Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help Support the Collector Forums #39706 10/31/02 05:27 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The Collector Forums will cost about $2,700 to operate in 2003.

To help fund the Forums, you can purchase a lmiited edition print of one of Gary Martin's photographs of Grand Haven lighthouse at sunset.

To learn more, click here.

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39707 10/31/02 06:35 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Great idea, John! I'll mail you a check this week. I'm sure I speak for many of the "forumites" when I say the Net wouldn't be the same without the Collector Forums. It is only one of two places I check everytime I turn my computer on. The CF is a life-line amongst the dedicated HL Collectors of America.

I would invision a decline in HL sales without the influence of the CF. The CF serves to excite collectors about new releases which in turn makes them anxious to run to their dealer and purchase it.

The CF is not just words on a screen but a foundation to build friendships on. A place to make arrangements for meetings and to report lighthouse club news. It has become a part of many of our lives and daily routines.

God bless you, John, for making all of this possible.

smile Bob smile

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39708 10/31/02 06:58 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Beautiful print, I like the blue colors and the sun streaks streaming from the clouds. It will take me a week or two to get the money together, but I'll send a check as soon as I can.

What ever it takes to keep the forum going! This is my lifeline to all my fellow WACKO's. I love it here in Wackoville! smile

Stephanie

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39709 10/31/02 08:24 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
John,

I think this is a great idea. Like Bob, I check into the forums several times a day and love every minute of it. And like Stephanie, whatever it takes to keep the forums alive and well! If this isn't having a life, then I'm all for it. Count me in!

Bert wink

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39710 10/31/02 09:45 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
John, You can count me in. I'll get my check in the mail this weekend. The one thing that I am confused about is I thought that Harbour Lights was funding this Forum all along to help drum up business. Boy, I learn something new everyday.

Rich confused

Rich
Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39711 10/31/02 10:16 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
John has been picking up the tab for years, folks.. BTW the check's in the mail John, at least it will be when they pick the mail up...

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39712 11/01/02 01:25 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Folks - the collecting information resources you find here are invaulable. You cannot find the wealth and depth of information about Harbour Lights Collectibles anywhere else on the Web.

Just think of all you get...

[*]Access to wise and experienced Harbour Lights Experts, graciously answering all your questions about collecting lighthouse models. Newbies get turned into knowledgeable Wackos on these forums.

[*]Free valuations and marketplace opinions compiled over years of collecting. There's always a keen eye out for what's hot, and where the bargains are. Looking for that hard to find piece? You've got a great chance to learn that here.

[*]Advanced notice of upcoming releases.

[*]Helpful Travelogues and many Beautiful Lighthouse Photos - and yes you can post your own for all forum members to see. Tips and tricks about lighthouse photography.

[*]Valuable advice on storing, displaying and maintaining your collection.

[*]Information on lighthouse gatherings, tours, and preservation efforts. Postcard exchanges.

[*]And above all else, a comraderie of friendship grounded on a mutual interest and love of Lighthouses and Lighthouse model collecting.

So what are you waiting for?

Support Your Collector Forums!

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39713 11/01/02 01:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My check is also the OGM bin. And thank You Gary for contributing generously to the forums

BTW John, Did Albert Belle get out of jail yet?

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39714 11/01/02 01:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Also, Tim and I just got back from trick or treating. We had a great time, leave it to Tim to think this up, Tim went and bought a couple 20 oz beer mugs and we went to every tavern and bar in the county and go in and do the trick or treat bit and hold up the beer mug, well I lost count after like 41 free beers and we even got a few quarts of the rocket fuel Tim brewed in the FSB still back in 98' ..... And if anyone spots the FSB Yugo, drop up a line and let us know where we left it..

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39715 11/01/02 06:09 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
John, I'm with the rest of the group on this one. You should not be doing this all on your own. My check is also in the mail. Hope it gets there first wink

Mark & Tim wish Terry and myself lived closer to you guys...that sounds fun. laugh
Ruthie smile

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39716 11/01/02 10:27 AM
Gary Martin Offline
At the moment, all, I'm the rate limiting step in people getting their prints back from John. As an update, the prints are in production at the professional photographic lab that I use here in Kalamazoo. When I talked to them late yesterday when I was in the store, they were talking about having them ready either today or the first of the week. As busy as they were, I'm personally betting on next week.

As soon as I get the prints, they'll be signed and individually numbered as 1/100, etc., and then after my hand falls off from signing all of them, they'll be shipped to John by insured mail for distribution starting with those who got their checks in first. Good luck to everyone who wants #1/100. That part of this is in the hands of the US postal system.

I'll post another note to let everyone know when they go off to John.

John will be keeping track of who gets which print in the series as they go out. After #100/100 has been spoken for and shipped, we're planning a lottery drawing, the details of which I don't think John has worked out as yet. The lucky winner of that drawing will get a matted and framed 10x30 version of the print! Good luck everybody.

Gary

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39717 11/01/02 11:40 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I should have stated that this offer is available to anyone - whether a registered user or a non-registered visitor.

Please make your check payable to: John Chidester

Be sure and visit Gary Martin's website of lighthouse photographs at:

www.CoastalBeacons.com

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39718 11/01/02 12:39 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
John,

Checks in the mail. Thank you again for all you do for us.

Dennis

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39719 11/01/02 02:06 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
I dropped a check in the mail last night, didn't even read the rest of the forums after seeing Gary's photograph. Let's see how well the USPS does.

Robert

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39720 11/01/02 03:15 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
John,

My check is in the mail today. It will be interesting to see who get's #1.

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39721 11/02/02 12:21 PM
Hal Dean Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
My check will be in the mail. Can't thank you enough for what you have done to keep the forum going. A WOW job in my book.
Hal

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39722 11/03/02 07:51 AM
ga light man Offline
John,
My check will be put in the mail monday morning.
Thanks for a great forum, looking forward to 2003
Rick

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39723 11/03/02 12:04 PM
Pharologst Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
John, my check is in the OGM as well. To echo all the above, thanks for providing the best website on the net!!

Geo H.
Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39724 11/03/02 01:51 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
And #1 goes to...

MrsTLC - Ruthie Cooper who had the advantage of being closer to me so the USPS got her check here first.

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39725 11/03/02 11:45 PM
Gary Martin Offline
CONGRATULATIONS RUTHIE

As an update, I was at Kal Color today, when they're not open, hanging a photo exhibit in the monthly gallery that they have there in which they showcase work done by their various customers. I think this is the 4th time I've had a display hung there but I've done the Jack Benny 39th too many times... Uhhhhhh what's a camera????

They have composited the image for printing. What they're doing to keep production costs down (and hence proceeds up for John!) is printing two 4x12 images on a single sheet of 8x12 paper. At any rate, what this is leading to is that I should see a proof print tomorrow and assuming that I like what I see on the proof, they'll start printing, probably immediately. In a couple of days I'll sign and number prints until my hand falls off and then the one handed photographer will take them to the post office and they go off to John by insured priority mail, hopefully by about the end of the week!

For my two cents worth on all of this, John, you should probably photograph #1/100 and post it so Ruthie can see her prized #1/100! And best of luck in the lottery drawing for the 10x30, Ruthie!

Gary

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39726 11/04/02 02:53 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks Gary...I feel very honored to be getting number 1/100...You make such great pictures. Thanks for donating this one.
Ruthie smile

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39727 11/04/02 10:41 AM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
Check's in the mail, John.

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39728 11/04/02 05:54 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Check is in the mail John. Looking forward to receiving the print. Thanks to you for managing the site and to Gary for making the print available.

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39729 11/04/02 10:15 PM
ga light man Offline
John my check to you went out this morning, and if all it cost me was 25.00 to gain all this valuable information from you all, then I got one heck of a bargain.
I had stumbled on to Harbour Lights website totally by accident. I used a search engine to find links about lighthouses and this place was what I found. I check it several times a week and at times at work. I think it is a wonderful place to learn but with me still being a newbie here and still very new to collecting these great treasures, I am sorry to say that as of yet I don't have too much knowledge to share with you all.There are some great people here and I look forward to a great 2003
Keep the flame and thanks John
Rick

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39730 11/04/02 11:05 PM
Gary Martin Offline
A little bit of an update. I got a call from Rich who works at Kal Color about 5:15 this afternoon just before I was about to arrive at home. He was calling to let me know that the first test print was ready for me to proof, so about 8:01 tomorrow morning, I'll take a look at it and see how it looks relative to the guide print that I gave them. Rich said that the paper this particular printer uses has a slightly lower contrast than the guide print that I gave them and that the foreground waves are just a tad darker than my guide print but that the color fidelity is excellent, especially in the sky. Anticipating that, I had bumped up the contrast and brightness a little on the foreground when I created the file that they're printing from, so hopefully, that will have "parked" the print right about where I wanted it. I guess I'll know in the morning.

I'll give everyone an update tomorrow. If Kal Color is working to their usual high standard, I think everyone will be very happy with their print when they get it from John. I also anticipate that I'll have the 100 prints in hand either late tomorrow or Wednesday, so we're on schedule with them going off to John to start distributing them by the end of this week.

Gary

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39731 11/05/02 09:14 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the update, Gary. I'm looking forward to adding the print to my other special pics on display.

smile Bob smile

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39732 11/05/02 11:18 AM
DeDo Offline
My check will be in the mail today. Thanks John, for all that you do and Gary for making your photo available!

Donna smile

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39733 11/05/02 01:16 PM
Gary Martin Offline
Just a quick update. I was at KalColor early this morning. The proof print certainly meets my expectations and the modifications I made to the digital master file in an effort to compensate for the characteristics of the paper worked out well. THE PRINT IS IN PRODUCTION! I'll either have them late today or tomorrow, as anticipated.

I'll post another note on this thread when they go off to John.

Thanks for everyone's support of the forums through this fund-raising effort.

Gary

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39734 11/05/02 01:32 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Lots of mail in my PO Box this morning! Here's a summary of the print numbers so far:

1 Ruth Cooper
2 Robert Gurskey
3 Tom & Joyce Abbott
4 & 5 Judy Rath
6 Terry Forrest
7 Bob McKeon
8 Dennis Whelan *
9 Mark Wagner
10 Lorie Roe
11 Mary Heuvelhorst
12 Tim & Diane Simpson
13 Reserved for Gary Martin
14 Paul Brady *
15 Chuck Anderson
16 Tim Aucremann
17 Bob Scroope *
18 Bert Guerin

* These individuals would have received a lower number, but requested a specific number that was higher than the one they were due.

For the curious, 5 of the 16 were for the framed print.

After posting this originally, I made an adjustment on 13, 15, 16, 17 because I had forgotten that Gary requested #13 -- and, after all he's 'da man who is making this possible.

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39735 11/05/02 05:22 PM
lhlover Offline
I bet this thread would be a bill collector's worse nightmare! "The check is in the mail!" :p

John, I have placed my check in the mailbox, along with a brochure for Egmont Key Lighthouse that I picked up for you this weekend. Are you still collecting these?

Thank you for keeping the Forum up and running - I've gotten so use to being here that I don't know if I could live without it. I probably could, but let's not try it. laugh

Gary, thank you for giving us this wonderful chance to own one of your beautiful prints at such a great price and to help out a great friend in the process. I look forward to putting your print on my wall! smile

BonnieJean
bjexum@floridalighthouses.org
Visit: www.floridalighthouses.org
Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39736 11/05/02 08:12 PM
Gary Martin Offline
ANTICIPATION... title of the old Carly Simon song... nah.... waiting for Kal Color to finish the 4x12 pano print run!

I stopped by there on the way home from work today. Not ready yet. frown Should be tomorrow though!

John, thanks for puttin' in my reservation for #13. Would have been tough to ship that one to Chuck since it won't be making the priority mail trip! laugh

BonnieJean and everyone else, your response to this offer to help out John has been awesome... about exactly what I would have expected from such a great bunch of wackos!

I don't know if it will come to pass or not, but I'm also working with the Pointe aux Barques Lighthouse Society at the moment and there may be a similar fund-raising 4x12 pano print offering through them. Details are being worked out. I'll certainly let everyone know more when the details are finalized. They're working to restore and preserve the Pointe aux Barques Lighthouse up near the tip of Michigan's "thumb" for it's upcoming 150th anniversary in 2007. Support from all lighthouse lovers would be more than welcome!

Gary

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39737 11/07/02 02:53 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
More orders arrived today. Thanks!

19 Richard Byrd
20 Bill Harnsberger
21 Hal Dean
22 Mary & Jeff Meyer
23 Richard Clinkenbeard (GA Light Man)
24 Pam Cook
25 Randall & Linda Ronne
26 John Young
27 Bonniejean Exum

Still 73 prints available, folks.

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39738 11/07/02 08:43 PM
Gary Martin Offline
Just as an update, I have the prints in hand and they look really super if I do say so myself!

I'll start signing them tonight and if I get them all signed and numbered, they'll be off to John first thing tomorrow morning! I'll have to shoot a digital of Ruthie's #1/100 to post on here for her to see later on tonight.

Gary

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39739 11/08/02 02:39 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
One third sold-out. Thanks; keep 'em comin'

28 George Hood
29 Sue LeFever
30 Bud Schrader
33 Rod Watson *
50 Ken Reese *
75 Ken Reese *
100 Dave Hannum *

* These individuals would have received a lower number, but requested a specific number that was higher than the one they were due.

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39740 11/08/02 10:46 PM
Gary Martin Offline
Excellent response thus far for a relatively short time, John. I need to get my rear end in gear and get more of them signed this evening so I can ship them off to you.

Gary

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39741 11/09/02 12:31 AM
Gary Martin Offline
Well, somewhat later, fingers signed down to nubs...

A picture tells a story, this one starting with Ruthie and ending with Dave...

All 100/100 prints are signed and numbered. They'll be off to John by insured priority mail tomorow morning. Beyond that, it's all in the hands of the USPS from there.

Gary

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39742 11/09/02 12:51 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
You even used Bill's special gold pen! You only signed 100 - think how many times he signs his name at a decent signing event.....

Thanks for providing the pictures and nice way for everyone to help support the Forums. I think everyone will be bugging John to get them re-mailed quickly!

Dave

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39743 11/09/02 01:39 AM
Gary Martin Offline
Signing 100 was quite enough, Dave! I feel for Bill!

I suspect you're right, folks are likely to start bugging John for the remailing now that they're off to him. He should have them by probably about Tuesday or maybe Wednesday next week if the priority mail service is worth a toot.

Generating support for the Forum with this sort of fundrasier is a nice way to keep this great site operating, and I'm glad I was able to contribute to the process.

It will be fun to see when/where John decides to hold the lottery drawing for the 10x30 once all of the 4x12's have been sold and who gets it. Hopefully, it will be at an event that I'll be able to make it to. I wouldn't mind being there to hand the lucky winner their big print. Odds are 1/99 for everyone... #13, which is mine, won't be included in the lottery.

Gary

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39744 11/09/02 01:41 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave H:

Thanks for providing the pictures and nice way for everyone to help support the Forums. I think everyone will be bugging John to get them re-mailed quickly!

Dave
I picked up 100 Priority Mail envelopes at the PO today and I have labels printed out for all those who have ordered so far.

I think I bought out all the wood 4x12" black wood frames in Phoenix - and found an identical metal frame in good quantities to make up all that I currently need.

With Monday being a postal holiday, I don't expect Gary's package to arrive until Tuesday. I'll have the prints on the way by Thursday.

I want to take another opportunity to thank Gary for contributing his wonderful photograph to this fund-raising project -- and all the time and special expertise he has donated to making certain that what you all are getting is something very special.

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39745 11/09/02 02:09 PM
Sunshine Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thanks John for the Collectors Forums! I enjoy them tremendously.

Also thanks to Gary for the print of my favorite lighthouse. The second print I order is a Christmas gift for my mother.

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39746 11/09/02 04:38 PM
Gary Martin Offline
John and all, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad I've been able do to my part to help keep the forum operating and for the support of everyone who has sent in checks to order prints.

The prints were shipped this morning, so John should have them next week and from his last e-mail, it sounds like he's ready to ship them out to folks. The package I shipped this morning definitely won't fit in a mailbox so there's little danger of a mail person trying to fold it or anything.

Sunshine, I'm glad that it was your favorite lighthouse and I hope your mom likes her print when she gets it.

Looking at 13/100 sitting here framed, although John's post of the framed version on the forum was good, that was with a small version of the print file that I was able to ship John to do a test print with. The real one, IMO at least, is orders of magnitude better and will, I hope, make everyone who gets one happy to have gotten the print in exchange for helping to support the forums.

Gary

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39747 11/10/02 02:27 AM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Man why am I always late to these parties? frown Oh well the Check is in the Mail as they say. smile

Eric
Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39748 11/10/02 04:51 PM
Gary Martin Offline
Hey Weasel, at least you didn't get here when John announced that the last of the prints had been sold!

Gary

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39749 11/10/02 08:27 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Gary, that's about the time I usally show up. eek

Eric
Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39750 11/11/02 03:45 AM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
One question John,

The wood or metal frams, do they have glass?

Stephanie

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39751 11/11/02 04:24 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Yep, both include glass. Both have an easel-back.

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39752 11/11/02 12:19 PM
lhlover Offline
Wow! Nice prints! I'm glad I got my money in for mine - now that you have a picture of them signed and ready for shipment everyone will start jumping on board! smile

I can't wait to get mine - I already have my frame ready and waiting for the picture installation and hanging! wink

BonnieJean
bjexum@floridalighthouses.org
Visit: www.floridalighthouses.org
Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39753 11/11/02 02:38 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
No mail today, but two more arrived on Saturday:

48 Donna Martell * (DeDo)
99 Rich Felter * (FlaCoastie)

Thanks to all.

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39754 11/11/02 04:00 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
We still have a good number available, the edition is NOT sold out yet.

However, for those who will be attending the Florida Regional this coming weekend, you'll have an opportunity to purchase the unframed print For $25 (no shipping charges.)

Look for Paul Brady at the Hoosier Lighthousing Club table. Paul will have just 20 available signed and numbered (#51-#70) prints. We hope this may introduce a number of HL collectors to the Collector Forums (and Gary's great photography, too).

If these 20 sell out at the Regional, that will mean that only 42 will remain unsold.

This weekend, I will be sending out an email to all registered users of the Forums reminding them of this opportunity. I'll also try to set up a way to pay through Paypal this weekend.

For those on the Forums -- whether a member or not -- now is the time to order.

If you haven't yet seen the picture, here's another link:

www.LighthouseKeepers.com/support.htm

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39755 11/11/02 06:19 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I THINK I've set up the PayPal so that you can order and pay for either the framed or unframed prints directly on line.

www.LighthouseKeepers.com/support2.htm

Let me know if anyone has any problems.

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39756 11/11/02 10:52 PM
lmyhre Offline
Wacko
Wacko
PayPal is a great idea. I'll give it a try tonite since I hadn't gotten around to sending a check yet. Thanks.

Larry

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39757 11/12/02 12:42 AM
Linda Ann Offline
John,

I just sent you payment via paypal. Seemed to work just fine. Thanks for setting up payment this way. I had intentions of sending you a check but had yet to get around to doing it. Paypal is so much quicker and easier.

Thanks for all the hard work you do with the forum!!

Linda Manning

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39758 11/12/02 12:46 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Larry and Linda and one more make 3 received by PayPal. Looks like it's working just fine.

John

Re: Help Support the Collector Forums #39759 11/12/02 01:03 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Still an opportunity to purchase a limited edition photographic print and support your Collector Forums.

This thread is continued here

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,040 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users