cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Please Help Us Answer Questions We Were Asked By Younger & Associates about the Reunion. #38873 06/17/98 07:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We just had a long conversation with the folks at HL and were asked two questions that we and HL would both like to get feedback on.

Does anyone have any idea how many people would like to attend the reunion in there were no limitations?

What would make the reunion special for you?

They asked if you could email them directly and I'd like to see your feedback as well on the forum.

Re: Please Help Us Answer Questions We Were Asked By Younger & Associates about the Reunion. #38874 06/17/98 10:19 PM
B
BuyGlass Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
1. How many people would want to attend the reunion? I can't begin to answer that one. If it was advertised well in advance a pre-registration form could be used. It would give Harbour Lights an early head count on how many people are actually interested in attending the reunion without locking them in. There has to be a better way than the phone fiasco!!!!!

2. What would make the Reunion Special to me?
I would like to see a video presentation of the Design and Production process.

Topics of Interest:
A) Selecting a Lighthouse to produce.
B) How initial photos are taken and historical information is collected.
C) Initial Sculpting through Final Sculpting.
D) Mold Making.
E) Proofs being created.
E) Factory production process.
F) Factory painting process and numbering.
G) Boxing, Warehousing and Shipping.
Basically a film on the initial idea to the end product in the store.

Sean

Re: Please Help Us Answer Questions We Were Asked By Younger & Associates about the Reunion. #38875 06/18/98 12:19 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
How many would attend? Perhaps another couple of hundred, depending on the part of the country and the tariff.

What would make it special? Well I hope we're not going to spend all day Saturday on a bus and a boat. I can visit lighthouses on my own. I'd rather hear from the HL people, preview the newest Harbour Lights, and talk with other collectors.

Perhaps some rooms and topics could be set aside - like a room for 'newbies' and another for regional collectors. 'How to organize a collectors club' could fill 45 minutes as a break-out session.

I second Sean's idea for the 'concept-to-completion' video, including some pictures of what the production looks like in China.

But in the end, I know it will be great. Harbour Lights set a high bar with the 1997 Reunion. I'm sure they'll do their best to raise it for 1998.

Re: Please Help Us Answer Questions We Were Asked By Younger & Associates about the Reunion. #38876 06/18/98 02:19 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
John, love your ideas of breaking into smaller groups by region, desire to establish clubs, "newbie support groups" etc. It would give those sharing a common interest a chance to meet face to face. Face to face, in my humble opinion, means stronger HL support.

Re: Please Help Us Answer Questions We Were Asked By Younger & Associates about the Reunion. #38877 06/18/98 03:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1. Attendance: I've wanted to go the last two years. My wife would love to go. So that's two.

Seriously, I bet 1,500+ especially if we can keep the cost as they have. But, it really needs to be a little longer. Right now, its only one evening, the next day and the next morning. Am I worng, or really is this enough time.

Since HL probably won't have a reunion in 1999, then the next would be 2000. That's really great, I can just think of the reunion piece, can't you. (ONLY ONE TO MEMBER ATTENDING). This may get a lot of guys to give their wives a new and different Xmas gift. (Ha-Ha)

The easiest way is to have a insert in the winter 98 or fall/spring 99 news letter to be mailed back and counted for how many want to attend the 2000 reunion. They could also take suggestions as to where - But Bill does pick good spots. Also, please let's not have it in the WINTER, why not late summer or early September.

2. Reunion Specials:

A. Second Sean's idea, I really want to see how they do it from beginning to end. (Maybe we will catch a mistake being made - Ha-Ha).
B. A lighthouse tour is great, I'll go, but sonething else is needed for those that don't want a tour. (Don't make it to good tho, then I won't go on the Lighthouse tour).
C. It would be nice to meet a real honest to god "Lightkeeper" and have him talk to us.
D. Honoring of a chosen "Lightkeeper" (deceased or alive) for what they have done.
E. Bill answering all the questions ever wanted answered by "WE" the collector's (We'll let him sit down for this one).
F. Have a selection of Lighthouses that HL has already chosen - say 5 or 6 for the reunion members to vote on to be picked for the next years member pieces and next "Xmas" piece.

I'll stop and let others add to this..No matter what, if I go I'll have fun.

[This message has been edited by Richard.]

Re: Please Help Us Answer Questions We Were Asked By Younger & Associates about the Reunion. #38878 06/18/98 03:10 PM
B
Bob St Clair Offline
B
I find HL needs to exhaust their efforts and energy on solving current problems, i.e. shipping dates, quality control, and mailing out members publications ( have not gotten my spring publication yet).

If members reunion is going to be a high priority, then make room for all members or rename the reunion to "Dial a chance Gathering"

Remember raising your children or maybe when you were growing up....its your birthday and you are having a party, guess what you either invite the whole cl****or none at all...maybe you still practice this don;t eat infront of others unless you have enough for all to share.

When HL reunion if an open event I plan to attend and like some earlier writers I would rather have seminars to attend then spending my day on boats/buses.

My last coment to HL lets get back to basics give me as a collector 3 maybe 4 new Lights a year and ship on time. Introducing
5 to 10 a year and not shipping timely is not my way of taking care of business.

I will keep the flame and hope that HL keeps on a steady course.

By the way met Bill Younger last year at The Plum Tree in Lake Charles, La. Very nice gentleman, missed him in Baton Rouge this year but did have the event pieve signed and shipped.

Bob
Re: Please Help Us Answer Questions We Were Asked By Younger & Associates about the Reunion. #38879 06/19/98 05:53 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>>What would make the reunion special for you?

Don't get me wrong - missing only a handful I'm a hard core collector, but I still enjoy the real thing more than the model. So here's my suggestion:

Cruise through the Reunion on the Reunion Cruise. Hold it on a boat - a nice comfy luxo-boat. Tool along the coast visiting lighthouses. Special night time visits so the landlubbers among us can get a greater appreciation of what these aids to navigation are all about. Lighthouse historians to give presentations on local history. Cabins can be set aside for all the 'indoor' activities suggested by St. John.

This would be great for the next reunion held on the Great Lakes - from Split Rock to Sunken Rock. See America in lighthouses. A remembrance for a lifetime!

Rgds,
__
/im [ also, a nice lighthouse model done especially for Reunion attendees is another neat idea... ;-> ]

Re: Please Help Us Answer Questions We Were Asked By Younger & Associates about the Reunion. #38880 06/26/98 01:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
True. Tim, a nice lighthouse model done especially for attendees is a neat idea...If it is open to those of us who truly want to attend. I will not elloborate here, but you can read my posting under your guest editorial for my thoughts. Please do not think I am personnally attacking you, I just feel a lillte different on some issues...

What I will send to HL is this:

1. Attendance should be open to anyone who can make it. I would bet it would only be about 1000 people able to do this.

2. What would make it special is the video presentation refered to here (great idea Sean), an oppuritunity to purchase retired items, and just being able to rub shoulders with other lighthouse admirer's like myself. I also like Tim's idea about a cruise, especially at night!

Bill

Re: Please Help Us Answer Questions We Were Asked By Younger & Associates about the Reunion. #38881 06/26/98 03:53 PM
LamarB Offline
You all have some great ideas. Especially the video showing how HL's are made.

I love real lighthouses, too and look forward to seeing plenty of the real thing through the Reunion tours and the tours John Chidester arranged and some we plan to see on our own. Riding on boats and busses to see lighthouses is OK with me, but there ARE limits.

I had a great time at the last Reunion. It's hard for me to see how HL could do any better. But, I bet they will. Lots of opportunity to chat with HL people, other collectors, etc. and some fun and informative activities, too. And lots of neat giveaways.

I almost can't wait.

Re: Please Help Us Answer Questions We Were Asked By Younger & Associates about the Reunion. #38882 06/28/98 11:51 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
A few thoughts and answers that came out of questions I and others asked of Harbour Lights about the 98 Reunion.

We will be on busses and boats on Saturday a good part of the day. The final planning still needs to be done, but I believe HL will tell us ahead of the Reunion which ones we'll be seeing so that those coming beforehand will be able to plan which others to see on their own.

HL has 'cornered' almost every Tour Bus within a good radius of Providence to handle the 700+ people expected to be there (44 to a bus, that means about 17 and one or two very good size day cruise boats. A good suggestion I heard put to HL was to assign individuals to particular buses for the day.

I suggested in the future the program run a day longer - not just from Friday pm to Sunday am but through the end of the day Sunday.

There was good reception to the break out seminar/meeting opportunities, but for that to happen this year, we'll be up VERY early on Saturday and late to bed VERY early Sunday.

Too bad you couldn't have been at the Sunday Seminar of Bill's - the top door prize: An all-expenses paid trip to the 1998 Collectors Reunion!. Since I left befor the Seminar started, I don't know who won yet, but will report it in my wrap-up on Rosemont.

HL is response to the answer to this question Karen posted. By all means if you are heading to the Reunion, be heard!!

Next Reunion? Got some hints. I'll tell you about them in a week or two.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 856 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users