefully, we can make things user-friendly for potential new members.

smile Bob smile

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41488 05/03/06 01:42 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm always confused if I should post pictures from trips in "Lighthouse Photography" or "The Map Room". I see them posted in both areas. Maybe a little clarification into where to post lighthouse photos from trips would be helpful.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41489 05/03/06 10:49 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Map Room postings should include a travelogue type posting. A story that takes everyone along with you.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41490 05/03/06 12:20 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
You're absolutely right, Dave. Narration of the trip involved when taking the pics displayed would certainly apply under that topic.

I know I have enjoyed the pics in both topics of the Map Room and Lighthouse Photography. Whether a photographer posts tips or not in the "LP" topic, many of us derive some great photo tips by just viewing the pics.

There's a lot to be learned from other photographer's work. Most of it's from different composition and angles, and not forgetting to "move your feet", as Mr. Brady would advise.

We all have learned that you can go back to the same light time after time and come up with some very different photographs. That's what makes photography so interesting.

All you photographers should keep those pictures coming no matter which topic you put them under.

smile Bob smile

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41491 05/03/06 01:24 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Map Room postings should include a travelogue type posting. A story that takes everyone along with you
Does that mean I posted my reports from Point Loma etc. in the wrong place Dave?

Quote:
All you photographers should keep those pictures coming no matter which topic you put them under
Hear hear... I love seeing everyone's pictures, so keep 'em comming! smile Where ever!

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41492 05/04/06 10:40 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
OK! There are only 2 days left till I review and submit to John for the changes. So far the only official suggestions I've received have been from Sandy. There has been a lot of talk on this subject but no submittials. I will review everything that was suggested but then you will have to be satisfied with what I come up with and you probably have a much better suggestion then what I will submit to John.

Come on and email me with your ideas or be satisfied with my ideas. Enough said!

Rich
Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41493 05/04/06 11:57 AM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Rich,

Have you decided that the suggestions I made won't be passed along?

Sandy

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41494 05/04/06 12:30 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Sandy - I'm just hoping to get other suggestions so I can compare and come up with what I feel is the best in the easiest way to understand. We will definately change what you suggested with eiter your way or a combination of ideas.

Rich
Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41495 05/05/06 12:57 AM
beachcomber Offline
Rich, both you and Sandy always have a lot of good ideas and suggestions. I think we will be fine with whatever you all decide - you won't get complaints from me since I'm not offering solutions to the "problem".

beachcomber
Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41496 05/05/06 10:00 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'll try to get my email out today/tomorrow. Are you looking for ACTUAL suggestions, or just general comments and "tips"? I can do either.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41497 05/05/06 09:23 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Give me actual suggestions so I may compare and mix/match with others.

Rich
Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41498 05/07/06 08:35 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
It is now 6:30 DST and the first rough draft of the Forum Names and Description changes has already been sent to John and Dave for their review and inputs. Dave has already responded with several suggested changes. I am now waiting for John to respond with his suggestions.

Hopefully, we can have the final and approved version complete sometime this week. I have started a part time job about 2 weeks ago and the part time hours are now running around 35 hours. I will do the best I can to complete the changes this week but am waiting for John now.
After final approval of all changes, it will be in either John's or Dave's hands to incorporate the changes. I'll keep you posted.

Rich
Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41499 05/07/06 09:32 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I was going to try and get my suggestions to you, but I was just so busy yesterday.

Hope that whatever is chosen, just both works and retains the "quirkiness" of the current titles.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41500 05/07/06 10:24 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I focused on the first two sections.
I expect one or two of my ideas will be used.
I think this is a great idea for us members to get involved and present our opinions.

DANIEL
Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas #41501 05/10/06 01:54 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks, everyone. I'll close this thread and you can post your additional ideas here:

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000399

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 846 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users