Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The NEXT Reunion after 1998 #38824 07/01/98 11:08 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
There were snippets of talk at Rosemont about what might follow the 1998 Reunion. HL has already said they won't hold a reunion every year - suggesting that every 2-3- or even 4 years might be the pattern.

However, they see the Millennium year of 2000 as an opportunity for the next reunion. Some of us at Rosemont were thinking of Baltimore as a great location - with the LS Chesapeake in the inner harbor and the Seven Foot Knoll (not troll) light also moved there. Lots of lights to look at up and down the Chesapeake and just a traffic jam away from the Nation's Capital. Centrally located, good air service, etc.

We did hear that at the next reunion, it just could be open to almost all who want to come. HL might contract with hotels for group fares, but making reservations would be on your own with the contracted ones or the motel 6 down the street. Programs could be held at a convention center or major hotel, perhaps arranged with smaller groups of attendees by session or topic.

Keep in mind much of this is speculation and conjecture and certainly nothing is firm about it.

What do you think?

[This message has been edited by JChidester.]

Re: The NEXT Reunion after 1998 #38825 07/01/98 03:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't say things like this John, you got me all worked up on the Trading Cards(Ha-Ha).

This sounds just great to me. Being from Alexandria, Virginia. Baltimore Inner Harbour is a great location with lots of things. Its got great shopping, the USS Constitution, the Baltimore Aquarium, a WWII submarine, two Coast Guard Ships, last time I was there, they had two Russian War Ship visiting. Its got good places to eat (Both cheap and expensive). The BALLPARK is across the street. There are several Hotels across and down the street. Washington D.C. is just around the corner, and it has a really great (FREE) ZOO. You really could not ask for a better place. This is the type of location that people can set up a (7) day vacation and come to the reunion and after, stay for a really great family vacation with all that there is to do around their. If HL is really not going to have a reunion in 99, then they need to get everything set up far in advance for the 2000 reunion. The collectors need to be contacted and asked if they want to go, so they can get a head count far ahead of time. If we are in several hotels and have to travel to a convention center if won't be as much fun as being all togeather. Please, SPEAK LOUD, lets extend the reunion a full day, this will really turn it into a SPECTACULAR EVENT. AND REMEMBER - ONLY ONE REUNION PIECE TO A MEMBER, AND NO SOCIETY PIECE PLEASE.

Re: The NEXT Reunion after 1998 #38826 07/07/98 08:35 AM
L
Lorraine Healy Offline
L
I agree with both St. John and Richard that Baltimore would be a GREAT location for HLY2K Reunion, for ALL the reasons mentioned. The Greater Washington DC area has so many things to see and do you could spend a week there and STILL not have time to hit everything. I would recommend avoiding the summer months to reduce the number of weather related injuries. I've been there in August and don't recommend it to friends. :-) Some one, (John?), tossed out the idea of the Statue of Liberty for the Y2K piece and that idea is really haunting me.
Lorraine

Re: The NEXT Reunion after 1998 #38827 07/08/98 12:14 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>> Baltimore would be a GREAT location for HLY2K Reunion

As a native of Washington D.C. growing up on the South side of the Potomac, am I entitled to say I'm scared to death of any event that might involve Maryland drivers. (g,d&r)

>>the idea of the Statue of Liberty for the Y2K piece

Film maker Ken Burns did an interesting piece on the Statue of Liberty - though it got a tad off focus toward the end. Very much worth watching. Quite controversial in its day, the SoL served the function of a navigational aid simply by its shear size and lit torch, but this was not the purpose of its creation.

Rgds.
__
/im

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 809 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users