Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Confusing Questions #40787 02/13/09 02:54 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
There is something that has really been bothering me lately and that is why I'm making this post. I want everyone to understand from the beginning that I'm not picking or referring to anyone in particular in this post. I have several general questions that have me in a bit of a confused state (and it isn't old age) and I will try to find some answers with this post.

1. Why do people take the time to register on the Forums if they do not take the time to post? A person wanting to just read the posts that are on the Forums do not have to be registered to do so. They can remain visitors and still read all the posts. Why do they register? Is there something I'm not aware of in belonging to "X" amount of forums or discussion groups?

2. Once a person registers on the Forums why do they not participate? We have a welcoming forum that we welcome the new members in and the great majority of these new members do not take the time to acknowlede these welcomes. I also send out a personal individual welcome to these new members and as of this time I have not received even one response to my welcoming email. Can anyone out there tell me why new members do not take the time to say "hi" to welcoming posts from existing members? I know that going into a new school, duty station, organization, church or any new situation makes you feel good when you get a warm welcome and I don't think that anyone would not be so impolite enough as to not respond. Then why is it that the majority of new members do not respond? Is the computer age causing us to become so rude that we have given up our manners?

3. My next question is why 99.9% percent of our existing members are no longer posting? The excuse of I don't have the time, I have too much work, I don't think that others would be interested in what I say, I'm afraid that my question will make me look stupid or every one on the forums is established and "part of a click" just that, excuses. What are the real reasons? For the amount of posts over the last several weeks, it appears to me that the Forums are a waste of money and maybe we should put the profits from the sale of our exclusive to a better use, like supporting lighthouse preservation instead of supporting the forums at a monthly cost. The few people that are making an effort to post could continue communicating by email with just as much enthusiasim from the dedicated posting members as they are now getting from the entire forum. You say "everything I have to say has already been said" and that may be true, but, there are plenty of members out there that have not heard it. You say "I don't have the time" or "I'm too busy at work" and that also may be true, but, you always find time to do web surfing, email to your friends, watch repeats on TV, etc. so why can't you find time to communicate with others on the forums?

4. My final question is this and it is to the loyal members that post. Why do you take the time to post if others are not going to take the time to re spond to your posts.

I figure that this post will generate approximately 6-7 responses from the same loyal members that always post. To those of you that take the time to read this post and not respond I will understand because you are busy doing other things. This is not meant to be a slamming to the members that do not post or take the time to respond to welcomes, it is meant to try and open up the eyes of all registered members and those thinking of registering. This post is the ramblings of an old retired "Coastie" that is becoming alarmed at the non-participation of current members and the potential waste of money used to support these forums. If I have offended any member with these questions, I appologize for it. You may email me with any responses that you do not want to publicly post.

Rich
Re: Confusing Questions #40788 02/13/09 03:34 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
All very good questions Rich! Many that we have wondered about before and still don't have clear cut answers to.
I guess, in answer to #4...I continue to post in hopes that others will post. It would be great if it would return to the way it was when I first registered.
I would have to make several visits to read through all the posts and there was so much to respond to.
I agree with you about #2. It would be good manners to at least acknowledge the welcomes. I know it made me feel good when I came aboard and encouraged me to start posting.
I for one would hate to see the end of the forums. It is such a great source of information. We have loyal members that do keep us updated...most recently the need for donations to Waugoshance. I wouldn't have known without the forums...I don't have the time to surf this out on my own.

Debbie
Re: Confusing Questions #40789 02/13/09 04:17 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Rich,

Here's my take on it-

1. It's been sometime since I registered but some may well intend to participate but just not get around to it. I also believe that there are some people that just think to be part of something you need to register fully.

The above said- there's no way to know what goes on in another mind. we all have a hard enough time knowing what WE are thinking.

2. In many cases I think they are afraid that thier questions would seem stupid, etc since others have been here so long and those posting quite often seem to know what they are talking about (even if they really sometimes don't have a clue).

3. This one is simple- the vast majority of those older members not posting is that they no longer have an active interest in HL. They may still have a collection but are not adding to it or they may have just lost interest. In some cases they no longer ahve interest in HL- but continue to care about "real" lighthouses. in these cases they may have found a different source to feed that need.

4. Old habits die hard. I also do care what is posted and do like to keep up with what's what in regards to HL- even if I'm not buying much anymore. I also like to use this site to get information on visiting real lighthouses and to continue to post about my adventures for those who still enjoy reading my posts.

Dennis

Re: Confusing Questions #40790 02/13/09 05:03 PM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Perhaps it just seems like the same subjects just get rehashed over and over again. Maybe we have to be more creative in subject matter, topics, etc. in order to get the "juices" flowing for some members.
Perhaps the new members here don't feel comfortable in posting because they just don't know enough about all of us. Websites such as Facebook and Myspace, etc. are becoming more and more popular because they are very personal. I know that there are members of this forum who also frequent those websites.
Having said that, people are also wary of the internet. It's a great place to hide one's true self, if you will, behind a facade. I know that as an internet retailer, I have to reach out to my customers and deal with them as if I were the neighborhood gift shop down the street. People want interaction, but in this day and age, it is very difficult to develop trust. And let's face it, this and nearly every other social website is based on trusting those others whom you are in contact with. It is easier to trust someone when you know more about him/her.
Please, if you are new to these forums, just because you see only a limited amount of people posting, don't feel like we don't value your thoughts and opinions. We do! It's always refreshing to see a new perspective on things. Even if we don't agree with your opinions or point of view, we respect your right to think as you do. As a businessman, if I thought I knew everything and didn't listen to others, I would never be successful. Others see things from a different viewpoint, and I have learned a great deal from people who aren't "experts", but have shown me a different way to look at things.
Rich, perhaps we need a new topic in which we all can tell everyone else more about ourselves, our backgrounds, interests, and why we care so much about lighthousing and HL's. Maybe others would feel more confident about the members of this forum and feel more like joining our "family", as I've come to find the people here as. Just as family there are those who you don't get along with, and others who are like best friends, but in the end, you're all part of the same group.
We really DO care about what is on your mind, and we'd like to make everyone here feel like you're welcomed and part of this "family".

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: Confusing Questions #40791 02/13/09 05:44 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have no clue as to why new folks register but don't post. I have read this board long before I became a member. I became a member when I needed to voice my interests and wishes for HL's.

As for where have all the oldtime posters gone, I suspect Dennis is correct, many have lost their interest in collecting HL's or just don't want to talk about them anymore.

I'm still a newbie, so the only time I see many names posting in the same thread is when I looks at threads that are from 5 or 6 years ago and older.

Its safe to say the lack of posting is directly related to the slow down in collecting, the large amount of store closings, no more reunions, the lack of interest or finances to attend regionals or store events.

It's very sad to think about. That if this continues, HL collecting will be a thing of the past. I currently have a "kid in the candy shop" enthusiasum for Harbour Lights. I wish there were more collects like me. Have too many become Scrooge collectors? Do some need a visit from the HL collector ghosts from the past, present and future to see where this is headed?

I sure would like to know why folks don't post or collect anymore. And I know many are financially hit. I'm there!

eek I knew I shouldn't have had that third cup of coffee this morning !!!

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Confusing Questions #40792 02/13/09 06:14 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Roland - I think your idea to start a topic telling others about ourselves is very good. I will start one in the "General Forum" forum right now. I hope others will do the same so we may learn a little bit more about each other.

Rich
Re: Confusing Questions #40793 02/13/09 07:07 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Regarding Question No. 4 above,

I continue to post because I like to converse with other forum members that do still post as well as to gather and share the latest information.

I have been around for sometime now, but I can't compare the recent posting traffic with the early CF years. I have noticed that posting traffic has generally gone down in the past 2-3 years, but honestly, I don't see why yourself (Rich) thinks that not many folks are posting. I guess you are right. Perhaps my eyes are blind or as I said, I can't compare with the earlier days.

I continue to post and visit the forums, as well as support its efforts by purchasing both HLCF exclusives. Over the years, I have gathered a "ton" of Harbour Lights information from the forums.

Without having 10-12 HL dealers within my immediate area, like the good ole days of 1998-2001, when I lived in the Washington DC metro area, where would I get the latest HL news? Since I have moved from the DC area several years ago, and the fact that many former HL dealers have gone "POOF", one of the very few places to get the latest HL news is here on the Collectors Forums, unless you search the current HL dealers online.

As long as HL is alive and I continue to collect, I will continue to post....

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Confusing Questions #40794 02/14/09 12:08 AM
docsweetie Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Okay this is why I don't always post:
I always get on this website every day to see what people are saying about all the topics that are listed. However, those of you who have been members for a long time seem to know each other and have a very long personal relationship. Plus you know a lot about the Harbour Lights stuff and lighthouses in general. I don't always post because I feel like I don't fit it with the rest of you who have met each other through events, etc. I am a committed Harbour Lights person and purchase items that are interesting to me. But I feel like I am out of the loop sometimes with the CF. I still will read what everyone has to say, every day... I log on every day. But I feel like I don't have enough knowledge to post when those of you who have been members for SOOO long seem to know each other.

No matter what, I will still view every day what people are saying about the topics because this is THE BEST site there is for info on lighthouses and Harbour Lights.

For example, I just came back from a trip to Florida and Georgia and I used the info from my inquiries to this site to plan my trip. I had a great week - I saw 10 lighthouses and took some great picture (in my opinion, of course). Thanks for all the feedback from folks (November 2008)

docsweetie
From Grandkids: Aka Grandma Lighthouse
Re: Confusing Questions #40795 02/14/09 09:30 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hey Doc, ..Remember the CF is not just dedicated to HL collecting. It is part of the main focus, but lighthouse awareness is more prevalent.

Yes, some of us have been around for a long time and know many others personally, but the influx of new people is as important to the survival of the CF as new collectors are to the HL line.

I think one of the most enjoyable aspects of the CF is when people post pictures and stories of their traveling adventures. It's great to have members particiapte from all over the country and other countries too. It makes things so interesting.

It's always been the policy here to answer whatever inquiries are posted. Questions are great and most times the person inquiring is not the only person who would like to know the answer. Personally, I wouldn't mind answering the same question every once in awhile because if it helps a fellow CF member to learn more about why we are here in the first place. So if a topic has been covered before it is okay to cover it again if it means someone will learn from it. I would much rather see a printed explanation than a link from a similar inquiry from times past. It keeps the matter fresher and may provoke more input. It's kind of like studying for a test, and when the test comes you have the answers, and feel good about it.

I sincerely encourage any new or not so new member to ask any question they want answered. That's why we join together at this wonderful and informative site. Searching old links for answers is okay, but interaction through new topics and replies is much better.

smile Bob

Re: Confusing Questions #40796 02/14/09 05:35 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I joined very shortly after I found these forums. I liked everything about the posts and have made some wonderful friends. I am one of the ones guilty of not posting very much. I have started a few topics to get things going. But anyone who knows me knows that I am not much of a talker, more of a listener. But I have learned so much by being a member here. I do respond if I have something to say and know anything about what is being discussed.
I use to get on to check the posts daily but have been chasing a two year old around so I do not check as often as I use to, sometimes it will be two or three in the morning when I get a chance.
But I hate to think of there not being a Collector Forums. And I do not know why anyone new who does join does not post after they join. There must be some topic that interested them enough to join in the first place.

Cyndi
Re: Confusing Questions #40797 02/14/09 06:21 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I love the CF but I don't post that much and am terribly guilty of not posting photos of our trips as Dave reminds me from time to time! I have found that retirement leaves me with less time then when I worked and I don't understand that. It is probably because one tries to do so many things before checking out!

Anyhow this is the absolute best place to get info on lighthouses and I do appreciate the responses I get. I also have purchased some lights from some of the members as well.

I am trying to make Super Wacko but I don't want to post just to get the numbers up. It needs to be for a better reason than that!

Thanks for asking anyway Rich.

Judy

Re: Confusing Questions #40798 02/14/09 06:23 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Opps! I guess I did make Super Wacko but I meant I am trying to reach 1,000 posts which seems like a big milestone to me.

Judy

Re: Confusing Questions #40799 02/15/09 09:19 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
I am trying to make Super Wacko but I don't want to post just to get the numbers up. It needs to be for a better reason than that!
Simple posts in the "Welcome" thread couldn't be much easier. Unfortunately, we usually get less than a dozen to welcome a new member to the CF. I think it's a good ice-breaker for the new person to see that people are welcoming him or her. It's encouragement and that's important.

There used to be birthday and anniversary greetings down in the personal thread many times a month. Unfortunately, that isn't happening anymore but it would be a nice touch if it resurrected itself. It adds a personal touch and a chance for friends, old and new, to pipe in.

The free-style group limerick is probably the longest thread in our history. It changes several times a day and puts the red check mark indicating there is something new to view. Join in!

The worst thing that can happen is to have a member view the CF and see nothing new whatsoever for that day. So say happy birthday or happy anniversary, welcome a new member, add to the group limerick, post some pictures, share your trips and adventures, and keep the CF moving forward each and every day!

smile Bob smile

Re: Confusing Questions #40800 02/15/09 05:39 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hey, where are you guys that posted in this topic and didn't bother to post in the General Forum topic entitled "All About Myself"? Are you afraid that someone will find you after you've been relocated by the FBI or that the IRS will find you because you have not paid taxes for the last 5 years or your ex-spouse will find you and collect back alimony? Come on and show a little spirit to the lurkers out there that are watching and afraid to post because they're new or bashful.

Rich
Re: Confusing Questions #40801 02/15/09 06:16 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I did the Reader Digest version of my life in the "All About Myself" topic. Basicly because nap time was almost over or it could have been longer. It's easy and fun.

Cyndi
Re: Confusing Questions #40802 02/15/09 07:31 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by flacoastie:
Hey, where are you guys that posted in this topic and didn't bother to post in the General Forum topic entitled "All About Myself"? Are you afraid that someone will find you after you've been relocated by the FBI or that the IRS will find you because you have not paid taxes for the last 5 years or your ex-spouce will find you and collect back alimony? Come on and show a little spirit to the lurkers out there that are watching and afraid to post because they're new or bashful.
Nope I excercised my right to not bore people with the minutiae of my existence - or just not this time laugh .

Dennis

Re: Confusing Questions #40803 02/16/09 08:56 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Hey, where are you guys that posted in this topic and didn't bother to post in the General Forum topic entitled "All About Myself"?
My publicist advised me against releasing any information that could ruin my book deal or potential movie deal. The pilot for the TV series made be ready by 2010. The major movie studios are looking it over now. The late night talk shows have been calling but I'm not allowed to talk to them at this time. President Obama has invited me to the White House but I refuse to go unless my good friend the Pope says it's okay.

That's it for now because I have to go have breakfast with Sarah Palin, and then I will be babysitting for the woman who just gave birth to eight babies. It's part of my community service program.

I'll be back!

smile Bob

Re: Confusing Questions #40804 02/16/09 04:33 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
biglaugh good one Bob!!!

Cyndi
Re: Confusing Questions #40805 02/16/09 10:05 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
My boring story is coming soon.

I was just letting age go before beauty. wink

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Confusing Questions #40806 02/26/09 12:01 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Seems like I was very close to the number of responses I would get from this post. I figured 6-7 and so far the number is 9 members with an additional 9 posts from those 9 members. It's disappointing but then this is what I expected so I wasn't counting on anything more.

What is really disappointing is the number of responses to the "All About Yourself" post in the General Forums. How can we get to know you if you won't take the time to tell us about yourself. The few that took the time to tell us about themselves was very informative. For example, I thought that the Cape Cod Store was a real store and to find out it is strickly mail order was a shock. How Roland progressed to where he is was very interesting. I now feel I know him a lot better and could carry on a real conversation if we were to ever meet.

Where are the rest of our members?

Rich
Re: Confusing Questions #40807 02/26/09 05:11 PM
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Rich, if, by "real" you mean a "brick-and-mortar" establishment, in that sense, you are correct. But by all means, The Cape Cod Store.com is very real! In this day and age, an online retailer is as real as any neighborhood standing store. Our advantage is we can market to a much wider audience while keeping our overhead low, passing on the savings to our customers. More and more purchasing is done online each year, which is why all of the large national chains have developed websites and promote the hell out of them. Which brings us to the disadvantage of having a LOT more competition than the neighborhood "brick and mortar" shop.
But we are very, very real!!! nono

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
Re: Confusing Questions #40808 02/26/09 09:15 PM
wvlights0 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Roland, I thought it was a real brick and mortar store also, and had made a mental note to stop in and say hello when I got to Cape Cod. I was amazed when the response I got to sending in the February "Guess the lighthouse" was obviously not a carbon copy response and sent back a picture.
Rich, I very much appreciated your welcome email and saved it
Quote:
Laura, Welcome to the best lighthouse site on the web. We can always come up with an answer to your question or questions. So, don't hesitate to ask and we won't be bashful to answer.

Also, please check out our new Collector's Forums Exclusive from Harbour Lights made for and sold exclusively by our Forums. The price is $65.00 for one and $60.00 for each additional piece ordered at the same time($65.00 for one, $125.00 for two, $185.00 for three, etc.) Read all about what you need to know, how to order and how to send your money by clicking this link http://www.lighthouse-events.com/forums/ . The
and felt that I was answering you along with all the other welcomes. I do remember wondering why so few seemed to introduce themselves and wondering if I was being forward. I enjoy this forum very much, and hope it can stay alive. The information I got for my Oregon trip was extremely helpful. (Especially the tips on gas pumping, adding two Washington lights and Oregonzolla cheese!)I have not posted any pictures because I can't get it to work. There I've said it. I have tried at least 4 times and never gotten an email response that the pictures loaded. I plan to try again soon.
As to joining and then never posting you are right, that just doesn't make any sense. I will get to the "All about yourself" post.

Laura
Re: Confusing Questions #40809 02/26/09 09:35 PM
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Laura,
We take a very personal approach with the website. We believe in "old fashioned" communication, not canned responses. Yes, there is the automated response and receipt when a customer places an order, but all other communications, whether by e-mail or phone, (or in person for our Cape Cod customers), are done personally by myself, or in the case of the Lighthouse Club and Guess-the-Lighthouse contest, by Dana.
I absolutely hate automated telemarketing phone calls and spam. My philosophy is, if I'm not important enough for you to take time out of your day to speak to me personally, then you're not important enough to me to respond! We follow that philosophy as a company with our customers and prospects, as well.

Roland Babineau
Re: Confusing Questions #40810 02/26/09 09:42 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Rich, I think one of the big issues on the website is one of when you became an active participant. Your question is, "How can we get to know you if you won't take the time to tell us about yourself?" I think the problem is that many of us got to know each other very well in the earlier glory days of HL during multiple trade shows a year, times of 4 regional events a year, Reunions and group lighthouse tours around the country. Many of us used to see each other 3 or 4 times a year and stay at each others homes when we traveled. I personally think it would bore most people on the forums for me to repeat the stories that most have heard. Your perspective is certainly different if you have not met most of the folks who post here. One of the things I miss the most is flying from NY to LA or Chicago for the weekend to hang out with the wackos. I had the pleasure of seeing some old friends and meeting some new friends in New Orleans last year and hope to see more this year. I know this doesn't solve the problem for the new folks, but it may explain our lack of response to your question.

Re: Confusing Questions #40811 02/26/09 10:11 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
JJ just elegantly put into words what would be my explanation and I bet, many others.

Judy

Judy
Re: Confusing Questions #40812 02/26/09 10:58 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
JJ - That may be true about older members knowing each other and not wanting to bore their "old buddies" with that kind of information. But, the other point that has been brought to my attention by newer members is the "clicke" (think it's spelled right) they feel is in place by older established members. I know that when I joined and everyone was talking about this trip and that trip and where are we going to meet next, etc. I felt very out of place. There are many of us that cannot make these trips due to health problems(Amy's back), money situations, job commitments, etc and these are the members that we should be trying to entice into the folds of the Forum. While your history may be old news to your "buddies" it is not old news to the members that have joined in the last 3-4 years and it definately isn't old news to me and I joined 7-8 years ago. As Judy put it, many others may feel the same way as you do but there are many, many others that would enjoy reading about your life history and what brought you to Harbour Lights. Just remember, you to were a new member at one time or going to a new school or a new job and what it felt like when the older members just talked among themselves and didn't pay any attention when you walked up. The same applies here and it is only good manners to welcome these new members as you would like to be welcomed by telling them a little bit about yourself or at least welcoming them in the Welcome Forum.

Rich
Re: Confusing Questions #40813 02/27/09 12:37 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have to admit, I'd rather talk about lighthouses then myself. But I agree with Rich. I'm a newbie and would like to know a little bit about my collecting friends both old and new.

I for one would like to know how many reunions and regionals you attended, what got you collecting, your current views on HL's, as well as little background. Nice to know who served our country, lives out of the country, or once lived out of the country.

That being said, I will contribute my story soon.

Stan M

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users