Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
WHY CAN'T I POST A POLL? #39298 01/12/09 05:11 PM
rustyjax Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
What is the purpose that everyone can not post a poll?

Rusty
check out all my lighthouse photo's here;
http://travel.webshots.com/album/487578687vrLTkI
Re: WHY CAN'T I POST A POLL? #39299 01/12/09 05:52 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I think you've got to make wacko status(50 posts) first.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: WHY CAN'T I POST A POLL? #39300 01/12/09 08:18 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
You have got to reach Wacko Status before you can post a poll. If you read right at the top of the Voting Booth Forums, it tells you this. Sorry, you've got 12 more posts before you reach Wackop status.

Rich
Re: WHY CAN'T I POST A POLL? #39301 01/12/09 08:36 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Well actually nobody answered his question.

The basic reason is that the powers that be decided that certain aspects of the forums should be reserved for those who have shown a certain level of interest and participation.

The number 50 for the amount of posts is truly an arbitrary and meaningless number. It's just the number chosen way back when. In fact back then a person could easily have 50 posts in a matter of days.

We had literally hundreds of posts per week so having 50 was really not that big a deal. It is actually harder to reach that number and Wacko status now since there are not that many active discussions going on at any one time.

Dennis

Re: WHY CAN'T I POST A POLL? #39302 01/12/09 09:36 PM
rustyjax Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
thanks for getting back on this guys!
And yes Dennis, thank you for the explination!

You know, since being on here, through many conversations, it's been hinted that most members are not that active! I believe it's these kinda rules that squelch the interests to participate on a regular basis!

wouldn't it be more adventageous to encourage
"newbies" to have fun and get involved?

If I'm correct, it's the same rule that I can't have my little "avatar/signature" picture as well!
Isn't it the little things that make people feel accepted?

so,,, someone help me post up 11 more quick ones, so I can feel like a real boy!

Rusty
Re: WHY CAN'T I POST A POLL? #39303 01/12/09 09:47 PM
rustyjax Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko

Rusty
Re: WHY CAN'T I POST A POLL? #39304 01/12/09 09:48 PM
rustyjax Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko

Rusty
Re: WHY CAN'T I POST A POLL? #39305 01/12/09 09:49 PM
rustyjax Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko

Rusty
Re: WHY CAN'T I POST A POLL? #39306 01/12/09 11:23 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
rj- you have a very valid point in what you say pertaining to newbees, however, let me elaborate on the whys of the decisions as they were explained to me. When I first started 8 years ago, as Dennis said, there were many conversations going on and you could easily reach the 50 posts in less then a week if you wanted to. There were others that were content to just read the posts(and there still are) that didn't care if they reached Wacko status. To encourage members to post, certain goals were established too encourage members. The goals are easily reached and the membership fee when you reach Wacko status is not outrageous(2 Krispy Kremes per member, but, the postal fees will kill you). The challenge to post a poll and reach Wacko status with 50 posts is a good goal and sorta like gold stars when you were a kid or getting your own car as a teenager. You have to work for what you get or it isn't worth a hill of beans and I garrantee you will enjoy it more if you work for it. The next goal of 500 posts for Super Wacko status might take a little more time. It took me a year to reach Super Wacko but it was a real joy when I reached it.

Rich
Re: WHY CAN'T I POST A POLL? #39307 01/13/09 12:59 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyjax:
thanks for getting back on this guys!
And yes Dennis, thank you for the explination!

You know, since being on here, through many conversations, it's been hinted that most members are not that active! I believe it's these kinda rules that squelch the interests to participate on a regular basis!

wouldn't it be more adventageous to encourage
"newbies" to have fun and get involved?

If I'm correct, it's the same rule that I can't have my little "avatar/signature" picture as well!
Isn't it the little things that make people feel accepted?

so,,, someone help me post up 11 more quick ones, so I can feel like a real boy!
I think the concept of having to make 50 posts to be allowed to do certain things is a very good way to encourage people to get involved.

It isn't that high of a obstacle to get over after all- even in these days of less active discussions going on.

You've discovered the flaw in the system as well- the posts don't need to actually have anything to do with any real discussion.

You could just post away with one character in the post and satisfy the requirement very quickly.

Dennis

Re: WHY CAN'T I POST A POLL? #39308 01/13/09 12:39 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
It isn't that high of a obstacle to get over after all- even in these days of less active discussions going on.

You've discovered the flaw in the system as well- the posts don't need to actually have anything to do with any real discussion.
Dennis is right, and you have obviously discovered this flaw.

The problem could become that most of us posted questions, information, etc. RELATED to lighthouses in our 50 messages in order to obtain our WACKO status. It would be nice to get to know you as a new member, but your graphic postings, etc. are not helping on that score.

How about some posts about you, and how you got involved with lighthouses (the real ones as well as collectables).

You are a welcomed new member. We'd like to get to know you.

Judy

Judy
Re: WHY CAN'T I POST A POLL? #39309 01/13/09 06:41 PM
rustyjax Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
this is interesting!

I'm going to have to disagree with the notion that 50 posts are few, and encouraging! I've been on here for several weeks, and everyday, trying to get involved with many of the topics! I've started several discussions, including this one,and still haven't reached that magical level. (not that I care). I believe most new commers are here to talk lighthouses. Why would there have to be an "achievement" to collaborate with all the discussions! I think the sure numbers who are involved is the evidence, this doesn't work!

And Judy, My "Graphics" were not to be-little your status of "Wacko". You see, My whole point was,, it shouldn't be about the number of posts. And, I simply don't care about the prestige of that honor status. I'm kinda thinking you guys see this, more so, as a "Club" rather than a talk forum. I'm on here only to talk and share with other folks who have the same interest in harbour lights and lighthouses,, you can call me anything you want!
That's nice you welcome me. Although, I say that with a slight twitch. And regarding "more about me". you should go back and read my many posts in the short time with you. I believe I've expressed much about myself! and more so than MOST have in the last 2 or 3 weeks!
Is there any of you who have posted 50 posts in the last 3 weeks! Take a look,,,,how many have you posted in that time?
Oh and Judy, I see that your the NELL director! As a newbie, I noticed that thread at the bottom of the board, and was bewildered as to why I couldn't interact with others from that area!
You see my gal and I are planning a lighthouse trip this weekend up there, and wanted to talk with others in that area!
These are the kind questions that came across my mind, and I'm sure, of many other "newbies",, and since I got ya;
-why are you excluding yourself from others on this board?
-are you a club?
-does members of NELL interact with the rest of the board?
-what must you do to be a part of NELL?
-what do you guys do differnetly than the rest of the board?

I'm truly interested for the answers!

You know, back to my point,as to what keeps newbies talking and involved, IT IS sharing with others their simular interests WITHOUT having to prove themselves! AND, the feeling of comradery. Unless, this is a Club? This is kinda ironic for me,,, I ride a motorcycle, and with other bike enthusiests. We were recently confronted by the gang the "Outlaws", who also told us the rules! You see, the patch on our backs included the word Florida! They didn't like that!(I know off topic)

Never the less, I'm sure you see, as all us "newbies" do, there are only about 10 or 15 of you that are continuously active on here!
It's kinda like the new lady at the Bridge party!

Rusty
Re: WHY CAN'T I POST A POLL? #39310 01/13/09 07:42 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
rustyjax,

Anytime you are planning a trip and want some input ahead of time, all you need to do is post that in the Lighthouse Travel Center section here. You'll get answers and lots of help.

If you want to know about NELL, and how to become a member, just click on the link at the bottom of my post. It will take you to the NELL web site.

As to the NELL forum here at the bottom of the Home page, you need to become a NELL member to use that. All are welcome to join. NELL is not really a club. It is a lighthouse preservation group and a chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation. It did have it's start as a Harbour Lights Collector club, and you will see it listed as such on the HL web site.

Now back to the subject of this thread... a few more posts, and you'll be a WACKO whether you want it or not, and can then post polls.

Judy

Judy
Re: WHY CAN'T I POST A POLL? #39311 01/13/09 10:37 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyjax:
this is interesting!

I'm going to have to disagree with the notion that 50 posts are few, and encouraging! I've been on here for several weeks, and everyday, trying to get involved with many of the topics! I've started several discussions, including this one,and still haven't reached that magical level. (not that I care). I believe most new commers are here to talk lighthouses. Why would there have to be an "achievement" to collaborate with all the discussions! I think the sure numbers who are involved is the evidence, this doesn't work!

And Judy, My "Graphics" were not to be-little your status of "Wacko". You see, My whole point was,, it shouldn't be about the number of posts. And, I simply don't care about the prestige of that honor status. I'm kinda thinking you guys see this, more so, as a "Club" rather than a talk forum. I'm on here only to talk and share with other folks who have the same interest in harbour lights and lighthouses,, you can call me anything you want!
That's nice you welcome me. Although, I say that with a slight twitch. And regarding "more about me". you should go back and read my many posts in the short time with you. I believe I've expressed much about myself! and more so than MOST have in the last 2 or 3 weeks!
Is there any of you who have posted 50 posts in the last 3 weeks! Take a look,,,,how many have you posted in that time?
Oh and Judy, I see that your the NELL director! As a newbie, I noticed that thread at the bottom of the board, and was bewildered as to why I couldn't interact with others from that area!
You see my gal and I are planning a lighthouse trip this weekend up there, and wanted to talk with others in that area!
These are the kind questions that came across my mind, and I'm sure, of many other "newbies",, and since I got ya;
-why are you excluding yourself from others on this board?
-are you a club?
-does members of NELL interact with the rest of the board?
-what must you do to be a part of NELL?
-what do you guys do differnetly than the rest of the board?

I'm truly interested for the answers!

You know, back to my point,as to what keeps newbies talking and involved, IT IS sharing with others their simular interests WITHOUT having to prove themselves! AND, the feeling of comradery. Unless, this is a Club? This is kinda ironic for me,,, I ride a motorcycle, and with other bike enthusiests. We were recently confronted by the gang the "Outlaws", who also told us the rules! You see, the patch on our backs included the word Florida! They didn't like that!(I know off topic)

Never the less, I'm sure you see, as all us "newbies" do, there are only about 10 or 15 of you that are continuously active on here!
It's kinda like the new lady at the Bridge party!
You know I was going to answer your queries one by one but as I started to type this I decided not to.

You already have your mind made up and have indicted us by your standards.

Simply put - there is no intent open or hidden to keep you from joining in with things here.

You are free to ask questions, post comments, etc. You ahve proved that this is the case simply by starting this thread and interacting with others about the subject herein.

Yes there are certain things that cannot be done by everybody the minut they find this place- involving oneself in the major aspects of the site is not one of those things newbies have no access to.

big whoop- you can't have a silly little photo above your nmae and you can't formulate an "official" poll. You found an end around that restriction didn't you? Just as you found the easily identified flaw in the 50 posts to be a Wacko.

The reason that most of us don't post 50 posts in a week or two these days is that there are less and less people coming in and stirring up things. we've talked things to death here and in some ways it's up to the new blood to keep things going.

Five years ago we would have 40-50 people actively posting on any given day and literally hundreds of posts on dozens of topics- some that got quite contentious at times.

The collecting game has cooled down and hence the slowdown here as well.

We still have some people that post just about every day but for that to happen something new and or exciting has to be addressed- like the Founder's collection or photos from a trip or someone asking for help in planning a trip or a newbie giving us thier background in HL lighthouses and or real lighthouses.

I suggest you stop worrying so much about what you aren't able to do (and not for long) and focus on what you are able to do but aren't doing because your complaining about inconsequential things.

If you think I'm not being friendly or am attacking you personally please don't think that. My intent is to be welcoming and answer your questions and assist you in any way I can- I'm just a bit puzzled at your reaction to that assistance and explanations from myself and others.

Dennis

Re: WHY CAN'T I POST A POLL? #39312 01/13/09 10:52 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Dennis - Thank you for taking the time to answer what the majority of us feel. We have all paid our dues and in the 8 years I have been posting cannot remember anyone else bringing this subject up. There have been questions about why I can't get an Avatar, but, once it was explained the members went on and made their posts to get to Wacko status. I guess in the true sense of things, you get what you earn and the rules are the rules. You don't think the Gators would have won another National Championship without a lot of hardwork, sweat, teamwork and following the coach's rules.

Rich
Re: WHY CAN'T I POST A POLL? #39313 01/14/09 11:12 PM
C
Cuckolds Offline
C
Well said there Rich...Direct to the point....I like that a lot....I'm a Newbie too and I expect to pay my dues...

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users