Next Thread
Print Thread
RAMBLING ,STILL #4008 10/26/01 03:36 PM
F
fresnalhead Offline OP
OP Offline
F
JCHIDESTER,
Believe me I did not expect a cost break, discount, or near cost, especially after visiting Harbour Lights web site a few years ago just before it changed its name( to current name/site) and looking at e-bay under Harbour Lights section almost every workday for the past few years and have wittnessed the selling price for some of the lighthouses

All I am trying to say is that I thought I would have gotten some kind of a responce (such as: will keep your name in the event I have a chance to pick up an extra).

The reason I even mentioned this was to get a responce that may make you feel that just because I only have a few post doesn't mean that I should have been shut-out (not in the click). I check the forum section every work day and I have seen some request from some other people that did not have a lot of post and contacted them trying to help them because they were new (only had a few post). I even called one and ask if they had had any responces and they indicated I was the first(their question had been posted for 7 days)and being that I felt that I have been some-what blown-off and not wanting them to feel the same way (not in the click) I try to respond to the few I can help that do not have a lot of post so they will not to begin to feel that they have been blown-off (nothing worse then to be wrapped up in collecting something and find out you are not included)
I guess I am asking all of you that have a great number of post to look at all of us who do not as friends that have a common bond of collecting Lighthouse items and not have the clickish attitude. As you may have noticed I indicate work days, I do not have /currently want a computer at home, at least not yet, and all my surfing is done at work during my lunch hour or after work.
One reason for the low post is that I have moved and my old user name and password did not work from my new location. Even then I may be up to a total of 10 post, as to the best of my knowledge I have been a member of the forum for a couple/few years.
Thank you
Fresnal Head

Re: RAMBLING ,STILL #4009 10/26/01 03:49 PM
C
champoeg Offline
C
Clique: a narrow exclusive circle or group of persons; especially : one held together by common interests, views, or purposes.

Sorry, I can easily overlook typos being a "fumlbe" fingers myself, but since we are kind of cliquish, sometimes behave cliquishly, and in some ways are even proud of our cliquishness I thought I'd offer the correct spelling. While we are all comfortable in our cliquy (alt: cliquey) ways, we will always welcome new members.
PS. I too have changed nicknames and have posted under different names.

Re: RAMBLING ,STILL #4010 10/26/01 04:29 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
This a continuation of Hooper Strait which I've locked in order to avoid duplication and provide continuity.
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/001061.html

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: RAMBLING ,STILL #4011 10/26/01 11:36 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
"Clique" is not a word I would use to describe the participants at the Collector Forums. Everyone has always been welcome. The more you post and ask questions, the more you fit in. There is no discrimination here. No one cares what nationality you are or what religious faith you practice. Everyone who participates here are joined together by a bond. That bond is the love of lighthouses and the products created by Younger and Associates.

Heed the advice of the wise ones. They have been here since the start and are wise beyond their years. Ask your questions, state your opinions and remember we are all friends no matter what topics we may disagree on.

God bless America and all our circle of friends here at the Collector Forums.

Bob

Re: RAMBLING ,STILL #4012 10/27/01 12:22 AM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
I am, like, SO GLAD I didn't get involved in this thread...

Re: RAMBLING ,STILL #4013 10/27/01 03:02 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Yo fresnelhead - these lighthouse models have a warm fuzzy side and they have a value side. These are not mutually incompatible.

It ain't you or your number of messages or your not having a computer at home, or anything like that - its Collectibles. Manufactured scarcity of something desirable with the prospect that it will increase in value due to supply and demand. Just cause lottsa folks here ooze friendship, cuddle up with lighthouses and schmooze with one another doesn't mean they swap or sell in total abandon of notions of value. You weren't shut out - you underbid.

Read messages, ask questions, learn what's what, and what its worth - if you wanna join the clique all it takes is interest and participation. So cop a chill. Eat your vegetables. Have a nice day. Caveat Emptor. God Bless America. All are welcome.

Rgds,
Saint Fingerwagger

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 10-27-2001).]

Re: RAMBLING ,STILL #4014 10/27/01 10:53 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Let me add to this topic as a new member to the CF but not a new member to Harbour Lights(7 yrs)or to monitoring this CF(since J.C. started it).

I have been treated really nice since joining on the 8th of October. I stated right off that I would post when I felt that I had something worthwhile to say, otherwise, I would be posting under the Marketplace the most. Selling extra Harbour Lights is the only way that I CAN AFFORD to keep my lighthouse passion going. I expect to make a profit from my extra pieces, and visa versa, I expect the other person who is selling extra pieces to also make a profit. I have purchased somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 pieces off the secondary market as I was building my collection. Did I begrudge them a profit? Heck no, I was darned glad to find them and be able to buy them. Hopefully, the pieces that I've sold since joining the CF have been appreciated by the people buying them and I hope they don't begrudge me the profit that I made.

Anytime that a new person joins in anything they have an acceptance period during which time they are paying their dues. Many of the members in this forum are "plank owners" so to speak and have a bond between them that has been developing for years. This is something that over the years I hope to be able to develop myself. Will it happen overnight, I doubt it. Does this make me think they have a clique, heck no. They are FRIENDS.

I guess what I am try to say Fresnalhead is, from a newcomer to the forum myself, don't come off thinking that you were slighted because no one provided you with a lens. It was probably because no one knew you and you were asking for a lens at cost to the individual going to the reunion. If you had asked if anyone was interested in selling one at a profit or trading for one, you probably would have had takers. Remember, you are a new kid on the block just like me and you have to wait your turn.

Rich

Rich
Re: RAMBLING ,STILL #4015 11/02/01 12:13 AM
Gebby Offline
Fresnalhead, we would like you to join us for one of our Harbour Lights meetings here in Charlotte. We are the Carolina Lighthouse Seekers and we meet the 3rd Tuesday of every month. Seven of us made it to the reunion. Email me to get info.

Ken

Re: RAMBLING ,STILL #4016 11/02/01 01:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Go ahead Ken and rub it in that I didn`t go to the Reunion.

terry

Re: RAMBLING ,STILL #4017 11/02/01 04:15 AM
RezmanDale Offline
Wow, I guess I missed something.

Fresnelhead, When I first joined in with this group I initially felt a little like an outsider. Not because of anythig these wonderful people did or didn't do. Mainly because I didn't know much about lighthouses and HL's. Once I saw it was just me, things changed. I decided I would speak up in chats and on the forum, even if my ignorance of Harbour Lights showed. I have learned a great deal by asking stupid(in my mind) questions. I try to meet some of these people when ever possibe. They have responded and I have come to appreciate the closeness this groups has very much.

So, don't hesitate to state you opinions and don't be thin skinned when others disagree with you. No one here will ever intentionally exclude you, especially if you speak up. We value everyones input. I feel a little left out because i haven't been able to go to any of the reunions or regionals, but thats not their fault.

|8-{ )
Dale

Re: RAMBLING ,STILL #4018 11/02/01 09:14 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Good reply, Dale! The best way to become familiar with the people of this board is to visit whenever you can, read the posts, and post your feelings about the subjects listed.

Not everyone gets to go to reunions and regionals. I bought my first HL in the summer of 1994. I bought my second in September of 1997. Then I attended the Providence Reunion in 1998 and decided to try to get them all. Now I have every limited edition but Coquille River. During this period of time that covers my HL collecting I've been to two reunions and one regional.

After attending my first regional last week, I would highly recommend that all HL Collectors make the effort to attend the one in their region. You get to meet your fellow collectors and have a great chance of winning valuable prizes. It's fun and it's free.

Bob

Re: RAMBLING ,STILL #4019 11/02/01 01:00 PM
B
Buz Dean Offline
B
The time has come to let the past reside in the past. In respect, I do not remember seeing posts about people looking for reunion pieces but then i did not look for those posts either. I do not have the time to read every post that comes across these pages. In fact I would not even be interested in this one except that RIP kept pointing it out.
No one, to my knowledge, would scorn(or what ever word you wish to use to exclude yourself) would purposely ignore another on these pages. Smile, another chance for a bargain has passed. You'll just have to live with what happened ( I would let it go) and look for the next best deal.
I have posted a few things myself that have been ignored...I looked past that and kept posting. Eventually, something gets said that most take notice to. Please, Lets look ahead from here, not what happened a couple weeks ago!

------------------

Re: RAMBLING ,STILL #4020 11/03/01 11:57 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Just a side note, many reunion pieces and items are being offered on eBay, many of them at reasonable prices. As a matter of fact. I was almost tempted to bid on a few myself because they are real bargains compared to what they will be worth in the future.

Bob

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,317 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users