Print Thread
This is a Test #39125 05/26/98 09:49 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Italicized emphasis using HTML (HyperText Markup Language - the scripting language of web pages) may be possible by surrounding the text you wish to emphasize with HTML tags.

Emphasized! is created by placing the 'em' and '/em' tags on either side of the word. Enclose these tags with angle brackets .

Example:
More italics
{em| More italics {/em|

substitute:
- the less-than symbol for {
- the greater-than symbol for |
Why we had to use this substitute characters in the example is explained in the 'Beware Angle Brackets' thread.

If this doesn't work it'll look kinda silly - if so, kindly ignore my fumbling.

Rgds,
__
/im [stick around - we'll all be webmasters yet!]

OK - looks like it works. Feel free to try out this technique or practice by appending to this thread rather than creating a new topic. Thanks.

[This message has been edited.]

Re: This is a Test #39126 05/27/98 07:22 AM
L
Lorraine Healy Offline
L
WOW, it WORKS . AND, I'm learning new HTML skills! Thanks JTA! Now that we've mastered italicization, how about underlining?????

Re: This is a Test #39127 05/27/98 07:23 AM
L
Lorraine Healy Offline
L
JTA, it didn't work for me when I used the squiggely brackets {}, but it DID when I used the angle brackets...

works {em| NOT works {/em|

:-)-8-<=

Re: This is a Test #39128 05/27/98 10:20 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Works GREAT! Big deal - so how do we make it Big? And how do we set a color oh master?

Re: This is a Test #39129 05/27/98 12:08 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
How about this John?

use: font size=? at the beginning with a less than and greater than sign around it, there is a space between font and size.
use: /font after it with the less than and greater than signs around it
use sizes 1-8 or so (size 2 is about the size of the fonts already, 6 is what I used above)
for color use: font color="ff000" at the beginning with the less than and greater than signs around it. Space between font and color
use: /font after it with the less than and greater than size around it also. The 5 digit number/letters represent what the color is. Use the link below for a color chart and their number/letter combinations. The "ff000" above happens to be the number for red.
You can combine size and color together in the same tag ie: font size=6 color="ff000" all within the less than and greater than signs. This tells it to make the statement size 6 with a red color. Use spaces between the 3 different parts of the tag. End the tag with the same /font within less than and greater than signs. If you click on "edit" of this note, you will see what the top tag looks like.
RGB Color Chart:
http://www.phoenix.net/~jacobson/rgb.html

-RodW

[This message has been edited by Rod Watson.]

Re: This is a Test #39130 05/28/98 12:05 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
>>JTA, it didn't work for me when I used the squiggely brackets {}, but it DID when I used the angle brackets...

Right Lorraine. HTML tags are encapsulated by the 'less than' and 'greater than' symbols. Anything inside these symbols along with the symbols themselves is interpreted by your browser as a meta-language, ie., characters used to describe characters - as such these are not displayed. (Otherwise we'd see the tags - the magic behind the curtain - and this would be hard to read.) Therefore, my example could not show these symbols because the browser would see them as HTML and not display them. It was thus necessary to use substitute characters which you the user need to translate into the 'less than' and 'greater than' symbols.

Simple, eh? [g] Obviously you figured it out!

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: This is a Test #39131 05/28/98 12:21 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Thanks for the follow through, Rod - good job. All we need are some macros so we don't spend time writing HTML along with our messages. Now we know what monks felt like doing illuminated manuscripts!

'Course most of the GUI gals and guys don't appreciate how easy Weendoz has made their lives. Back in ancient times all we had was the ASCII character set and a vi editor. A 10mb disk drive cost $2000 and took 3 men to lift. Why one day I had to walk 20 miles through the snow just to reboot my computer... yadda yadda yadda

Rgds,
__
/im (Try doing HTML with voice type dictation, heh heh).

Re: This is a Test #39132 05/29/98 01:24 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
testing

testing

This is scary. I am learning new computer tricks.

Re: This is a Test #39133 06/06/98 12:11 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
<...testing>

< ... testing >

< hmmmm >

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,326 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users