Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Reunion Recap #38813 10/16/98 09:50 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Yes, John. We've been waiting patiently for a recap. I hope all you lucky attendees can fill in the other 25,000 society members that weren't able to attend.
I was expecting a little more when the Reunion was happenning. I understand that you can't attend, participate and report at the same time.
Then I waited for a recap the following week.
We'll now its October 16th, how about it!
Thanks guys!!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Reunion Recap #38814 10/16/98 07:40 PM
B
BuyGlass Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
First of all I think the reunion was great and that the HL Family went overboard as has become the Reunion Standard for me.
Thanks!!!! Maureen, Kim, Bill for once again giving back to your Collectors!!!! I always feel like I should write you another check when I leave. If only I were independantly wealthy!! Darn :-)

Things I liked that changed from Reunion One:
1. The added Auction of Reunion Items and Harbour Lights Bloopers & Blunders.
2. The way that door prizes were given out. Much faster than the 1st Reunion and the Best Items saved for last kept everyone on the edge of their seat.
3. The Comedian was great!!!

Things I missed, didnt like or wouldnt like:
1. For the Reunion Attendance to become any larger than this year. Reunion One was the best. This year seemed less intimate and more rushed. I spent less time with my friends. There seemed to be less time to mill about the hotel. Needs to go back to a Friday, Saturday, Sunday Format. Collectors need to make this a vacation. Not a weekend off from work.
2. For the Reunion to move into a Convention Center Atmosphere and have everyone staying at multiple hotels. Multiple meaning more than 2.
3. Don't let the Reunions be hosted by clubs instead of Harbour Lights. Keep it under Harbour Lights Control. Clubs could arrange Lighthouse Tours around the Reunion or any other side trips before and after the Reunion.
4. Would like to see a couple of Previews for the new year like was done at Reunion One.
5. No more Drum and Fife corps indoors. LOUD!

More to come,

Sean

Re: Reunion Recap #38815 10/17/98 08:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For me, who back in May suggested under the "I'd Like to See Them Make" section of the Forum, that HL do a Seven-Foot Knoll, as well as for everyone who weren't fortunate enough to attend the 98 Reunion - - tell us a little more about the previewed Society Piece. Of course we have heard that it is a "sworn secret" (wink, wink) but a couple of details would be appreciated. Q1 How big is it in comparison to say, Thomas Point HL? Q2 Confirm that it is being depicted "in the water" rather than where it now is at the Inner Harbor.

Re: Reunion Recap #38816 10/17/98 10:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'll just add one of my many Highlights of the reunion. I was on the morning boat portion of the lighthouse tour, well not long after we left I went to the back of the boat on the upper deck and saw Fred with a fishing rod. I watched for a while as he got setup and began trolling, it wasn't 10 minutes and he had a fish on he began shouting orders "CUT THE ENGINE, GET ME A NET, THIS ONE'S HUGE. After a short fight Fred hauls in a nice Sea Bass with Bill himself manning the net. next thing I know Ken is hauling it off to clean it and Loraine is setting up a George Foreman grill ( as seen on TV ) and were cookin fish at 9:00 in the morning, and I must say it was nice to have a tasty little snack to hold us over untill lunch. Needless to say, I don't need to tell you how fred had used his 2 free drink coupons.

Fred, Thanks again for the snack
Mark

Re: Reunion Recap #38817 10/18/98 12:56 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Quote:
Things I missed, didnt like or wouldnt like:
1. For the Reunion Attendance to become any larger than this year. Reunion One was the best. This year seemed less intimate and more rushed. I spent less time with my friends. There seemed to be less time to mill about the hotel. Needs to go back to a Friday, Saturday, Sunday Format. Collectors
need to make this a vacation. Not a weekend off from work.

Sean, I agree completely with this observation. For Sue and I the '97 Reunion had an atmosphere of comraderie and a relaxed pace that was largely missing at Rhode Island.

I've been debating with myself about posting Reunion impressions - particularly in light of the initial gushing responses.

I'll take some flack for this but in Providence there were too many people crowded into a too compressed schedule that was punctuated by too much standing in lines with too little organization. Lots of comparisons could be made with the first Reunion, but a simple one that comes to mind: picking up a box lunch (complete with thumbnail surprise) when stepping off the bus in SD vs. the confused herding at 'Bill's BBQ'.

I agree with you that the events of Friday-Saturday should have spread across Thursday Friday and Saturday. Take half the group for half a day on the bus trip and the other half on the boat. Then flip bus and boat the next day. The remainder of the half days could be devoted to allowing folks to participate in events as they choose at a more leisurely pace. The ornament painting and chat by the Coast Guard commander as done in San Diego are examples of the type of events I have in mind.

450 people is enough - 750 is too many. This was exacerbated by the physical layout of the Westin which, imo, is not designed for a group of the size we had. In retrospect I'd trade the chance of being left out for a smaller attendee size. I'm quite certain many will disagree.

At some point I probably will do a fuller write up of recollections. The highpoint of the RI event was the boat trip - I really enjoy seeing lights from the water. And the post-event trip to Rose Island was thoroughly enjoyable.

Rgds,
__
/im [you weren't disappointed we didn't have the fife and drum corp play at breakfast on Saturday morning? ;-> ]

Re: Reunion Recap #38818 10/18/98 07:23 AM
R
Rich Boyes Offline
R
I agree with many of the impressions of Sean and Tim. The HL family and staff did their best to provide a personal atmosphere and a quality program for a large group of people. Most of the time it worked. The HL folks were personable, visible,and approachable. The programs were enjoyable and informative.

The Saturday schedule was a 15 hour marathon with virtually no downtime. I would have appreciated a more relaxed pace that would have been possible with an additional day. Although the main dining room at the Westin accomodated the group very well, the other rooms (as well as the clambake tent) were too small for the number of people involved.

On balance, the Reunion was a great succcess and I'm glad I went.

I have mixed feelings about a smaller Reunion in the future. While it would probably be more personal for the lucky few, it would create winners and losers among those who would wish to attend. A very large event would also preclude certain types of activities that many people enjoy. The HL family and collectors need to discuss the pros and cons.

Re: Reunion Recap #38819 10/18/98 07:29 PM
J
JnJpriest Offline
J
This being our first reunion, we would like to add our comments. Unfortunately, with my work schedule, we were not able to come early or stay late. We drove from Indianapolis (16.5 hours). We did arrive mid-afternoon on Thursday and had the opportunity to mill around the hotel & city for most of Friday. Then the "schedule" took over! Would have loved to have had a little more "free" time to meet people that we wanted to meet. We had been chatting with some folks from PA. all year that were attending the reunion and it took us until Saturday afternoon to find them! Don't get us wrong, we enjoyed the reunion very much, but by the time we got home, we needed a vacation to rest!!! The Younger family put on a great event, but we agree with alot of people that it should be spread out over another day or so.

Re: Reunion Recap #38820 10/20/98 07:31 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks for all the plus and minuses?
But I'm kind of looking for a journal of what you did and what info you discovered? People you met? Hl's you saw. HLs you acquired? I know you went on lighthouse tours, diners,etc.
TELL ME A COUPLE OF UNFORGETABLE EXPERIENCES!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Reunion Recap #38821 10/20/98 10:03 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Quote:
...what info you discovered?

During our 3,300 mile driving trip to and from Wisconsin, we discovered:

A Valentine radar detector is a good investment.

There are *no* bugs in Newport, Rhode Island.

In New England, any geographical area having at least two commercial structures within ½ mile of each other is required to have a statue of a Civil War soldier.

Cape Cod has the highest per capita ratio of Donut Shops in the U.S.

Mystic Pizza is *really really* good pizza.

For some odd reason a tourbus full of HL collectors does not make a lighthouse more photogenic.

Every third car in Connecticut is a Volvo.

Maine ain't cheap.

The town of Amsterdam, New York is built on a 45 degree angle and its easy to get lost there at night.

If you built a restaurant in Freeport that served breakfast you could make a mint.

Puffins are really lobsters with wings.

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: Reunion Recap #38822 10/20/98 10:10 PM
Art Offline
Hey, Tim, Did you see those lobsters with wings the same night you were lost in Amsterdam? -LOL

-Art
Re: Reunion Recap #38823 10/21/98 08:24 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>>Did you see those lobsters with wings the same night you were lost in Amsterdam? <<

Whatever they were they tasted like chicken. ;->

Going through Hammond, Indiana we saw thousands of winged monkeys in bell-hop suits backlit by a full moon carrying copies of Windows 98 released by Bill Gates from Schloss Redmond. But then you see a lotta wierd stuff in Hammond.

Rgds,
__
/im ["fly well tonight my pretties!"]

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,425 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users